The ALP

Matt

Thanks <3

I took a look and applied for "Werelupe" & "Whee!" & "Mootix". Hopefully this will go down well :) I've never done something like this before so I'm excited but nervous :P I love avatars!

I had a great experience participating in the pet chains. It's very well organized so you have nothing to be nervous about! Just stay excited about getting new avatars :)

The ALP is run almost entirely by people who are part of other staff departments, or used to be even if they aren't any more (I, for example, was a mod for long time before I decided I needed the time for other things and became just ALP instead of both). This is partially because of trust, as existing staff have all ready proved themselves trustworthy and we feel safe handing over ALP items to them to lend, and partially because it saves us a lot of trouble finding someone to lend when they volunteer, and we know they'll conduct lends with the professionalism our members have come to expect.

We don't generally open ALP staff apps (I'm not even sure we have a form for them), so if you want to be a part of TDN and eventually perhaps help with lends, I would pick another, larger department (Content, News, and BP are currently looking for people) that you're interested in and apply for that. If we need more help down the road, you'd be able to volunteer then. I will note, however, that you should be quite sure you want to be part of another department and not just the ALP- we expect a lot of dedication and work in all of our departments.

The ALP is run almost entirely by people who are part of other staff departments, or used to be even if they aren't any more (I, for example, was a mod for long time before I decided I needed the time for other things and became just ALP instead of both). This is partially because of trust, as existing staff have all ready proved themselves trustworthy and we feel safe handing over ALP items to them to lend, and partially because it saves us a lot of trouble finding someone to lend when they volunteer, and we know they'll conduct lends with the professionalism our members have come to expect.

We don't generally open ALP staff apps (I'm not even sure we have a form for them), so if you want to be a part of TDN and eventually perhaps help with lends, I would pick another, larger department (Content, News, and BP are currently looking for people) that you're interested in and apply for that. If we need more help down the road, you'd be able to volunteer then. I will note, however, that you should be quite sure you want to be part of another department and not just the ALP- we expect a lot of dedication and work in all of our departments.

I just wanted to input that the Customization department is also an option.

@Suus: Congrats on your first pet lending chain.

I love this program!!! I have already used it, TWICE, and nothing has gone wrong and got the avatars for FREE! Don't waste your money on buying the expensive items just for an avatar. I HIGHLY recommend this! :thumbsup:

I want to ask how the triple avatar pet chain is doing? I didn't recieved the date that I will get it. Did the chain get cancelled?

Hey, how do you get that percentage of avatars thingy into your signature?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

You can get Avatar Counters via the NeoAvatars department of TDN :) You need to be a registered user, though, but after that it'll be pretty simple to grab the code off, since NeoAvatars will do all the counting for you!

I am sure this has been posted before, but I am lazy and don't want to hunt for it, how would one go about letting the program use their pets/items for lending?

I believe we currently have all the pets we need for chains. Having doubles or triples of chains can get confusing, and many of our chains are set up so that each pet can usually get at least 2 avatars, and sometimes more (via a species, colour, certain petpet, etc).

At the current time, we're also set for all the items we lend (items up to and including Meowclops), and have multiple lenders for each item. The only three items we need are the big 3 (BGC, MSPP and a Super Attack Pea), which we're currently saving for through our donation shop.

If you would like to lend and help others get avatars, there are always people seeking and lending on the boards. Most people are looking for the big 3, but there are often people looking for the less expensive items as well.

Thanks for your interest though! Feel free to keep an eye on the ALP homepage for news and if we're looking for lenders :D

• 2 weeks later...

Just want to ask, does the ALP team want to lend zapped Meowy ?

I already have this avatar, but since not everybody has full collat to lend the item, did you guys try to zap a petpet into a meowclops and lend out? :)

No, we don't really need additional Meowclops lenders because there aren't that many requests anyway, and it's just going to be another pet chain for Anime to coordinate and we have enough already ;) Lending the Meowclops as an item is just a lot easier and less prone to mishaps.

Just want to ask, does the ALP team want to lend zapped Meowy ?

I already have this avatar, but since not everybody has full collat to lend the item, did you guys try to zap a petpet into a meowclops and lend out? :)

Zapping a meowclops also isn't easy, so we can't simply decide to do that. We have more than enough pet chains running already, so any new petpet chain would ideally be tacked onto an existing pet chain. Lending out a pet just for a petpet avatar is more trouble on our end than it'd be worth. That would mean us zapping the petpet in the hopes of a Meowy. Getting that specific zap isn't realistic, unfortunately :( As Rune Valentine pointed out, our current system seems to be working well for us.

• 4 weeks later...

So, basically, you need to have at least 100 posts in order to be lent an item? Or was it 500? I really want some new avatars.

http://alp.thedailyneopets.com/?page=rules_item

You may want to reread this.

You can get reduced collat if you have over 100 posts, but you can be lent while not being a member of the forums at all.

• 2 weeks later...

This isn't exactly ALP-related...

