Sorry, here comes the polititcs

firaplays

I can't do it anymore, I have to break my no politics rule for just a moment. Trump is president now, and I'm scared, appalled, and quite frankly on the verge of having a breakdown. Not that politics is the SOLE reason for that, but it's not helping. Like, at all. So I just wanted to get that all out here. I'm terrified and I don't know if everything is going to be ok.

It's fine if you don't agree with me or support Trump or whatever, but if we're going to get into a debate here, let's keep it civil, ok?

Yes, "civility" is a necessary component that is ALL TOO LACKING right now as far as politics goes. I think what everyone needs to do, take a break from the politics. Take a deep breath, and just sit in the quiet for a bit. There is just too much out there regarding politicians from BOTH sides that is more than likely simply not true. But people react and post things online, or on TV news with less fact-checking than they used to. I've seen it on both sides, and I too, am sick of it.

This will be the 6th President in my lifetime. One thing I've learned so far, is that things ebb and flow, like the ocean. Especially when in politics if one party goes farther to the left OR the right, then a swell is created that will eventually turn the tide and flow back to the other side. Besides, if he.. forgive the pun, bombs, he'll be a one-term president. If he REALLY messes up, *shrugs* who knows, maybe less than 4 years. Also, in a couple of years, there are many house and senate seats that will be in play. Whether you agree or disagree, I'd say if you want your voices heard, and this is what former President Obama said to the Republicans, 'If you want a say in laws, win an election', just before the 2010 election cycle I do believe. I had to paraphrase because I don't recall the exact wording after nearly 7 years.

Right now though, I think we have to hope he has some success at least. Why? Because if he can succeed with his economic strategy, supposedly there should be more jobs and such. I'd say, give him 6-12 months, see what he actually DOES and what ACTUALLY happens. The president is sworn to uphold the laws, he cannot write laws, nor is he supposed to pick and choose which laws to enforce. Who knows? If his ideas work, perhaps our national credit rating will go back up to the top quality. For those who may not recall, the nation credit rating was slashed down a level by Moody's, and some other global rating whatever during President Obama's first term. First time ever, to my knowledge.

Anyway, yeah, try not to freak out too badly. If it helps, Trump has been a Democrat much longer than a Republican. Not sure if his kids are still Dems or if they finally got to changing their party officially. (Which is why they couldn't vote for their dad in the primary.) Also, it sounds like his daughter Ivanka, is pushing for better maternity-leave, mental health-care etc. IF, as some speculate, she gets an office in the White House, she'll probably continue to push for such things. Which is indeed sorely needed. My point is, they're pretty much all Dems I think, just maybe not on their voter IDs (figuratively speaking).

Anyway, right now, I'm staying mostly off of social media, and trying to limit my News-watching. I've seen too much HATE and Demonizing each of other, long-time friends are even getting torn apart, it's all VERY sad. :( So, I'm trying to avoid it. If I DO happen to see something that gets my ire up, it's hard NOT to step in, especially if the post is just Bullplop hatred of someone toward whichever side they don't like. Frankly, thanks to instant media, I think it's probably the closest this nation has been to an all out national BATTLE since before the Civil War began. Tensions, and blind accusations just seem THAT bad to me.

Like or dislike what happened, we're ALL Americans and I firmly believe that we'll get through this in the end.

This will may/probably be my only post on this subject. I enjoy a good debate, but I get MORE than enough of that IRL, seeing as how my views differ from a number of my friends. lol I don't even know HOW that happened, except that I try hard to look beyond the differences, especially if I didn't KNOW they were of any political persuasion beforehand. Gotta try to find the good in people, you know? ;)

Well Firaplays, I know you're worried, I wish I knew what to say to help you stave off the anxiety and dread you feel. But hey, our nation has survived worse, right? We can get through this too. I try to remain optimistic. And finding little things to laugh about, that can help too, or at least it helps me. ;)

Take care. :)

let's keep it civil, ok?

