What is it like where you live?

Kute

@sunny098 No it sure isnt. Its more pay to play but more like pay or your character will forever suck.  It makes me sad, i do miss it a lot I had a bunch of good friends from that game. Good times ? Wow I never knew people were taught british english. I just thought learning english was learning english LOL. It never occurred to me. Well I guess thats the same with spanish. A lot of schools teach spain spanish because its proper (which i guess is the same as british english) but we use mexico spanish in california so its I guess overlooked.

It's the same for us. We learned some British English at school, but on tv and the radio we would hear a lot more American English. It was confusing sometimes but the teacher often told both words when there were differences. We were just supposed to speak British English. The same for French. We needed to know both kinds of French. The french that's spoken in the Walloon provinces and the French from France.

I was admin on an online mafia game and most of the guys on there were Norwegian, and they all "spoke" American English on the forums, and that's from the TV. Though 4 years of my influence taught them some good English words. ☺️  Some earthy Anglo-saxon let's say. ? it was a very 18+ forum. xD

5 minutes ago, jellysundae said:

I was admin on an online mafia game and most of the guys on there were Norwegian, and they all "spoke" American English on the forums, and that's from the TV. Though 4 years of my influence taught them some good English words. ☺️  Some earthy Anglo-saxon let's say. ? it was a very 18+ forum. xD

I know someone who was living in Iceland and was speaking with someone who had learned English from cartoons.  This person swore up and down that the plural of mouse was meeces. :D

Yea same ! Ive met a few people that learned english from cartoons ?. Oh dang  l didnt know there was two types of french either! How much do they vary? 

@Duma is what you're talking about basically the same as the differences between textbook/posh and regional English? Town, and country, almost, I suppose! with the difference in not just how people speak, but the actual words they used. Yeah, English taught at school compared to dialect. I'm just thinking of the county I grew up in . . .

Dorset is on the south coast of the UK, and there's still very much a north/south divide in England, part of it tongue in cheek now, maybe, but it still exists and the South is richer, posher and cleverer; while the north is poor, dirty and industrial, and full of idiots. Yeah totally tongue in cheek. : / Horrible stereotypes aside I wasn't really aware, growing up, that there were two sides to my home county. Everyone I spoke to sounded like me (posh, in other words) apart from my Grandad, he had a delightful burr to his accent. It wasn't until a long time later that I realised that how I spoke was what I'd now call generic Southern English, while my Grandad had a genuine Dorset accent, a country accent.

This clip highlights the difference! The fella hosting sounds like I did before moving to the wilds of Lincolnshire, my newsreader poshness had been tempered considerably from the majority of my life spent in this area. The recording sounds a lot like my Grandad, though his accent wasn't anywhere near so pronounced. But some of this sounds exactly like him . . . and I'm welling up a bit now. *blows nose* I miss my Grandad. :heart:

OH! And I realise that now I've given any actual solid contribution to this thread! :D

For anyone interested in hearing the broader UK accents, the uploads from this guy are fun.

On 5/29/2018 at 12:25 AM, jellysundae said:

@deboratibi told me about the strike, she was afraid it was going to get a lot worse before it got better, do you feel the same? Are strikes a regular thing in Brazil? Some European countries do seem to treat them as a national past time, or at least they've had a stereotype for that in the past. French air traffic controllers I believe! And a quick check on Google shows they're still living up to that stereotype . . .

That's a stereotype? I sometimes think most stereotypes about the French exist in Britain. (And only in Britain. ? )

22 hours ago, Duma said:

It's the same for us. We learned some British English at school, but on tv and the radio we would hear a lot more American English. It was confusing sometimes but the teacher often told both words when there were differences. We were just supposed to speak British English. The same for French. We needed to know both kinds of French. The french that's spoken in the Walloon provinces and the French from France.

I actually always watched nearly as many British films (Monty Python) and BBC shows (detective shows, mostly) growing up, as I did American series/films, so I think I got a fairly equal dose of both versions of English. It took me quite a while to figure out all the differences though (and I'm sure there are some words I still haven't realised are either spelled differently or pronounced differently), but I try to consistently use British English these days (my accent also tends to come out more British than American sounding).

I only ever learned one kind of French though (and have now forgotten most of it).

