Tattoos.

complicatedwishes

he he he this picture is so me ... well i dont have full sleeves but i have 2 fairly-sized tattoos :)

Tattoos have been around longer than all of you probably think.

yes it was a way of expressing belonging to the tribe

• 3 weeks later...

I don't mind tattoos or find that they ruin a person's body. I personally would never get one myself, but I understand the rationale of others as it is a personal choice. Some tattoos do have a significant story behind them.

• 3 weeks later...

"The end result is a million simple souls all with exactly the same primitive daubings, all telling you what an individual they are."

I think this is one of the parts I disliked the most in his article.

Mostly, because it seems as if getting a tattoo will instantaneously make you a simple person stripping you from any kind of individuality.

I mean, his logic is so flawed I can't even find it. Saying something so definitive and polemic with no arguments whatsoever to back it up is just a way of avoiding a discussion by stating your opinions as facts .

Also, it bothers me the way he says attention as if it is a bad thing in any case, of any kind and because of any reason. I,personally, think attention is not a bad thing by itself. For example, if I were to get a tattoo, I would want it to catch MY attention, MY boyfriend's, etc. because it would be pretty, meaningful, funny, whatever. And I think THAT attention wouldn't be of the bad kind,

And again with the bad arguments, putting as an example of the "tattooed nation" a series of celebrities (who may or may not have made good decisions when getting a tattoo) that don't represent efficiently a section of the tattooed population just doesn't make sense. It's like saying: A man with a piercing mugged me yesterday, that shows how piercings make people bad. The cause and the consecuence just don't match.

It's also disapointing, because a good respectful article with solid arguments based on facts rather than opinions could have contributed with another angle to the discussion.

• 3 weeks later...

yeah the whole 'how will it look when you're 60 years old' remark is absolutely dumbfounding. again, whatever someone gets on their own skin is their own decision. no need to criticize it or put it down with redundant comments. to be honest, by the time most of us are 60, considering how quickly technology is booming, i'm sure there will be many option for tattoo removal. the current process is still fairly undeveloped so people ought to take into consideration how things will change in the next ~40 years.

As someone with many tattoos and piercings, I'm kind of biased, lol. At lot of people look at me and say I'm going to regret them.

My philosophy on that is that these images are of things that interest me in a certain point in my life, or they are things that are definitions of myself.

For instance, my first tattoo was of the Psychopathic Records music label's logo 'Hatchet Girl'. (Many people see this and think it's just for the group Insane Clown Posse, but those people are dumb) I've been a huge fan of the label, and I'm not as much now as I was then, but I don't regret it because that was an important interest of mine that comprises who I am today.

I also have Kanji symbols for 'Daughter' and 'Elder Sister' tattooed. That is one thing that will never change. I will always be my mother's daughter, and I will always be my younger sister's elder sister.

Now, I will say, I have seen a lot of tattoos that are complete train wrecks, but those usually spawn from drunken bad ideas...

I think to completely write off about 90% of the population just because they're inked is completely irrational. They'll realize it once the population of tattooed humans grows...

yeah the whole 'how will it look when you're 60 years old' remark is absolutely dumbfounding. again, whatever someone gets on their own skin is their own decision. no need to criticize it or put it down with redundant comments. to be honest, by the time most of us are 60, considering how quickly technology is booming, i'm sure there will be many option for tattoo removal. the current process is still fairly undeveloped so people ought to take into consideration how things will change in the next ~40 years.

Plus, when people become 60 and 70, I'm sure how their tattoo looks now is not going to be the first thing on their mind. For the majority of people, you'll have wrinkles and sagging skin so big deal your tattoo doesn't look the same either...no part of you will. It will be much more common too. The population of young people getting tattoos now will be aging together so they'll be a boom of elderly people with tattoos so it won't be a rare occurrence that you see them. Once a person grows old and their tattoo changes, they'll still have the happy memories of having the tattoo they wanted for years and that's all that matters.

I'm pro choice (in most, if not all, cases)! Personally, I think I'll get one one day and I might even have decided on what to ink. The placing is still a bit of a haze though (^w^)

As someone with many tattoos and piercings, I'm kind of biased, lol. At lot of people look at me and say I'm going to regret them.

My philosophy on that is that these images are of things that interest me in a certain point in my life, or they are things that are definitions of myself.

