Customization-Why do you do it?

Naamah D.

Not sure if this belong in debate on customization, but here it goes. Why do you customize your pets?

Personally, I prefer not to customize my pets. I'd much rather be grooming and taking care of my pets rather than blow all of my NP on outfits and backgrounds. My pets come first, not some prissy little outfit.

Anyone else feel the same?

I customize my pets with things I won/bought with nc/bought for 1NP during my Packrat buying. Once in a while I'll buy something that I think would look great, but not always.

I'm the same way. I just bargain hunt wearables rather than spend all of my money on exspensive clothes for my pets.

I customize because it's really fun and it (in theory) gives my pet(s) an unique look that others with the same species/colour do not have. As Angelo already mentioned, it also helps portray a character or personality I may have in them - prissy outfit or not.

Just because people are actively into customizing their pet doesn't mean they don't take 'good care' of their pets, and I think it's offensive to insinuate that people who choose to customize don't take as good as care of their pet(s) and that they do not have their pet(s) as a top priority.

I forgot to mention why XD Even though I only really customize with free/nc/cheap stuff, I still do it to match how I want to portray them. Take Trecci, she's my battle pet but she also has a delicate, loving side to her.

2.png

It's all about displaying my pet's character, and going with a theme. Each of my Neopets is an individual, and I have that expressed in their customisations. (I stay on tight budgets, both NP and NC, but I still have a closet well over 600 items XD)

I customize because it's really fun and it (in theory) gives my pet(s) an unique look that others with the same species/colour do not have. As Angelo already mentioned, it also helps portray a character or personality I may have in them - prissy outfit or not.

Just because people are actively into customizing their pet doesn't mean they don't take 'good care' of their pets, and I think it's offensive to insinuate that people who choose to customize don't take as good as care of their pet(s) and that they do not have their pet(s) as a top priority.

That is a ridiculous assumption. Many people who customise also keep them happy and cared for, and mine are always fed and happy, they read books, have petpets, and some are even training (my Aisha especially). In fact - there should be more wearable armor for battle pets....*idea*

So there is no line between those who care for their pets and those who customise, because many people do both.

I used to only customize with the random wearables I'd collected through the years and then I won a $10 NC gift card.

I went a little crazy with my pets characters, because I've been trying to write a story about them for ages, so when I saw something that would fit the character I had in mind I'd snag it.

Now my lovelies are lovely and I don't know if I'll be adding anymore customization to them. I don't want them to be overshadowed by things.

I'm hurr-hurring, snorting & chuckling at the prissy outfit bit heheh

Because one random, bored day nine years ago, when bored on Neopets, I strayed to an avatar dress up site.

& over the years, that site has delighted, surprised & at one point, enchanted me with pixelated items & the options available in virtual dressing are dazzling. It just becomes another creative outlet for me.

Frankly besides the community here & a few friends here & there, customization is one of the rare things that's keeping me on Neopets. I mean sure, there're still lots of trophies & avatars & NP to be earned but I get tired of them after a while. I really admire those who are so motivated & dedicated to their goals. I suppose I'm not that driven anymore so yeah, turning my pets into hot messes gives me something to do lol

to each their own i guess, but i feel like without customisation, there would be no difference between your blue Acara and mine. When people say 'your pet is beautiful' it is only a compliment if ive customised that pet and given it a personality. otherwise, they're really complimenting the TNT artwork.

When I came back after my hiatus, I was anti customization. I guess I didn't like the change. But now, I'm addicted...I spend way too much money on NC. I jsut LOVE dressing up my draiks to match their personality.

Reminds me of my reaction when I first returned to Neo. My characters/Neopets were already anthro ..had their own look, and when I first saw the Customisation feature I was ":D We really get to do that now!? Make them look unique!?" I was totally excited, even though I had no NP or NC to cutomise my pets with...but that changed all in due time. I did somehow get free 150 NC, and got my first item.....that was an exciting day.

I was one of the users around from before customization and when I saw it, I was a bit... weirded out... at first. I'm like, these are pets, that's silly. Then I thought, well, a background would be nice. Then it just snowballed from there, with customization being one of my favorite things about the site.

There's just so many possibilities to it. Not just making your pet unique, but making it fit you. I love dressing my pets for the seasons/holidays. Or maybe something that fits my mood or the weather we're having. (I actually had one of my pets be a Notable Neopet with a customization I made to fit all of the thunderstorms we'd been having that week.) Or just making a nice customization surrounding that one item that's just absolutely gorgeous.

And it's not a trade off for me, like it's customizing my pets or taking care of them. My pets are never hungry, rarely sick (Healing Springs willing), never less than Delighted, they have toys. I spend NP on books and training for them. They're all completely spoiled, including a better closet than I have.

All of my pets are bare at the moment, although this is not by choice. Like dummydumpty mentioned already, it's hard for me to give my pets the personality I have in mind without NC. I wish they would come out with some np wearables that look nicer like the NC ones. Right now, I don't have the money to spend on neocash, at all. When I do though, I'm sure I will go crazy customizing my pets. It's one of my favorite things about the site, I'm just so broke (both on neopets and real life) that I can't afford what I have in mind. :P

Still, I would very much like to some day soon! :) Btw - I don't think Naamah meant her comment as harshly as it may have came across to others, but I can see why it would be seen as offensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I also was anti-customization at first when I came back, but have recently been enjoying it. I do agree with Lady L that we should have more battle-themed customization. I have my battle pet, my book pet, my gourmet. lol I would love to be able to have a battle "look" to my battle baby. More of a RWAR! feel :P

I do like what they have done, I agree more non-NC items should be cooler, and I hope they do a lot more with it.

I'm another that was around before customization and when it was introduced I couldn't get into it, still not really. Occasionally I'll give my pets an item or two that I've got for free. For example, I put the seasonal wings that was given out by the advent calendar a number of years ago on my draik over the Christmas season because it fit the time and actually looked good.

However, for the most part I don't customize my pets. For me, I don't have stories for my pets, or personalities, maybe if I did I'd dress them up to accentuate that. The pets I have and like are because of the details in their design and paint job and if I dressed them up I feel it really covers up a lot of what I initially like about the pet, such as my plushie Xweetok. I've spent a lot of time and np on getting them that way and I wouldn't be able to see her stitching or buttons or patches, etc., if she were wearing clothes and hats and shoes.

Plus, there's just something about putting clothes on pets that I find strange. Just like in real life, I don't understand owners that buy Halloween costumes for their cats and dogs or put sweaters and booties on their pets for decorative purposes. I can't bring myself to do that to real or virtual pets.

• 3 weeks later...

First and foremost I feel like I personally am locked in a "when in Rome" kinda thing. I don't /like/ customization per say (aside from trinkets and backgrounds so UC pets + background = golden) but I think I do it just because everyone else does. I don't pour nps into it (don't have any nps to start haha) but I like making dream customizations and planning that stuff out. Because my pets are my primary interest on Neopets they all have characters and such; customization can really help bring that out and help tell your pet's story. (if done right!) I try to draw the line with clothes on certain species though (pretty much only draiks look alright in certain clothes and "fortunately" for me a lot of my pets are draiks LOL) since clothes on some of them look seriously funky c.c;;;