Happy Elephante Day!

hrtbrk

Oh... my... at that outfit. It is... interesting for sure. I do think it's the mask that is quite so... odd!!

For the colour... it's way too pink for me but it also seems to be missing the seamlines that make the pets look like toys. There are the joints at arms and legs but that's it...

image.png.146fb1d375a5e7f124cab6493298f4bb.pngimage.png.b8b6a8c90e125b23ea1c758231e8dab8.pngimage.png.0db883a7a57a694c31e2db64cecc48cf.pngimage.png.788afd6e0ac29c84c91539e93bf91961.png

27 minutes ago, Angeló said:

They rejected my Elephante Day poem (which I think was really good) so I'm really bummed now ...

Keep it for next year and give it another shot!! I do that with rejected time dependent NT articles when I remember to write them. Which is rarely at the moment. 

Toy is super-cute! The joints look decently robust for a change, too.

That mask though... xDDD

On the other hand, definitely giving the artist credit for an African tribal outfit for what, in our world, is an African animal. Some of the tribal stuff they've done in the past hasn't fitted the species or its Neopian habitat at all, has it.

I'm sad on my Elephante's behalf that this is such an esoteric outfit, but the robe may come in useful.

*trots to DTI*

Ok, just chucked it on with her current set up, and it looks cute! :D

image.png.ba29e5856f81f9184b1006b02aa4b566.png

Though she is strongly reminding me of Miriam Margoyles now which doesn't please me as she's not the nicest of women. x'D

Of course someone had to go there:

No description available.

Personally, I'd think it was more racist by far to only use white European/American culture as inspiration as you'd then be guilty of white-washing the site surely!?

The Royal Elephantes are Indian .. I didn't see any Indians complaining about it .. I believe they gave the costume to an artist of African descent .. cuz it looks so good .. personally I wouldn't be offended if a Neopet got a Lebanese traditional outfit .. I'd love it actually .. just like the Lebanese foods they're trying to pass as "Altadorian" aka Greek (Lebanon and Greece share a lot of cultural aspects) 

This kind of stuff's always gonna push some people's cultural appropriation buttons, isn't it. In this case at least it's not making money off someone else's history as this isn't an NC thing. Plus there's the issue of how some people will accuse anything and everything of being racist, when it's not that at all.

2 hours ago, Angeló said:

The Royal Elephantes are Indian .. I didn't see any Indians complaining about it .. I believe they gave the costume to an artist of African descent .. cuz it looks so good .. personally I wouldn't be offended if a Neopet got a Lebanese traditional outfit .. I'd love it actually .. just like the Lebanese foods they're trying to pass as "Altadorian" aka Greek (Lebanon and Greece share a lot of cultural aspects) 

Another poster made exactly your point about the Royal Elephante actually:

image.png.7fada2e235e06b2faa36eae65438c094.png

2 hours ago, jellysundae said:

This kind of stuff's always gonna push some people's cultural appropriation buttons, isn't it. In this case at least it's not making money off someone else's history as this isn't an NC thing. Plus there's the issue of how some people will accuse anything and everything of being racist, when it's not that at all.

What I don't understand is why they would apparently prefer the site to be all Western based with no representation of other races and cultures. Representation is very different to appropriation and let's be honest, the same people would be screaming the house down about racism by exclusion if there was no representation. They can't win!

32 minutes ago, Secre said:

What I don't understand is why they would apparently prefer the site to be all Western based with no representation of other races and cultures.

It's probably the same kind of people as the ones saying they were boycotting Sainsburys because of that Christmas ad showing a black family and how that didn't represent them. -___- White fragility ftw? 😕  You're very right that representation isn't the same as appropriation, but too many people twist things to suit their own narrative and agenda, don't they; and some truly don't comprehend the distinction.

Oh another note, those royal girl outfits. :heart:

The Ruki is just SO BEAUTIFUL!

