The Official Stock Market Board

Finn the Human

I can't believe I found the answer I was going to ask on the last page of this thread. Thanks Sinri.

I have a pretty high amount of stock because my sell point is normally 100. So I have a quantity of 1,274,000 stocks. (beating out mraedis =P) I was thinking of selling all the positive ones and just collecting the interest on them instead and was wondering was it worth it. But after seeing your math I think I'll keep my np in stocks.

TPEG is at 61!

I'm just going to sell rather than wait, wahhh.

Back down to 58. Curses!

Well, maybe it'll skyrocket soon, and I'll be glad I missed out on selling it. -cough-

What do you guys think of UNIB? It was 200 recently (although not for long) and is now at one of the lowest points I've seen it at (and according to the http://www.neodaq.com/charts/graph.php?ticker=UNIB graph). I only started trading recently, mind (this month :P).

EDIT: Obviously not for long-term trading strategies since it could crash at any point, just for a bit of fun and profit. Long-term, I figured my best bet would be to buy at 15-20 and wait for however long it takes to get several hundred % +.

Edited by fairy_smile

fairy_smile, I made that mistake with POWR -- it was at a record low, so I bought 1k. And then I bought another k. And it never rose. And I rode it all the way down. And years later, it's still not risen. Had I caught it on one of the earlier times when it had come down and then rebounded, I'd have been fine. But it's risky. I had the NP to spare and nothing I was burning to spend them on, but I haven't been willing to risk that kind of loss again. Consider it a gamble -- like spinning the Wheel of Extravagance or betting on Food Club without calculating arbitrage. To give you an idea of how much it can burn, here's my bottom line:

Totals: 683,500 16,648,500 12,714,500 -23.63%

And here's how much those POWR losses contribute to that overall loss:

52,000 7,117,000 312,000 -95.62%

Note that I bought 52 times as I rode it down. Also note that my portfolio would be +3M instead of -4M were it not for POWR.

I'm a little embarrassed to share that, but if it can spare someone else the loss, it's worth the embarrassment. If you're going to gamble on the market like this, have some rules to minimize your losses:

1) Only use money you don't mind losing*

2) Have a bottom sellpoint so if you caught it on a plummet, you can minimize your loss (*so the amount you're willing to lose should be the amount you spend minus this sellpoint, plus a buffer depending on how often you check on stocks).

3) Have a top sellpoint (to cash in while you can, so you don't go past the next crest and lose all your winnings) -- this can be either a flat NP value, or you can have a rule (e.g., I sometimes use a rule that once it loses 10% from its peak, I sell all I have left, so that I catch it near the peak -- sometimes it jumps back up beyond that peak, so I lose out on additional profit, but that's rarer than if I had a 5% rule. Of course, by not having a 5% rule, I sell at a slightly lower price when there are no extra peaks -- but since stocks do fluctuate, I found 5% to not be very good at capturing the "true" peak. You could probably pick a better % sell rule based on Neodaq data; mine was empirically derived.)

Noooo, missed EEEEE and TPEG. Haven't been checking the stock market as often as I'd like to lately. TNPT is also at 58 right now. Hopefully it will hit 60 soon! My port is looking good though :)

Totals: 86,000 1,290,000 1,761,000 +36.51%

KBAT has also jumped right up- it's up 13 points, sitting at 53 right now. -crosses fingers-

I've created new sellpoints for myself, choosing a point that each stock has reached ~3 times in the past 11 years (or since it came down from being a high-flying stock -- KSON, UNIB, and VPTS are current high flyers, and thus have no data -- and since I have none of those, I don't need a sellpoint for them). Since it took a bit of time, I figured I'd share in case anyone else is interested in maximizing stock market gains. You'll end up with a lot more NP in the stock market, but you'll sell for much greater profit (and do better than you would have in the bank, based on my calculations on the last page):

AAVL 80, ACFI 65, BB 75, BOTT 70, BUZZ 67,

CHIA 64, CHPS 62, COFL 70, CYBU 80, DROO 64,

EEEEE 75, FAER 62, FISH 100, HELT 75, HUW 84,

KAUF 74, KBAT 70, KSON X, LDSC 74, LUPE 67,

MPC 80, MYNC 120, NAKR 75, NATN 87, PDSS 76,

PEOP 75, POWR 77, SHRX 78, SKBD 240, SKEI 69,

SMUG 78, SSS 120, STFP 90, SWNC 72, TAG 79,

TNAH 80, TNPT 72, TPEG 77, TPP 79, TSRC 80,

UNIB X, VPTS X, YIPP 100

Note the lowest sellpoint is 62, so you only need to consult the chart if a particular stock gets above 60, and so it shouldn't take that much extra work vs. auto-selling at 60.

If I had a way to predict which stock would become the next "high-flyer," I'd obviously just buy a ton of that, but alas, I don't.

TNPT was at 60 for a split 30 mins yesterday. I sold off all 8k of my shares! :D Still holding out on KBAT, I have 8k of those as well. :)

Summary : You had 309766 NP. After 8 successful transactions, you have 877746.

Wow, am I ever glad I didn't sell last night when it was at 60- Just sold at 71. :)

Yay, KBAT is past my new sellpoint of 70! Now do I sell it all? Or save some since it's rising? I can probably check it every half hour for the next few hours (if I remember to). I think I'll sell 1/4 for now and see what it does; I have 23k shares.

Summary : You had 61596 NP. After 5 successful transactions, you have 416576.

Sold 4k of COFL at 60. Only 1k left.

Edit: Then sold 2k KAUF at 45.

10k shares sold for 614000 NP today. Sellpoint today: 61.4

COFL just hit 60! I think I'm going to hold onto my 7k shares for a little while and see what it does... :D