Help jelly make the most of Neo <3

jellysundae

You guys are so nice, so I'm gonna turn to you for advice about the best games for me to play, as I'm not as functional as I used to be, and trying them all to see what ones I can manage now daunts me :* So here's my issue, I have MS and that's affected me both mentally and physically, I signed up for Neo again because I can't work any more, nor can I get out and about, so I'm looking for more to keep me occupied during the day as I visit very few sites (I'm not good at learning new things now). Neo is good because games are brain food, and it's a site I already know so learning all about somewhere new is a non-issue.

My processing speeds are a lot slower than the average person's now, I'm like some old CPU that's full of bugs >< My reaction ability is much less because of that, and what's there is slower, and my dexterity's not the best either. These are things I've learnt in my time back on Neo:

• Timers are not my friend, sometimes I can manage timed games if what I have to do doesn't involve too many different things, but if there's several things to keep an eye on (Freaky factory for example) I've got no chance.
  • Really, any games where there's several things to keep an eye on are likely to be more than I can manage.
  • Games that use the arrow keys and space bar are generally beyond my co-ordination skills.
  • Things that require clicking accuracy are difficult if that's combined with speed.

I think the reason I play Spellseeker so consistently is because I can go completely at my own pace with that, there's nothing about it that sends my brain into x_x mode. I used to love Word Pyramid, but I struggle with that now because while I might manage ok at the start, after a minute or so brain just doesn't want to know any more and gives up, so I just sit there watching the time run out. That happens with a lot of games; brain shuts down and I just sit there and watch myself die >< One "benefit" of the MS, I guess, is that smothering of my reaction ability, because instead of just ragequitting when I die repeatedly, I just shrug and do something else.

So yeah, my list of playable games isn't going to be very big, is it <.< >.> Which I why I'm hoping you guys can suggest some that you think I should try out <3

Spellseeker is one of my favourite games! I tend to panic when I play most timed games, haha.

I think perhaps Kou Jong would be a good game for you, especially if you're familiar with Mahjong puzzles. There's a time bonus, but it's not really a timed game (you just get more points if you're quick, but you won't lose if you're slow) and you only need your mouse. Try playing in "easy" first, and see what you think!

Here's a few other non-timed/mouse only games that might work: Dueling Decks, Chemistry for Beginners, Escape to Kreludor, Snot Splatter...

Let me know if any of these work for you!

I originally joined Neopets 12 years ago simply because I wanted a website with card games... so things like Scarab 21, Sakhmet Solitaire and Pyramids are still some of my fave games! I agree with the suggestion of Kou Jong and Dueling Decks (play on hard and lose every 5 or 6 turns to pull in a really high score!). You should also try Cheat!, Cellblock and Gormball :)

I totally agree with all the games listed above. I was going to recommend the card games (I'm especially fond of Pyramids)...but I was beaten to the punch! :D

There is a game, I forget the name though, that is like a board game. You are two figures and you roll and then decide which figure to move along the squares. I will see if I can figure it out and the update this reply.

I find Escape to Kreludor to be almost hypnotic. /grin

I've never played Dueling Decks...I will have to check it out.

In the reply above, Zen mode is mentioned. I'd guess that any game that has a Zen mode might be a good option?

Have fun deciding which new games are a fit for you...

Cheers!

:P

There is a game, I forget the name though, that is like a board game. You are two figures and you roll and then decide which figure to move along the squares. I will see if I can figure it out and the update this reply.

I think you're referring to Desert Race? It's a variation of Goose Game.

I went looking through the games for you and, besides the already mentioned games, I also think Dice of Destiny might be an option.

Another thing I do to keep me occupied is play Neoquest and Neoquest II.

I think a lot of the non-flash games are good! Things like solitaire, pyramids, cheat, neggsweeper, etc.

Time Tunnel (equivalent to the "real world" game Mastermind) is like kou-jong in that there's a time bonus, but running out of time doesn't lose you the game. :)

There's also a few things that are a longer commitment or aren't typical games, but still fun things to do:

• Don't forget about dailies - some of them offer a bit of a challenge, such as the Negg Cave or Faerie Crossword.
  • Neoquest I and II - you can search for guides online. You go at your own pace and earn NP each time you level up, plus a trophy at the end!
  • Plushie Tycoon - again, lots of guides out there!
  • Contests - but if you love writing or art, or want to learn to code, these are a good option!

Yeah, I was planning to say Snot Splatter as well, but was beaten to the punch as well. There's also loads of non-flash games, like Cheat, Pyramids, Sakhmet Solitaire, Poker and of course Neoquest I and II, so maybe give those a try.

Lots of people to respond to, thanks guys :D Let's do some answering!

These ones I already play:

Pyramids

Sakhmet Solitaire

kou-jong

Everyone who mentioned Snot Splatter, thanks for that! I don't think I'd ever have tried it without a recommendation and you're all so right, it's just right for me :D No stress involved, and I can learn how to play it better too. Anything that there's a bit of thinking to do better, but not enough to make your head hurt, is ideal.