This is something that nowadays is quite hard to do.

Both sides are ready to get into fights to defend their point of view, seen that happen in my college, not nice.

If I would compare my potilical view from my country to yours, I'd be consider a Republican, which is not bad, it has points of view I agree.

Am I happy with Trump's victory? Well, the US had terrible candidates, sorry to say that. 

This gif is just perfect for the political scenario of the US (sorry but I had to laugh)

tumblr_mrhe05mv321sen3rmo1_500.gif

Give him a chance and see what happens. Perhaps he could be great and "make America great again" or just fail, we don't know.

Feeding this feeling of sadness, anger, anxiety, etc won't help at all, just look around you and count how many people are angry because of his election (unless you're in a pro-Trump place so that might be harder). 

Some people are (literally) like walking bombs, just need one small word to explode and go nuts on friends and family.

What I see the most is people hoping for Trump to fail and that's just plain stupid. Hoping for him to fail is just like hoping for an airplane pilot to fail too.

Try to stay off from social media until things settle down and avoid videos, pictures and etc about politics.

Also, always go for the truth, don't believe at first on what you see/hear/read (I know you do that, just to reinforce it). Information can be manipulated and used to damage or help someone (mostly used to damage other people tho).

There are some pro and anti-trump people out there who are just crazy so just be careful, please, we don't want more people to get hurt.

We are here for you, remember that !

firaplays, I totally get where you're coming from. I'm in Australia and this trump business is all over our news at the moment, and it's super depressing. Anyone who denies climate change is a problem for the world in my opinion.

This morning though, I was watching a clip of trump on the news, and I had this flashback to when we had tony abbott as prime minister (he was/is a total buffoon). Abbott was ousted and I honestly think something similar has to happen with trump. It's pretty clear that there are numerous problems with trump. There wouldn't be riots about him if he were properly supported. But I agree with Aqua, things do have an ebb and flow, he won't be in power forever, and take heart in the fact that you are not alone in how you feel :)

Hello, I have moved this topic over to Debate Chat, but that doesn't mean we can fling insults at each other. Politics is not a subject we like to touch on much, but as long as it's a healthy and respectful discussion, this topic will remain open :) Thanks!

Yeah, I was wondering if that was the right place for this or not. Thanks for moving the thread.

And thanks to everyone who's been positive. I'm trying to keep an open mind, and I definitely don't WANT Trump to fail. I just worry about what he might do, either by accident or on purpose.

This is something that nowadays is quite hard to do.

Both sides are ready to get into fights to defend their point of view, seen that happen in my college, not nice.

If I would compare my potilical view from my country to yours, I'd be consider a Republican, which is not bad, it has points of view I agree.

Am I happy with Trump's victory? Well, the US had terrible candidates, sorry to say that. 

This gif is just perfect for the political scenario of the US (sorry but I had to laugh)

tumblr_mrhe05mv321sen3rmo1_500.gif

Give him a chance and see what happens. Perhaps he could be great and "make America great again" or just fail, we don't know.

Feeding this feeling of sadness, anger, anxiety, etc won't help at all, just look around you and count how many people are angry because of his election (unless you're in a pro-Trump place so that might be harder). 

Some people are (literally) like walking bombs, just need one small word to explode and go nuts on friends and family.

What I see the most is people hoping for Trump to fail and that's just plain stupid. Hoping for him to fail is just like hoping for an airplane pilot to fail too.

Try to stay off from social media until things settle down and avoid videos, pictures and etc about politics.

Also, always go for the truth, don't believe at first on what you see/hear/read (I know you do that, just to reinforce it). Information can be manipulated and used to damage or help someone (mostly used to damage other people tho).

There are some pro and anti-trump people out there who are just crazy so just be careful, please, we don't want more people to get hurt.

We are here for you, remember that !

