Is this cheating?

charelan

OK, so I just read the post about Teamviewer (didn't know this was a thing), and it got me thinking... So, we've established that it is cheating to let someone remotely access your account.. But is it cheating to have someone else play a game for you? For instance... if I am terrible at Mynci Volleyball and ask my very nice co-worker to play it for me during Daily Dare? I guess I should have been asking these questions months ago... but it never occcurred to me that that could be against any rules. 

Hmm! That's a really good question! I suppose it is...it doesn't seem at all the same as someone else logging into your account, does it, but really it IS the same, isn't it.

Unfortunately I still think that constitutes as cheating. You are still benefiting from sharing your account (in this case, so they can get you a good score). I don't think they really want people playing on other people's accounts. Neopets is very touchy on stuff like that.

boy am I TERRIBLE at most games... I'll never see another gold trophy lol

^ THIS!

I totally share your pain with regard to this, big time! I only have one gold trophy, and that's just the Pyramid bonus one. :*

Neopian Times, Issue 641, Editorial, 18t day of Eating Y16, 5th question, sums it up:

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&week=641

"*clears throat* Hi, TNT. Can you explain the difference between a person using a guide and a person cheating on Neopets? I was told that using a guide is cheating. Could you please clear this up for me? Please remove my username. Thank you. ~username removed
Think of a guide (and its writer) like a coach. Coaches teach you how to be a better player by sharing knowledge and skills they've learned from experience, and these things they teach fall within the rules and guidelines of the game. Coaches don't play for you or tell someone else to do so, nor do they show you how to trick referees or make it look as if you scored when you really didn't, because all of that would be cheating. A coach teaches you with the purpose of increasing your skill so you can become a better player. Guide writers are doing the same thing! (They are very nice and awesome people, by the way.) A "guide" that doesn't want to increase your skill, but instead wants to show you ways to fake those achievements or have someone or something else do it for you, isn't really a guide at all. It's a cheat."

OK, so I just read the post about Teamviewer (didn't know this was a thing), and it got me thinking... So, we've established that it is cheating to let someone remotely access your account.. But is it cheating to have someone else play a game for you? For instance... if I am terrible at Mynci Volleyball and ask my very nice co-worker to play it for me during Daily Dare? I guess I should have been asking these questions months ago... but it never occcurred to me that that could be against any rules. 

Unfortunately it is.  It is not YOU playing the game, therefore it is not YOU earning the points, the NPs, the trophy, the avatar, the prizes for DD or whatever else it is that you are trying to earn by having someone else play the game for you.  Yes, you are not having someone else access your account or giving them information such as your PW, but you are not playing the game for yourself.  If this other person is so good at the game, they need to be playing it on their own account, not yours.  You have to earn your own achievements otherwise it is considered cheating.  Sorry, there are no easy ways around the rules.  Hard work, practice, and patience.

Like everyone said, it is considered cheating. It's not like you can let someone else play for you in a volleyball match either can you, and then you taking the gold trophy home instead of that person that actually played? Even if you were an identical twin, it would be considered cheating if you let your twin play for you. It's the same online. Your lookup is considered your home, with your trophy cabinet.

Most of the games is all about practice though. Keep playing them, read as much guides as you can (everyone will have a different approach or just a different hint/trick) and keep practicing. Eventually you'll get the hang out of them and earn your well deserved price. Also, keep playing them throughout the year, so you can get that DD or GMC score/trophy when those events are happening.

Whenever I know they are around the corner, I start playing/practicing for the games that I find hard and/or are usually at those events.

I'm sure you can do it that way too!

I feel SO BAD about not thinking about this before... Someone gets frustrated watching you suck at a game then says ' hey let me try'... slippery slope!!!  But I will take all of your advice and keep playing those games that frustrate me the most. I'm still glad I asked. Embarrassed but glad.

So... to clear the air - after all this, by rights I should only have a silver Daily Dare trophy (still better than the participant ones from years past!)  I really doubt there's any way to 'downgrade', but at least it will remind me. I swear the other trophies are mine (although the Smug Bug Spite was truly just a lucky twitch of my mouse clicking finger), and I'm gunning hard for gold in the AC!

I feel SO BAD about not thinking about this before... Someone gets frustrated watching you suck at a game then says ' hey let me try'... slippery slope!!!  But I will take all of your advice and keep playing those games that frustrate me the most. I'm still glad I asked. Embarrassed but glad.

So... to clear the air - after all this, by rights I should only have a silver Daily Dare trophy (still better than the participant ones from years past!)  I really doubt there's any way to 'downgrade', but at least it will remind me. I swear the other trophies are mine (although the Smug Bug Spite was truly just a lucky twitch of my mouse clicking finger), and I'm gunning hard for gold in the AC!

The next time they get frustrated watching you play and say, "let me try" tell them, "open up an account and you can try ALL the games you want!!"  Also, you need to remember, TNT/JS looks for exactly what you are describing. I will just use word pyramids for example because jellysudae brought it up.  Say you constantly get like 1500 at word pyramids.  Then all of a sudden you submit a score of 20,000 and get a gold trophy but had no scores in between.  That is going to alert them and your score is going to be reviewed.  However, if you got 1500 then 4000 then 6000 then 10,000 and so on because you have been practicing, you will not raise any red flags.  There have been a few games that would frustrate me to the point of tears at times.  I would vow to conquer them.  Sometimes I wouldn't send scores until I had a decent one because I wanted a decent amount of NPs, but each day you could certainly see the upward trend.  You WILL get another gold trophy, trust me, it will happen.  Play your games during the first few days of the month when the scores are lower.  Play games like dice of destiny, solitaire, word pyramid, pyramids, and cheat (the game- LOL).  Also, Neoquest 2 and cellblock are games that you can get gold trophies in but they take some time.  IDK if you fought punchbag bob, but that gives you a gold trophy too.  Be patient and persistent and it will happen.  You don't need a look up full of gold trophies however.  Silver and bronze are nice too.  And when you get them, you can always upgrade at a later time.  Trophies aren't easy to get, so getting bronze or silver is very respectable.  Good luck.