So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

I bought this today

21415120.jpg

Started reading it on the bus on the way home from work. Got into it right away. I normally read Viking/Saxon historic fiction, so this is a little different.

I've been reading Les Miserables by Victor Hugo. It's really a great book, but it's so long and involved. It'll take me a while to finish.

Are you reading it in French or English? Also are you reading the whole book because I've heard it's huge and crazy to read. In French class last year we read a shortened version of it and I really liked it!

Are you reading it in French or English? Also are you reading the whole book because I've heard it's huge and crazy to read. In French class last year we read a shortened version of it and I really liked it!

Oh goodness, English. I know some French, but I'm not nearly proficient enough to understand a book like that. (Even some of the English words confuse me.)

I believe it's the unabridged version. 900-something pages, with rather small print. :)

For the moment, though, I'm actually taking a break from it to reread my favorite book, Ella Enchanted. I don't know how many times I've read this book and still love it.

Currently working on a few different books:

Feast for Crows - George R.R. Martin

Into the Wild - Jon Krakauer

Better Off Dead - Katie Alender

Oh I've been meaning to get into Martin's series, so please don't tell me if you're not liking it :P

I'm still in the midst of the 9th book in James Patterson's Women's Murder Club series. I'm in a bit of a reading lull at the moment and I find that his books are so simply written (not in a bad way though) that they keep me engaged with reading something when I'm not in the mood to.

I've been reading Kerouac's On The Road for the past couple weeks. It's really good, but it's sort of hard to read a lot in one sitting because of the rambling, stream-of-consciousness style or writing. Also, I really dislike one of the main characters, (Dean) which makes it harder to read.

Currently reading The Alchemyst: The Secrets of the Immortal Nicholas Flamel by Michael Scott. A bit of light reading to pass the time. It's pretty interesting so far, but there are 6 books in the series, I think? Hoping it keeps up and doesn't disappoint :)

Although The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho is also highly recommended :P

Oh I've been meaning to get into Martin's series, so please don't tell me if you're not liking it :P

I do enjoy it, but some parts are admittedly slow. I'm hitting the books everyone says are way too boring and drawn out. I don't know though... while I do agree, I still think that the exciting parts make up for it!

Let's see, since my last posting, I've read Beowulf (Seamus Heaney's translation -- we had to read 3 different translations in AP English, and I actually couldn't even remember the story because our teacher had us so focused on the trees instead of the forest...), I Am Malala: the girl who stood up for education and was shot by the Taliban (which I had mixed feelings about... nothing but respect for her as a person, obviously), The Rag and Bone Shop (which was pretty interesting, but I felt like the ending pushed it over the top and detracted from its overall message), Flora & Ulysses: The Illuminated Adventures (the current Newbery Medal book -- I never thought a poem allegedly written by a squirrel could make me cry), Shelter and its sequel Seconds Away (I thought Shelter was just okay, but the second one was a pretty decent mystery, and now I can't wait for the third one, even though there are things that happen that aren't very believable), and some rereads (To Kill a Mockingbird and the first two Sammy Keyes books -- I'm rereading the whole series in anticipation of the last book coming out soon).

I'm currently in the middle of listening to Roots: the Saga of an American Family.

After reading some reviews, I've decided not to read the Matched trilogy. Sure, it was a present, but my brother only picked it out for me because my sister for some unknown reason told him that I was really interested in it -- I'd never heard of it, and when he read the description, he was thinking, "Really?" So I know he won't be offended (just miffed at my sister). I'll sell it at my used bookstore (the box set is still shrink-wrapped) and get something else for it. I just can't, not after the horror that was Allegiant. I was skeptical of Divergent but gave it a chance because of good reviews (including from friends) -- but Matched doesn't even have that going for it, and I'm even more skeptical of the storyline. I hate love triangles (and am not a fan of romance in general), and I'm often impatient with world-building, especially if there seems to be little logic (*cough* Allegiant *cough*).

So... I'm currently out of books to read! I must get me to the library and remedy that. Any recommendations?

Siniri, have you read the Maze Runner trilogy, by James Dashner? The first movie is coming out next month, so it would be a good time to read them.

Most of the other books that I've loved and would suggest are more along the lines of children's fantasy, and I don't know what kind of books you like.

As for me, I've continued my trend of procrastinating Les Mis, and have been reading more Gail Carson Levine books. Easy reading, but I love her fairy tales. :)

I just finished On the Road (finally!). I'm now reading The Clocks by Agatha Christie. I'm about a quarter of the way through and it's really good! Some of her books can be kind of dull, especially if you're like me and read And Then There Were None first and expected all of her other books to be like that. But it's really good and interesting, and I'm even taking notes to see if I can keep up and figure out who did it before Poirot does :laughingsmiley:

Currently I'm reading She is the Darkness by Glen Cook. It's part of the Black Company series, which I cannot recommend enough. The protagonists have real flaws and the author actually allows them to make mistakes, and sometimes those mistakes have terrible effects. This is what some would call brutal fantasy, not because it's filled with descriptions of gore (there are some in there, but they aren't overly-detailed to get a cheap reaction from the reader) but because everything has consequences that Cook doesn't flinch away from. It's not for everyone, but if you don't mind books that can be a bit dismal at times, I would definitely suggest giving the first book a try.

