So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

Finally finished A Storm of Swords!

In addition to starting A Feast for Crows, I've got myself a copy of Finding Darwin's God. It's nonfiction, talking about how God and evolution can coexist. I already believe that, but I'm very interested to read the book. Hopefully it will give me better arguments when trying to present my case to people who believe the two are mutually exclusive.

I finished Looking for Alaska by John Green not too long ago. It was a very interesting experience - I think I would have liked it better if I was ten years younger.

I'm currently reading Prozac Nation by Elizabeth Wurtzel. She's extremely self involved and over confident but I can't help but kinda like her which is irritating... Can't read too much at a time though cause it's mega depressing

I didn't realize that was a book! I watched the movie with Christina Ricci and found it interesting in an artsy/indie sort of way. Let me know how it goes!

The film is a lot, LOT better than the book so far, haha. Christina Ricci is fabulous in any film she's in, Prozac Nation was no different - I liked it muchly ^^ Can't say the same of the written version aha

• 2 weeks later...

I just finished re-reading the Book Thief for the 5th or 6th time? I lost count but it's a really good book and so far there's always a new minor detail I pick up on after each time I finished reading it. The Book Thief never seems to bore me and I tend to be very particular about what I read.

I just finished re-reading the Book Thief for the 5th or 6th time? I lost count but it's a really good book and so far there's always a new minor detail I pick up on after each time I finished reading it. The Book Thief never seems to bore me and I tend to be very particular about what I read.

I feel the same! I love coming back to an old favourite and realizing I forgot all the minor details. It feels like I'm getting another chance to be surprised all over again.

I feel like that with "To Kill a Mockingbird"; I get something new out of each reading. It's been a few years since my last reading, so I should probably read it again soon.

Let's see.... I finished reading Road Rash, The Dark is Rising sequence, and Allegiant, and I finished listening to Outliers: the story of success. Now I'm listening to The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Volume II: The Kingdom on the Waves, which is even better than Volume I, and reading Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry.

Just started reading The One last night. Jumped to the end to see if it ended like I thought and then went back. Looks like there are going to be some rather interesting developments.

I'll have to read that one at some point, too. I watched the movie with my mom, and we loved it. Lots of crying, though...

For me, the book that I've read countless times and never get bored of is Ella Enchanted. I don't know why I love it so much, but it's always my go-to book when I have nothing else to read.

The film is a lot, LOT better than the book so far, haha. Christina Ricci is fabulous in any film she's in, Prozac Nation was no different - I liked it muchly ^^ Can't say the same of the written version aha

I tried to like the book. I really did. But I think Wurtzel was in the wrong place in her life when she wrote it. Maybe if she wrote it now, in her 40's, rather than writing it in her 20's...

Don't get me wrong, I do like her. But I agree, she seemed awfully self-absorbed in the book. I thought a better book about a similar subject was Girl, Interrupted. I also liked Wasted.

I tend to read books about young women and mental illness.

I tried to like the book. I really did. But I think Wurtzel was in the wrong place in her life when she wrote it. Maybe if she wrote it now, in her 40's, rather than writing it in her 20's...

Don't get me wrong, I do like her. But I agree, she seemed awfully self-absorbed in the book. I thought a better book about a similar subject was Girl, Interrupted. I also liked Wasted.

Have you read The Bell Jar?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Have you read The Bell Jar?

I own a copy of it, but I haven't started it yet. My book collection easily staggers 300 or more and there are A LOT I haven't even started yet! :P But I need to, I truly do. Sylvia Plath is one of my favorite writers hands down. I own a gorgeous copy of Ariel that has been read and re-read about a thousand times.

I own a copy of it, but I haven't started it yet. My book collection easily staggers 300 or more and there are A LOT I haven't even started yet! :P But I need to, I truly do. Sylvia Plath is one of my favorite writers hands down. I own a gorgeous copy of Ariel that has been read and re-read about a thousand times.

You should put it on your reading list! It has a lot of the same themes as Girl, Interupted.

I'm the same! I own a lot of books and I've probably have only read 25 percent of them.

Yeah, I think that's probably true. I just finished it and wrote a small review for goodreads:

I both loved and hated this novel; finding Elizabeth Wutzel both incredibly self-indulgent and brutally honest, wise beyond her years and foolish as a child. Some of her insights are astonishingly moving and ring true, but it took me a long time to read because twenty metaphors for one moment of sadness can be incredibly taxing to sit through without wanting to throw the book across the room.

Overall I would say that I begrudgingly enjoyed reading this, but it probably could have been about half the size, and even though at points relatable, at times I found the author insufferable to the point where I wanted to quit it altogether.

