Tattoos.

complicatedwishes

I think tattoos are great for the right reasons, like not for the sake of just getting one, but ones with meaning and depth you know?
I personally have one myself, parents were accepting of it (me being asian and all that's pretty rare) they weren't too happy though.. I plan to get another one done, on a bigger scale this time, and its gonna be an artwork of my own, so pretty excited for that!

• 2 months later...

I love tattoos. I especially love hearing the stories behind tattoos. I think each person should have the right to decide what goes on their own body. I personally am not a huge fan of word tattoos. I prefer a picture with meaning over just a word. But that's just my opinion. Some people prefer words and that's just fine too!

• 2 months later...

I must've been on neo too long the other day cause it looked like a lady at the store had an angry quiggle tattooed on her arm..

My husband & I talked about getting our wedding rings tattooed on. That's the only thing I think I would get. I love the idea that the symbol of our marriage would always be there even if we had to have our wedding bands off for something.

I don't mind tattoos at all. In fact, most of my friends have them...even my wife has one!

That having been said...I will not ever get one.

The reason is probably a bit odd...but I have pretty severe OCD. I AM medicated...but, one of my 'things' is 'something is on me'.

I will feel like SOMETHING IS ON ME...and will rub and wipe and scrape until whatever it is is off. Sometimes it really IS something, like...glitter (oh dear lord how I despise glitter) or dirt, or a pen mark. All easy enough to wash away.

A tattoo though? Even if I LOVED it...I've no doubt that I would have a point in time that it would HAVE TO BE OFF OF ME. I am extreme enough that that would likely lead to me taking an orbital sander to my skin. Heh. No joke.

So, yah...no tats for me!

:P

My feelings on tattoos are mixed. There is a tattoo I've wanted since I was 16 - I've had it drawn up and everything - as a constant reminder for myself, but I have refrained from getting it because I find tattoos really unattractive. I have settled for hanging the sketch on my wall. I could certainly never be one of those people who gets memorial tattoos for a couple of reasons. First, because I have chronic depression and it would only encourage me to fall into my little emotional ruts and second, because I've already lost so many and, after the first, I'd feel sorta obligated to tattoo any future lost loved ones on. I'd start running out of space eventually! I know that's probably weird, but it's just how I am.

Despite the fact that I think tattoos are ugly, I totally disagree with the author of that article. To assume that everyone gets a tattoo just to attract attention is ridiculously narrow-minded. Naturally there are people who get tattoos just to feel more unique or even because they want to blend in, but how does that make them any worse than people who do other things for the same reasons, like dying their hair vibrant colors or wearing strange clothes? I'm sure we all find attention-seekers annoying, but generalizing people like that is ignorance at its finest. You shouldn't just assume that all those who have tattoos are thirsty for attention and vice-versa. Furthermore, it's not his/her place to ridicule someone else for what they do with their body. I don't like tattoos on people, but I don't judge them or think less of them for it anymore than I would someone who has a haircut I find unappealing. Have we become such a superficial society that we can't talk to and befriend anyone who we don't find visually exceptional? I'm certainly not that shallow and I would hope that there are others who feel the same way. I'm not going to sink to the author's level and judge him/her even though we've never met, but that article made him/her come off as completely classless and imbecilic.

I don't know. Maybe I'm just too accepting, but I really don't care what piercings/tattoos/hairstyle/clothes/whatever someone has as long as they prove to be a good person. To waste an entire post ranting and raving about people with tattoos... I mean, really? I can think of tons of better subjects than that. What about people who cut in line? Don't know how to use their blinkers? Drive 30 miles over the speed limit in a school zone? Speak lewdly and cuss loudly in public places when there are children about? Any one of those trivial things would be better, in my opinion. xD I mean, if he/she has the emotional stamina to spend on getting upset over what people choose to do with their bodies, I envy him/her. I wish I had that kind of energy to spare on minuscule things like that.

