Tattoos.

complicatedwishes

I've thought about getting a tattoo. But so far, there has been no particular image that I think would fit me. A butterfly perhaps because that the meaning of my name. Probably on my nape. Or a nice flower thingy on my lower back.

On the other hand, here in our country some jobs require you to not have any visible tattoos when in uniform. And people think differently when a female gets a tattoo (unless of course you're a superstar). It just isn't the norm.

For me, I think some are cute. And I think each and everyone should be entitled to his/her opinion. I just don't like it when people get "overtattooed". It sort of looks scary. Anyway, if people accept nose jobs and any other of that sort, why not tattoos? Besides, tattoo is an art, isn't it?

• 3 weeks later...

My tattoo was a college graduation present to myself - and my parents were NOT happy, even though I'm an adult. >.> I've wanted it for years which is what motivated me to finally do it. I also got it on my ribcage so that I can hide it most of the time (eg. won't prevent me from getting hired or anything). But I read somewhere that tattoos are addicting and I agree with that too because now I reeeaaally want another one and I don't even know what I'd get! lol

I've just got home :) I got a sugar skull.

Here's a photo of it I just took:

That is so awesome! I love the color combo. I'm a big fan of the sugar skulls, actually. But here in PA noone seems to have them at all. I'm going for a certain theme on my body so I won't do it, myself.

Sorry for responing so late :P School gets to me.

P.S. What is your phone ? I really love the cover.

I have three tattoos and I plan to get more, but I think every person is entitled to do with their body what they want. Some people would rather tell their journey through their skin rather then a diary. I know mine have meaning which other people can't see, but as long as I know the importance of them to me that's all that matters.

That is so awesome! I love the color combo. I'm a big fan of the sugar skulls, actually. But here in PA noone seems to have them at all. I'm going for a certain theme on my body so I won't do it, myself.

Sorry for responing so late :P School gets to me.

P.S. What is your phone ? I really love the cover.

Thank you :)

My phone is IPhone 4S :) I got the case from HMV here in the UK.

I'm in Asia, so tattoos are short of associating with your social status. Only people with bad or low social status have tattoos. Normal people don't.

I like tattoos, but I can not get one .... I just get a temporary one yesterday. It looks nice but will go away soon in a week or so

I'm in Asia, so tattoos are short of associating with your social status. Only people with bad or low social status have tattoos. Normal people don't.

I like tattoos, but I can not get one .... I just get a temporary one yesterday. It looks nice but will go away soon in a week or so

This makes me sad! I hope you don't find it suffocating that you are unable to get one. I personally couldn't see life without them. I enjoy using my beautiful blank canvas to create stories, or retell stories. I have so many planned. Not to be covered, but to at least have them in many spots. :) I think it brings more beauty to a person when they display their heart on their sleeve.

As an artist, I see tattoos and an art form. Tattooing and Scarification date back to a very old cultural status of body modification that has always, and will always be beautiful to the wearer.

I've done many tattoos as a hobby, and I'm slowly learning the proper way to do scarification tattoos correctly, but I personally have no tattoos or scarification tattoos.

So many people ask me why and a lot of my friends as if they can even tattoo me, each almost competing to be the first.

I just smile and tell them that I'm saving my skin for the perfect tattoo that represents me. :D

A very good documentary to watch is called Modify. It's PG13, because of a lot of revealing skin, and a bit of blood from scarification, tattoos, and piercings, but I don't remember any actual nudity or anyone cursing. There is also a segment about suspension, because it is considered as a form a body modification, which can be a little bit unsettling to some people. Though the whole thing ranges from something as extreme as full body tattoos and suspension all the way to the other end of the spectrum, muscle building, face lifts, and hissi implants (which are all totally normal in our society but still body modification).

Body modification is a very passionate subject for me. <3

This makes me very sad :( I can't believe people who are seen to have low social status have tattoos in Asia.

• 2 weeks later...

I am 16 and I want a tattoo right this instance. I have been looking at some for quite a few months and decided I want one after watching The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. It's weird because before I said I would NEVER get one and now I really want one. I am so anticipated to turn 18 and get it or sneak out and get it. My mother thinks I do this stuff to tick her off but I do it because I really want this and I know she would say no. She even got mad at me for picking out the tattoo I want on my body. I recall this being my body and not the family's body making the choice. I have every right to do what I want to my body, it's my choice and no one has the right to tell me what to do or how to use it. Your body is a canvas, design it. I do not like blank canvas, I like seeing bodies with meaning on them through art and I want to become a tattoo artist. I find people worrying about how others show themselves is very nosy and means they have no life. My body, my . Don't like it, oh well. You aren't me so don't worry about me. What I do with my body is none of your concern. And frankly every single one of us have been using body modifications to make us look "prettier".

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts. These have been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I think tattoos in essence are fine. Of course there are nice tattoos and ugly tattoos, well thought-out ones and impulse/stupid ones.

