Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Mouseykins

Behold! The Final Mutant Pet Has Arrived!

Recommended Posts

Final Mutant pet until they decide to introduce a new Neopet that is.

No offense, but I was expecting something more gross and sinister like some of the legacy mutants. This looks more like one of those monsters that'd be more at home in a 60s or 70s Saturday morning kids show if anything.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Personally, I think it's cute. But, it's not very mutanty-ish. It could be more creepy and spooky like some of the others. It kind of feel like they were lacking some inspiration for this one. It's still cute though!

Link to post
Share on other sites

What... what on earth happened here?

I mean put it aside the older mutant species and I guess it's ok... but put it against the more detailed and nuanced mutants... and it's a cartoon mess!

4.png4.png4.png4.png

There's virtually no toning or shading... it's all stark lines drawn in a cartoonish pose. 

This fanart is so, so much more in keeping with the mutant ideas: http://www.neopets.com/~Myuung

Link to post
Share on other sites

Why did they not add any shading or depth? This could've turned out really well, but instead it looks like it came out of a coloring book. As a person who loves birds, this is not good.

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are some good ideas in here, but overall it`s a disappointment. In regards of the colour scheme, I would have preferred it if they stuck to purple and green instead of putting pink in the mix too. (Although the green feathers around the neck look like leaves to me).

I like the three eyes and the large beak, I also like the talons - I do wish the feathers covered the legs all the way. Why does it have braids - does it have hair?? The tentacles are what bother me the most, particularly the placement on the body, if you know what I mean. I get that they were trying to do something with the tail, but the tentactles should not have been part of it at all, it clashes with the rest of the body and just looks weird. For me, a couple of changes would have made this a better Mutant pet.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, this clearly wasn't drawn by the same artist that did the marble Draik, was it! Though... a PB like that is just a recolour of an existing shape and this is an entire body being designed. But yeah, so flat.

I mean I actually rather like it, and didn't know what to expect seeing people's responses on the all activity page before actually getting into the thread, it's not as bad as I was fearing! But I can fully understand people's various disappointments.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Secre said:

This fanart is so, so much more in keeping with the mutant ideas: http://www.neopets.com/~Myuung

Now that's what I'm talking about! 

39 minutes ago, aleu1986 said:

Why does it have braids - does it have hair?? The tentacles are what bother me the most,

Didn't notice the braids until you mentioned it and now I can't unsee it oh my god

That fanart page replaces the tentacles with what look like rat tails and it's so much better.

Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, aleu1986 said:

There are some good ideas in here, but overall it`s a disappointment. In regards of the colour scheme, I would have preferred it if they stuck to purple and green instead of putting pink in the mix too. (Although the green feathers around the neck look like leaves to me).

I like the three eyes and the large beak, I also like the talons - I do wish the feathers covered the legs all the way. Why does it have braids - does it have hair?? The tentacles are what bother me the most, particularly the placement on the body, if you know what I mean. I get that they were trying to do something with the tail, but the tentactles should not have been part of it at all, it clashes with the rest of the body and just looks weird. For me, a couple of changes would have made this a better Mutant pet.

I thought they were leaves as well and therefore didn't see the point of them!!

And yep, the tentacles are just odd. And it wouldn't be the first mutant pet not to have them either.

21 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

Well, this clearly wasn't drawn by the same artist that did the marble Draik, was it! Though... a PB like that is just a recolour of an existing shape and this is an entire body being designed. But yeah, so flat.

I mean I actually rather like it, and didn't know what to expect seeing people's responses on the all activity page before actually getting into the thread, it's not as bad as I was fearing! But I can fully understand people's various disappointments.

Or was it? It's also a departure from the previous art style, which is what we saw with both the Marble Draik and the Water Poogle. It's just the different interpretation really worked with those, whereas this just looks... odd. Not as odd as the Ogrin, Fyora help it, but still... odd.

2 minutes ago, CoconutDragon said:

Now that's what I'm talking about! 

Didn't notice the braids until you mentioned it and now I can't unsee it oh my god

That fanart page replaces the tentacles with what look like rat tails and it's so much better.

The two brown fanarts are definitely my preferred take on the Mutant Vangagyre!!

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Secre I don't think it will have been drawn by the same artist because it's not the same skill level. The lack of shading, the weird scrawniness of the tentacles, and, and this is a big thing for me, how forward-facing the face is, that to me is always a sign of a not quite so good artist. (neo has a LOT of handhelds that fall foul of this!) Most sites with pets/avatars etc. they're drawn at a 45 degree angle. The body of this is, but not the head...

 

4.png&key=9ec9ee31c65db91d56b4848fdeffaa This is someone who's pretty good, but got a way to go yet. I mean a talented kid could draw this, couldn't they.

And maybe they did! xD Some artist's son did this! xD

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, jellysundae said:

@Secre I don't think it will have been drawn by the same artist because it's not the same skill level. The lack of shading, the weird scrawniness of the tentacles, and, and this is a big thing for me, how forward-facing the face is, that to me is always a slight of a not quite so good artist. Most sites with pets/avatars etc. they're drawn at a 45 degree angle. The body of this is, but not the head...

 

4.png&key=9ec9ee31c65db91d56b4848fdeffaa This is someone who's pretty good, but got a way to go yet. I mean a talented kid could draw this, couldn't they.

And maybe they did! xD Some artist's son did this! xD

That's why the perspective looks so weird!!! The head is at a different angle to the body!!! I knew it looked odd but couldn't figure out why!

But yes, the level of accomplishment between the recent releases and this is... noticeable!!

Link to post
Share on other sites
48 minutes ago, Secre said:

That's why the perspective looks so weird!!! The head is at a different angle to the body!!! I knew it looked odd but couldn't figure out why!

Ofc it could be because it's turning to look at us in a SOON kind of way...

Imagine a Terminator-type slow head turn.

...

why imagine it!

jCkwHFX.gif

😱

lol.gif

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

We waited nearly a month for THIS?

I don't even understand what's going on with the design. It isn't coherent whatsoever and just looks like they slapped several random weird attributes on there; it's not even drawn very well and just looks really awkward and stiff. Highly disappointed with this one.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Secre said:

One of these is not like the others...

I was gonna say the exact same could be said for the Darigan Vandy too, but looking through them a few are kind of lacklustre.

  • purple - check
  • angry red eyes - check
  • some spikes - check
  • teeth - check

Feels like the artist really wasn't feeling it with some of them and just phoned it in basically.

http://www.neocolours.me.uk/viewpet.php?colour=darigan&species=all&pose=happy+male

But the Vandy def comes out as the MEHiest of them all. If they'd just made the eyes malevolent I think people would have been content.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

wow, that's a... uh... look, alright

it probably could have been good, maybe? i think the artist just added too much stuff in there. it's like the kind of monster i would have designed when i was like, 9 and had no self-control. there's just... so much going on and nothing really meshes very well. plus the colours don't contrast very well

but man oh man, seeing those fanarts that @Secre linked... like i would have happily dropped my entire bank on either of them!!

edit: so i figured out part of the reason that this one looks so bad, there's like no variation in value between the green and the purple, and only a little between them and the pink

i put it next to some other mutant colours, the draik is probably the weakest here and its still better than the vandy

6574785789.png.a0d9ed9d93b5db5ceac82634936cb9eb.png

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, berriganify said:

it's like the kind of monster i would have designed when i was like, 9 and had no self-control. there's just... so much going on and nothing really meshes very well. plus the colours don't contrast very well

You hit the nail on the head! I feel like you just unlocked memories of young me browsing deviantart, looking through everyone's "original OC pls don't steal" art 😂

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...