Funny clichés: What do you think of when you think of my country/state?

leverhelven

So, since there are people from all over the place here at TDNF, I always catch myself looking at their "Location" answers and picturing a cliché image of said area.

So I thought it'd be fun to create a topic so we could share what we think of when we think of other people's countries/states/areas! :P You just say where you're from and people tell you what their "cliché" idea of it is, and you do the same with whichever member's location catches your attention :)

Remember to keep it nice, no offensive stereotypes please :(

So since I'm the first poster, I can't analyse anyone yet, but I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. What do you guys think of when you think of it? :)

Oooooohhh RIO DE JANEIRO! I think immediately of the beautiful carnival dressing up and pretty people everywhere!

But I do know better, that it's not all perfect-ish. Someone in my class has studied for 5 months in Brazil, and she said that you really cannot listen to music on your iPod/iPhone in the train/bus because it will like, get stolen while you listen to it XD. Or walk home at night alone...

So different from the Netherlands. (oh, for the people that have visited or live in 'my' country, check out this blog, http://www.stuffdutchpeoplelike.comdo you recognize anything? haha, myself I find it really funny!)

So, since there are people from all over the place here at TDNF, I always catch myself looking at their "Location" answers and picturing a cliché image of said area.

So I thought it'd be fun to create a topic so we could share what we think of when we think of other people's countries/states/areas! :P You just say where you're from and people tell you what their "cliché" idea of it is, and you do the same with whichever member's location catches your attention :)

Remember to keep it nice, no offensive stereotypes please :(

So since I'm the first poster, I can't analyse anyone yet, but I'm from Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. What do you guys think of when you think of it? :)

When I think of Rio De Janeiro Brazil I think of the Rio Grande, and for some reason, because I think of South America, I think of Venezuela and the Miss Universe Pageant. Because when I was young, I danced competitively and did pageants, and Miss Venezuela won quite often. I danced up and down the east coast, from Canada to Florida, including Disney World, Atlantic City NJ, Wildwood NJ, Hershey PA, etc.

I am from Springfield Massachusetts. Remember, no offensive stereotypes, you cannot associate me with the cheaters who obtained the superbowl title because the Seahawks made a stupid move, that would be offensive. (Notice I didn't say they won. They didn't win, the Seahawks lost, therefore, by default, the Cheatriots obtained the title).

When I think of Brazil I immediately think of football! In my head it's always either Brazil or Germany that wins the world cup, though I know that's probably not actually accurate xD I was surprised that no-one else said football for Brazil, but then again "soccer" isn't much of a thing in the US, is it. Me being a Brit it's the biggest sport over here, though I've got no interest in it myself.

I wonder what people imagine when they think of the UK...lots of rain? ><

Toronto -- I've met enough Canadians (and seen enough Canadian TV) to know better, but I immediately think people will be ending their sentences with "eh", saying "Wicked!" a lot, and eating poutine. Oh, and of course wearing flannel and those lumberjack hats (or dressed as Mounties), eating flapjacks and Canadian bacon doused in maple syrup (if you want to go with the ridiculously bad, American stereotype of a Canadian).

More seriously and specifically, I think of a clean, artsy, friendly city. But cold. So very, very cold.

I'm in Atlanta, GA. Have at it! :P I didn't grow up here (I grew up in Virginia).

I'm in Atlanta, GA. Have at it! :P I didn't grow up here (I grew up in Virginia).

GEORGIAAAA!!! :D :D I immediately think of the reality Here Comes Honey Boo Boo! I know American people don't usually like Southern accents and mannerisms, but I LOVE IT!! I used to watch Honey Boo Boo (and also Toddlers and Tiaras, which was mostly in the South) so much that my English actually started to sound Southern! :)

The Netherlands make me think of the band Epica and After Forever ( <3 ), and also clogs, dams, and tulips :P And also that I learned to say "I love you" in dutch when I went to Epica's gig. Can't remember the spelling, but it's something like "Ik hou van jullie" right?

Oooooohhh RIO DE JANEIRO! I think immediately of the beautiful carnival dressing up and pretty people everywhere!

