So TNT has confirmed it

jingfah

In the latest editorial TNT has confirmed that sending only the minimum score in each game DOES hurt your team.

And one final myth I want to bust while we're on the subject – sending the minimum score in each game the maximum number of times can and does actually hurt your team. Yes, sending more scores is better than sending none, but it can actually make it much harder for your team to win if all that's being sent is the minimum score.

So. I guess team members have to decide what is more important to them: their personal rank, or the team rank.

(I also guess this means I'm going to stop playing SS for the minimum score whoops)

I don't really know how the scoring for points (personal or for the team) works, so for me it's always been a matter of doing however best I can during that instance of the game. If that means I get a lower score in YYB (Just had a score of 8 due to a darigan Yooyu), then that's my score for that game. If it's 16 (had my first 16 of this year's of those tonight) then that's my score for that game. I like the challenge and trying to see how far I can go. I'm glad to know that skill and working to improve are both things that can be worthwhile. Now, if I could just increase how much I play. I don't play as much as I probably SHOULD during the AC, YYB gets pretty monotonous after awhile. LOL Breaks are advised. lol ;)

Anyway, thanks for posting about the clarification from TNT! I never seem to be able to keep track of when the NTs comes out. But the editorials can be really interesting. :)

All that being said, best of luck with your AC endeavors! :)

Given that you can play on bye days for rank points, I don't think that "my interests" and "team interests" is an either/or type of situation.

I always play for Moltara. Moltara is almost always dead last, or near it (except when a cheating group all joined Moltara). I play for myself far more than the team.

this is true when it comes to YYB - sending 1 goal hurts the team when most people play full games - to 10 or more goals .. 

but in side games most people send the minimum score or a bit more .. imagine if you played MSN to 7000 points or SLS to 600 points .. it'll take FOREVER to make any progress and u can go crazy in the process ....

Sorry, what is this minimum score thing you're all talking about?  I think I saw something about that in my initial reading and I'll go back and try to find it but, at the time, I was probably a bit too overwhelmed with the simple mechanics of how this all worked to even worry about anything more intricate.  I'm a new player and not very good at that.  Does this mean that I'm actually hurting my team by sending in my scores?  Because that, quite frankly, is ridiculous!  How discouraging!! 

EDIT: So I went and had a read of the AC guide on here from last year and I found the info about minimum scores for the three other games, but what is the minimum score for YYB?

Edited by nicolelouise

Sorry, what is this minimum score thing you're all talking about?  I think I saw something about that in my initial reading and I'll go back and try to find it but, at the time, I was probably a bit too overwhelmed with the simple mechanics of how this all worked to even worry about anything more intricate.  I'm a new player and not very good at that.  Does this mean that I'm actually hurting my team by sending in my scores?  Because that, quite frankly, is ridiculous!  How discouraging!! 

EDIT: So I went and had a read of the AC guide on here from last year and I found the info about minimum scores for the three other games, but what is the minimum score for YYB?

For YYB you just have to finish the game (I would imagine, as Hannah said, a win or a draw works perfectly well - probably even a loss, honestly. From what I can tell, your contribution to your team is the number of goals YOU score, not what the actual outcome of the match is), but there are people who will score only one goal and waste away the rest of the game time in order to put forth the least amount of effort, and that hurts their team's overall score. 

this is true when it comes to YYB - sending 1 goal hurts the team when most people play full games - to 10 or more goals .. 

but in side games most people send the minimum score or a bit more .. imagine if you played MSN to 7000 points or SLS to 600 points .. it'll take FOREVER to make any progress and u can go crazy in the process ....

I actually have been sending in scores on SS that are around 600. I've been trying for ~10 a day, but I occasionally get sick of it and abandon that.

I admit I'm not terribly good at math, but when TNT talks about how the team scores are factored, it sounds more like everyone's scores for the day are averaged against how many team members participated. So if the scores are being averaged, it would still be more beneficial to send in fewer higher scores than more low scores.

The problem you run into when you're a hardcore player like me is that you don't have enough time or sanity to fully maximize your score.