5 minutes ago, Nielo said:

That's a stereotype? I sometimes think most stereotypes about the French exist in Britain. (And only in Britain. ? )

I wouldn't be at all surprised, we have a long history of hating the French, after all. ?

1 hour ago, jellysundae said:

@Duma is what you're talking about basically the same as the differences between textbook/posh and regional English? Town, and country, almost, I suppose! with the difference in not just how people speak, but the actual words they used. Yeah, English taught at school compared to dialect. I'm just thinking of the county I grew up in . . .

Dorset is on the south coast of the UK, and there's still very much a north/south divide in England, part of it tongue in cheek now, maybe, but it still exists and the South is richer, posher and cleverer; while the north is poor, dirty and industrial, and full of idiots. Yeah totally tongue in cheek. : / Horrible stereotypes aside I wasn't really aware, growing up, that there were two sides to my home county. Everyone I spoke to sounded like me (posh, in other words) apart from my Grandad, he had a delightful burr to his accent. It wasn't until a long time later that I realised that how I spoke was what I'd now call generic Southern English, while my Grandad had a genuine Dorset accent, a country accent.

This clip highlights the difference! The fella hosting sounds like I did before moving to the wilds of Lincolnshire, my newsreader poshness had been tempered considerably from the majority of my life spent in this area. The recording sounds a lot like my Grandad, though his accent wasn't anywhere near so pronounced. But some of this sounds exactly like him . . . and I'm welling up a bit now. *blows nose* I miss my Grandad. :heart:

OH! And I realise that now I've given any actual solid contribution to this thread! :D

For anyone interested in hearing the broader UK accents, the uploads from this guy are fun.

This is lovely.  I do love hearing these accents. We've been watching this BBC PBS show called Poldark and everyone has such a wonderful accent Sometimes Its hard to understand. Has anyone seen this? Its such good. I notice there is a distinct difference between the upper and lower class when they speak in the show. The lower class seems mumbled a bit but i think I favor their talk over the upper class speak.  One of the guys always says 'Tisn't right, tisn't fit, tisn't fair, tisn't proper.' ?I love it! 

1 hour ago, Kute said:

I notice there is a distinct difference between the upper and lower class when they speak in the show.

I haven't seen Poldark, but that difference will be the difference between rich and educated and the poor with no education, I'm sure. Servants and workers will speak with the regional accent, whilst the wealthy land owners and their children will all talk posh. I don't know anything about Poldark, is it set in Cornwall? Pol is a Cornish prefix. *googles* Yep, it's Cornish, I wonder how well the actors managed with THAT accent. ? Cornwall is almost another country, it has its own language not just an impenetrable accent. xD

The important question here, is have you seen the BBC version of Pride and Prejudice?!

PwvzzH1.jpg

*sigh*

Yeah regional/informal language has more heart doesn't it? Maybe it's because the posh people in these period dramas are always SO rigidly buttoned up, both literally and figuratively, that the lower class seems so much more alive compared to them.

2 hours ago, phill said:

best version of pride and predjudice, hands down

Just no contest, is there.  I don't even wanna watch the movie version. NOPE :hmmph:

And it isn't JUST about Colin Firth, he's simply the very tasty cherry on top. There's so much great acting, Mrs. Bennet is absolutely priceless . . . ?

Also Mr. Collins . . . urgh! I think his picture should be used in a dictionary for the definition of the word obsequious, what a truly revolting specimen he is!

I can't help but feel that the whole cast must have had a lot of fun playing these characters.

@ a lot of people: It's not just a dialect for the 2 versions of French, it even has different roots. It's most obvious when counting. French French you would say quatre vingt dix (origin from the Romans) and then the Walloon region (and Switzerland) would use nonante (Celtic origin).

There are other words too that are different but I can't remember any at the moment. My English is more American sounding because I learned most of my English playing games and talking to people online, they came from all over the world but a big group lived in America and Canada.

9 hours ago, Duma said:

It's not just a dialect for the 2 versions of French, it even has different roots. It's most obvious when counting. French French you would say quatre vingt dix (origin from the Romans) and then the Walloon region (and Switzerland) would use nonante (Celtic origin).

That's interesting! Learning french at school the numbers always made me giggle; quatre-vingt-dix-neuf was my total fave because SO maybe numbers used to make a new one. :laugh: My 11 yr. old self got a lot of mileage out of that one, lol.