For instance, my first tattoo was of the Psychopathic Records music label's logo 'Hatchet Girl'. (Many people see this and think it's just for the group Insane Clown Posse, but those people are dumb) I've been a huge fan of the label, and I'm not as much now as I was then, but I don't regret it because that was an important interest of mine that comprises who I am today.

I also have Kanji symbols for 'Daughter' and 'Elder Sister' tattooed. That is one thing that will never change. I will always be my mother's daughter, and I will always be my younger sister's elder sister.

Now, I will say, I have seen a lot of tattoos that are complete train wrecks, but those usually spawn from drunken bad ideas...

I think to completely write off about 90% of the population just because they're inked is completely irrational. They'll realize it once the population of tattooed humans grows...

I think you make great point when you say that you don't regret your Psychopathic Records' label tattoo because, at one time in your life, it mattered to you.

I have several tattoos myself & I love all of them. For me I see them as historical artworks; they tell the story of my life.

I do respect and understand peoples distaste for them, however when I am at my local stores or out and about, I do not like having to hear people's negative opinions on them considering I do not even ask for them. :sad01_anim:

I don't have any tattoos myself, though I've entertained the notion of someday getting one, but I'm completely for people being able to do whatever they want on their skin and body without having to face any sort of discrimination or ill-treatment because of it. It makes me really upset when I hear about friends of mine that are heavily tattooed or pierced having difficulty finding "real" jobs, e.g. not at a fast food restaurant, simply because of their appearance. As if that affects their work ethic or their useful skills or something...It's a little ridiculous that you can't look "professional" if you have a lot of tattoos/piercings.

• 2 weeks later...

Took me some years to get the courage to get a tattoo aswell.

Though I already have plans to get a few more made (Dragon covering the upper part of my arm+hissi) and symbols down my stomach.

Currently only a student, but when im done and ending up working at a hospital, all my tattoos will be covered by my everyday clothes. I make sure not to get anything tattoo'd that is visible when I have clothes on.

I suppose I don't want my patients to flee at the sight of me :)

• 3 weeks later...

I have a tattoo of a dragon on my ribcage I designed myself. As a kid I was always in love with dragons and they sparked my interest in drawing and art, so they hold a special place in my heart : D

I have one tattoo that's terrible and I hate it. It's '98 3/4' on my wrist and it was done by an trainee (which they didn't tell me).

I've left it for a few months to see if it gets any better but it's just so badly done ... I'm going to go back there and ask for a cover up methinks, I don't reckon it's salvageable.

My first tattoo ever and I got it on my birthday XD It's putting me off getting any more.

I'm getting another tattoo tomorrow. Nervous but excited.

What are you getting? :) (I only have two so I've been tempted to add to my collection as well!)

I think tattoo's are a nice concept, but I could never imagine me getting one. An image on my body seems odd, despite it being represetntation to some. I just draw in a sketchbook or on a board to express my self, so I guess it's kind of like a tattoo, except it's not on the body. I don't condemn them though, there's no real reason, unless you put something stupid or are doing it for the wrong kind of attention, but that rule goes for everything. Plus, it seems like a hassle to get it removed if you don't like it.

What are you getting? :) (I only have two so I've been tempted to add to my collection as well!)

I've just got home :) I got a sugar skull.

Here's a photo of it I just took:

522918_10151220935174788_1808333468_n.jpg

I think tattoo's are a nice concept, but I could never imagine me getting one. An image on my body seems odd, despite it being represetntation to some. I just draw in a sketchbook or on a board to express my self, so I guess it's kind of like a tattoo, except it's not on the body. I don't condem them though, there's no real reason, unless you put something stupid or are doing it for the wrong kind of attention, but that rule goes for everything. Plus, it seems like a hassle to get it removed if you don't like it.

I wholeheartedly agree with this^

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Make sure your posts meet the 7 word minimum. Quotes don't count.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I had a Siamese cat tattoo that looked so realistic.(SO WEIRD,IKR!?)So anyway,I lost it somewhere,but I might find it,maybe in my tabby's mouth,or maybe crumpled up on the floor.

Love, love, love! Sugar skull art is amazing, and it looks like your artist did a really good job on the shading, something that seems like it would be easy, but is insanely difficult to do well.