Some of these colored neopets are so poorly done

happybox22

It's quite awkward to see :P. I was looking at the faerie painted pets and I feel like TNT were so lazy on making these they just slapped them with wings and called it a day LOL.

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/24jh3dfh/1/2.png

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/m7q6xfct/1/2.png look at this chia, like you can hardly see the wings LOL!

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/ok3bdfb6/1/2.png

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/rcv3k3lq/1/2.png

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/2wsqgt78/1/2.png for something that is a unicorn o_O I wished Tnt put something more pretty with this :<

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/szdd5hkf/1/2.png

I'll add some more later from other paint brushes but some of these pets I would never not in a million years spend a crapload of neopoints on :P

I think that they're all really cute, though I find it disappointing that they look like basic pets with wings tacked on. Pre conversion, they all had interesting poses that made the colour really unique. Most of the other Faerie pets had unique enough colouring to make it still stand out, even with the converted poses.

But even so, they're still cute. :)

I have a Faerie Kacheek, and while it's not my favorite color in the world on her, it allows for some nice customizations.

There are some of these that I do like, though--the Gelert in particular. And, as Xepha said, to each their own. What's right for one person and their pet may not be for another.

Well I understand if some people might like these pets but I'm saying the quality of the pet is different.

Such as look at the Faerie Lenny or the Faerie Petri, the quality of these two painted pets are much better then something like a Faerie Chia imo :P, Which I find is very interesting.

Hmmm I actually quite like the Faerie Gelert and Faerie Korbat (though not as much as some of the other faeries like the Lenny, Poogle, Xweetok, Wocky, Peophin, Draik, and Shoyru, which I aaaalllllll adore).

Personally, I don't really like Faerie Flotsams, but probably just a personal preference.

You know, I kind of have to agree with you. They're basic colours with a pair of wings put on xD You could go to the shop wizard and get a pair of animated wings for much less than the price of a faerie paint brush :P I find some colours weird too. Like..:

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/jnmgqlm9/1/4.png I don't know why, I just found the stripes kind of weird I guess o.o

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/jvd3qtsq/1/4.png All the other darigans look diabolical. This one looks like it's drunk. :(

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/7rvt9qdg/1/4.png The wings. It's definitely the dang wings. A lot of the fire pets are really "plain-jane" too though. I mean, look at some, and then the fire gnorbu. THAT'S a fire neopet xD The ways they have.. For instance, chias, cybunnies, or shoyrus, it's just.. Meh. :P

To be honest, I think converting messed up the look of a lot of the neopets and their colours, so that could be the sole cause of why people dislike / find the looks of certain pets and colours awkward or weird.

I think it has a lot to do with which artists were designing the colour/species combo too. There's no way the same person could have designed both the Faerie Lenny and Faerie Flotsam, with the former I bet being favoured by the majority of people. However, if the same artists had also drawn the Faerie Flotsam, it probably would have had a lot more colour/personality to it. Some people are just more creative than others.

I think it has a lot to do with which artists were designing the colour/species combo too. There's no way the same person could have designed both the Faerie Lenny and Faerie Flotsam, with the former I bet being favoured by the majority of people. However, if the same artists had also drawn the Faerie Flotsam, it probably would have had a lot more colour/personality to it. Some people are just more creative than others.

You know, that does make a lot of sense. I mean, I thought maybe it could have been a group of artists figuring all this stuff out, but if each neopet was designed by an individual artist, that would explain a lot about the differences they all have. Even different colours of the same species. xD

You know, that does make a lot of sense. I mean, I thought maybe it could have been a group of artists figuring all this stuff out, but if each neopet was designed by an individual artist, that would explain a lot about the differences they all have. Even different colours of the same species. xD

Possibly there's a group of artists that collaborate on each design, but still over the years it's likely that group will change as people start/leave the job and all it takes is that one person with the foresight to drive the design.

I feel, that with all of the pets having the same pose, it should be easy for the artists to add cool details to make their pets unique. So, while MAYBE people still love their Faerie pets, you can STILL observe some obvious personality in other Faerie colours. It's not a "to each, his own" kind of thing - it's obvious that there are differences. I think it IS up to the artists who create these pets.

2.png- The design is beautiful, not simple nor one colour.

2.png<-Again, even thouhg it's in the same pose, a lot of effort was brought on to ensure that it had "personality". Although, sometimes, it CAN clash.

2.png<-LOOK how cute he is!!!

2.png

And look at these bad, boring ghosts:

2.png

But then there are ones who look evil, sad, or just stare...

2.png

2.png

2.png

2.png<-LOOK how cute he is!!!

I had NEVER noticed how BEAUTIFUL faerie Myncies were!!! Makes me wanna have one <3

Unconverted pets are usually much more beautiful, indeed. You can clearly see that with some paintbrushes, like Faerie.

