So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

I'm current;y reading Hannibal - Thomas Harris, The Fellowship of the Ring - Tolkien, A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams, and The Exorcist - William Blatty. Every now and again I'll read a poem or two from Robert Frost, James Andrew Crosby, or Wilfred Owens.

I've tried reading All the Light we Cannot See - Anthony Doerr recently with little success. Does anyone else find it to be a difficult read?

After almost 2 years of reading Battle Magic by Tamora Pierce I finally finished it this weekend. :D

It was such a wonderful book, though I felt the ending was a bit rushed. Could have drawn out the final battle a bit more.

Now I'm onto a much smaller book from The House of Night series, Kalona's Fall by P.C. and Kristin Cast. Let's see how long it takes me to get through this one. Not having much time to read these days really puts a damper on finishing my reading list. :)

I'm current;y reading Hannibal - Thomas Harris, The Fellowship of the Ring - Tolkien, A Streetcar Named Desire - Tennessee Williams, and The Exorcist - William Blatty. Every now and again I'll read a poem or two from Robert Frost, James Andrew Crosby, or Wilfred Owens.

I've tried reading All the Light we Cannot See - Anthony Doerr recently with little success. Does anyone else find it to be a difficult read?

Tennessee Williams is one of my favorite playwrights! If you like ASND, you should definitely try Glass Menagerie.

I am currently reading "I am Malala" a memoir by Malala Yousafzai. It's an emotional read, but well worth it thus far!

• 2 weeks later...

This is going to make me seem incredibly infantile, but I've been reading a lot of picture books lately.  There are these really beautiful and artistic ones, and I just like them a lot.  One that I recommend for young kids is One by Kathryn Otoshi.  It has these very simple water color drawings, but it's really well done and the story is poignant without being too obvious.  A lot of kids check out when they sense a message, but this book is pretty subtle.

• 1 month later...

I absolutely love Neil Gaiman and read most of his books, but didn't like Good Omens, his collaboration with Terry Pratchett! I think I just wasn't into the style of the book, and it seems to drag on forever....But I know so many people who really enjoyed it and I respect that we have different book tastes!

Ooh have you read Good Omens? I love that book! Aziraphale & Crowley are such cool characters (and names) love it :D

By the way has anyone read A Clockwork Orange? I know it's meant to be pretty disturbing and graphic but it's ranked as one of the top 100 english novels so maybe it's worth a read. Just wanted to know if any of you guys would recommend it. I've read some pretty hard-hitting stuff (lolita by nabokov was both horrible and very well-written) so it shouldn't like...I don't know, traumatise me or anything.

We need to read To Kill A Mockingbird for English class this year. I want to read more books (still need to read the Discworld!) but unfortunately I need to read at least 3 books for my project and two more for Dutch class, not forgetting English and German literature. Sigh.

I'm reading two books at the same time as well. I'm finishing X-Men: Mutant Empire Book 3- Salvation by Christopher Golden. The other book is The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde.

We need to read To Kill A Mockingbird for English class this year. I want to read more books (still need to read the Discworld!) but unfortunately I need to read at least 3 books for my project and two more for Dutch class, not forgetting English and German literature. Sigh.

Discworld is an amazing series, I highly recommend it to anyone and everyone.

I am finally getting around to reading Gone Girl. I never saw the movie, but my friend insisted the book was far superior so I'm taking a crack at it.

• 4 weeks later...

This semester I am taking an Intro to Science Fiction class and our last book is The Parable of the Sower by Octavia Butler. I can't say that I find it all that sci-fi so far. We just finished The Man in the High Castle by Philip K. puppyblew which was a pretty standard AU tale until the end and then I was like what just happened for a few days. There's quite a bit of difference between the book and the Amazon show. 

EDIT: omg I am dying at the filter on here. Here's to hoping that you recognize the author since I apparently can't post his last name. 

Right now I'm rereading The Secret Diary of Lizzie Bennet. There's a series on youtube named The Lizzie Bennet Diaries, a version of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice set in this world with Elizabeth being a vlogger. The book I'm reading is written by the same character, and gives more info of that world than the yt version does. I've read it about a year ago as well, and after I lend it to a friend I actually wanted to reread it, before reading the semi-sequel ('written' by her little sister Lydia)

I'm reading a Dutch book called 'De Tweeling' which translates to 'the twins' and is about two sisters (twins of course) who grew up in totally different homes during world war 2. In the meanwhile I'm also reading the first book of A Song of Ice and Fire in English as I have finished the tv series :)

• 7 months later...

I'm currently reading an ebook, Breakers by Edward W. Robertson.  It's proving to be interesting so far.  I guess you would call it apocalyptic, since there is a large scale event that wipes out a lot of the population of the world quite quickly.  The story began before the event, and I'm kind of in the 'immediate aftermath' bit of the story, following two different characters, one in NYC and one in L.A.  These kinds of books fascinate me and terrify me in equal measure, but they also tend to make me a bit depressed, so I have to be careful to limit my consumption of them.  As the story so far is reasonably dispassionate in the way it's being told, I'm doing better with not getting so down.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck and Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser for School Summer Reading Project. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare for my own enjoyment and I like Tamora Pierce and Rick Riordan books.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck and Fast Food Nation by Eric Schlosser for School Summer Reading Project. City of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare for my own enjoyment and I like Tamora Pierce and Rick Riordan books.

I'm also reading City of Bones by Cassandra Clare at the same time, except I keep putting it down and reading other things.  I found the first two thirds of the book really engaging but then an event happened that I could see coming and it annoyed me so I put the book down for a few weeks and haven't really gotten back into it when I have picked it up again.  A friend has loaned me the whole series and I really need to get them read and returned.

I also like Tamora Pierce but I've never read Rick Riordan, although my son has the first couple of books in the Percy Jackson series.