What is the appeal of the Battledome? / Why do you Battle?

Bright ^_^

It is like everything else in neo, something to do and something to make yourself stand out. I do it for the plots as Xepha stated and for the np you get from doing daily battles.

EDIT: It doesn't have to cost a ton of points (out of pocket) if you just battle and use your winnings for training. I did that for a long time before I got to the 6+ codestone level.

I also train and battle to get the Battledome avatars. But the possible plots with battling are a very important part for me too. I just want to be ready and don't like to lose a fight. Now that you earn prizes from battling every day it's just a lot more appealing.

And then there is Defender of Neopia, that gives nice trophies, another reason to train. At least for when it's working again :)

My reasons combine what Duma and Xepha said.

I wasn't anywhere near ready for the Faeries Ruin plot, so even though I was able to briefly borrow someone's battle pet, the rest I had to use my own and I wasn't able to complete one of the achievements due to my pet's lower stats. I don't want that to ever happen again.

Plus, with the new BD and the prizes, I battle each day and the better the stats of my pet are, the higher difficulty I can fight on and more quickly I can beat them, making the prizes/NP quicker to get.

And I want to be able to get any trophies/avatars that might be released in the future without having to borrow a pet or train a lot.

Another big reason for me, is even though I'm not huge on the BD except for daily prizes/NP and plots, I don't want to suddenly be interested in the BD and have a weak pet and have to spend a long time training. This way, should the urge strike, I'll have a strong pet ready to go.

I started training my pet more actively after the Faerie's Ruin Plot. Like Spritzie my pet just wasn't strong enough. I borrowed a pet from a friend and we switched on and off between challenges.

On a good day I can make about 50k from the Battledome when I battle the Koi Warrior. I'm also working towards getting the Battledome avatars and being able to do better in future plots involving the Battledome.

I used to be completely uninterested in the Battledome, but it all changed with the Battle of the Obelisk. TNT warned us so much to "train our pets" before the event started that I ended up getting convinced. When the Battle of the Obelisk did start, my pet was barely able to fight till the 3rd round.

After the Obelisk event, I was already hooked and just kept on training. :P

I go to the battledome because of the items (Codestones can sell for quite a lot). But most of the time I'm too lazy to go. I battle for sure in the skirmishes for the obelisk though. Mainly because I really want those avvies. But boons are a bonus too! I'm hoping the awakened will win this time so I can get the Refreshed Quest Request since I brought a Faerie Quest Fortune Cookie!

I do it for prizes, wanna stock up on Codestones and faeries. And, when I get a rare, expensive prize - it's my lucky day!! I got an Armoured Negg from the BD once. :D

I think it took not only the updated BD to get me into it, as well as the daily NP and prizes awarded, but also, the Obelisk event. Really got me into training my Aisha, and I participate in the skirmishes as much as I can, even after getting all the avatars. Prizes and boons! Plus, now I'll be even more prepared when the next plot comes around. :) I often train through Faerie Quests, and sometimes the Training School after stocking up on tons of Codestones won from the BD since those things are so expensive, it saves NP that way.

I mostly train so that I can earn codestones and whatnot to fund my book buying habit :P Also because I've had to borrow BD pets from friends in the past so that I have a chance when it comes down to fighting in plots, but I'm trying to get out of that habit in case I get caught out one year! Ellos isn't particularly strong at the moment (about 350 HSD), but I'm keeping stocked in FQ cookies to ensure he can kick some butt by the time the next plot or BD event rolls around ^^

I do it for a variety of reasons. The daily prizes and boons are certainly nice and a factor to help keep me going. Same with the plots and the trophies we're able to get from those.

My main reason however why I got into training was because I got a little competitive with a friend who already owned a strong battle pet before the war ever began. Every single game I play with him I'm always working towards getting stronger/better than him, or at the very least keep up. Since He's got a huge head start on neopets, I'll probably keep training my pet until my stat are the same as his, after that I'm guessing I'm probably going to slack if he doesn't start to train again.

I first tried my hand in to old battledome against the Flaming Meerca. My 'battle' pet got trashed so hard that I hurt for him. I started training to beat the Flaming Meerca when I wasn't on hiatus from Neopets, but failed so many times that my win/loss ratio was less than 20%. Once my pet was strong enough to barely win, I needed him to be strong enough to win with one blow. When he was strong enough to win with one blow, I needed him to win often enough that my win/loss ratio would be less embarrassing. Before I could fix it, the new battledome was released which meant that I had to revisit all my old opponents on their strongest levels to confirm my strength. Then the obelisk war happened. Ugh. That red section in the Fight Record is bumming me out! I will have to battle dozens of times every day until its barely visible. I MUST ELIMINATE THE RED!!

Hi, I use my hissi to BD, and most of his "training" has been the result of 3-4 years of completed faerie quests; I always try to remember to set Lataeus as my active right before completing a quest.

I did make an active effort to bulk up his endurance (hit points) prior to the Battle of the Obelisk plot and used several training cookies to do so. I'm working on getting his hit points up to 1000 so he can hold his own in future plot battles.

