Neopets Anti-filter Project (need innocent filtered words)

eightbitdimwit

I'm sorry but "Advertisement"? That is just too far. It doesn't even have the word "semen" in it, only one E, and is scrambled!

Basically TNT doesn't want us to speak at all on the 'Boards. So why do they exist?

I'm sorry but "Advertisement"? That is just too far. It doesn't even have the word "semen" in it, only one E, and is scrambled!

Basically TNT doesn't want us to speak at all on the 'Boards. So why do they exist?

It does have "semen" in it: advertisement. It's not pronounced that way, but it's spelled that way. And there are 3 'e's in advertisement.

• 3 months later...

I was just going to recommend something like this but thought I'd better search first. I hope this project is still ongoing? Most of the ones that have driven me nuts (accumulate, grape, kill, and analysis) are on the list already, but I just had to battle with this sentence:

"As of right now, I should be able to check into Neo**** at least once per day for the rest of April" (for ALP).

I still can't figure out what it was that triggered the filter; I already explodes most of my other sentences into Tarzan-esque speak before I edited that one. Can anyone figure out the trigger?

My friend sent me a doozy of a NM (forgot he was on Neo instead of a forum) that got him warned (but not silenced) ~30s after he sent it:

What!?! My best Irish friend has no recommendation on Flogging Molly albums? icon_tongue.gif Right now, Google Play has 5 of their albums on sale for only $2.99 each, so I thinking about buying 2 or 3 of them. I checked Amazon dot com's reviews and "Swagger" had the best reviews, so I snagged that one this morning. I listened to it driving to/from work. I can imagine they'd be fantastic to listen to in an Irish pub while drinking Guinness. I'm thinking about getting either Drunken Lullabies and/or Whiskey for Breakfast. These two also got good reviews...

I'm not sure if it was the name of the albums, being in an Irish pub, or drinking Guinness (or a combination of 2 or all 3). I replied to that NM before he got the silence. My reply mentioned "Irish pub" (which for me is a cultural outlet -- I'm an Irish dancer -- and I probably did make a cultural reference) but not drinking (I did not receive a warning). Oh! I just realized it could have been his reference to Amazon, too. I bet "dot com" is a trigger.

I was just going to recommend something like this but thought I'd better search first. I hope this project is still ongoing? Most of the ones that have driven me nuts (accumulate, grape, kill, and analysis) are on the list already, but I just had to battle with this sentence:

"As of right now, I should be able to check into Neo**** at least once per day for the rest of April" (for ALP).

I still can't figure out what it was that triggered the filter; I already explodes most of my other sentences into Tarzan-esque speak before I edited that one. Can anyone figure out the trigger?

My friend sent me a doozy of a NM (forgot he was on Neo instead of a forum) that got him warned (but not silenced) ~30s after he sent it:

I'm not sure if it was the name of the albums, being in an Irish pub, or drinking Guinness (or a combination of 2 or all 3). I replied to that NM before he got the silence. My reply mentioned "Irish pub" (which for me is a cultural outlet -- I'm an Irish dancer -- and I probably did make a cultural reference) but not drinking (I did not receive a warning). Oh! I just realized it could have been his reference to Amazon, too. I bet "dot com" is a trigger.

Also Google could have been it. Any offsite mentions are warning worthy, so having two, plus drinking definitely did.

As for that other sentence, I have no idea. o_O Sometimes it just goes wonky.

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...
I've seen "makeup" to be blocked because apparantley makeup is associated with flirting and sex. *rolls eyes*

Oh wow! Really?? I can't believe that's true, and yet, I do. *shakes head in amusement*

I make a mental note not to use the words 'but' and 'as' because I've been stopped a million times and I keep forgetting why lol.

Also, this tumblr post has a mini-list of some blocked words: http://jesscookie.tumblr.com/post/48667905596/the-best-of-banned-words-on-neopets-com

How can people even find/ask for things on the Quest boards?? What if I wanted a "grape" peophin lolly or a "grape" snow puff ?? And by the way, "idiot" is also not allowed. I think one of these days, we'll have to write in a mixture of languages to avoid the block....

...Does any body need a "neige" puff "de uvas"? ...

Or did they block other languages too?

I ran into that problem the other day... I was trying to post with an item name and it was blocked. I don't remember the item any more. (Edit: The item was Studded Leader Cuirass. Silly "ass"...)