But I do know better, that it's not all perfect-ish. Someone in my class has studied for 5 months in Brazil, and she said that you really cannot listen to music on your iPod/iPhone in the train/bus because it will like, get stolen while you listen to it XD. Or walk home at night alone...

So different from the Netherlands. (oh, for the people that have visited or live in 'my' country, check out this blog, http://www.stuffdutchpeoplelike.comdo you recognize anything? haha, myself I find it really funny!)

I've been to the Netherlands so I always think of really amazing french fries (chips/frites?) whenever I think of the country. Fritessaus is my life, we don't get that here in America.

As for me, I'm from New Orleans and I can pretty much confirm that all of your stereotypes are true but I'd like to hear them anyway.

New Orleans!! A place that I would LOVE to go to. It's like number one on my list of places to travel in the near future! I think of American Horror Story!! lol I love that show... but I generally see it as a place rich in history with very cool graveyards. Also a lot of good food and jazz...and harry connick jr.

I live in New York :P

Ooh, New Orleans...that makes me think of beautiful buildings with lacy ironwork verandas, swamps full of trees covered in Spanish moss, fields full of chilis, and vampire stories!

GEORGIAAAA!!! :D :D I immediately think of the reality Here Comes Honey Boo Boo! I know American people don't usually like Southern accents and mannerisms, but I LOVE IT!! I used to watch Honey Boo Boo (and also Toddlers and Tiaras, which was mostly in the South) so much that my English actually started to sound Southern! :)

The Netherlands make me think of the band Epica and After Forever ( <3 ), and also clogs, dams, and tulips :P And also that I learned to say "I love you" in dutch when I went to Epica's gig. Can't remember the spelling, but it's something like "Ik hou van jullie" right?

Yess, that is it! :) Plural form! If you'd like to address someone specific you'd say: "Ik hou van jou"

The Netherlands really has some great metal bands! And DJ's, haha. Have you ever heard of Nemesea? Check out their song 'Say'. I think it's the best eveerrrrr. <3

---

I really don't know much about all the American states... haha. But one thing I think of is that everything is EXTRA LARGE, even if you order like regular D: haha.

Hi guys, I'm new here just because I saw this topic and decided I wanted to reply on this. I'm using TDN longer ;)

Brazil: I think also of carnival and beautiful ladies in beautiful dresses!

West Virginia: I think of sloping fields with lots of grass..

New Mexico: if I think of New Mexico I just see a desert.. Realized I do not know anything about New Mexico :( Same goes for Massachusetts and most states in the USA.. I've only been to Seattle and New York so i can agree with AllTimeMarr that I to think of everything being extra large :D

When I think of the UK I think of rain and Londen, namely the Londen Eye..

I like this topic :laughingsmiley:

When I think of NY, I think of BROADWAAAAAY! I've always ALWAYS wanted to go there for the musicals. :D Oh, and 30 Rock. And delicious hotdogs, for some reason.

I'm from the Philippines! :)

Philippines make me think of the Pope having just visited you guys, and that there was a Cardinal (the tile is probably wrong, but you get the idea) that was one of the religious men "running" for Pope at the time Francis was chosen, and that he was famous for being very charismatic! :)

I also think Filipinos and Brazilians are similar in that we're very present on the internet and other people usually dislike us on MMPRPGs such as LoL... :(

I really think it turns to "what do you think of, when someone mentions their country" rather than stereotypes and I find it nice :)

So, when I think about Brazil, it's samba, beaches and favelas. My stereotype about the Braziilans is that they are friendly, smiling, welcoming people. I read that it can be so on the outside but you don't make friends that easily there. Is this true, leverhelven?

I'm not familiar with the USA so much, so New Mexico - desert and cactuses. Atlanta - Olympics! West Virginia - well, the only thing that comes to mind is this tobacco type 'Virginia' :(

New Orleans - Mississippi, architecture, Mardi Gras, jazz! And blues.

New York - big city, skyscrapers. Broadway.

