When/if you've ever pounded a pet, did you feel bad?

usinski

I've taken pets from the pound before just for avvies and abandoned them afterward and felt pretty bad about it. So i've since stopped at least until I get the lab ray and can keep the pets and then zap them a good color before releasing them. That way, the have a better chance of getting adopted.

When I came back to Neopets after some loooong vacations in the Evil Meepit's lair, I decided I wanted cooler Neopets, but mine had quite bad names, were basic colors and untrained and I didn't have the money for the lab ray map... But I just COULDN'T pound them!! I felt soo bad... It was like a part of my childhood going away (I created them when I was 8) so I transferred three of them to my side, and they've been there, rejected for quite some years now (Of course, I kept the usul that magically turned Magma xD)

You know what? Now that I have access to the lab I probably should bring sawa_8 back from oblivion, she must feel really alone...

• 2 weeks later...

There's always a teeny tiny twinge of guilt when pounding a pet .... it usually goes away when the pet is adopted ...

I once pounded a pet which got pound-stuck .... and it was a painted one too ... I kept advertising him on the PC until someone adopted him :D

I still check on my pounded pets every now and then ... too bad some of them are in abandoned accounts .... but some of them got repainted or morphed into better pets :) so it evens out ... with me they were not going to "improve" ... so they should either get purged or become active ....

I abandoned a starry jetsam a while ago. She was adopted, but the person that adopted her didn't do much with her. She's sad and nekkid. I don't feel bad for pounding her, but I do feel bad that she didn't find a good home. It happens, though, and she's not exactly an actual pet lol

I only feel bad because of the things they say on the abandon button. neopets, stop giving virtual pets so much emotions!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts. These have been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I've only pounded once. I could never do it with my main pets. After 6 years, I'm far too attached to them. I did pound an Eyrie a week or so ago, but she was a labbie and got zapped a nice color... Someone snatched her up right away. :) So, no guilt. I'm glad somebody got a nice pet.

I haven't pounded any of my original pets that I create but like most of the people I adopt pets from the pound and would zap them and then abandon *gulp* so they could be adopted by someone who really wants them.... however it still made me feel bad so I would just quickly click the button where they plead you not to give them up and thats that.

Pounding a zafara breaks my heart

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 1 month later...

I think I've only pounded one pet I created myself, that one makes me feel a little guilty. But what happened is I had transferred my Faerie Elephante to my side account, and the annoying Elephante hat didn't come with it. So I created a new Elephante and gave its hat to my Faerie Elephante so mine could have its proper hat. It's really obnoxious that Elephante hats and Aisha collars disappear in the pound. Unfortunately the Elephante I created is currently still in the pound. And I think it has a great name! (GreatSchnozzola) He looks so saaad.

I just pounded a Buzz two days ago that I originally got from the pound. I only got him so I could get the Buzzin avatar. I painted him Maraquan to up his chance of him getting adopted. I felt bad pounding him and I felt worse when he wasn't adopted for a while. Luckily he was adopted this morning so I feel a lot better now. I do feel guilty when pounding pets, I have to remind myself that it's just a game and I need to not look at their text boxes while I'm pounding them. TNT knows how to take you on a guilt trip with pounding. I also pounded one of my original pets who became a Mutant Kougra. I felt especially bad because I had him since I started playing practically and he was in the pound for months on end. He was badly named so that's probably why he wasn't getting adopted. Eventually one of my friends adopted him since they felt bad for him.

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, when I first started my account I wanted another lupe really badly and got rid the cybunny i had. I still feel bad to this day for getting rid of it. I know its just a game but I get attached to my pets. When they are unhappy or hungry I do everything I can to make them happy again. I know I am weird. >.<

I've personally only pounded pets I adopted for avatars in the first place. I didn't feel bad.

My girlfriend on the other hand almost couldn't pound the pets back, especially a xweetok she found in there. She finally did pound it, but she went and created a new xweetok x_x she didn't like the name the other one had or she would have kept I'm sure..

Typically, when I pound a pet, it's a pet that I adopted just to zap and put it in the pound for adoption again when it gets a nice colour/species zap, in which case I don't really feel guilty because they will most likely get adopted very soon. But when I'm pounding a pet and I know it will never get adopted because it's a basic pet with a name like ruki_3894_98898... I'm like "please forgive me, I'm terribly sorry, I'll try and pick you up later, sorry that you're going to be a hobo for who knows how long"

• 2 weeks later...

In general no. The only time I've pounded a pet and felt bad is when it has a great name or is an LE pet so it has a lot of trading potential because I really need the room. "Trading potential" - that sounds just as harsh and could spawn a new debate on its own!

I feel a little bad. Mostly because of the emotionally manipulative buttons you have to click through before you can pound a pet.

I actually have two pets that I made when I was 13ish who both have terrible names and I cannot bring myself to pound them because of the sentimental value. They're both painted so I know they'd get picked up but I just can't part with them.

I did pound one of my pets, but he's limited edition and painted and last time I checked he had been adopted. This makes me glad you can't pound Lutaris. Lulu is stuck with me for life!!!

When I adopted my Shoyru for an avatar I couldn't pound him, I tried on several occasions but I just couldn't until after I zapped him into a more desirable color to ensure he would get picked up, the five emotionally infused buttons you have to click made it a really sad event. I still can't pound a pet unless he/she is a decent color, and even when I do I can't read the buttons.

No, Pommy, you're not weird! I am super attached to my pets too. Originally I made two pets (a Korbat & a Gnorbu) and I decided I just did not like my korbat...but I can't pound him. I'd just feel so awful. So I'm looking into alternate ways - hopefully labraying him into a different species or a transmogrification potion since I still need the mutant jubjub avatar.

Even when fostering a pet for an avatar that I know I'm going to pound I still feel bad. That 'leave me to die' on the button kills my heart a little. :/

No, Pommy, you're not weird! I am super attached to my pets too. Originally I made two pets (a Korbat & a Gnorbu) and I decided I just did not like my korbat...but I can't pound him. I'd just feel so awful. So I'm looking into alternate ways - hopefully labraying him into a different species or a transmogrification potion since I still need the mutant jubjub avatar.

Even when fostering a pet for an avatar that I know I'm going to pound I still feel bad. That 'leave me to die' on the button kills my heart a little. :/

Maybe you are both weird.

When I was but a newbie, I didn't care so much about pet names and I looked for a pounded pet that was level 2. Poorly named pets DO get adopted, but there are so many that they are hard for Dr. Death to deal with them all.

Now guess how meepit juice is made.

• 4 weeks later...

Whether or not I feel bad depends on the pet, I've found. I remember that I had once adopted a Blue usul from the pound when I was very young. Now, I really don't like Usuls and the thing had a horrible name. I ended up zapping her and then finally, after years of her sitting on my account, I pounded her. I felt bad at first but when I checked on her a few days later, I found that she had been adopted, dressed, and well loved by a new owner. This owner had her looking like a princess and I could tell the new owner was happy with her. I didn't feel bad after that because I knew that keeping her would have meant her rotting on my account. I couldn't love her like this new owner did.