Time Tunnel xD I used to be very good at that game, because I'd always been very good at Mastermind, I used to make myself play it occasionally to try and get the avatar, but I never succeeded because I really can't stand it, it bores me to death, so I'd always reach my tolerance limit before I got the avatar >< Now though, I can't play it at all, because my brain can't understand it, it just can't make sense if it. See how I talk about my brain like it's a seperate entity now...it's a coping mechanism I guess, pretending it's nothing to do with me <.< >.>

Desert Race! I used to play that, and liked it, but I couldn't remember what it was called, and hadn't got enough brain cells together to sensibly try and find out where it was, so thank you very much for saying the name!

Neoquest/II I've played both before, and have started on the first one again, but because of its slightly tedious nature it doesn't hold my concertration for very long, those are definitely ones that I can do though, even if it's not for that long. :)

Cheat There's another that I can play, but only for a short while, for some reason it starts to stress me out after a while. Maybe it's because of repeatedly nearly emptying your hand, only to get a load of extra cards dumped on you. Seems brain can't deal with that too well!

Neggsweeper That's another that I used to be excellent at, but my brain struggles with now. I can still play it, but it requires an amount of thinking that's way above what you guys would need. I play it on hard because it's boring otherwise, but I end up having a lot of *head/desk* moments because I do really dumb things and frustrate me ><

Destruct-o-match That's another that mildly stresses me out, for reasons that I can't fathom.

Hmm, I've run out of brainpower for saying more about individual games >< But there's a bit of a pattern here isn't there. A lot of the games make me anxious, though I tend to not be able to pinpoint why. I'll often just play one round of a game then flee because I can't face the other two. I'll definitely try out the others that you guys have suggested though, even Plushie Tycoon maybe, though I very strongly suspect that that will be too complicated for me :*

Thank you, and keep the suggestions coming!

I agree with Kou Jong and Destruct-O-Match (I find the sound distressing!), but I am not familiar with the others and will have to check those out now!

You might also consider:

Cell Block (Kiquin's pet page has the best strategy ... and you use the same strategy FOREVER! ... no time limit at all)

http://www.neopets.com/~Kiquin

Catch the PetPet (find a petpet hidden among other petpets)

Petpet Pair-Up (memory card game)

Sorcerer's Skirmish (sort-of like chess)

Shenkuu Tangram (tangrams ... there is a timer I think)

Defender Trainer (pick the correct answer to Neopets trivia, but there is a time element) <----- I find this game distressing, actually

If you're looking to make a lot of NP, I recommend Food Club. It can be pretty complicated to make your own bets (at least to win in the long-term), but there are a number of players who win regularly (my long-term average is ~90% net profit, so I nearly double my money each day, on average -- no small change for me since I can bet over 90k per day) and post their bets on their petpages (I don't do this because I'm lazy...). Hugo (petpage = myfoodclubbets) is a popular bettor that many people follow, and he has links to guides and other bettors. It doesn't take much time if you're copying bets, but it's a nice way to make NP, which can make the rest of the site more fun. There is some volatility (you might lose it all 3 days in a row before winning 10x your bets on the 4th day), but you can always start with small bets and increase them as you grow comfortable. (Give it at least 2 weeks...)

You might also like the monthly competition games (Armada, Geos, and Kacheekers), Ultimate Bullseye 2, Chemistry for Beginners, Coal War Tactics (Battleship -- there is a time bonus, but you can ignore it), Dice-a-Roo, Eye of the Storm (I think there are ways to play untimed), faerie bubbles, fashion fever, godori (a bit complicated to learn the scoring, but I do better when I try to get as many cards as possible rather than aim for particular types of cards), Neopian Battlefield legend (you can pause it, which would give you time to stop and think where you want to place things, but it can get a little stressful... just throwing it out there as a possibility), pakiko, spinacles (you can stay on the early rounds for a long time by nearly clearing the sphere, then building it back up again, and then nearly clearing it again; I play it when I'm in the same mood as Spellseeker), wingoball (not too bad with a guide, though there is a time limit -- but you can get set up before the time even starts).