OFC I immediately want to cross-paint Berry for the dress. xD I rather like the colour clash, especially the forehead gem.

image.png.3cc0d23bc70d3746fac9f49086ed9b9b.png

I also love how she's still got her poncho on underneath. x'D It actually works pretty well, I think. :D

It's the internet, people are gonna get offended by everything. It's quite sad, really. There's more important things to worry about than whether a pet sim website is releasing culturally appropriated virtual clothes.

18 hours ago, jellysundae said:

It's probably the same kind of people as the ones saying they were boycotting Sainsburys because of that Christmas ad showing a black family and how that didn't represent them. -___- White fragility ftw? 😕  You're very right that representation isn't the same as appropriation, but too many people twist things to suit their own narrative and agenda, don't they; and some truly don't comprehend the distinction.

Oh another note, those royal girl outfits. :heart:

The Ruki is just SO BEAUTIFUL!

OFC I immediately want to cross-paint Berry for the dress. xD I rather like the colour clash, especially the forehead gem.

image.png.3cc0d23bc70d3746fac9f49086ed9b9b.png

I also love how she's still got her poncho on underneath. x'D It actually works pretty well, I think. :D

Oooh, that does look pretty! It's an expensive cross paint though!! She looks like a traditional mum waiting for the kids to get home from school!

I've got a spare Ruki that I'm considering paint options for - her twin is Woodland so I was thinking Halloween, Royal or Faerie. I could do all three I suppose - getting the Halloween avatar first and finish on Faerie with cross paint options:

image.png.0f724d319d53c56f7a2fa66fa97f0aeb.pngimage.png.64d685ff37f16c585b6e98d2a281b9b8.png

White fragility masked as being concerned for people of colour... stranger things have definitely happened!

18 hours ago, MysteryAF said:

It's the internet, people are gonna get offended by everything. It's quite sad, really. There's more important things to worry about than whether a pet sim website is releasing culturally appropriated virtual clothes.

I mean, if they were offensive then yes. But to complain about representation like it's a bad thing seems insane to me.

One thing that this past year has done, more than any other I think, is give a far clearer idea of the depth of racism and white privilege that exists in any "western" country. It's good that the awareness of it is out there now, and it's being more actively addressed, but the very depth of it is both mortifying and terrifying. :sad02: Social media reactions have also taught us that a horrifyingly large amount of people are just so ignorant, and shallow, and self-centred.

Wait, no, that's not fair. The problem there is it's the people who feel strongly enough about something who are the ones who will post in comment/reply sections online, isn't it. Like on Neopets' very own Board 7... facepalm.gif Bucket-loads of vitriol and butthurt, plenty of sweeping statements about how everyone hates [insert today's issue here], when in reality it's the vociferous minority making the massive fuss, also making mountains out of molehills a lot of the time. That is solely about Board 7, but the same behaviour does happen on a far wider scale out in the real world. That over-reacting's a lot of the problem in today's society, I think. Stuff snowballs on social media and swiftly gets blown out of all proportion, people enjoy the drama of it. unsure.gif

So now I'm feeling mildly bad about considering that Elephante crosspaint. -__- *mentally slaps self around a bit*

I'm actually struggling with finding the means to do it. T_T There isn't a Royal Girl Elephante Morphing Potion, ah, I need a paint brush, and I've just missed the hidden tower discount day xD Typical, right?? x'D

1 hour ago, Secre said:

I've got a spare Ruki that I'm considering paint options for - her twin is Woodland so I was thinking Halloween, Royal or Faerie. I could do all three I suppose

ALL THE OPTIONS! xD

Seeing the zoom of the Royal outfit shows it's even more gorgeous than I realised. The artist put some love into that! What really clinches it for me is the fabulous hair though!

We start off talking about Elephantes, then go on to cultural appropriation, then to Rukis. Forum sites are an intriguing outlet of conversation.

People like that are always going to exist in society, and there's nothing that can really be done about it. The best thing to be done is to shrug them off. If we don't feed them attention, then maybe they'll get bored.

