Some of these colored neopets are so poorly done

happybox22

Let's be honest here.

2.png is no substitute for 2.png

Now, mutants and maraquan are special among converted pets because their poses are not restricted to be able to wear clothes. Honestly, I think Faerie, Wraith, and Darigan should also not be restricted to the poses that were drawn for standard red/blue pets. (Heaven knows, my wraith krawk already does not fit clothes without poking through in places. They may as well have given him a whole fresh pose and be done with it.)

Because really, it's the restriction that makes the art dull. For special colours, it would be great if the poses could take a sideline.

Yeah I'm pretty sad with what they've done with the petri, don't get me wrong I'll still paint my upcoming petri faerie but it is really off putting to see it so restricted in way like so just so TNT can try to sway me to buy NC.

It's not restricted just because of NC. It's restricted because they instituted customization- something the user base requested for YEARS before they finally did it. I'm sure NC helped them believe that the cost was worthwhile (because really, how much time went into redrawing EVERY PET), but it's not like they did this random thing that no one wanted and just sneakily cackled, "heh heh heh, now they must pay us for clothing for their pets!"

Especially since you don't HAVE to customize your pet at all, and there are lots of beautiful NP clothing. I use almost exclusively NP, and I have had no problems with customizing any of my pets.

I was going to point out the Mutant pets. I think it can have to do with when the color for that specific pet comes out, and who the artist is. Mutant Lutaris and Chombies are far more recent than, say, the Mutant Xweetok.

The Lutari is stunning, as are these: 4.png4.png

while the these, to me, are just not exciting.

4.png4.png

Once again, to each their own.

And I do agree with the bit about customization. Some of the more "bland" colors can be customized beautifully, playing off of the quirks that are specific to that color. I love my Faerie Kacheek's wings, even if the overall color isn't my favorite.

I like most of the older Mutants, they were simple but got across what they needed to get across. The Lenny, Lupe (not the UC one, the converted looks nicer), Ixi, Gelert, Skeith, Mynci...those are amazing designs. I like the Mutant Acara...but I think it would be better suited as a whole different color...some sorta space demon. It doesn't look "mutant." As for the Poogle, it's awful. Looks like some sort of rock demon, and there's too much going on. Just because you slap a bunch of detail on something doesn't make it good. It doesn't have much depth to it. The Acara is much more simple and more pleasing to look at. In design, it's better to have a balance of detail and negative space for something that's more pleasing to the eye. That Poogle barely has any negative space where the eye can "rest." Wayyyy too busy.

Some of the newer Mutants are awesome though, like the Chomby. The Lutari is nice too but I think the shading is a little too much. But I think a lot of the newer ones go a little too overboard.

That's why some Maractite pets look better than others.

These are way too busy and look terrible:

4.png4.png4.png

I dunno what's going on with that Cybunny. The shading is so off and the head looks pasted on. The Kougra missed out on something creative, the artist should've made the stripes into the Maractite swirls instead of pasting the swirls over the stripes. Missed opportunity.

You can barely see the Skeith's arms.

Compared to a lot nicer looking Maractites:

4.png4.png4.png4.png

Not nearly as busy, you can still make out the parts on the Neopet, and a nice balance of the darker base shade to the lighter swirls.

That's why I wish some of the TNT artists would stop thinking that an overload of detail = good, because it really doesn't.

It's not restricted just because of NC. It's restricted because they instituted customization- something the user base requested for YEARS before they finally did it. I'm sure NC helped them believe that the cost was worthwhile (because really, how much time went into redrawing EVERY PET), but it's not like they did this random thing that no one wanted and just sneakily cackled, "heh heh heh, now they must pay us for clothing for their pets!"

Especially since you don't HAVE to customize your pet at all, and there are lots of beautiful NP clothing. I use almost exclusively NP, and I have had no problems with customizing any of my pets.

If they did this for the user base(something I hardly see based on what I saw from TNT aka their NC system), then shouldn't they be giving us an option whether to convert or uncovert our pets? Some of us might actually not like the new changes and want some of their pets be uncoverted.

I am aware that there is NP items for customization but that doesn't make everything better the fact they took away some of the beautiful art works that the old Neopet staff had AKA the faerie petri. I feel like this whole thing is, okay we changed your pet to customization, hehehe you'll eventually want to buy NC with all the advertisements and NP clothes that we give out, why stick with the boring NP items when you could have fancy NC items with ridiculous trading system?

Not going to derail thread but this is my opinion 0_0.

If they did this for the user base(something I hardly see based on what I saw from TNT aka their NC system), then shouldn't they be giving us an option whether to convert or uncovert our pets? Some of us might actually not like the new changes and want some of their pets be uncoverted.

Hmm, they actually did that, when they first implemented customization. That's why you can still see unconverted pets around.

Anyways, I see the same problem with Woodland. Some are plain, cute but nothing out of the ordinary:

2.png2.png(okay, a piece of carved wood with some leaves, we get it.)

Others have a very nice touch of originality:

2.png2.png2.png(that Koi with water plants, gotta love it)

And others are just... weird, in my opinion. Like they were trying to be different, but it didn't work out very well:

2.png2.png2.png (are those Christmas thingies hanging from Shoyru's wings?)

So we're saying some pets are drawn in specific colours better than others? My my, aren't we breaking new ground today :P

It is a little strange that the style new pets are drawn appears to be slowly changing, esp. with the mutants. Maybe there's a new art director on board? Not that TNT would ever do something so open as have a staff credits page. But regardless, the way these new mutants are coming out makes it look like the person in charge does not appreciate customisation and whenever they get to direct a pet outside of those confines they go crazy!

i with water plants, gotta love it)

And others are just... weird, in my opinion. Like they were trying to be different, but it didn't work out very well:

2.png2.png2.png (are those Christmas thingies hanging from Shoyru's wings?)