Then again, some were boring before and still are, in my opinion. Christmas is one of the worst for me...

2.png I LOVE Cybunnies. Like, really LOVE them. But this... is just meh.

AND THESE!

2.png2.png What are they supposed to be? Sundaes?

But the worst, aahhh, the worst...

2.png Can you spell LAZY? Gosh.

I had NEVER noticed how BEAUTIFUL faerie Myncies were!!! Makes me wanna have one <3

Unconverted pets are usually much more beautiful, indeed. You can clearly see that with some paintbrushes, like Faerie.

Then again, some were boring before and still are, in my opinion. Christmas is one of the worst for me...

AND THESE!

I've always really loved the Christmas Pteris! They're so understated, but lovely! I always really liked when they looked like real animals (I used to have an account with a bunch of Lennies on them, because I loved how they looked like real birds!). XD It just goes to show how different peoples' tastes can be!

I'm surprised that Christmas Pteris aren't more common now, with such a lovely base as that for customizing. :)

And I think the Eyrie and Korbat are supposed to look like candy canes. :)

AND THESE!

I think it's a shame that so many Christmas pets were introduced before customization because I think a lot of the looks could really have been stellar with some PB-clothes. The poogle for instance, I could see it being released exactly the same way pre-customization, just without the clothes, being similar to those Christmas pets that are just striped. The PB clothes give such a basic look for the poogle a little some extra though. I feel the same way about those striped pets. Even if it was something simple like jingle bells hanging from the Korbat's tail, or a wreath of mistletoe around the Eyrie's neck, clothes would have made their look that much better.

You know what could be another money grabbing method that TNT could use to get even more money then they do with that evil system NC?

They could sell this item that could make your pet converted or unconverted lolol.

between

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/8v3fmm3k/1/2.png

and

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/3zb2s2zw/1/2.png

if you take off the halloween outfit for this Shoryu o .. o would they look exactly the same? LOL

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/3thv5fdv/1/2.png

I feel bad for korbat lovers, it seems like alot of bland paint brushes are them LOL.

http://pets.neopets.com/cp/g498mtws/1/2.png

What seems like a lack of creativity is in actuality the age of the paint brush. Faerie pets existed before customization and the pet conversion, so the colors that look 'cheap' or 'lazy' now were actually pretty unique at the time. Now that wings are a dime a dozen the novelty of converted Faeries has certainly worn off, but it's good to remember the evolution of the Neopets site before being critical.

I would say, however, that colors like dimensional and water that have come out more recently seem like a lack of creativity on the part of the artists, but even still there are people who have used those colors as a base in an amazing customization. So to each their own really does apply in this situation.

What seems like a lack of creativity is in actuality the age of the paint brush. Faerie pets existed before customization and the pet conversion, so the colors that look 'cheap' or 'lazy' now were actually pretty unique at the time. Now that wings are a dime a dozen the novelty of converted Faeries has certainly worn off, but it's good to remember the evolution of the Neopets site before being critical.

When the Faerie pets first came out, they actually were pets in the standard pose with wings attached to them, exactly as now (except you could not customize them(It wasn't until later on that the artists gave you the pets which we now refer to as "UC". They weren't unique at first.

http://www.angelfire.com/ne2/faerieguild/faeriepets.html

paint5.jpg<-Original Faerie Kougra

lupe_faerie_baby.jpg

korbat_faerie_baby.jpg

I feel this is a decent topic. The colours on the pets listed here quite basic and deviate from others. This is probably because the artist wanted to maintain the original UC colours but couldn't keep the pose.

I would say, however, that colors like dimensional and water that have come out more recently seem like a lack of creativity on the part of the artists, but even still there are people who have used those colors as a base in an amazing customization. So to each their own really does apply in this situation.

But this discussion isn't about customization. It's about certain pets seeming to lack personality and/or carrying different artwork.

Now, I agree that people COULD look at pet's differently. Personally if I'm buying a paint brush, I'd like to colour to be unique (ie; at least slightly different from standard colours).

You can ESPECIALLY withness with with the Mutants;

2.pngversus 2.png <-Do you not see some major differences in both shading AND detail?

2.pngversus 2.png

The differences are clearly visible.

I think that the reason is mostly related with when the pets were created: newer Neopets tend to have more texture and shading/detail, older Converted oes not so much.

You can also see weird differences in the Eventide ones, too. Some look better, others...kind of clash.

http://www.neocolours.me.uk/viewpet.php?colour=eventide&species=all&pose=happy+male

And look at the Chocolate Korbat compared with the other chocolates!

2.pngversus 2.pngor 2.png

You can ESPECIALLY withness with with the Mutants;

2.pngversus 2.png <-Do you not see some major differences in both shading AND detail?