I haven't read Girl, Interrupted yet, though that is on my list of things to read. There's a lot of speculation as to whether or not Susanna Kaysen actually had Borderline, and as it's something I suffer with myself I'd really like to investigate it. I don't read a lot of books about mental illness because I'm on the road to recovery now and it tends to drag me down a bit.

I'm really not sure what to read now... like you guys I have a lot of books that are sat on my bookshelf that I haven't begun yet! I'm thinking Senor Vivo and the Coca Lord by Louis de Bernieres, as I started that a little while ago but never got around to finishing it.

I just finished Roll of Thunder, Hear My Cry and M.C. Higgins, The Great. I must get to the library soon, because I only have nonfiction left to read. I suppose I could start Matched, but I'm kind of anti-dystopic YA lit for a while after my Allegiant experience. (I'm still in the middle of listening to The Astonishing Life of Octavian Nothing, Volume 2: The Kingdom Upon the Waves, which is nearly twice as long as the first -- 12 CDs, but I have to be careful not to run down my car battery because I don't want to stop listening. I'm so glad I didn't stop in the first one; the second is so much more engaging -- though even the second half of the first one made that slow beginning worth it.)

I finished reading The Prophet by Khali Gibran? I think that's how his name is spelled. My grandma found it in my garage and she was going to sell it at a yard sale once but a man told her that it was a good book and she should put it up. I'm glad she did because it was a bit of an interesting read. Also it has a weird powdery smell to it. The book used to belong to a woman name Mary jane who owned the house before. The book is only 96 pages but it was a different reading experience bad thing is that I have to hold it far away from my face. I'm not sure if it's how the old book is or since it's been sitting around and it might be all old books in particular. The book was published in 1923 so it's about 61 years old now and also it's in surprisingly good shape too. The tile on the spine is a little faded and the pages are somewhat yellow but it may have always been that way. I think i'm going to have to read it again because the way it's written is a bit overwhelming for me.

I finished Octavian Nothing. I really highly recommend the pair -- it's so thought-provoking and gives such an interesting perspective on history. Now I'm reading The Matchlock Gun and listening to Imagine: the Story of Creativity.

• 2 weeks later...

I just started reading "school for Good and Evil" I had my doubts but I really like it! I have "A Discovery of Witches" lined up along with "Swamplandia!" and I want to re-read "The Giver" and "Stardust" in the next week or so since they'e short :p

oh and I have to finish The Maze Runner series!

I also just finished "Shocking Life" Elsa Schiaparelli's autobiography, I skimmed through it for a school assignment but it wasn't bad so I decided to read the whole thing...it was interesting but she's really self-centered and I disliked how she kept switching from first to third person narrative

I finished The Matchlock Gun, Miss Hickory, and Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH. Miss Hickory got really macabre and freaky at the end for a children's story (though I found the whole thing vaguely disturbing -- I've never enjoyed stories about inanimate objects really being alive, perhaps because I saw the Child's Play movies so young). After the freaky moment, it goes on to have a happy ending, but... it was freaky.

Miss Hickory is a "living" doll made out of an apple twig with a beechnut glued on for a head. She eats and talks and sees. At the climax, the hungry squirrel who's run out of food gets mad at her and eats her head when she scolds him for not preparing for winter properly. And her head and body talk to each other as the squirrel eats her head. And then her headless body runs around.

I really enjoyed NIMH. I know my little brother really liked it as a kid, though I can't remember if it was the book(s) or movie. I've decided not to read the sequels, though, since Wikipedia spoiled too much of the story.

I have The Dark Frigate to read next, and I'm still working on the Imagination audiobook, which has given me a lot of food for thought.

I've read Staked, Revamped, Crossed, and Burned all by J. F. Lewis. They are the best vampire stories I've read outside of Anne Rice. I'm currently reading X-Men: Mutant Empire Sanctuary by Christopher Golden. It's the second book in a trilogy. I'm having a rough time finding the last book, Salvation.

Otherwise, my reading material is all over the map.

• 1 month later...

Has anyone ever read anything by Ray Bradbury? He's my absolute favourite author. I just read most of the stories in The October Country and now I'm trying to find a used book store where I can buy it.

I've read the first two (e-)books of the Divergent triology by Veronica Roth last month. I loved it. I'm gonna read the third book really soon!

Currently I'm reading the second (e-)book in the Immortals Series by Alyson Noël. I'd already read the first book in Dutch years ago. But now I wanna read them all, and in English. So far I like it, but it's not as awesome as Divergent though.

And I'm also reading a 'real book', or well, there's three parts of it and every saturday you get a part with the newspaper. My father has read the first two parts, and now I'm reading the first part. I decided to give him a headstart 'cause I read faster than him, haha. Tomorrow we'll get the last part of the story. It's about a murder/serial killer. The book is called 'Galgenveld', and is written by Isa Maron.