For example, look at Slushie Slinger. I timed how long it takes to cap the minimum score needed on every game, and it took nearly 4 hours! That was without breaks! That can make it hard to get everything done if you are spending an extra minute on each run of Slushie Slinger. At that point it would take about 6 hours just for me to finish Slushie Slinger. Now, I love supporting my team, but if I had to fully maximize all of my scores on all of the games I wouldn't bother playing at all. Couldn't you agree that it's more detrimental to not play at all?

When I am playing Yooyuball I always try to do my best because it is a timed match. I can't end it early. I really like to try my best there because it is more exciting gameplay than the side games.

Some people say why don't I maximize Shootout Showdown, and that it only takes an extra 5-10 seconds. Well when someone like me who caps the games has to play 401 matches, that can take an extra hour or longer. Some people like me just don't have time to do that. I understand it would help the team more, but I just can't be asked.

As for Make Some Noise, imagine tapping two keys as fast as you can for over 3 hours. That game is just not worth it for me. It isn't even worth maxing for me. I won't put my myself in actual physical pain just for the slight benefit of my team.

For YYB you just have to finish the game (I would imagine, as Hannah said, a win or a draw works perfectly well - probably even a loss, honestly. From what I can tell, your contribution to your team is the number of goals YOU score, not what the actual outcome of the match is), but there are people who will score only one goal and waste away the rest of the game time in order to put forth the least amount of effort, and that hurts their team's overall score. 

I actually have been sending in scores on SS that are around 600. I've been trying for ~10 a day, but I occasionally get sick of it and abandon that.

I admit I'm not terribly good at math, but when TNT talks about how the team scores are factored, it sounds more like everyone's scores for the day are averaged against how many team members participated. So if the scores are being averaged, it would still be more beneficial to send in fewer higher scores than more low scores.

OH!  I think I understand now.  My mind is boggling a little bit here.  I'm not going to be sending a million scores in a day because I just can't muster up enough enthusiasm to play the same game over and over and over, however, each game I play, I play the whole thing to the best of my ability. 

Being new, I don't usually score more than six goals a game, often less.  I'm still going to submit that, because if I waited until I was scoring hugely, I'd never send a score.  On the other hand, I can't see the point of sitting there after scoring just one goal and effectively playing keep it off for the rest of the time period.  Why would I bother? 

Is this what you were talking about with regards the personal rankings vs the team rankings?  Why wouldn't you just keep actively playing and trying to score more goals?  Your personal ranking goes up and the team ranking goes up, right? 

How does one even manage to keep the ball from the other team for the remaining time period in order to just 'waste the time away'?  If I was good enough to do that, I'd be scoring a lot more goals!

OH!  I think I understand now.  My mind is boggling a little bit here.  I'm not going to be sending a million scores in a day because I just can't muster up enough enthusiasm to play the same game over and over and over, however, each game I play, I play the whole thing to the best of my ability. 

Being new, I don't usually score more than six goals a game, often less.  I'm still going to submit that, because if I waited until I was scoring hugely, I'd never send a score.  On the other hand, I can't see the point of sitting there after scoring just one goal and effectively playing keep it off for the rest of the time period.  Why would I bother? 

Is this what you were talking about with regards the personal rankings vs the team rankings?  Why wouldn't you just keep actively playing and trying to score more goals?  Your personal ranking goes up and the team ranking goes up, right? 

How does one even manage to keep the ball from the other team for the remaining time period in order to just 'waste the time away'?  If I was good enough to do that, I'd be scoring a lot more goals!

It's okay, I'm completely new to AC too! I've been off and on NP for ~14 years or so now, but this is my first AC so I've been working hard to learn all the things.

