So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

At the beginning of May I picked up Chosen by Ted Dekker. It's from his Circle series. After having it for several weeks, a couple of days ago I dived into it and oh my goodness I cannot put it down. I can't believe I waited until now to start reading it. lol I guess I need more quiet time to read. I'm hoping to finish it by Thursday so I can get the next one.

Thank goodness for the ability to renew library books! :)

Been reading the Harry Potter series yet again for a ranking I plan to do on another site of every (significant) character.. up to book two, chapter four and I'm going through at a much quicker rate over the past 2 days than I have been. There are so many things in that series that you might never pick up until, like, the fifth time you read, especially when you're looking through it for a certain lens - I'm looking specifically at the characters, their relationships, and their development (especially some specific characters who I haven't paid enough attention to before - Harry, Ron, Neville, Draco, and some others) and so I'm noticing a ton of things I'd never have caught before because I just wasn't looking for them. Good times.

• 2 weeks later...

Just finished Sharp Objects by Gillian Flynn. It's really creepy good! I've had her book Girl Gone sitting on my shelf for well over a month now and this is the motivation I need to start it.

This is the last week of classes and Sharp Objects was the last book I had to have read. Finally I'll have about two weeks to read what I want to read for a change. lol

Which means finishing the Dan Brown (OMG finally!) and the new Mary Kay Andrews.

---

You have read 20 books toward your goal of 50 books.

20 of 50 (40%)

At your current pace, you're 7 books (15%) behind schedule.

I finished Life and Time by Asimov, as well as all the Spiderwick Chronicle books, Number the Stars, A Solitary Blue, The One and Only Ivan, and A Raisin in the Sun (listening to the original Broadway recording, not technically reading) since the last time I posted.

I'm currently in the middle of listening to Born to Run (it has a very rambly, repetitive style, which I think would irritate me a lot more if I were reading it, but it's not bad to listen to, especially in the car), and reading The Silmarillion (surprisingly not hating it, which is weird, because I'm not a fan of serious fantasy) and the poems of Sylvia Plath. (I checked out several audio books for my road trip, and 3 of them were poets reading in their own voices: Sylvia Plath, Robert Frost, and five American women: Gertrude Stein, H.D., Edna St. Vincent Millay, Louise Bogan, Muriel Rukeyser. So far I've tried to listen to Gertrude Stein, who sounded like a Peanuts adult "wonh-wowowonh-wonh-wonh"; Edna St. Vincent Millay, who sounded like she was telling ghost stories to a five-year-old; and Sylvia Plath, who sounded like... an upperclass Bostonian who spent too much time with the thesaurus -- which is what she was. Thankfully, the audio books came with little books containing the recited poems, so I'm reading first, and then will give them another listen, probably with book in hand. And not driving, because I kept laughing at the bad audio quality and affectations, and that's not safe.)

After this, I want to finish the Tillerman Cycle with Come a Stranger, The Runner, and Seventeen against the Dealer, and then I'll probably start on my Christmas presents: Divergent and its sequel, and the Matched trilogy. Followed by a Shakespeare comedy, the Tale of Genji, and another Newberry Medal winner. And the next Sammy Keyes book (Sammy Keyes and the Killer Cruise) as soon as my library gets it.

• 4 weeks later...

I currently reading Batman and Philosophy, which sounds strange I know, but is actually really interesting. I've always been a fan of Batman though, so maybe that's it.

It's a collaboration between a number of philosopher's theorizing on Batman's history, behaviours, relationships, etc. Each takes on a different chapter and topic, and it's really giving a new insight on the character.

I looked it up as a series though and there's a bunch of different books: '(something) and Philosophy' so I'm probably going on a search after I'm done this one to read some of the others. I can't remember all of them, but the one that sticks in my mind is The Daily Show and Philosophy. I also enjoy watching that show so I might try and find that one.