@Kute like @phill says it was a mini series. I have the box set, got it upon request for Christmas one year. :D I don't know how easy it would be for you to find to watch, I'm sure it's available out there online, but I'm thinking about your data here. I'd be really interested to know your opinion if you do get to watch it though, just because so many people like it more than any other version.

I'm a little late to the party, but I still want to contribute, lol.

@ladyblack Nice to see another fellow Brazilian here! :biggrin:

I'm originally from São Paulo as well, but I've lived in a city that's ~1.5 hours away since I was 3 years old. I kinda like it here, because it has a lot of the benefits of a big city, without being as crazy as SP, lol. What I don't like here is the weather... it's too hot and sunny.

@jellysundae The "latino" thing is kinda controversial here. As @ladyblack said, we don't refer to ourselves as such, and a lot of people are offended by it. I think there are several reasons for that, but one of them is that we are "culturally different from other South American countries". In my opinion that's a silly argument because all countries are culturally different from each other, there isn't a universal "latino culture". It seems that Spanish speaking countries in South America tend to be lumped together, and some Brazilians don't want Brazil to be lumped in with them. I suppose that wanting to be recognised for your own culture is fair, but it's not fair to reject the label merely over the assumption that we're different, while all the others are the same. As for race, I consider myself white here, but I refer to myself as White Latin American internationally.

The strike seems to be over, so that's a relief!

@Nielo I've never been to The Netherlands, but I lived in a city founded by Dutch immigrants here in Brazil for about 6 months :D So I learned a thing or two about Dutch culture, haha. I know a few children's songs like Het Regent and Toen Onze Mop Een Mopje Was, I got sweets from Zwarte Piet at school (not gonna lie, it was a bit weird lol), and I learned to eat Hagelslag (for those of you who aren't familiar, look it up. It'll change your life :laughingsmiley:).

Edit: I just remembered about this video!

@deboratibi Oh boy, I feel like I should apologise. XD We're trying to phase out 'Zwarte Piet' over here, but some people are desperately clinging to this tradition, because tradition. I can only imagine people who moved away from The Netherlands will be clinging to our traditions even tighter. But yeah, Hagelslag is one of our better export products, together with Stroopwafels. :D
(I had no idea Dutch immigrants had actually founded a city in Brazil though! I didn't think we'd survive in such a warm climate. Or maybe that's just me. ? )

• 1 month later...

Remember what both @phill and myself said about awkwardly converted windmills ?

Well the one in my town is up for sale - again - so you can find out for yourself now.  ?

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-for-sale/property-64040032.html

efpTcEy.jpg

Interestingly, it's also listed as being up for auction, at the same time...

seems a bit dodgy to me !

Mill for sale

Moneys Mill, Moneys Yard, Carre Street, Sleaford, Lincolnshire NG34 7TW

Guide Price* £120,000

• 4 weeks later...

I hope its okay to respond belatedly to this topic too ?

I am from the east coast us, specifically Baltimore, MD. I have lived here my entire life and for the most part I enjoy living here. The weather can be hit or miss here though. Baltimore is known for being very humid, and this summer has not let us down in that department, we've also had loads of rain lately which has been nice for cooling things down but its still pretty darn hot.

Baltimore is in a interesting place, its one of the few cities in the us that is independent from a county and has its own unique kind of atmosphere the way any kind of small city does I guess.

I like living in Maryland also because how close I am to D.C. and theres always something fun to do there too. I'm also very close to several beaches although I usually go to Delaware with my family in Rehoboth.

Some of my favorite places in Baltimore though is the BMA, The Walters Art Museum, and of course going to an O's game at Camden yards (don't mention anything right now about baseball right now though, we're on a losing streak lol).

As for food, ask any Marylander and they'll mention Crabs and Old Bay seasoning ( this is very important to us LOL), Otterbein cookies, Berger Cookies (yummy if you like chocolatey fudgey goodness), and Fishers popcorn.

It's never too late to satisfy our nosiness curiosity about everyone else. ? Is much of the east coast humid then?

I wasn't aware of Baltimore not being in a county, that's intriguing, how does that work then? Does that mean Baltimore has no sheriff's dept? I'll admit I struggle to get my head around there being a police force AND sheriffs in America and I don't really understand how that works, is it like police = town, while sheriff = country?

I want to try Old Bay, but I don't want to pay the price it's sold for over here. xD