I don't think there is anything wrong with art on the body, in some ways it can be beautiful. Something's I wouldn't want personally but hey its your body and if it makes you feel good then so be it. I accept anyone for who they are :laughingsmiley: whether you like tattoos or not, have tattoos or piercing.

I don't mind tattoos at all. In fact, most of my friends have them...even my wife has one!

That having been said...I will not ever get one.

The reason is probably a bit odd...but I have pretty severe OCD. I AM medicated...but, one of my 'things' is 'something is on me'.

I will feel like SOMETHING IS ON ME...and will rub and wipe and scrape until whatever it is is off. Sometimes it really IS something, like...glitter (oh dear lord how I despise glitter) or dirt, or a pen mark. All easy enough to wash away.

A tattoo though? Even if I LOVED it...I've no doubt that I would have a point in time that it would HAVE TO BE OFF OF ME. I am extreme enough that that would likely lead to me taking an orbital sander to my skin. Heh. No joke.

So, yah...no tats for me!

:P

@fullonparanoid: Medicated for OCD? You must be type one, then. I'm type two. No meds on earth can touch it. I just have to learn how to live with it. I envy you, though I have to admit, it's a lot cheaper for me than it must be for you. I'm glad that something works for you.

Back to the topic! Yes, I'm all for tats. I have three. I have to admit, however, that I got mine long before the really amazing artists started emerging. The things they can do now are simply awe inspiring.

Which brings me to the question of re-inking. Do you think that you should have something that's not horribly wrong turned into a modern masterpiece or just move on and put something amazing somewhere else? Leave history be, as it were. (I've seen some of the World's Worst Tattoo series and wow... some of those are a hot mess.) I'm seriously considering cover-up work because I'd rather use the existing space (right shoulder) for the beginning of a sleeve. The only thing is that there is some sentimental attachment to one of the two tats there. Hmmm. What to do?

Hey, you guys! You guys! Remember when I was like "Nah, I'm never going to get a tattoo because there's nothing I'd want on my body permanently?

...I got a tattoo a few months ago!

Guess where! You'll never guess!

It's on my face.

"WHAT?" I don't actually hear you cry. "Ye of not liking tattoos so much got a tattoo on your face?"

It's permanent eyeliner. It's not actually hardcore at all. But it's a tattoo that's useful for me, since I do stage and need stage makeup, and because I look a little asleep without eye makeup, but my eyes get irritated and start stinging and watering on a regular basis. So I have a medical reason for it! Hooray! *cough* Also, I feel pretty...

Hey, you guys! You guys! Remember when I was like "Nah, I'm never going to get a tattoo because there's nothing I'd want on my body permanently?

...I got a tattoo a few months ago!

Guess where! You'll never guess!

It's on my face.

"WHAT?" I don't actually hear you cry. "Ye of not liking tattoos so much got a tattoo on your face?"

It's permanent eyeliner. It's not actually hardcore at all. But it's a tattoo that's useful for me, since I do stage and need stage makeup, and because I look a little asleep without eye makeup, but my eyes get irritated and start stinging and watering on a regular basis. So I have a medical reason for it! Hooray! *cough* Also, I feel pretty...

How did THAT feel? And speaking of this, I was at a tattoo convention over a year ago and a man was trying to get people to check out their "cosmetic tattoo" booth and suggested it to me. That jerk didn't even notice that I don't wear makeup!

Anyways, I love tattoos and have 10 myself. I don't know whether I'll get any more minus maybe one for my soon-to-be-born daughter and possibly a purple Hasee?!

I'm planning to get my first ever tattoo. I want it to be either a full wolf or just a wolf head depending on what looks best. I'm thinking head but not sure yet. For positioning I was first thinking about the area between the shoulder blades but it doesn't feel right, I won't be able to see it without a mirror. Maybe I should put it on the left side of my chest. Wolves have a certain place in my heart anyway. Or maybe on one of my arms...argh can't decide! Any suggestions?

