Writing a novel

Naamah D.

I am currently writing a novel right now and was wondering if anyone has ever written a novel before. What was it about? Did you have music that inspired your chapters? What inspired your characters? What thematics did you use?

I can't say much about my novel because some of the content is Rated M so to speak.

Why would you dare write such innapropriate content? Anyways no I have never written a novel but I LOVE reading ;)

Why do you ask? Do you play rated M video games? They're not that horrible.

I'm working on one, too, but I only have the first two chapters written, and I've already realized I need to age the characters up again so that my intended audience will read it (I wanted it to span 2.5 years of school, but I need to have them start at my target age, not finish there -- it's for middle schoolers, so it's kind of a big difference to have them starting in 7th grade instead of 5th grade). At least I figured it out early. I know the ending already (climax, resolution), and I've outlined some events, etc. that I'd like to take place (on a few different plot threads), but I have a lot of room to explore as I add more characters.

If you're interested in novel writing, I'd suggest trying NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this November. The point is simply to write 50,000 words in November alone. You edit afterwards, if you wish - the main point is simply to get your ideas on paper.

I'd always known I could write a novel, but never did, until NaNoWriMo - it really does get you writing, especially if you tell others you're doing it for motivation.

If you're interested in novel writing, I'd suggest trying NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month) this November. The point is simply to write 50,000 words in November alone. You edit afterwards, if you wish - the main point is simply to get your ideas on paper.

I'd always known I could write a novel, but never did, until NaNoWriMo - it really does get you writing, especially if you tell others you're doing it for motivation.

Why would we wait all the way until November to write? I like the idea of NaNoWriMo, to some extent -- I've participated in NaPoWriMo before -- but at the same time, I'm trying to write a publishable novel. I know too many people who've written themselves into a corner during NaNoWriMo because of the intensity. I'd rather set reasonable goals based on my own schedule and write every day, all year long, and not try to rush the process. If I finish in a month, great. If I can write a better novel in 6 months, one worthy of revising and submitting, even better.

Why would we wait all the way until November to write? I like the idea of NaNoWriMo, to some extent -- I've participated in NaPoWriMo before -- but at the same time, I'm trying to write a publishable novel. I know too many people who've written themselves into a corner during NaNoWriMo because of the intensity. I'd rather set reasonable goals based on my own schedule and write every day, all year long, and not try to rush the process. If I finish in a month, great. If I can write a better novel in 6 months, one worthy of revising and submitting, even better.

NaNoWriMo isn't really to write a completely publishable novel in one month - it's to get your first copy actually written. If you can manage to write your first draft over 6 months, go right ahead. But the fact that NaNoWriMo actually makes you write (especially if you tell your friends - they'll be expecting something come December) is why I liked it.

As for why November, it's just when NaNoWriMo is. If you can't do November, or don't want to, you don't need to. If you want to set your own goals, go right ahead. You're welcome to do NaNowriMo as well as other writing outside of November.

You can pick any month to be your NaNoWriMo, although it's quite convenient that "Novel" has the same starting letters as "November".

I've written a novel. It is glorious...ly in need of editing. NaNoWriMo didn't really help me nearly as much as using a journal and working on it on the subway. (I know it sounds hipster to write in a journal, but I swear it helps--I'm one of those people whose eyes flick over the already written stuff, so it helps to jam up my brain when I have to read my own handwriting.)

Those 61,000 words make a wonderful piece of junk fantasy/sci-fi. It is not deep; it is not emotional. You could even call it anti-emotional, as proven by my one emotional scene that I totally did not take seriously. I do not go in for descriptions much, which sadly makes it need serious editing all the more. The grammar and spelling are perfect, but the flow, the imagery, the language...it could all use some work. The plot is amazing, and so is the plot of the sequel I started storyboarding before editing this one. I really need to get my butt back to it.