The Netherlands - Amsterdam, that I love, love, love! Rain. Flat country. Very very nice people. Windmills. Once big naval force. And unbelievable tulip prices for a brief moment in time. And carrots! I recently learned that carrots used to be in many colours but the Dutch selected the orange one (national colour, you know) and it became so widespread that hardly anyone knows about the white, yellow and purple carrots anymore :)

Canada - maple syrup :) I don't know any Canadians but I've always imagines them as cool smart people. Funny enough, that impression was given to me by some movies where Americans make fun of Canadians :)

UK - rain. I know, I know... :) Premiership - I'm a big Liverpool fan. 60's and 70's finest music. And people whose politeness is often so confusing, phrases that usually mean the opposite :)

There are tons of other things I can think of about most of those places but I'll stop now. I'm from Bulgaria and I don't really expect many people to even know where it is :) :)

Brazil: Rainforests. I was obsessed with all things rainforest in 3rd grade. Don't know why...

Netherlands: I think of bicycles and nothing else.

West Virginia: the song Country Roads by John Denver.

Canada: Really helpful people.

UK: Doctor Who and sometimes other shows. Depends on where exactly and what mood I'm in.

New York: The song NYC from Annie, and Broadway shows.

I'm from Portland, Oregon and we're awfully proud of our stereotypes, even though a lot of them are exaggerated. So I'm curious to hear what you guys think.

Canada - i think of degrassi. cause i love that show. I also think if stuff hits the fan in american thats exactly where im going. Cause yall seem neutral.

New York- I think hustle and bustle. I've seen enough of it to get the gist.

UK- i just think of awesome accents. I could listen to you guys all day long. I also think of a lot of cloudy weather.

philippines- i think of lots of hills. and pancit. and nurses. LOL always nurses.

New Mexico - i visit you often youre beautiful and I love your adobe style homes. Theyre perfect.

New Orleans- youre also familar to me. I think of rivers or swamps i guess? crawfish and STICKY weather. bleh...

Brazil - hmmm i dunno lol its the only one I cannot think of anything. Sorry D:

I have memories from two places listed so far...

New Mexico - Beyond Carlsbad, White Sands, the drive into Albuquerque (*gorgeous* at night), and Roswell, the thing that sticks out in my mind is the drive through the Sonoran Desert between Alamagordo and Artesia. Damn spiders you can see a mile away (no joke...dinner plate or larger) and Hope's 'No public restroom' sign.

Toronto (and most of Canada that was driven through) - 8 lane superhighway being condensed into one lane (August 2001)...no MW gusta. The fact that it was a Leafs game and the Pride festival blocked many roads in town (we drove past adult stores on almost every block) didn't help. After driving most of the night, though, finding poutine at a McDonald's made it all better :)

As for my area, it's kinda its own joke...Normal, Illinois. Sure, it's a college town (ISU), but there's not much going for it...it is equidistant from most other towns in Illinois, though (same distance between Peoria/Champaign-Urbana, Chicago/St. Louis, Springfield/Joliet).

I have to confess, I need the subtitles on that show (at least the few clips I've seen of it...). Atlanta has more people from outside the state than from Georgia, so I've not really heard the strong Southern accent much at all.

Atlanta, Georgia - Makes me think of The Walking Dead!

I've been an extra in several things, and everyone I know who's a fan of that show is like "Why haven't you done TWD yet?" But I don't want to wear the creepy contacts, and since everyone wants to be on the show, it's hard to get on -- and I've never actually seen it. Atlanta definitely has a pretty decent-sized film industry.

when i think of georgia, i think of tara and gone with the wind, what else. a book that i have not read in awhile.. hm, might consider it after i get through the percy jackson series.

I don't think there are many plantation houses left in Atlanta (if there ever were any to begin with), but there are a gazillion Civil War plaques all over the place. Like, driving down a street, keeping an eye on traffic, in the back of my mind I'll note several, and wonder who ever stops their car (illegally... there's little street parking) and goes and reads the things. I have read a few as a pedestrian, here and there, and sometimes it's something like "General X slept in a house that used to be here, three days before Battle Y." Other times, it's a description of a full-on battle.