20 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

One thing that this past year has done, more than any other I think, is give a far clearer idea of the depth of racism and white privilege that exists in any "western" country. It's good that the awareness of it is out there now, and it's being more actively addressed, but the very depth of it is both mortifying and terrifying. :sad02: Social media reactions have also taught us that a horrifyingly large amount of people are just so ignorant, and shallow, and self-centred.

Wait, no, that's not fair. The problem there is it's the people who feel strongly enough about something who are the ones who will post in comment/reply sections online, isn't it. Like on Neopets' very own Board 7... facepalm.gif Bucket-loads of vitriol and butthurt, plenty of sweeping statements about how everyone hates [insert today's issue here], when in reality it's the vociferous minority making the massive fuss, also making mountains out of molehills a lot of the time. That is solely about Board 7, but the same behaviour does happen on a far wider scale out in the real world. That over-reacting's a lot of the problem in today's society, I think. Stuff snowballs on social media and swiftly gets blown out of all proportion, people enjoy the drama of it. unsure.gif

So now I'm feeling mildly bad about considering that Elephante crosspaint. -__- *mentally slaps self around a bit*

I'm actually struggling with finding the means to do it. T_T There isn't a Royal Girl Elephante Morphing Potion, ah, I need a paint brush, and I've just missed the hidden tower discount day xD Typical, right?? x'D

ALL THE OPTIONS! xD

Seeing the zoom of the Royal outfit shows it's even more gorgeous than I realised. The artist put some love into that! What really clinches it for me is the fabulous hair though!

I wouldn't feel bad about the cross paint - it's a gorgeous outfit, which is a good thing! Well, it gives you until next month to decide at least!! You can often find them in the TP for 1.65 mil though which is actually cheaper than discount day! 

I actually quite like the Royal colour with the Halloween straps in fairness...

image.png.bf1b96c985f18c07f6fe76388e7fa9c0.png

It looks like the skin has been peeled away!

9 minutes ago, MysteryAF said:

We start off talking about Elephantes, then go on to cultural appropriation, then to Rukis. Forum sites are an intriguing outlet of conversation.

People like that are always going to exist in society, and there's nothing that can really be done about it. The best thing to be done is to shrug them off. If we don't feed them attention, then maybe they'll get bored.

In fairness, the Ruki conversation was down to an Indian member of the Facebook group directly referring to them in terms of how the outfits made her feel represented as a youngster, so the link was there!

2 hours ago, Secre said:

the Ruki conversation was down to an Indian member of the Facebook group directly referring to them in terms of how the outfits made her feel represented as a youngster

This makes me feel far more comfortable about the use of ethnic dress on Neopets actually! It comes at it from the opposite angle; makes it a fully inclusive thing, rather than just white artists using other cultures stuff willy-nilly.

On 1/22/2021 at 3:10 PM, jellysundae said:

This makes me feel far more comfortable about the use of ethnic dress on Neopets actually! It comes at it from the opposite angle; makes it a fully inclusive thing, rather than just white artists using other cultures stuff willy-nilly.

It's always tricky talking about cultural representation/appropriation when you are part of that culture, isn't it!? 

11 minutes ago, Secre said:

It's always tricky talking about cultural representation/appropriation when you are part of that culture, isn't it!? 

It's a flippin' minefield! You notice that England doesn't have a national costume? I wonder why! and when you ask Google about it it offers up a choice between dressing as Pearly Kings and Queens, Morris men, Beefeaters or a Chelsea pensioner! xD

image.png.cf385da82c8e6815eede795e5205f15d.png

• 1 month later...

Pink Elephantes on parade! :D The Toy Elephante is certainly shiny and plastic-looking, Toy, as a colour, kind of makes me sad, as it had so much potential, and due to the static poses it`s so limited what they can do with it...

The outfit is... kind of a lot, due to the different colours and patterns (I prefer more simple, clean looks, it`s just a personal taste) but I like that they make traditional and tribal outfits on Neopets, I support it. :D I think the outfit would work better if you broke it down into separate pieces, only using one piece at a time in a customization.