In my younger days, with a sweet and sexy editor/agent/cowriter , I got a few short stories published. My zenith being one in Asimov's magazine. It was frustrating work, and not everyone likes rather gruesome Native American horror/fantasy. I still struggle with dialog. After five years, I returned an advance for linking my stories into a novel, I don't have the talent nor the heart. Plus my wife and my sweetie didn't get along too well, not for lack.,,., oh my, this is the wrong forum for those details.

In his pain and madness, in his pain and madness he wove his skill and talent into the clay. All that he was, all that he might have been all the pain and insanity that this movement sang into his soul. In madness he sang, a sweet song, a glorious song, a song of ending. In madness he took his pain and pride, and turned it into this small act of magic, this small piece of clay, this glorious hideous creation of his foolish heart, into this tool to end the pain, to end the shame, to end the suffer, to end the dreams and tomorrows and pain of those unknown and unborn. Into this clay he made the end of the world, the end of the sinners, the end of us all. Into this small thing of clay, all that he was, all that he had been, all what he should have never become. The end of it all, and still it was not enough.

Well, I recently finished off Chapter 13 of a story I've been working on and off on for about 10 or so years. Unlike some of my friends who are ACTUAL authors and HAVE taken part in NaNo, I don't have "muses" running around in my head telling me what to write. lol It's a fantasy story, but I'm trying to avoid the over-use of magic, though I will SLOWLY incorporate magic a bit more into the story as it goes. And that's about all I'll say for now. ;)

If anyone here is going to self-publish, I'd recommend AVOIDING Authorhouse at all costs. One of my friends self-published through them, and it was nothing short of nightmares. My friend got burned pretty bad by them. And now I see dozens of copies of their book on eBay, NEW copies, and my friend hasn't seen a DIME from those apparent sales (that the sellers must've bought to try to resell online)

What's REALLY amusing is that the online-sellers are trying to get MORE than the book was originally priced, and should be available still on Amazon, or my friend's story-based website (Which is temporarily down for now). I saw one auction, the asking price was like $78! LOL Insanity. Because comparitively, the book was only priced at $30. I would agree if anyone says that's a bit of a high price for a softcover book. But I can say it was a pretty darned good read! My friend is a very talented writer, imho. ^_^

Another friend of mine, is going the traditional route for publishing, last I heard, there was some editing or something going on. But that friend's book is on it's way to be published. ^_^

As for what inspires me... Experience. LOL Writers often "write what they know", and shape and bend those experiences to fit the plot and situations for their characters. My characters all have a bit of me in them. So when you get them all together, it's a multi-facetted cast, born from a multi-facetted personality. LOL

Oh, I usually have some sort of media going when I'm writing, drawing, animating. But only SOMETIMES when I compose poetry. I work better on poems in quiet. lol I like instrumental music fine enough, but some foreign music, like Japanese, from some anime or another is pretty cool too. Because it takes awhile of listening before my left-brain tries to sound out the vowel sounds, and then the different words. I don't know the langauge well enough to know what the lyrics are saying, but eventually, I tend to look them up. but before the Left Brain gets involved, the lyrics mix with the music for my right brain, and so the whole thing could almost be instrumental sounding, at least for awhile. ;)

Well, I recently finished off Chapter 13 of a story I've been working on and off on for about 10 or so years. Unlike some of my friends who are ACTUAL authors and HAVE taken part in NaNo, I don't have "muses" running around in my head telling me what to write. lol It's a fantasy story, but I'm trying to avoid the over-use of magic, though I will SLOWLY incorporate magic a bit more into the story as it goes. And that's about all I'll say for now. ;)

;)

Niven told me in an author's room, that he always strips all the science fiction away from his fiction, all ramjets and aliens from the prose. The characters live and breath without all the science, magic or horror. If you can't bond with the characters without the props, than you are not doing your job. Then there was a bunch of black label JW, and I forget the rest of what was said.