Atlanta - Olympics!

If I were to describe Atlanta, I'd say it's a typical large city, with its troubled areas, little ethnic areas (with awesome restaurants and shops; it's one of the largest intake points for refugees, and a lot of them end up settling here), urban sprawl, awful public transit and transportation (Snowpocalypse from January 2014, anyone? and the longest commutes in the U.S.), but with an interesting mix of old and new. What makes it unique: Coca-Cola, the Olympics (it's cool to go to Centennial Olympic Park, or drive by the old torch -- you can't actually climb it anymore after it got damaged in a tornado), a puppet museum and theater, the rap scene (I know nothing about this, personally), the Peachtree Road Race (the largest annual 10k in the world, on the 4th of July), festivals, Martin Luther King's birthplace and tomb (and the King Center), the (Jimmy) Carter Center, the fact that it's the public health capital of the world (home to the CDC, and numerous nonprofits, such as CARE and ACS), Chik-Fil-A... and farmer's markets. Giant warehouse-esque "farmer's" markets that take advantage of their proximity to the world's busiest airport to offer cheap produce from around the world. You get spoiled, eating here. And I guess there are a lot of famous neighborhoods, such as Little Five Points, but every city has those.

Oh, and lots of green space and trees. It was a railroad city, and a lot of those tracks are obsolete -- and are in the process of being converted into multi-use paths to connect all aspects of the city. (Why they can't also do that with MARTA, the light rail system, here, I'll never know...)

Toronto -- I've met enough Canadians (and seen enough Canadian TV) to know better, but I immediately think people will be ending their sentences with "eh", saying "Wicked!" a lot, and eating poutine. Oh, and of course wearing flannel and those lumberjack hats (or dressed as Mounties), eating flapjacks and Canadian bacon doused in maple syrup (if you want to go with the ridiculously bad, American stereotype of a Canadian).

More seriously and specifically, I think of a clean, artsy, friendly city. But cold. So very, very cold.

Whenever I think of Georgia I think of peaches. Just like I associate Florida with oranges.

When I hear Canada I think of my favorite band.

When it comes to me I either associate states with food or music.

I live in New Hampshire. I live in a small town out in the woods. I was born in and lived in North Carolina, too. I can't stand North Carolina >.<

Rio: I think of beaches, beauties, Carnival... but also World Youth Day. I heard that they "cleaned up" the city by paying the homeless to "disappear" for a bit, basically relocating them without really helping them get back on their feet. (I've heard they did something similar in Atlanta, tearing down housing projects to build the Olympic village, forcing the people to relocate to another area...)

New Mexico: Los Alamos, deserts, mountains, Native Americans... I have a friend who moved to Albuquerque a few years ago, and she likes it there.

the Netherlands: I have so many different impressions of your country, and I don't quite know how to fit them all together in my head: windmills, bicycles, dikes, and tulips; Anne Frank and the Dutch resistance; legalized hard drugs (and I've heard various accounts of how prevalent drug use is, or how most people look upon it, ranging from "a large proportion in the cities use, but only very casually" to "most people don't do it and don't want to be around it, but still want it to be legal, and only a small proportion use"); friendly people who like to travel and know a lot about the world; modern, clean, environmentally friendly cities; Sinterklaas and wooden shoes; euthanasia...

Massachusetts: Boston. People in a hurry, impatient drivers, proud of their heritage (Mayflower or Irish)... Boston Marathon. Lot of local pride. Then I think of Cape Cod and the 1%, opulent homes, over-the-top lifestyle. And of course Boston Tea Party, Sons of Liberty... the Big Dig... Huge sports fans (part of the local pride, I guess). Good Will Hunting. Harvard, MIT...

West Virginia: The next state over from where I grew up, so I've been there a few times. I think of mountain people, independent, honest, hard-working... People who like a slower pace of life. Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains... Hiking. Whitewater Rafting (New River Gorge). But I know there are towns and cities there, too. Sick of people making fun of their state.