Broke My Foot

Shane for Wax

I cannot believe this. I've always been afraid of snapping my toes, of breaking them. And I did today. I snapped two of them, broke them clean. I was bleeding everywhere, and there's still a little blood coming out. I went to the ER, got pain meds and anesthesia and they stitched up my toes (which was REALLY hard because of where the break was). I now have to find a orthopedist to do a follow up. But since we just got here it's going to be a little hard. I have to see my PCM (primary care manager) first to get the referral. 

I will probably have to have stitches for a month or longer based on my slow healing (projected time was 10-12 days but I know my body). But what's worse is now I'm reduced to needing my mum or dad to help me go to the bathroom since I can't stand on my own to begin with but now it's worse with my foot broken. :(

And I feel awful this happened because I got blood everywhere and mum almost got a ticket trying to get back home. On the positive end, both the physician's assistant and the guys who came in the ambulance said I did the right first aid even though I was freaking out over what happened (I noticed blood on the floor and immediately looked for a source. I found it from my foot by virtue of the fact I had a bunch of blood on my palm). I had washed off the site to prevent infection then I had dressed it with a clean washcloth since i'm out of 4x4 gauze. I also used a sock for a tourniquet to try to stopper the blood flowing out.

Ugh I really hope it heals quickly. I'm already tired of having to keep my foot propped up. It's hard to be on the computer when I have to be sitting leaned up against the headboard and some pillows.

(mods please let me know if the description is too gory for the forums)

oh no!!! that's terrible :(
I once truly sprained my ankle and wasn't allowed to leave the house for two weeks, or do sport for two more weeks after that, so I understand a little about how horrid it is (i've not broken anything so far).
Don't feel too bad about the blood etc., it washes out! Well done for the first aid! It's good you kept calm.

I hope it heals quickly, and isn't too painful! (also sorry about the bathroom stuff!)

Thanks. It helps being a forensics tech with a side of anthropology when it comes to staying calm (mostly. I kinda freaked out on the phone to my mum. I didn't find it to be severe enough to call 911 but we did eventually because we didn't know how to get to the hospital or how to get me out of the house and into the car since dad can't carry me and I can't walk). And yeah, the blood comes up but it took a lot to clean it up. Luckily my parents cleaned up rather quickly after it happened so it didn't get to set and stain. I just feel bad blood had to be cleaned up at all. :(

It's not the first time I've broken something, last time it was my femur. But I didn't break my femur like I did my foot. lol 

Wow. I'm really sorry that happened to you. But it's great that you managed to do the first aid! It's pretty amazing how a part of us tries to remain rational no matter how much we're freaking out (well, I don't know if that goes for everyone, but I've had that experience). My brother hurt his foot really bad one time (I won't get into detail, it's quite graphic) and he was completely calm, almost too calm, but I was freaking out. I thought I was gonna lose it but then I somehow took care of it and later we found out that if I hadn't he could've lost his toes. First aid really makes all the difference.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you heal as quickly as possible!  :)

Man that really stinks! The only bone I've ever broken is my arm. Toes must be rough. Ouch! It makes me cringe just thinking about it. Get well soon!

Thanks all!

Mhm working towards my forensic anthropology credentials but it's been on hold because of multiple medical problems.

And I ended up losing my footing when trying to get back into my motorized scooter since I can't really walk. I can stand in place for very short periods of time like to take my pants/underwear on and off. I'm not entirely sure how it ended up that my toes curled up enough to get broken, though. Just like I'm not 100% on how I managed to get a spiral fracture of my femur. Everyone has their own little opinions on what happened even though I was alone during both breakages. I suppose at the end of the day it doesn't entirely matter. It's not a crime so it doesn't need a full explanation. I just have to try not to let it happen again. Last time they thought I had a vitamin d deficiency or that i had lowered bone mass/osteoporosis. But I was tested and both tests came back normal. I'm sure if we did it again it would be the same story. I'm used to weird medical stuff happening. After nearly 70 surgeries you just kinda get used to things not being normal. 

Oh man! So sorry this happened! Well done on the first aid stuff, things would have been worse if you'd not done that. Can you not feel pain then? I'd be scared to move if that was me D:

oh my goodness, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. I hope you heal soon. So from what I understand you didnt even realize it was broken??? Funny how our bodies all react differently. Do you have loss of feeling in that foot? Or maybe just a high tolerance for pain..?My uncle doesnt have feeling in his legs and he always ends up with the worst bruises, or burns or scratches and doesn't even realize it. 