I have premium, so I BD against the Jetsam Ace every day until I get my 15 daily items. Sometimes I get as many as 3 nerkmids a day, or zero. Most of my np is from selling those nerkmids, bottled faeries, neocola tokens, and extra codestones. I also do the skirmishes, but only the minimum battle requirement of 10, and only so I can get the avatars/site themes I don't already have.

As a side note, I enjoy defeated the pant devil (repeatedly) in the BD when he steals something from me. :shiftyeyes_anim:

• 2 weeks later...

When I first started playing didn't care for battledome. When I started battleling in defenders of neopia I regreted that a bit. Started to train my battle pet and he's still is not strong enough to win all the plot's opponents. So I train my pet for avies, defenders of neopia and plots.

Chiapias looks like she's furthest along in stats. So you'll probably go with her, right?

I honestly don't know how much I've spent on training my pet over the years. He'd have been a lot stronger now if I hadn't taken a number of extended "breaks" from Neo. His battle set is decent, though I'm frugal, so it's not financially on par with other pets, in even some of the intermediate, or "Noobinators" out there. I make do with less and really always went with what I dubbed, "budget battling". You look at a place, like TDN's own Battlepedia, ( http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/) and look up weapons and other equipment, then you decide what you want and can afford. Training is ALWAYS a good thing and there are a number of ways to do it. We have articles

http://battlepedia.thedailyneopets.com/index.php/articles/index/

As for why I got into the BD, it's because strategy is something I enjoy and I love a decent challenge. Until I reached the max boosts recently, I was almost always an under-leveled battler. Under-leveled, meaning that my stats were between average and much lower than the opponent, mainly for Defenders of Neopia, that I was fighting. I incurred a number of losses because I didn't withdraw very often. Though in the new BD, withdraws are now automatic losses so I never withdraw now. lol

But, the BD, it was something I could do and thought I could excel at. I do pretty ok, but I would love to have a few hundred million NP to upgrade my set. I STILL use a LEAF SHIELD for Pete's sake! LOL

Anyway, the challenge of being weaker and still finding out ways of beating the tougher opponents, is a big reason I enjoyed the BD as much as I have over the years. The NEW BD, I'm ok with, mostly. I wish TNT would hurry up and advance it some more. ;)

I will also say, NEVER discount the 50% Reflectors! Most of the 50% reflection equipment can break permanently, and you will have to re-buy one if it breaks like that. But, Reflectors and defensive items can be EXTREMELY useful, especially if you're just starting out and like I did, budget battle. Just a note, I recommend Expert Lens over Dual Battle Mirror, both reflect 50% light, but the Expert Lens, so far, doesn't seem to be breakable.

Most importantly, TRAIN TRAIN TRAIN. There are a number of ways to train, some cheaper than others. Some of it's been said here already. Check out the article topics in the 2nd link I posted and you should find lots of good information there!

Oh yeah, another VERY important thing. BEFORE battle, EQUIP your Equipment! I actually have 1 withdraw that was rather embarrassing. It was my FIRST time in the BD. And I didn't know you NEEDED weapons equipped. I assumed that like other games, there was a BASE attack skill that didn't need any equipment. I was WRONG. LOL Good thing it was only Punchbag Bob I went up against. I got some equipment after doing a little research on the Old BD, and then I was ready to take I don't know how long to beat Punchbag Bob.... lol

Oh yeah, regarding the new Faerie Abilities. They are level-based, but luckily, the prices on the Weak Bottled Faeries is SO low compared to when they were first released, that it's not too difficult to get the blessings you need to pay for the abilities. The explanation of them should also be in the TDN articles section that I linked you to above. You don't have to worry too much about buying them up. You can get all of the Weak Bottled Faeries as part of your 15 prizes per day limit in the battledome. So no need to say, buy up enough Light Faeries for 120 blessings for the level 400 skill, reflect. When you're only at say, level 50. By the time you get up to 400, you'll probably have earned enough, or CLOSE to enough weak bottled light faeries on your own to not have to pay much or anything to get that skill. In this hypothetical anyway. ;)

I hope this info helps!

I think I'm just going to keep zapping Chiapias and and using just her zapped stats for training. I've read a little bit about the pros and cons of lab battle pets, and for me it's worth it to not have to spend any extra money training and to only level up a little bit a a time. For now, I'm happy selling the codestones that I get as prizes. :) Thank you everyone for your feedback! It's interesting to hear all the different reasons why people battle.

No probs. And yeah, zapping can be a cheap way to train, though I've never done it, just heard about it. ;) But there is the added bonus that you will have the chance at getting really rare colors or pet-types from the Lab Ray. Just, make sure you stay away from Species-specific equipment. At least until you're done Zapping. You'll have to go for equipment that works for all species.

For example, when you get MUCH higher in HP, say a Bag of Healing Dust for 50% healing, and probably an H4000 Helmet for 100% freezing. Or for freezing there is always the Magical Marbles of Mystery from the Hidden Tower. Those are really the two main types of items you'd have to be on the lookout for for non-species. Because some species have healers and freezers unique to them. The species-specific weapons and shields/armor, really isn't usually that good, so don't worry much about those. ;)

Best of luck with your training and battling! :)