I'm actually planning an entire series. In the next one I'm adding new characters and the two main characters are going to be ten years older in the next novel and I'm going to add a new character. I'm not going to rush myself though.

NaNoWriMo sounds cool. I have all of my characters planned out. I have the plot for the first two books planned out. I know what I'm doing ;)

Niven told me in an author's room, that he always strips all the science fiction away from his fiction, all ramjets and aliens from the prose. The characters live and breath without all the science, magic or horror. If you can't bond with the characters without the props, than you are not doing your job. Then there was a bunch of black label JW, and I forget the rest of what was said.

Coltom, right now, almost anything possibly "magical" could be explained by mere coincidence or mechanics, such as picking the lock in the catacombs after one of the lockpicks became bent. It's been hinted at there is the possibility that they could have some kind of power, but it hasn't yet been revealed. however due to deductive reasoning, I mean considering that that person is even in the group, it can be assumed that one character will have that power.

I know character development pretty much tops the most important list, and I've spent most of the story building up the character profiles of my travelers. Still a fair bit of mystery to them, and each one has a different reason for travelling, forming the group.

However, things are starting to come to a head. And an evil wizard has captured my travelers. I know this isn't very original to have an evil wizard these days, but I believe that this one is fairly unique in his quips and quirks. Besides, this story idea and character is over 10 years old. Of course others will write about evil wizards in the meantime while I've been trying to write up to his introduction. ;)

Before JK Rowlings' Harry Potter there were amazing authors like Jane Yolen, Patricia C. Wrede, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, Janny Wurts, and of course, the awesome duo of Margaret Weiss and Tracy Hickman!

I've been purposely avoiding major magic references and such so that the characters can hopefully stand on their own. there have been some references in history and song. But that's the primarily it up to this point. I'm going for light-fantasy, not HIGH fantasy. I want to avoid High Fantasy stuff as much as possible. It's gotta be at least a plausible impossible at the strongest. Not god-modding like some RPers like to do, all powerful and stuff, so annoying. Counterpoints, checks and balances, and of course, human failings are all more important IMHO.

I've had an idea kicking around my head for a novel for a few years, but don't have the discipline to actually write it. Had a few of my short stories and essays that I've written as part of my English degree published in campus publications though, which is kinda cool.

The best writing advice I've ever received regarding fiction is to make sure to fully develop your characters. Plan out their history, their backstory, their future. Even if it's not integral to the story, you can make them more believable by alluding to these things within the story, whether as an anecdote, a passing comment, or how they behave in the story. Many of my writer friends tell me the more developed your characters are, the easier the story is to write, as your characters' personalities and lives can help drive the plot.

I am currently a year into writing one. I am only on chapter 6, but that is the most important chapter (so far), so I'm taking my time with it.

Six month into writing, I got a little bored one night and decided to look for celebs who fit my characters well.

The track, Lily's Theme from Deathly Hallow's: Part 1 score really helps me to write.

I can't write as much, for as long as I'd like to in one sitting due to being ill, which sucks as I'm so used to spending morning, afternoon and evening just writing.

I now have chapters 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5 complete! I'm starting chapter 6 and 7 tomorrow.

I was inspired by a lot of celebrities to design my characters and was heavily influenced by the type of music I listen to.

Chemmikkale, looks like you've gotten a LOT of sound advice, glad to hear the writing is going so quickly for you too! LOL I think in the last few weeks I've added 1, maybe 2 sentences to my story, if that! LOL I think it's cool when the story just flows right to a person. So keep it up and good luck on chapters 6 and 7! :D

Chemmikkale, looks like you've gotten a LOT of sound advice, glad to hear the writing is going so quickly for you too! LOL I think in the last few weeks I've added 1, maybe 2 sentences to my story, if that! LOL I think it's cool when the story just flows right to a person. So keep it up and good luck on chapters 6 and 7! :D

Thanks! I'm really trying to make this a good solid series and please call me Naamah :)