I've been reading the House of Night books. Total trash but they're a quick read and mildly amusing, I guess? There's 10 in total and I've gotten halfway through book 7 in about a week and a half so that's a thing. It's really just self-insertion Mary Sue nonsense. But unlike all of the other books on my reading list, there aren't any deep themes or meanings to the series so I don't have to think too hard about it when I'm reading. Maybe I'll read Aristotle next to balance it out.

The Ocean at the End of the Lane by Neil Gaiman. It's a short novel, and I've had it for months, but I've just not had the time and peace of mind to sit down and read it, I'm only a couple of chapters in. Anyway, it seems great. He's my favourite author; American Gods was the first book I read in a year when I started to get better, I borrowed it from the hospital library and it really made me feel alive. Neverwhere was incredible; I laughed and screamed and cried, and in rage threw the paperback at the wall a couple of times.

Also, textbooks :l

I finished Five American Women Poets. I could not get into Gertrude Stein; even listening to her, her poems just don't make sense. There were only excerpts of one (super-long) poem by H.D., and it was alright -- I probably would have appreciated it more if I knew more about Helen of Troy. I enjoyed Edna St. Vincent Millay; her Sonnet XI was exceptionally well done, with the rhymes so effortless I didn't notice a single one on the first read-through. I liked parts of Muriel Rukeyser's poems, though they could be a bit abstract at times. Still, she made me think, with lines like "The universe is made of stories, / not of atoms." Louise Brogan is amazing; her poems are like pictures, with a thousand words behind each image, a back-story planted in your mind, evoking the emotions she wants you to feel as effectively as if she were a master fiddler, and your heartstrings her violin. Here's the first sentence of "Cartography":

As you lay in sleep

I saw the chart

Of artery and vein

Running from your heart,

Plain as the strength

Marked upon the leaf

Along the length,

Mortal and brief,

Of your gaunt hand.

Anyone who's ever watched a loved one go through a long illness will see that familiar hand. Is it a lover? Mother? Father? Sister? Friend? Child? It's all of them -- and none of them. The carefully chosen images are so precise, and yet universal, so that your mind will personalize it, making the poem's story -- and its emotions -- yours.

I've listened to Sylvia Plath, Gertrude Stein, and H.D. Listening to the poet reciting the poems makes them easier to understand. I'm still reading The Silmarillion, and I've also started on the poems of Robert Frost (I didn't realize he was quite as modern as he was -- his poems really have such a timeless quality to them).

I've been rereading the Fablehaven series. I'm currently on book 3: Grip of the Shadow Plague. This is one of my favorite book series, and certainly one that helped me love fantasy as a kid.

I'm actually currently reading a book by my cousin! Self produced and whatnot. It's The Debate-Ability Test by Marie Mailloux. So far it's actually pretty good. The difference in personality of the six characters is portrayed pretty well. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, though. It's a competition between the six people. They all have distinctly different personalities, and have to live together for a month. I give it, so far, ~7/10.

• 1 month later...

Rereading the Harry Potter series. I've been seeing a lot of HP stuff lately that made me want to read them again. It's interesting, after the break of a few years, how perspectives change.

Before that, I finished Call of the Wild, which wasn't what I expected, but was great nonetheless.

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't been doing much reading lately, but my last novel was Villette by Charlotte Bronte. The book I just finished was a Bathroom Reader, haha :rolleyes_anim:

I just finished a Piers Anthony novel called Demons don't Dream. Very punny but I love it.

That's awesome! Piers Anthony was my first favorite author :) I started reading his Xanth novels in about grade 6 and I still own most of the collection of them, up till about 2009, I think.

I haven't been doing much reading lately, but my last novel was Villette by Charlotte Bronte. The book I just finished was a Bathroom Reader, haha :rolleyes_anim:

That's awesome! Piers Anthony was my first favorite author :) I started reading his Xanth novels in about grade 6 and I still own most of the collection of them, up till about 2009, I think.

Yeah I started him about that age =) I just like reading something that I know everything will work out in the end in. But Ive always read a lot. My new current reading was another of his called ogre ogre from the xanth series