So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

Code Name Verity demonstrate how you can tackle heavy themes without overpowering the story, if the story is engaging and kept always in focus. I'm looking forward to the ending, but as long as [it] end half as strong as the stor[y] so far, I would still recommend [it].

I'm revising my assessment of this book. I still haven't finished it, but I'm about 3/4 of the way through it, and this book has blown me away. I already plan to reread it -- and soon -- and I'll be reading it, not listening to it, so I can flip back and forth between parts. I don't want to spoil anything, but seriously, go read this book. It's the best book I've read in quite a while -- possibly years (and I've read over a hundred books, at least, in the past few years).

ETA: Don't want to make 3 posts about the same book, but I did want to say that after finishing it, I can confirm that it was indeed an excellent book. If you want to read a spy novel, or a historical fiction, or a book with strong likeable female protagonists, or a book with crazy plot twists, or a war novel, or a novel about friendship, or something that will make you laugh and gasp and cry and cheer within minutes of each other... read this book! It should really be made into a movie, too -- it would be difficult, but it could be done.

I am ashamed to say I have a pile of books to get through. I buy them and then my husband buys more for gifts. I also have a Nook he keeps loading up on me. I mean, how can read all of that and still have my Neo and FB time?

I usually read more than one book at at time. Right now it's No. 10 in the Kim Harison Hallows series, "A Perfect Blood". There are 13 books in the series but I'm almost complete. I'm also reading Diane Galbadon's "Written in my Own Heart's Blood" but am losing interest in her Highlander series. It started out with more historical aspects that I liked but I think she's now catering to the online romance groupies. Way to ruin a good series.

I also have begun "Voyagers of the Titantic", a non-fiction book about all the differnt types of people who were on the Titanic from the designers and builders, to the wealthy and not so-travelers, and the staff. Interesting read.

In the meantime, I have a pile of all sorts to begin, including the boxed series of the first five "Game of Thrones" and many mystery series and non-fiction. I think I will start on the newest and last of the series of "Odd Thomas" books by Dean Koontz first. There was a movie made of the first book which I quite liked and I hope they do more movies of the book series.

Ugh, I have a goodreads account with so many books. I usually set a reading goal, but have yet to reach my 15 books a year. I never get the time to sit down to read. I'm trying to make that more of a priority, cause I really like to read. I'm reading A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving right now.

I have a whole stack to get through, but school keeps getting in the way. I have been able to read a few books though. I'm kind of into non-fiction right now, and I found a stack of really great books about Oregon history (I live in Oregon, so I found them quite interesting). I also read the Autobiography of Mark Twain and that was pretty great. A Prayer for Owen Meany has been on my list for quite some time so I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, Teeniem.

I actually finished "The Golem and the Jinni" and I recommend that book. It was really great!!

Has anyone read "Daughter of Smoke and Bone"? I just finished that and I'm going to read the sequel "Days of Blood and Starlight"

I have bought and downloaded SO many books that I need to read. I should make a goal to read at least one book a month. I think I can do that! :)

Right now the only book I'm actively reading is Edith Wharton's The Age of Innocence. It's not necessarily my type of story - the plot is both predictable and a little cheesy - but she has such an amazing grasp on imagery and language that I don't mind slogging through the unfortunate love triangle. Granted, she's commenting on New York society at the time, so I guess I can't really criticize her for the plot. After all, it is supposed to be a reflection of the frivolity and shallowness of the upper crust.

I read The Age of Innocence a couple of years ago and it's one of the few books of that genre that I actually enjoyed. Normally I don't read those kind of books, but I found the ending quite refreshing actually.

I'm currently reading Mr. Tourette on tour by Pelle Sandstrak. The author had Gilles the la Tourette syndrom and he is very impulsive because of that. The book is a collection of encounters he had while he was on tour.

I really like non-fiction books and the way e writes is very down to earth. He also wrote an autobiography calles Mr. Tourette and I about his struggles with his illness that is really worth reading.

I am currently reading a Storm of Swords : Steel and Snow. It's book three of George R. Martins Song of Ice and Fire series and so far it's pretty similar to what was shown in Game of Thrones. A few flourishes were made here and there by the show, mostly for simplicity's sake I'm guessing. At first I couldn't believe just how much was fit into the series, but now as things get more complicated I can see where the show slowed down and got down to details as laid out in the book. I'm thinking by the end of book four I will be up with the show. I may even get there before the next season airs, at the rate I am going!

I am surprised by how easily it is to pick up the language in the books. I find myself saying things or wanting to say things that I could imagine Cersei Lannister say, or Tyrion for that matter.

Last night I actually called my boyfriend sweetling...

My grandpa just lend me One Hundred Years of Solitude and despite the confusing fact that many characters are named the same (or almost), I must say it's pretty addictive!

I'm reading The Maltese Falcon and I'm almost half-way through. It isn't what I expected at all. It's interesting, but all the female characters are one dimensional and stereotypical. I'm not sure yet if Sam Spade is a good guy or not. I'm refraining from looking at the wikipedia page until I finish the book.