I think one of the most important characteristics of tattoos are that it gives people a shortcut to knowing information about you. It's like holding up a sign that says "I AM -insert word here-" for your WHOLE LIFE. Which is one reason some people are against tattoos, it gives them information about people that they wished to not have known. Another reason is a lot of tattoos just look bad. Now this isn't usually an accurate way of judging people, but it is convincing to many.

Personally, I don't think there's anything wrong with having a tattoo. I don't have any, and I'm not sure if I would get one, but I think it should be a person's choice. My boyfriend recently got a Buddhist tattoo covering his entire back. It looks awesome and is also very meaningful to him.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Lots of people I know have tattoos which represent something special to them, and they'd thought long and hard about getting the tattoos for a long time; the tattoos weren't just something they had done for fun in a single moment of idiocy that they'd regret later. :) Most (most) people who have tattoos are very happy with them, knowing full well that they are permanent, and don't regret a single thing about getting them. If you don't feel happy about your new tattoo, chances are it wasn't a good idea.

I don't have any tattoos, seeing as I'm under 18, but I probably will in the future :) My mom, on the other hand, is something else (: On one wrist she has a Calla Lily in an ornate frame (which represents me), and a sparrow carrying a scroll of paper. On the other she has a skull-and-crossbones, and a needle through a heart.

She has a celtic design of a snake with heads at both ends around her left shoulder (can't find the image), which covers up an old Yin-Yang symbol she had done when she was 18. On her right shoulder she has a spiral which wraps around most of her upper arm and turns into another smaller spiral. That tattoo also covers up another spiral which was way older and smaller. She plans to get a birch tree covering her whole back, and an owl on her arm somewhere.

my mom has lots of tattoos :P

I thought this was more of a traditionalist thing? I know a few animators (not personally, more of 'know a person who is in this persons outer social circle') who have sick tats. Nothing full body, but you can see them.

I one day want a sillouet of a rabbit on my right shoulder blade. I bike everywhere, even at night. If it weren't for me stopping to look at cute little wild rabbits on multiple occasions, I would hsve been run over by drivers who think the laws don't apply late at night.

I have a tattoo, but I went through a lot of planning and thinking before I decided to put it on my body. It was a process of drawing it myself, finding the meaning behind wanting to alter my own body for life, and working with my tattoo artist on where it should go/what it should look like/the colors. I picked my left inside ankle, because it's an easily covered up spot if I should ever need to look presentable. The tattoo was for me, not for anyone else.

I believe that you have the right to alter your body however you want. But at the same time, I think a lot of people need to be fully educated about the consequences of permanently altering your body and what that is going to mean when you are 40+ years old and with children of your own. Hell, is the tattoo even relevant after this year? So many people go through so many life altering changes, where things are so meaningful to them now, but that doesn't mean it is going to mean the exact same to you years later.

I work with 65+ year seniors every day, and they tell me again and again what they could have done differently - I hate to see something so easily avoidable done.

Because as much as society shouldn't cast a judgmental eye on what your wearing - what you wear is what you are presenting. What you put for everyone to see, you are doing that in a conscious effort to communicate what you believe you are. When you communicate you made an impulse decision to put a tattoo on a visible part of your body, people are going to react.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd be a lot more wary of tattoo placement than content (although, obviously, boyfriend/girlfriend's names and internet memes are gigantic regrets in the making) because a tattoo can changes its meaning to you over life. Like, let's say you're young and carefree and hang out at the beach all day so you decide to tattoo something related to that just because. Later in life you've moved on to bigger things, like a career and a family. You are no longer that lazy carefree bum at the beach all day, but that doesn't mean you suddenly have a tattoo you can't relate to anymore. Maybe now it just represents being young in spirit and not taking yourself too seriously. You know?

But if you get that tattoo on your neck or your hand, then you're setting yourself up for trouble. A lot of companies and employers will not hire you with such a visible tattoo (and let's face it, neck and hand tats are pretty gangsta :laughingsmiley:) even in societies where tattoos are pretty mainstream. So I guess what I'm saying is it's not just the meaning/what you get tattooed, but more importantly WHERE you get it tattooed.

On the other hand I know people who regretted getting their tattoos done so SMALL (another mistake people make when scared to commit to a tattoo) or tattooed it in a place they knew wouldn't hurt as much knowing full well that tat would look better on their ribs (for example).

So I guess when talking of "regret" in the tattoo world, there are many different kinds. My advice is when considering your tattoo, just look at the big picture. Don't let temporary motives (like pain) dictate where or how you get tattooed, but keep in mind that it doesn't get in the way of your life plan (like a job).

Also, I wouldn't worry how it's gonna look when you're old, because you'll be wrinkly and yer bewbs'll sag to yer knees by then so who cares. :woot:

*ps that gangsta comment is a joke, coming from a woman raising a child of a very gangsta tattoo artist :rolleyes_anim:

I love tattoos, though I don't have any and I'm not positive that I'll ever get any. They're art and I hate that they're treated with such disdain by so many people. The only thing a tattoo says about a person is "I'm a person who wanted a tattoo"...unless the text of the tattoo actually reads "hello I am a serial killer" or something. I know people with elaborate sleeves they spent years planning and I know people with tiny stick-n-pokes they got on impulse and all of them are equally happy with their tattoos. I can't wait until the day when most of society (this means you, employers!) stops acting like only bad, irresponsible people have tattoos.