I'm planning to get my first ever tattoo. I want it to be either a full wolf or just a wolf head depending on what looks best. I'm thinking head but not sure yet. For positioning I was first thinking about the area between the shoulder blades but it doesn't feel right, I won't be able to see it without a mirror. Maybe I should put it on the left side of my chest. Wolves have a certain place in my heart anyway. Or maybe on one of my arms...argh can't decide! Any suggestions?

I wouldn't worry about not being able to see it without a mirror because it's going to be there for a long time, you'll be able to see it plenty :) I'd suggest choosing somewhere that feels right on your body even if you can't always see it. Left side of your chest sounds nice. I personally like full body animal tattoos as a half sleeve. My boyfriend has a snake tattooed on his right arm and it's beautiful. It goes from his shoulder to his elbow. It's fairly easy to conceal if you have to for a job or something but it's still pretty big, so there's a lot of details.

I want to get a tattoo for a long time now! But either I'm not sure about the design (although I always know the theme), or I'm out of money, which is the case right now. :P

I know for sure that my first one will be Eternal Sailor Moon's brooch (manga version) on my upper back. Then probably something Disney-related when I recover from the pain.

"I feel like the last man left alive whose skin crawls at the sight of these crass daubings."

^ People who make such ignorant comments really irk me. That guy might think they're 'stupid scribbles' but are they being forced onto his body? No. He's not being forced to gawk at them on other people either. We're each entitled to our own opinion and what we do with our OWN bodies that we are born into is our own choice.

I feel equal measures of exasperation and sorrow for people who think every single person's choice in life is done to appease them, personally. Why they can't get off their high horse and stop being so pretentious is beyond me.

Anyways, minus the rant about the article linked to by the OP, I'm currently saving for and making little preparations for my very first tattoo. ^_^ I've recently graduated with a BA in FA Painting, and I want to get a little paint brush behind my ear in tribute. The first of many, more than probably!

• 2 weeks later...

I think tattoos are too much of a commitment. It baffles me and I find it kind of irresponsible when teenagers get tattoos. It just doesn't seem like they thought it out really well. I mean the tattoo is going to stay on you the rest of your life (unless you get it removed, which looks very painful).

Tattoos that mean something to the owner are great and I don't question, but judging from the tattoos that I've seen on teenagers that I know (and from these people's personalities), I find it hard to believe that their tattoos do anything for them besides look "cool"

I think it's wrong to judge other people if they are not hurting anybody, but I can't look the other way when I feel that someone is doing something very irresponsible. It makes me worried about what other bad choices the individual might make. It makes me question their judgment. I believe that you really have to think through big decisions such as getting a tattoo. I don't believe that because we only live once, we are allowed to make irresponsible, not well thought-out decisions. It is absolutely fine if you are getting a tattoo and you have thought it through or if the tattoo has meaning.

I do like meaningful tattoos - quotes or something that symbolizes a part of your life, etc. I personally like smaller tattoos. I do not like the big ones that cover the entire thigh, etc.

I'm down for tattoos, piercings, implants, hair dye, plastic surgery, whatever... it's not my body. If it makes someone feel better, more creative, prettier, more comfortable in their own skin, whatever... cool.

The only moment in time that annoyed me involving tattoos is when I realized people were 'forcing' meaning into their tattoos. My friend got a tattoo and then said it was in memory of someone she didn't even know. I knew this person very intimately and was very offended by this. Another guy who kinda/sorta knew this person got a giant cross tattooed 'in memory' of this person, and I couldn't stop laughing because said person 1) hated religion, especially Christianity, 2) wasn't fond of tattoos, and 3) barely spent any time at all with this guy. So, I felt it was pretty insensitive in that regard.... These two people just wanted tattoos and got random images (that meant nothing to the deceased person) and then tried to make it sound meaningful and it didn't make any sense at all. I guess the main reason it irked me was that they decided to tell anyone and everyone about it (Facebook included), and it felt like they were exploiting the death of a person they weren't close to to get attention. Kind of like, "LOOK HOW MUCH THIS PERSON MEANT TO ME!" (Not enough to actually know that person or spend time with them, though....) But yeah, this is the only time I've caught myself being quite judgemental about others' tattoos, and have tried to chill out about that as well :P I try to be as non-judgemental as possible, but still catch myself being harsh sometimes.