Today I had a problem sending a Neomail only to find out the offending phrase was "do it." I changed it to "submit it" (a NT article) and the mail went through fine.

Edited by Lamppost

• 2 months later...

Just found out that skillet is banned. I was trying to send a recipe to one of my neofriends and took me forever to figure out that was it.

i think because it has "kill" in it. i know someone was complaining that she couldn't say "amusement" because of the same reason as "basement." also, i was writing a neomail to my friend whose name was Gayle and i couldn't type her name because it starts with "gay."

There is one mod bait that I know... it's the word party.

Okay, I'll ask the question. Why the word party? I'm not seeing what's offensive about it.

• 1 month later...

Here's a new one! I just had a post blocked on my guild board. The offending phrase was "or y." I was trying to say "x or y", where I was using x and y as placeholding variables (instead of saying names). I'm guessing it's because it's similar to "orgy," but that seems like a stretch.

Okay, I'll ask the question. Why the word party? I'm not seeing what's offensive about it.

This might be because parties are associated with drinking alcohol. When I was in college, we weren't allowed to host parties in our dorm rooms. They were "social gatherings."

• 2 months later...

"A strong electric current fills the room, crackling with powerful energy. When everything has settled, you see that there is something quite different about piscesmonkey. It looks like their attack has gone up by 10! Wow!
-----------------
hmm.

first time teh coincidence daily made any stat other than Int go up more than 3"

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just spent a long while eventually finding this page in my search for the problem...

and it ended up being neopets use of the word CRACKling which caused the filter to balk

I was comparing the soreness of a sting to the feeling after a tetANUS shot. I actually spotted it right away because analyze/analysis/etc. always trip me up.

There's an item on my wishlist petpage that I can no longer include the picture of because the (Neopets-generated) URL includes "kik," which is blocked.

• 1 month later...

I am just trying to create a petpage with a wishlist from jn on it, and this thing won't let me.

Lace Tweed Xweetok Hat- okay, tweed on its own is totally innocuous but I can sort of get it.

But then the filter starts telling me I can't because of items that have "bad words" not even in their names, but the filenames of their images! How was I to know the Purple Edible Socks had "grape" in their filename? And the filename of the Piece of Wool DOESN'T EVEN MAKE SENSE: https://images.neopets.com/items/med_booby_2.gif. Honestly, it's not even a certain kind of bird or something understandable like that, it's Piece of Wool, why would they even do that?

So yes, if you want to talk about your new tweed suit, you can't.

Canal is another word that gets blocked because of the fragment "anal". Analysis and the whole bunch of related words as well.

The phrase "Let it snow" gets blocked in spite of being the name of an avatar, presumably because of the fragment "t(space)it", which it probably reads as an attempt to avoid the filter on "tit". Unless they fixed that one recently.

The "blocked because it contains a bad word" problem is pretty well-known as the "Scunthorpe problem", by the way. Not common to see as bad a case of it as on Neopets these days, though. It's not that hard to code exceptions into a filter for at the least the most common false positives. (Y'know. Like really frequently-used English words and actual names of actual Neopets' items, locations and avatars)

(Not so much the filter but the word games... can anyone make sense of the fact that "wine" is not in the dictionary of most if any of the word games, presumably because it is alcoholic, yet ale, gin and rum are accepted in most (and if I remember correctly, beer and mead each in at least one, though not a 100% sure on those two)?

• 3 weeks later...

I tried to send a long nm last night only to be frustrated by the filter.. I left it there overnight and then looked at it with fresh eyes today and, of course.... sand snowballs... no balls allowed! lol Geesh... It seems like it should be allowed if it's an item name!!! :/

I've not tried this one on neopets because I don't want to get into trouble but I remember being on another forum once and telling someone I would look something up for them while we were both online and I would just be a few secs.

Yeah.

I really should have seen that one coming.

Hmm. Now there's a thought. Can you write the word 'coming' over on the neoboards?

I've had "grape" blocked as well, even though it was in context of an ACTUAL Neopets Item, updating my wishlist. I THINK "Peanut" was blocked for me before, While talking about the item, "Bag of Peanuts". Also the word "hit", both of those happened to me some years ago, not sure if they're still blocked or what. This is a neat idea. I am tired of getting innocent words blocked and spending, in SOME cases, up to an hour trying to figure out what, and how to reword things.