But what if TDN, in addition to lending avatars for reduced collateral, sold nerkmids to people who need the avatar for reduced prices? Only one nerkmid per person (might be hard to keep track of), really just so that people could get the avatar. Of course, there's not really a good way to prove that's why they did it, either.

I tend to get a nerkmid per day from the Battledome, and would be willing to donate some to TDN so that

A. its users could get the nerkmid avatar for cheap prices

B. whatever price it DOES get for it goes to BGC fund.

In theory, this would be a nice idea and a helpful service to offer our members. However, there are quite a few problems I can see arising from doing this.

1. We'll get people begging for cheap items/items for free. Many people would use this service responsibly, but with this kind of setup, you know there would be people saying "Well, if you're selling it for 50k, why can't you sell it to me for 40k? It's not that much less" or trying to get free items. Surprisingly, there are a large number of people who think the ALP is simply a gifting service. I can't imagine what kind of people would emerge for this kind of deal.

2. I really, REALLY prefer keeping ALP transactions to sand only. Technically, the ALP account is a side account, though it functions in the same way as a guild donation account which TNT does allow. Because so many people contribute to it and we're saving for such a large goal, I want to keep the transactions as transparent and upfront as possible. When you see sand for thousands of neopoints in a shop, as well as our description clearly stating it's a donation shop, we're clearly within the rules. However, once we start selling a bunch of different items, or selling a bunch of different items in trades or auctions, it gets a little more fuzzy and, as the account is technically a side account, I'd prefer not to risk any transaction being misconstrued as against the rules. This is why we've always kept the shop strictly sand-only Don't get me wrong, we love that people want to help by donating items, but it would really be easier, as well as better for the account, if you would sell the items yourself and just donate the neopoints by buying sand.

3. It's very generous that people would donate nerks, but I can see the demand FAR outweighing supply. We already see this with normal ALP items. Since becoming a fansite, we average about 5 new item requests a day. Sometimes we get fewer, some days many, many more. However, we average about 1 donation every 2 weeks to the shop. As is common with most avatar-related business, the demand outstrips supply by a large margin.

If people wanted to do this individually with their own restrictions and requirements via a petpage, or even in a thread here on TDN, that would be fine and greatly appreciated, but as far as something like this being run by the ALP, it's not something we'd be interested in pursuing right now, due to the aforementioned reasons.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi!

I have already borrowed some items from de ALP, such as FQD, Icy Snowflake and codestones. The problem is, I only have 1.6kk collat for the rest that I need (Meowclops, ZDAP and Chokato).

Does the fact of me returning the items as soon as I got the avatar and with pure collat count towards anything?

I don't have much time to play during the week, only about an hour a day, so my rate in winning NP is really really slow, that way I won't be able to have the 3kk collat for chokato until next year or so lol

Will I be able to be lent them, even with few posts and reduced collat?

thanks so much!

Hi!

I have already borrowed some items from de ALP, such as FQD, Icy Snowflake and codestones. The problem is, I only have 1.6kk collat for the rest that I need (Meowclops, ZDAP and Chokato).

Does the fact of me returning the items as soon as I got the avatar and with pure collat count towards anything?

I don't have much time to play during the week, only about an hour a day, so my rate in winning NP is really really slow, that way I won't be able to have the 3kk collat for chokato until next year or so lol

Will I be able to be lent them, even with few posts and reduced collat?

thanks so much!

It may vary from lender to lender, but I pretty much stick to what we have as rules. You get reduced collateral via your post count on the forums. It's nothing against you, personally - I'm sure you're lovely! But the fact of the matter is, these are really expensive items that we're going to need a guarantee that you're not going to run off with it, or at the very least, have a sufficient amount to replace these items. Your post count (and post quality!) will generally help us determine who the people we're lending to are. Some people on the NeoBoards will lend for free, but as this is a service that benefits a lot of people, we really want to keep it safe and secure for the people who still wish to borrow the items.

It may vary from lender to lender, but I pretty much stick to what we have as rules. You get reduced collateral via your post count on the forums. It's nothing against you, personally - I'm sure you're lovely! But the fact of the matter is, these are really expensive items that we're going to need a guarantee that you're not going to run off with it, or at the very least, have a sufficient amount to replace these items. Your post count (and post quality!) will generally help us determine who the people we're lending to are. Some people on the NeoBoards will lend for free, but as this is a service that benefits a lot of people, we really want to keep it safe and secure for the people who still wish to borrow the items.

I see n_n

Thank you!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (hrtbrk) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

At the current time, we're also set for all the items we lend (items up to and including Meowclops), and have multiple lenders for each item. The only three items we need are the big 3 (BGC, MSPP and a Super Attack Pea), which we're currently saving for through our donation shop.

Wow this is really cool! Where do I find this donation shop so that I can be a part of this? :-)

I'm part of a chain for this month and I currently have the pet and I'm supposed to be sending it to another user, but it won't let me start the transfer because it says they have too many pets (their lookup says they have 4 pets). I sent a message back to the person in charge of the chain but haven't got a reply from them.

Anime should be online sometime in the next couple hours. She'll sort it out and give you further instructions :)