I also have brutal chronic depression so I would neeeever get a memorial tattoo simply for that reason. It'd make me so sad everyday.

If you get a tattoo because you love the way it looks, embrace that. You don't HAVE to have some earth shattering deep meaning behind it. It's YOUR body, for god's sake. I have one tattoo that meant a lot to me when I got it, and the other was impulsive and it's pretty random. I don't regret either one of them and it has been several years. (Actually, I kind of like the impulsive one better. Funny how that worked out.)

I think I'm a masochist because I always get tattoos in the most painful places. :P Go figure....

P.S. Making any comments to someone (you are not close to) about their appearance, in general, is a pretty bad idea. Expect to get a black eye....

As someone who has tattoos from their hand to their legs, had MULTIPLE piercings, and from a family covered in tattoos, I absolutely love them!

I believe that people spend too much time worrying about what others put on their bodies. Don't want or like tattoos? Don't get one, simple as that. I don't believe that everyone should have one either, there are people who just aren't into it.

Also, I HATE how everyone thinks that to have a tattoo you need some kind of deep, personal meaning. The only tattoo on my body I dislike (let's not use the word "regret") is the only on that has any sort of meaning to me. All my others were gotten off of a whim, including the hammer smashed face on my chest lol.

People without tattoos are no more appealing that people with tattoos and vice versa.

As with almost every issue in the world (tbh, I didn't even know this was an issue), it's simply a matter of 'get one if you want to. Don't get one if you don't want to.' I honestly don't understand the constant need to control other people's lives. Most politicians are so meddling. As everyone's been saying, it's a choice. It's ridiculous to approach whether or not you draw stuff on your body as a moral absolute.

I'm personally against them, but I don't think lesser of people just because they have a tattoo. I just personally would never want one and don't want my boyfriend to get one either.

As many people pointed out, it's mainly due to the change of mind thing. This is why I don't like people getting their SO's name tattooed on their body, whether or not it's their spouse -- no relationship is permanent. My brother and his ex-wife got matching ball and chain tattoos, and got divorced two years later.

Second, even if it's a very meaningful tattoo, ex. a deceased loved one, you still might regret permanent ink on your skin, and you definitely might regret the placement if it's hard to cover up for a professional occasion.

Basically, when someone tells me they want to get a tattoo, I ask them "Are you going to want that there in 10, 20, 50 years? When you're walking down the aisle or applying for that job you really want? Do you want to explain to your children why you got a flower tattooed on your arm"

At the end of a day, I'm not a very polarizing person. To each their own. Your body, your choice.

I'm personally against them, but I don't think lesser of people just because they have a tattoo. I just personally would never want one and don't want my boyfriend to get one either.

As many people pointed out, it's mainly due to the change of mind thing. This is why I don't like people getting their SO's name tattooed on their body, whether or not it's their spouse -- no relationship is permanent. My brother and his ex-wife got matching ball and chain tattoos, and got divorced two years later.

Second, even if it's a very meaningful tattoo, ex. a deceased loved one, you still might regret permanent ink on your skin, and you definitely might regret the placement if it's hard to cover up for a professional occasion.

Basically, when someone tells me they want to get a tattoo, I ask them "Are you going to want that there in 10, 20, 50 years? When you're walking down the aisle or applying for that job you really want? Do you want to explain to your children why you got a flower tattooed on your arm"

At the end of a day, I'm not a very polarizing person. To each their own. Your body, your choice.