• 5 weeks later...

Reviving this thread... you're looking at a HUGE bookworm, aha. I'm currently reading Shadowfever by Karen Marie Moning, which is so amazing so far, love! If she sounds familiar, she has a historical highlander series out too!

My sister sent me the Divergent box set for my birthday, so I've been reading Insurgent this week. :D

(By the way, guys, it's Banned Books Week. If you want to participate, find a book that's been banned for whatever reason and read!)

Ah, I read through the Alchemyst in like a day - tried the second book and it was okay. I don't feel too invested in it, though. Probably not going to finish the entire series. The premise is okay, but the flow is a little off, so I stopped after the second book xD

Now that I've been stuck at home for months, I've totally ran out of books to read. :worried:

Okay, I've been a super-busy reader lately. I've finished rereading the first 17 Sammy Keyes (still waiting for the library to get Kiss Goodbye so I can finish the series). And I've read Acceleration by Graham McNamee (winner of best YA mystery Edgar Award, and a really good read, about teens who find a potential serial killer's diary, and decide to track him down before he kills someone), The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary E. Pearson (meh... I guess I spent too much time in bioethics classes in college), Oh, Play That Thing by Roddy Doyle (interestingly, the second book of a trilogy; I was given the first as a present when it was first published over a decade ago, and never realized there were additional books -- I just randomly grabbed the audiobook at the library because I needed a new one... though I have to say it's the worst of his books I've read -- I wasn't sure if it was my change as a person/reader or just a different type of book from him, but it's only got 2.5 stars on Amazon... even the "worst" Roddy Doyle is decent, just way below expectations... I don't think I'll bother finishing the trilogy), Blueberries for Sal by Robert McCloskey (with the kids I babysit for), and The Maze Runner by James Dashner.

Wildbreeze, thanks so much for the recommendation on The Maze Runner. It was amazing (and yes, that was the word I said after finishing it -- the pun was totally unintentional). I listened to the audiobook (because I'd still be waiting for the hard copy...), and I'm sure I would have figured a few things out if I'd seen them written. I can't wait to listen/read the other two books (both are already reserved at the library -- I hope I get the second one in before I have to return the third one!). I haven't been this excited to read a sequel since The Hunger Games.

I'm currently reading Body By You: The You Are Your Own Gym Guide to Total Women's Fitness (because the library only had that, and not the actual You Are Your Own Gym) by Mark Lauren, Advanced Sports Nutrition by Dan Benardot, and Homeless Bird by Gloria Whelan (National Book Award winner about a 13-year-old Indian girl who becomes a widow soon after her arranged marriage -- I'm not very far into it yet).

I will soon be starting Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage by Haruki Murakami (translated by Philip Gabriel).

My sister sent me the Divergent box set for my birthday, so I've been reading Insurgent this week. :D

(By the way, guys, it's Banned Books Week. If you want to participate, find a book that's been banned for whatever reason and read!)

I didn't know it was banned books week! Guess it's a good thing I'm re-reading Lord of the Rings! (All the notes in the beginning are really interesting. He published his books within months of each other! And then sent them in for revisions a few dozen times.)

I'm also reading Heidegeer and a Hippo Walk Through Those Pearly Gates: Using Philosophy (and Jokes!) to Explore Life, Death, the Afterlife and Everything in between.

It's really good. It explores a lot of topics in a way that makes you want to learn. It's light and easily digestible, while having heavy hitter stuff in there too. And the joke are really funny!

As for banned books, one time I read George Carlin during Catholic Mass. That has to count for something.

I am currently reading two books right now:

"The Saturday Wife" by Naomi Ragen

and

"The Dark Witch" by Nora Roberts

I just finished "Wicked Appetite" by Janet Enanovich. It was hilarious!

Now reading Allegiant, and I'm really not sure what I think about it thus far. The switches in POV between Tobias and Tris are a bit confusing... they talk pretty much the same, and I have to remind myself when it's Tobias talking.

I finished Homeless Bird and am currently listening to the landmark speeches of the Rev. Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. The speech at the Lincoln Memorial gave me chills and I actually got teary-eyed. I'd of course heard excerpts before, but listening to the whole thing in its entirety...

I'm also listening to Judy Moody with the babysittees.

I'm still working on Advanced Sports Nutrition. I've finished reading Body By You and am working on learning the routines (though I basically tested out of its pull-up progression, and am near the end of most of the other progressions -- it assumes women are weak, I guess... but I found a similar program on-line to keep building strength).

I would highly recommend "The Golem and the Jinni" by Helene Wecker. I just finished it recently. Fantasy novel, set in New York in the late 19th century. Fantastic description of that era.

@cellestica I've been meaning to read that! Maybe next...