Godori's a game I used to play before :yes: I loved it so I started playing it again and it confused me massively xDD But I stuck with it and it started to make sense again. I actually stopped playing it because it was very glitchy. I did take a screenshot and was going to report the problem, but the ticket never went through, just sat there loading for eternity, so I gave up <.< >.>

4LWx4zz.png

This is what it was doing, stacking cards on the wrong piles, Shenkuu put on top of a Meridell one there, I think. If I remember I'll try it today and see if the glitch is one of the ones that's been fixed :D

Spinacles is one I started playing, then started avoiding. Another I'm not really sure why though, I think the stressy feeling starts rearing its head once I'm close to dying, but I should play it at least once each time before giving up, shouldn't I <.< >.>

Really, it seems I just need to fight habit and try more different games. Though with me it's more than just habit, part of my brain bork is something called executive dysfunction, this is what's really messed my head up to be honest, because your executive brain processes are what govern everything else D: and one of the many things this does is make you "stick" on things. Not exact fixate over things, rather preventing you from being able to see past things/move on as it were, so if I'm not careful I never try things, because brain doesn't let that thought enter my head. This is why it's so useful to me to have people suggest other games =3

I shall def try Godori again today :yes:

That glitch in Godori is caused by your cache, I think -- that card was cleared (it's in your pet's far right stack), but it's still showing up. That can be problematic if you play a card thinking you're matching and give your opponent the match instead (since the card is not really there...). I sometimes try to refresh, but that can cause problems, too... I don't know if you can leave a game and come back.

I agree that the later levels of Spinacles can be stressful; that's why I recommended staying on the earlier levels for a long time. (You can even get up to a gold trophy if you're willing to spend enough time.) That way, when you get to the hard levels, you'll know you have a high enough score for the max NP and don't need to stress about dying.

I second snot splatter as well as sakhmet solitaire and pyramids.

I would say Kiko Match but that requires memory especially later on it can get stressful.

Snowmuncher has a time limit but it's not very fast especially in the first two levels if you're looking to just gain straight up NP. I usually will play it when I've taken my pain meds which lowers my reaction time and such. You have to dodge snow wurms but it's not a race to do so since they're so slow and you can always just munch to squish them with any blocks that are above it.

Sutek's Tomb is similar to spellseeker but is also timed. You just match up the symbols and stuff. If you play things like Bejeweled then it's the same concept.

There's also Ultimate Bullseye but I'm not sure if that would be taxing or not on your brain to line things up. Same with Tyrannian Mini Golf.

If in doubt, go to the card games. lol

That's annoying if it's my computer causing the godori problem >8( I've had the odd totally ridiculous caching issues in the past elsewhere >.> But not for a while so I'd forgotten that it likes to do this occasionally, oh well!

Yeah kiko match wouldn't be a good option, petpet pair-up stresses me out >< and kiko match is...bigger, isn't it. My short term memory is the most broken part of my brain. I did all these tests with a neuropsychologist and those showed my short term memory's down to about 10% efficiency :rolleyes_anim:

I'll check snowmuncher out then =3 I do play sutek, I never manage to get very far on it now but because I used to play it a lot on my old account I know it, so my brain can deal with it better. :) Actually, the sutek avatar was the first one I even got on my jellysundae account, what a random thing to remember!

I like ultimate bullseye, but yeah, I find I don't have the focus for lining things up and learning the best trajectory and all that.

For a lot of the games, I think I need to just learn that I generally can't manage them on the hard levels that I always played them on before. I need to dial down to medium, or even easy on things like neggsweeper. I did manage kou-jong yesterday on medium. I probably would have managed it on hard, eventually...but I got tired of resetting and gave up. :*

Fortunately the great thing about neopets is the wide variety of games to play. There's going to be at least one that someone, anyone, can play no matter age, skill, or internet connection. It just may take some trial and error or sheer perseverance to find the ones that are just right for you to play. :)

And never worry about the difficulty level you have to play at! If you have to play on easy, then do it. No sense playing a game on a harder difficulty if it's too hard and you get discouraged trying to play it at that level. Playing games is supposed to be fun, not frustrating.

I think a lot of it is...how to word...it's like I have two brains almost; the 50% that still works just fine, and the other half that damaged to varying degrees, and I have to try and accommodate both. Broken brain can do the easy levels of games, but working brain finds them boring ><

Thanks =3 But yeah, it can be really difficult to deal with, not gonna lie. I do try to keep positive, but I don't always succeed :* In a way the MS has done me a favour in that respect, because of the way it's smothered my ability to react, I think if I could feel emotion to the level that I used to be able to I'd not be in a very happy place now (wow, that's euphemistic).

Sometimes it feels like if only there was a difficulty between the two you would choose from because the easy is too easy but the hard is well, too hard. I understand completely. (or, easy and medium or medium to hard as it were)

Yeah, Neo should be able to tailor a game's difficulty to your personal requirements, that would be a totally simple bit of coding for them, right? ;D I'll not suggest that to them xD

Today I shall try Neggsweeper on medium and see how I go. Or maybe I should just cut brain some slack and play it on easy. I always played it on hard before, but rarely ever managed to complete it as it nearly always gets to a bit where you're forced to blindly choose, doesn't it. So playing it on easy will actually net me some NP on that for a change. xD

I played Godori last night, my pet beat me on his final move >.> Well no, it wasn't even his final move, it was the last card from the deck, netted him a nice bonus from the flags. But then he might not have done that if I'd been able to play more strategically, sometimes I can see what would be a good move, other times I can't, so it's pretty hit or miss there.