@ marthaclark: I'm almost finished with the Game of Thrones books. I've been busy with school, but I'm looking forward to finishing the last book. I might need to start it over since it's been awhile since I started it. While reading the series I referred to wikipedia periodically to help me keep the characters straight with their relationships. Oh my goodness there are a lot of characters!

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished Glazed Murder which was good and included recipes at the end of each chapter which was pretty great!

But I am currently trying to read all of Nicholas Sparks’ books that I haven’t read and all classics. I posted on Facebook asking for a list of good books/classics I should read and received a ton of suggestions. So, that’s what I am starting after these Nicholas Sparks books. I just started The Longest Ride by Nicholas Sparks.

Recently I've listened to As You Like It, The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, My Friend Flicka by Mary O'Hara, and The Cat Among the Pigeons by Agatha Christie. All quite enjoyable.

Next up: Farewell Summer by Ray Bradbury and The Plague by Albert Camus (I read the latter for French class, en français, but I didn't have time to read it properly).

I just finished reading The Glass Palace by Amitav Ghosh. It's really wonderful - it follows several generations of a family in Burma and India over a century, all the way through WW2. Absolutely brilliant look at the colonialist legacy. I'm about to start another of his books. The Hungry Tide.

I am reading a novella called "Running Wilde" by Meg Chambers. I am currently reading this on my Kindle app. I paid a small amount of money through Kickstarter. I also get the part 2 in the summer.

It's about a 50 year old divorced woman that has an affair with a man half her age. A smutty-type book, but so perfect when one is in between more 'serious' books, haha! :thumbsup:

It's a quick, fun read! (: Nothing serious.

I just finished reading Blood Infernal, the last book in the Order of the Sanguines trilogy by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell.

It's a vampire series, but it has a pretty significantly different take on lore and history than I've heard before. It's a really interesting take on a lot of different things, which I've come to expect from James Rollins. If you like adventure books, or vampire books, I'd definitely recommend this series.

Last night I finished reading Unwind by Neal Shusterman. It was an easy and quite enjoyable read, but not much more than that. I didn't find it very disturbing or thought-provoking as many have described it. I guess I had trouble completely buying into the premise...

I've started reading Come Closer by Sara Gran. It's a story about a woman who is demonically possessed, told in her own perspective.

I just finished the second book of Richelle Mead's trilogy, Age of X and I feel completely lost. :weird: The first of the series, The Gameboard of the Gods was great. The SECOND one, The Immortal Crown, was incredible.

Finish it and come to find out that there isn't even a release date for the final book in the series yet. Now I can't even bring myself to start a new book. Maybe I'll reread another one of Richelle's books. She's my favorite author hands down :laughingsmiley:

I'm currently reading Hemingway's For Whom the Bell Tolls, given by my grandpa too. I should say that I kinda like the author's honest and unadorned writing so far :nerd:

Insurgent by Veronica Roth

I just finished reading Blood Infernal, the last book in the Order of the Sanguines trilogy by James Rollins and Rebecca Cantrell.

It's a vampire series, but it has a pretty significantly different take on lore and history than I've heard before. It's a really interesting take on a lot of different things, which I've come to expect from James Rollins. If you like adventure books, or vampire books, I'd definitely recommend this series.

Hmm, I may have to check this out, thank you.
If you are looking for another unique take on vampires, the Blue Bloods series by Melissa De La Cruz is the most unique I've ever known and very well done.

I'm apparently swapping between reading the Republic Commando books to the various encyclopedic type star wars books like the Essential Guide to the Force.

Yes, I am a major Star Wars geek.

I plan to reread the Sword of Truth and Emberverse novels at some point, tho.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm currently reading 'De Engelenmaker' by Stefan Brijs, which is a Dutch book which I need to read for school. It's about 400+ pages and more interesting than the books I've had to read for school so far. In English it's called 'The Angel Maker' (you can check it at goodreads). Up next I'm planning to reread the Harry Potter series, or reread the Ranger Apprentice series (by John Flanagan!) or start on the Discworld series :)

I'm reading Honor's Knight, the second book of the Paradox series by Rachel Bach!

If anyone is looking for a space/fantasy science fiction read then check this series out, it's honestly so much fun and it's written toward an older audience so there's none of that teen drama or what have you. I finished the first book within a day and a half!

I restarted my dark tower books a couple months ago, I'm on The Wastelands now. I only read when I'm at work, during my lunch break though (half an hour each day) so it takes a little longer. :) I want to have the rest read again by April for when the new DT book comes out. :D

I read this whole series and loved the tie-in's with characters from his other books. But I wasn't even aware of another book coming out until I read your post. Thanks!

This is a great thread. Does my heart good to know that there are people out there that still take the time to enjoy reading.

I read a lot of epic fantasy fiction, and science fiction, and usually am reading more than one thing at a time. I just finished the Alvin Maker series by Orson Scott Card. I'm currently reading the Witch World series by Andre Norton.