2.pngversus 2.png

I was going to point out the Mutant pets. I think it can have to do with when the color for that specific pet comes out, and who the artist is. Mutant Lutaris and Chombies are far more recent than, say, the Mutant Xweetok.

The Lutari is stunning, as are these: 4.png4.png

while the these, to me, are just not exciting.

4.png4.png

Once again, to each their own.

And I do agree with the bit about customization. Some of the more "bland" colors can be customized beautifully, playing off of the quirks that are specific to that color. I love my Faerie Kacheek's wings, even if the overall color isn't my favorite.

I hate that quote. In a conversation, must we fall back on quoted word sayings like 'to each, their own'? Why not contribute to a conversation instead of using worn out phrases? This is a discussion forum, is it not? Use evidence. I see people on here who comment on every-new-Neopet released - but the bottom line is, some pets are dull. Maybe taht works out for others. We can throw in perspective all we want, but that doesn't dilute the fact that there is definitely pets which lack quality. It also doesn't stop the fact that most people still don't want their pets say, painted Disco, or Cloud. There are popular and unpopular colours, and if quality improved on some, some people may desire them more.

I actually like the plainer mutant pets more. While the fancier ones clearly have more detail to them, the plainer ones are more consistent with the feel of the site (at least back when they were introduced), and my idea of a "mutant", which is more "awkwardly deformed" than "demonic and evil-looking".

I hate that quote. In a conversation, must we fall back on quoted word sayings like 'to each, their own'? Why not contribute to a conversation instead of using worn out phrases? This is a discussion forum, is it not? Use evidence. I see people on here who comment on every-new-Neopet released - but the bottom line is, some pets are dull. Maybe taht works out for others. We can throw in perspective all we want, but that doesn't dilute the fact that there is definitely pets which lack quality. It also doesn't stop the fact that most people still don't want their pets say, painted Disco, or Cloud. There are popular and unpopular colours, and if quality improved on some, some people may desire them more.

They did contribute to the conversation, actually, just with the additional acknowledgement that everyone has different tastes, hence the "quoted words". Those words are, in essence, a diffuser- they help prevent what was said from being taken out of context, and as such help prevent a conversation from turning into a really silly argument.

There are some pet colors that are less detailed than others, yes, but I think a lot of the less detailed ones are were originally made pre-customization. While this isn't true for all pets, a significant number lost a lot of personality because of the standardized poses. And even the ones who didn't were effected by the artists having to get literally thousands of pet bits drawn in a very specific manner as quickly as they could. Since then, between the artists being more used to the specific format and having a lot more time to get a lot less done, pet colors have become more creative, more detailed, and each pet has been slowly becoming more unique within their color. Take Woodland, for example- each Woodland pet is unique within the color, without an overabundance of weird bits that stick out and get in the way of the customization overlays.

Also, in this era of Neopets, a conversation about colors is almost guaranteed to include talk about customization at some point just by the nature of the game. The clothes a color comes with, what the pet looks like without them, and how easy or hard it is to find reasonably priced wearables that look nice with said color all have an impact on that color's desirability and quality, and a color that looks bland on its own may be the perfect slate for an amazing customization. And unless I'm very much mistaken, one of the biggest reasons Disco and Cloud aren't overly popular is because they're hard to customize (Disco because of clashing colors, Cloud because of the irregular shapes that tend to overlap funny with various items), rather than because they're not detailed or well drawn.

I was going to point out the Mutant pets. I think it can have to do with when the color for that specific pet comes out, and who the artist is. Mutant Lutaris and Chombies are far more recent than, say, the Mutant Xweetok.

The Lutari is stunning, as are these: 4.png4.png

while the these, to me, are just not exciting.

4.png4.png

Once again, to each their own.

And I do agree with the bit about customization. Some of the more "bland" colors can be customized beautifully, playing off of the quirks that are specific to that color. I love my Faerie Kacheek's wings, even if the overall color isn't my favorite.

I understand the desire to see better artwork as the site progresses, but there is also such a thing as overdoing it. Though the acara and poogle might be stunning in their own right, the artwork is out of place in the mutant category. They look like mystical transformers rather than a mutated pet. The xweetok and bruce are more true to the idea of a pet who has been mutated by a transmogrification potion.

This might be exceptional artwork:

2.png

But a chomby on steroids does not have as much of a mutant neopet feel as say these pets:

2.png2.png2.png

The details and shading on mutants such as pteris, kaus, etc. are certainly done by someone with talent, but it's not always necessary especially when seen in the scope of the artwork on the rest of the site and even within that same color group. The other mutants feel truer to the spirit of Neopets than Optimus Prime wannabes or a giant pinata ogrin. We as users shouldn't be required to settle for mediocre coloring, I agree, but a balance is necessary lest the artists go out of control in Photoshop every time a new pet color is premiered.