LOL Vilela, that is the PERFECT animated gif to sum up the election choices! LOL

firaplays, I know how you feel bc honestly, things have NOT been going well here in TX. The day after the Election, kids at my school were chanting "Build the Wall!" and "Lock her up!" in our hallways- which for me and some of my friends -it was very upsetting. Our school Administration told us over our morning announcements to keep it "civil" in our school (which is actually called Harmony) but...you know some ppl aren't going to listen.

The problem I have is that ppl are acting like now it is ok for them to be racist and say whatever pops into their heads and it hasn't been ok to hear these ppl say things that they were just keeping to themselves before. My mom & sisters have been practicing self defense moves in case someone tries to pull off their scarves, do you know how disturbing it is to watch my 27 year old sister coach my 54 year old mother how to protect herself from possible attacks?! 

But I have to have faith and keep believing that everything, even this, will be good for me even though I really hate it. I can't see the whole picture, I watch my sister fume almost every day (she is a Political Science PhD candidate at UH) over the cabinet selections and she calls her senators almost daily to "push back" against taking healthcare or Medicare away or if a Presidential candidate for an Office doesn't seem qualified (which has been a lot of calling on her part). So I hope when I do become able to vote, there will be better choices than what was available in 2016.

We just have to make sure that we care about our family, friends, neighborhoods, and communities enough to make sure all of our rights aren't stripped away and that we are all treated with dignity and justice. The minute we let someone take anyone's right to believe or live the way that makes them happy (without harming someone else) then we should prepare that our rights can be taken too. We need to be united, and I know that it is hard for my sisters and mom, bc my mom's family all voted for the new guy and it felt like a slap in their faces bc it was as if they didn't care that he wants to register us or deport lots of our friends. But we still have to try to be united, even if it's hard right now to feel that I will ever understand how my mom's family were ok with how mean and disgusting this guy was, that they could choose him over us, it will always hurt but I have to keep busy just making sure that we all stay okay.

OMG! Now I KNOW that the new President hates me and anyone like me! So many families torn apart overnight! They sold everything they had, went through numerous vetting stages to obtain their visas legally and have nothing left in their home countries and then they try to enter in LA, Houston, JFK in NY, or Denver and they are being forced back onto planes to be sent back! No words left for my fear and anger!  :sad02:  :sad01_anim: Mind you a mosque was burned to the ground in Victoria, TX https://www. victoriaadvocate.com/.../breaking-fire-consumes-victoria-islamic-center/

GOD BLESS JUSTIN TRUDEAU!  :rock: Maybe I will be heading for THAT border!

Aussies for Trump?! No Australia! Do NOT join the US King of Fools in bigotry & stupidity! Save yourselves from the disgrace and downfall that we are being forced to endure! XK

Edited by midnight_spell360

midnight I'm so sorry those things have been happening at your school : ( Everything is so scary now. Thankfully, people are trying to get the immigration bans overturned, so maybe the courts can actually be some sort of balance to Trump. No one would blame you for heading for Canada, though XD 

Heading for Canada is one thing, trying to get back is another. And every thing he does or wants to do just gets me so worried. Jeff Sessions as attorney general after he was deemed to racist to be a federal judge. Mike Pence as VP who supported gay conversion therapy. The elimination of the ACA which insures millions of Americans and saved my aunt's life. A border wall which will probably be ineffective and cost billions of dollars. A ban on an entire faith of people entering the country. The fact that he still refuses to release his tax returns. How he brought literal nazis and klan members out of the woodwork in support of him. There just so much.

And people say give him a chance but a chance to do what? Because I don't want to give him the chance to do pretty much a single thing that he campaigned on. There's a reason why it only took him 8 days to get majority disapproval when every president since Reagan at LEAST 500. 

Sorry.

@midnight_spell360, stay strong with your families please. May you all be safe. :'(

I don't live in the US, but I'm reading more upsetting news. Some okay news also, but the looming worry is there.