I feel the same way. Younger, I was on the road to getting tattoos. Had piercings, now I wish I never got some in a few places that have since been removed. Meaningful or not I know I could possibly regret something permanent like that. That said, we have a choice and I respect people who get them just the same as people who don't.

I feel the same way. Younger, I was on the road to getting tattoos. Had piercings, now I wish I never got some in a few places that have since been removed. Meaningful or not I know I could possibly regret something permanent like that. That said, we have a choice and I respect people who get them just the same as people who don't.

Me too. I have absolutely no opinion on whether other people should get them or not, that's their choice. Some are cool and people don't regret them. I just know that I would personally get bored if it after a while, since I'm used to drawing on myself anyway.

Rebecca pretty much summed up what I was going to say about tattoos. I, myself want one, and hope to get one soon. I know what I want, where I want it, and why I want it. I plan on getting a small simple, plain purple heart on my upper back on the right side near my shoulder. There are several reasons for this, one of them being is that my mother had a heart tattoo there, and I want one similar to hers to honor her memory. The most important reason I want it is because i feel like I have EARNED my purple heart. My entire life has been a literal battlefield, physically, emotionally, spiritually, and I've been wounded beyond comprehension, but I still got up and still fought the good fight. To this day, and until the day I die, I'll be fighting, but I feel like that heart would be my symbol of strength and conviction no matter what happens.

It's a tattoo I want for ME that symbolizes a heart's shape, of its no beginning nor end, and the fact that its presence ensures me that I will always have a solid heart filled with love on my side, even if the heart in my chest is broken. I've thought long and hard about the statement I want on my body, and nobody else's opinion really matters. It's my body, my choice. Tony Parsons should do his research before he opens his mouth or before he spews vile about a subject he is ignorant about behind a computer screen with his fingers.

Rebecca pretty much summed up what I was going to say about tattoos. I, myself want one, and hope to get one soon. I know what I want, where I want it, and why I want it. I plan on getting a small simple, plain purple heart on my upper back on the right side near my shoulder. There are several reasons for this, one of them being is that my mother had a heart tattoo there, and I want one similar to hers to honor her memory. The most important reason I want it is because i feel like I have EARNED my purple heart. My entire life has been a literal battlefield, physically, emotionally, spiritually, and I've been wounded beyond comprehension, but I still got up and still fought the good fight. To this day, and until the day I die, I'll be fighting, but I feel like that heart would be my symbol of strength and conviction no matter what happens.

It's a tattoo I want for ME that symbolizes a heart's shape, of its no beginning nor end, and the fact that its presence ensures me that I will always have a solid heart filled with love on my side, even if the heart in my chest is broken. I've thought long and hard about the statement I want on my body, and nobody else's opinion really matters. It's my body, my choice. Tony Parsons should do his research before he opens his mouth or before he spews vile about a subject he is ignorant about behind a computer screen with his fingers.

Bravo. That's exactly how it should be. It's no one's right to tell you what to do with your body EVER. Whether that means denying access to contraception or abortion, telling people how to cut their hair, or what to wear. If you want to have a heart on your back, you damn well get a heart on your back. It's no one's business but your own.

This is exactly why I don't believe in policing people and making a blanket statement that tattoos are a bad idea. You know exactly what you want and why you want it, so kudos to you and go for it.

Other people are merely teenagers getting permanent ink tattooed on because they think it's cool. I know a friend of mine in high school who was slightly air-headed (on purpose) and she got a huge, colored, detailed koi fish covering her whole left shoulder blade. She really didn't have a reason for it, and she was in a stage of her life where she just wanted to fit in, even if that meant dumbing herself down or changing her body permanently. Needless to say, only 2 years later, she regrets it.

As with almost all debatable topics, I have my stance -- but I don't believe in making blanket statements. You never know someone else's whole story, so you shouldn't be able to make decisions for them.