I'm so sorry to hear about your broken foot. Please get well soon. How horrible :sad02:

Hopefully Neopets will help pass the time quickly.

I have spinal problems so I haven't been able to feel much below my knees as long as I can remember. When I broke my femur, I didn't feel a lot of pain really. Only reason I knew it was broken was my inability to put pressure and the fact the whole leg turned black and purple and swelled twice the normal size. Same story with my foot-- only reason I knew there was something amiss was the blood. I probably wouldn't have noticed if not for the blood. I could have made things MUCH worse for myself if it hadn't bled. Such as stepping to get back into bed or going to the bathroom or whatever else. So I guess in a way the injury being severe was a good thing so I'd notice something was wrong before I ruined my foot completely. 

It took a little time for any pain to kick in. I didn't feel anything until I got to the hospital, basically. Like right now I can feel it throbbing but it certainly doesn't hurt as much as it probably should hurt a normal, healthy person. They didn't even necessarily need to use local anesthesia on the area to stitch it up since I can't feel much. Of course, they have to follow protocol which means local despite lack of sensation. But I also do have a high tolerance for pain. Partially due to my spinal problems partially due to just natural pain tolerance developed over 26 years. 

I appreciate all the positive vibes/thoughts! I'm still in shock (not the medical version) that it happened. It's always been a HUGE fear of mine because of my decreased sensation in my feet and how I plant them. 

No problem. I'm happy to answer questions about myself so long as they're polite. I like to think of it as a learning experience. If at least one person learns something about handicapped people like me, then I'm happy to talk about myself. But, like I said, the questions have to be polite and there are some questions I'm too nervous to answer (mostly based on bad experiences with reactions from some people). 

Platitudes are better than nothing, sometimes. I'm a believer in positive energy, tbh. 

Positive energy's great, there's no denying that! I find you to be a very positive person, I've been kind of shocked when you've posted about the various issues in your life because you seem to deal really well. Quite an inspiration for me, tbh, because I know I basically don't deal with mine :*

To be honest, a good portion of it is faking it until I make it. I suffer from PTSD and your garden variety depression and anxiety. I just do my best to hide it or smother it. But I appreciate it honestly! I'm glad people can take inspiration from my outlook on things. When you're injured, and you already heal slowly, attitude can mean a lot. It's been documented and tested that staying upbeat and positive can help the healing process. And I need all the help I can get since I heal slower than a diabetic when it comes to my legs and feet. 

I put on a brave face for others, seems easier? Hmm, so actually I guess I do it for me too. I have MS, I lost my job because of that and live on a pittance now, and these days I bearly set foot outside because I can't make it very far, and I'm afraid of struggling/falling. Plus it's had a big impact on me cognitively which is incredibly hard to come to terms with. But sinking into a pit of misery helps no-one, least of all me. Kinda tough sometimes though :* So yeah, positivity! Whenever possible :shiftyeyes_anim:

Do you have circulatory problems with your legs then? I mean is that a seperate issue, or something exacerbated by your spinal problems?

It won't necessarily get easier, but it can lessen some symptoms. Endorphins are a natural pain reliever, and endorphins are released from anything like eating chocolate to feeling positive or even getting scared like on a roller coaster or something. And there's no shame in trying to save up your spoons for something else down the line. You'll make a new normal for yourself, just as I have. I've had to figure out new ways of doing even small things people take for granted like going to the bathroom without needing outside help. You'll be surprised how much your mood will change when you figure out an easier, better way to do something. Necessity is the mother of invention.

I have temperature regulation problems but my circulation is pretty normal. My legs tend to get pretty cold though but i've never been put on any meds for circulation. I've never really been told the actual firm reason. 

My internal thermostat's broke too. I'm on the MS Society forum and I made a thread about exactly this just a few days ago and wow, it seems it's a problem a lot of MS suffers have, I never realised! Way cold (ho ho...) comfort knowing a load of others are suffering too...

If your temp control issues are anything like mine, it seems they basically don't know? I don't even mention them to anyone medical now, because I know how that conversation will go...and I don't want to be thrown out of the doctor's for kicking him in the nuts because his response has been, "well you are 43, it's probably your hormones". :grrr:

Improving your mood just makes things easier to contend with, doesn't it :) I have a hankering for chocolate now, and I don't have any. :P