The world is watching. I hope the world is not only watching, though - I hope if anything really bad happens, the world will stand to protect the innocents of US.

Please enjoy the mutterings from an old fart (me...I'm almost 50) :glasses02: :

I vote in every single election, local and major, ever since I turned 18 years of age. I do NOT have a political bone in my body, and quite frankly, too dumb to even understand politics :arrowhead:

I live in a very small mountain town, with the population of approx 12,000 people. Cowboy and Indian Country. From talking with friends and family, I believe that everyone in small town America is just sick and tired of politicians and their B.S. that goes with it. This is why Trump won.

I do not know what else to say about this. I know people are upset, and people are happy. It saddens me...all the hate and arguing. Ugh :worried:

Thank you for listening.

I didn't really want to comment on this thread because I'm so angry I thought I would just completely lose and and lash out but, I want to say to Midnight, I feel your pain. My family is a literal melting pot. My mother is a born-again Christian who was raised Catholic and married a Jew (my grandfather was in Auschwitz and lost his entire family). My Aunt on my fathers side is a green card holder. My Aunt on my mother's side is married to a Muslim man from Lebanon and his son, my cousin, is supposed to be getting married in Lebanon to a woman who lives in Lebanon later this year. I fear for all of them, every day. 

This person and his administration didn't even manage to go a week before he had

1) his staff just blatantly lie to the public

2) his people now calling those lies "alternative facts"

3) supported the Dakota Pipeline...because it's "good policy" not because he's invested in it

4) put a gag order on EPA and other agencies

4) the ban. the ban. the ban.

I don't know what to say about this. I know a lot of people are now regretting their choice (there's a twitter account devoted to retweeting peoples posted regrets) but how did they not see this coming? If someone came up to you and said "as soon as I get a weapon in my hand, I'm going to hurt you" and you went ahead and gave them a weapon, you can hardly be surprised when they hurt you. When someone shows you who they are, believe them. 

I marched in DC and I will continue to take whatever actions I can to stand up for myself, my family, my friends and even for those who, were the situation reversed, would not stand up for me. 

I love all you in the TDN community regardless of your political leanings. Sorry for the rant.

firaplays - I agree and he has shown recently that his extreme views are not just talk. Something that people voted for him say is they like that he speaks his mind. That's not a good reason to vote for someone. So what if someone speaks their mind when what they are saying is unfair. All these offensive things that were sad and people just say it is blown out of proportion, or he is all talk and as said, we are seeing that isn't true and even if it was, talk can hurt as well. It can rile people up and cause people who already have bad ways of thinking to believe it's okay for them to do bad things and treat certain people badly, to say the least. midnight_spell360 - I know I said on Neopets, but again I'm so sorry to know you are going through this. It makes me so upset the level of ignorance and bigotry that has spread. Most people in the world really are good and just living their lives. No one group is more likely to be violent and the people who are and say it's for a cause are turning those beliefs around, so to speak, and using them to justify their own hateful views. Then people who don't think rationally say everyone who looks like that, or with that belief, is bad, which is of course ridiculous, but again, they are ignorant, bigoted, or both.

A couple of things that give me solace. One, eventually he will be gone, hopefully sooner than later and in the meantime we may get other politicians in office that have more fair ways of thinking and will be in keeping with the checks and balances. 2, everytime there is injustice, or a person of authority attempts to abuse their power, people speak up. They protest, sue, whatever it takes for the situation to be changed or stopped. That is already being shown as well.

I read something upsetting, but ultimately uplifting. In my town a Muslim man was beat up in front of a mosque. He was helped and the man who did the attack was caught. A day later people of the town got together and held a rally to show support for the Muslim community.

I also saw after the Mosque was burned down in Texas, people came together and Jewish people opened their temple to the Muslims.

Though there are many issues still, the fact that so many people are showing support gives me hope.

No matter what happens, or how things may seem, there is always hope. Things can and will get better.