(As far as "they'll look bad when you're old!" argument goes, I suggest a google image search of Nick Wooster. Totally possible to be old and tattoo-covered and really awesome. What a nifty guy.)

• 1 month later...

Two apologies in advance.

Apology #1: I'm sorry for bumping an old topic. It's just that...if we get new information, or something new to talk about at least, or a new person comes in...I don't really feel comfortable starting a new topic for it when we have all this good information here.

Apology #2: I'm sorry that what I'm about to post isn't *quite* on-topic. But it's close enough to my beliefs on tattoos that it seemed relevant. Again...this is not worth starting a new topic.

I just want to rant about this.

This picture, a picture of a guy with a ton of piercings, is going viral on facebook right now, with the caption "Describe him in one word."

644386_633198690030459_1011416334_n.jpg

There are currently over 30,000 comments on it, the majority of them very nasty. A lot of them involve the worst of curse words. A lot of them judge his intelligence. A lot of them say that he's going to hell (which, I have to say, is more than one word--perhaps you could shorten it to "hellbound"?) And, of course, a lot of them say "unemployed" or something to that effect.

Less than one in every 100 is positive, or at least not horribly negative. Two of my friends commented, and both were non-negative: "unusual" and "creative". Pretty much all non-negative words in these are variations on these: unique, interesting, etc.

This honestly makes me throw my hands up in the air sometimes, but without saying "aaaaaayo, gotta leeeeet go." Instead, this hand-throwing was followed by placing my hands back on the keyboard and typing.

I don't like the look of these piercings. I don't like the LOOK. But defining a person based on the look? Now THAT I will judge.

I commented two comments. Number one said "Human." Number two said: "And if I were to describe the majority of people commenting on this in one word? Judgmental."

Pardon me for being judgmental myself, but I feel you can judge a person more on their actions than on their looks. I guess actively going out to get piercings IS an action, buuuut...

Two apologies in advance.

Apology #1: I'm sorry for bumping an old topic. It's just that...if we get new information, or something new to talk about at least, or a new person comes in...I don't really feel comfortable starting a new topic for it when we have all this good information here.

Apology #2: I'm sorry that what I'm about to post isn't *quite* on-topic. But it's close enough to my beliefs on tattoos that it seemed relevant. Again...this is not worth starting a new topic.

I just want to rant about this.

This picture, a picture of a guy with a ton of piercings, is going viral on facebook right now, with the caption "Describe him in one word."

644386_633198690030459_1011416334_n.jpg

There are currently over 30,000 comments on it, the majority of them very nasty. A lot of them involve the worst of curse words. A lot of them judge his intelligence. A lot of them say that he's going to hell (which, I have to say, is more than one word--perhaps you could shorten it to "hellbound"?) And, of course, a lot of them say "unemployed" or something to that effect.

Less than one in every 100 is positive, or at least not horribly negative. Two of my friends commented, and both were non-negative: "unusual" and "creative". Pretty much all non-negative words in these are variations on these: unique, interesting, etc.

This honestly makes me throw my hands up in the air sometimes, but without saying "aaaaaayo, gotta leeeeet go." Instead, this hand-throwing was followed by placing my hands back on the keyboard and typing.

I don't like the look of these piercings. I don't like the LOOK. But defining a person based on the look? Now THAT I will judge.

I commented two comments. Number one said "Human." Number two said: "And if I were to describe the majority of people commenting on this in one word? Judgmental."

Pardon me for being judgmental myself, but I feel you can judge a person more on their actions than on their looks. I guess actively going out to get piercings IS an action, buuuut...

I'd like your post but I ran out of positive votes for the day. Those Facebook photos can get fairly ridiculous. Tbh the first thing that popped into my head was "brave" because I can't believe how much it would hurt getting all those done.

I'm really not trying to be judgmental here but those commenters seemed kinda rude and judged him by his piercings, without even knowing what he was like, if he had a family or a job, which seems kinda judgmental to me.

Sorry for being off-topic, but I had to agree with Farewell to Apathy on this as I also dislike this kind of judging. "Don't judge a book by its cover."

Some people care entirely too much about what other people look like and especially what other people choose to look like. It's perfectly fine to not like the look of someone, but the entire world doesn't need to know that you don't like it. Too much negativity spread from things that are utterly irrelevant. Well done for being the voice of reason, Farewell to Apathy (feels awkward calling you that, but since that is your display name, it'll do :) )

I may be getting a tattoo this Summer. Since I want to go into working with children in the future, I'm making sure and thinking about a place where I can cover it up and then show it off when I'm not at work. I don't see why people get so worked up over something as little as a tattoo.