But yes, this is what I'm talking about for personal vs team rankings. On the AC home page it shows your personal rank with a shield:

22ba0eaa2d.png

So if you click on that shield, it'll tell you how many games you need to play to hit the next rank (there are 20 ranks in total, All Star being the final one and most people's goal). So your personal rank is determined by the number of games you play, not by the scores you submit for the games

46327ab161.png

So if I play 8 more games of yooyuball, I'll be rank 11! (or 96 games of SOSD/MSN, or 16 games of SS, or any combination of the four)

In order to hit All Star faster, people are playing the max number of games per day. But playing 46 games of YYB, 401 games each of MSN and SOSD, and 86 games of SS already takes a long time if you're only sending in the minimum score. So these players will send in the lowest score they can (SS: 270, MSN: 3000, SOSD: 35) in order to cap each game as quickly as possible.

Which hurts your overall team's performance. Thus: personal rank vs team rank!

It's okay, I'm completely new to AC too! I've been off and on NP for ~14 years or so now, but this is my first AC so I've been working hard to learn all the things.

But yes, this is what I'm talking about for personal vs team rankings. On the AC home page it shows your personal rank with a shield:

22ba0eaa2d.png

So if you click on that shield, it'll tell you how many games you need to play to hit the next rank (there are 20 ranks in total, All Star being the final one and most people's goal). So your personal rank is determined by the number of games you play, not by the scores you submit for the games

46327ab161.png

So if I play 8 more games of yooyuball, I'll be rank 11! (or 96 games of SOSD/MSN, or 16 games of SS, or any combination of the four)

In order to hit All Star faster, people are playing the max number of games per day. But playing 46 games of YYB, 401 games each of MSN and SOSD, and 86 games of SS already takes a long time if you're only sending in the minimum score. So these players will send in the lowest score they can (SS: 270, MSN: 3000, SOSD: 35) in order to cap each game as quickly as possible.

Which hurts your overall team's performance. Thus: personal rank vs team rank!

I take it then that there is some benefit to having a high personal ranking even if your team loses the cup?  Beyond just having a high rank that is?  Some extra goodie in the prize shop or something?

Also, thank you for mentioning that bit about 'on the AC homepage' because I was looking at my stats on the side of the game pages and couldn't see that rank banner at all. Found it now!

I take it then that there is some benefit to having a high personal ranking even if your team loses the cup?  Beyond just having a high rank that is?  Some extra goodie in the prize shop or something?

From what I've read it looks like you get more prize points for you to spend in the prize shop that opens up at the end of the tournament (but I'm not 100% certain, since I've never done this before).

From what I've read it looks like you get more prize points for you to spend in the prize shop that opens up at the end of the tournament (but I'm not 100% certain, since I've never done this before).

Indeed, that is how it works. I'm not exactly sure how the points are distributed between the games, but you get shop points for every game you send that reaches the minimum score or higher.

I also believe that it's better for your team if you play more of one game. For example, playing only 1 game of YYB could actually hurt your team's overall performance. This is why I avoid MSN and SS altogether. I know I can't stand to play them very much.

The higher your personal rank is, the more points you get for the prize shop at the end. Team ranking has absolutely nothing to do with the prize shop (which is why some people play only for themselves, not their team--they may hurt their team but they help themselves). At the end, you'll be awarded a certain amount of points based on the amount of games that you played, and there will be prizes worth certain amounts of points. You can then use your points to "buy" prizes. The prizes are available until around the time the next AC is announced.

So if you click on that shield, it'll tell you how many games you need to play to hit the next rank

WOAH! I didn't know this! *brain explodes*

What benefit do you get if your team wins? Which sounds like a terribly selfish thing to say...I'm just wondering, because you get a gold trophy by reaching the All Star rank. And it's quicker to reach All Star by sending in minimum scores...

Honestly, it's just a different (special) trophy design than everyone else (or, that's what I gather from past reports).

I'm personally really competitive though, so I definitely want my team to win. 

What benefit do you get if your team wins? Which sounds like a terribly selfish thing to say...I'm just wondering, because you get a gold trophy by reaching the All Star rank. And it's quicker to reach All Star by sending in minimum scores...

I don't want to sound critical of anybody who chooses to reach All Star by sending in minimum scores, but I don't think I could be happy with a trophy that I got by essentially fooling the system and not actually putting my all into each game I play.  There would be no value in it to me because I wouldn't feel like I'd really earned it.