You don't have lilac bushes (I assume that is what it is modeled after), birch trees or thistles in your country?!

I think they're a lot like what they are inspired by :D

TNT specifically said the reason why they kept a few pets with the option of being converted is because the art was COMPLETELY different. A lot of the re-designs for the pets are the same colours/patterns, just with a standardized pose. Personally, I wish they had just converted everything so it would stop being an issue. I love being able to customize my pets (as do a ton of people. TNT converted the pets to include a feature users asked for) because I can make them as different and unique as I want to. Before, every coloured pet of the same species looked exactly the same. Now, you can have 500 Faerie Bruces, and each of them can look completely different. I agree some of the colour art isn't how I would do it myself, but if I don't like a colour, I'll simply choose another colour. If I want to look at the old art, I'll make it into a desktop background or something.

As for the hate on NC, remember Neopets needs to make money to pay for site upkeep. Their main sources of income come from Premium, Neocash, and the few ads around the site (which in themselves are far fewer than on a lot of free online games). Since NC is NEVER necessary to play the game and is only for extras that you DO NOT have to buy, they're not trying to "force" us into anything. Yes, the NC items can be better looking at times, but if I'm paying real money, I want my items to be a little nicer. Why would I pay for things when I could get them for free? There has to be some draw to create a demand. It's like that with every single online game that offers free and paying options, and Neopets has far less of a divide between the two than any other game site I've used.

You don't have lilac bushes (I assume that is what it is modeled after), birch trees or thistles in your country?!

I think they're a lot like what they are inspired by :D

Actually, now that you mentioned them, I googled them and... no, we don't! They're all from the northern hemisphere :P But the designs make more sense to me now, thanks! I actually liked the Wocky now that I know what they were based on, but I still dislike the others...

Let's be honest here.

2.png is no substitute for 2.png

Now, mutants and maraquan are special among converted pets because their poses are not restricted to be able to wear clothes. Honestly, I think Faerie, Wraith, and Darigan should also not be restricted to the poses that were drawn for standard red/blue pets. (Heaven knows, my wraith krawk already does not fit clothes without poking through in places. They may as well have given him a whole fresh pose and be done with it.)

Because really, it's the restriction that makes the art dull. For special colours, it would be great if the poses could take a sideline.

THANK YOU. You know how long I've thought that for? The EXACT same thing? It's good to know someone else thinks the same. I absolutely loved the UC faeries, especially the pteri. Conversion ruined some of the darigans, And the wraiths, I don't personally have one, but I could see how the poking would be a problem. I agree with you about all that, 100% xD

Yeah... The old poses looked so much better for some colors. I can understand why they changed it, but doesn't change the fact that they just had better poses.

The old Grey Pets really made me wanna hug and love them! :( I especially loved the Eyrie:

eyrie_grey_baby.gif

The new ones are... meh.

One of the BIGGEST frustrations of mine on Neopets, however, was what they did to my Gelert. I remember the day I opened the News page and saw that Gelerts could now be painted Halloween. I remember like it was yesterday. Since that day, I KNEW my Gelert was MEANT to be Halloween. I saved and saved my np until I finally managed to buy a Halloween PB and turned him into this glorious thing:

gelert_halloween_baby.gif Scary, awesome, mean-looking. EPIC.

Only to have him, several years later, be changed into this pathetic thing:

2.png

I never painted him again because he represents my loyalty to Haunted Woods in the AC. But all his awesomeness is gone forever. :(

So, imo,

Huge variation in quality of the Desert pets...
http://www.neocolours.me.uk/viewpet.php?colour=desert&species=all&pose=happy+male

like, the desert Chia is just boring compared to, say the Peophin - and they are both very old desert pets. The newer desert ones have some better costumes than the older ones, but most of them are pretty cool. Except the poor Chia.

Also, the Halloween pets...

http://www.neocolours.me.uk/viewpet.php?colour=halloween&species=all&pose=happy+male

Some, like the Uni/Nightmare and Yurble/Tax Beast, are clever and unique, while the Shoyru is pretty much just a red shoyru in a red suit - not very exciting.

I think the Halloween Shoyru is an exception though. I wouldn't say it's poorly done, I would just say the artists were very restricted with how to handle the Halloween Shoyru post-conversion. Even though it is just a red shoyru in a suit, when it was first designed I thought it was very well done and was one of my favourite pets for the longest time - mainly because of it's pose. The pose is what made it so well done. Upon conversion though, it got dumbed down to just a shoyru in a red suit, but what were the artists supposed to do? All shoyrus had to have an universal pose, which took away everything that made a Hallo Shoy great in the first place (I'm actually very surprised there's not an unconverted option for those, the art was so different - rather than a Hallo Zaf for example). Artists couldn't change the red suit or really add anything or it wouldn't be the same Halloween Shoyru and I can only imagine the chaos that would have ensued if that one pet got a redesign on conversion, but no others did.

Yeah some of the older colors got the short end of the stick after conversion, like the old Faeries and Halloweens. The old Faeries are now pretty much just basic pets with wings, and the old Halloweens basic pets with suits.

I think the conversion and restricted poses allowed for TNT to be a bit more...creative with color?

I really like the spotted, striped and camo pets that look like real animals. I wish TNT could revamp the old ones to be more like those, instead of the orange/yellow with black spots and blue with pink stripes. Bleh.