What's with all the avatar hype?

carlyle

I have no idea why I like collecting them?? I have wondered about this myself, after all they are just a load of pixels ... but I want them lol

yes its silly but I still want to have them, and its not even like I change them that often.

I wasnt that bothered at all about avatars until I realised I had quite a few, which was then less than a hundred and someone commented about how I didnt have a few of the easy ones, so I went off and got them and I was hooked, getting more and more and workin out how to get the next one as it got harder and harder...still dont know why I want to do it but its fun so maybe thats all teh answer it needs :shiftyeyes_anim:

Same here. I'm even using a basic one on the boards. It gives me a nice feeling that I was able to meet the requirements for it. Its a challenge. I used to just do everything on my own pace. Just playing games and feeding my pets. I didn't read the news, didn't go on neoboards. It was just a site against boredom. A couple of years ago that changed. I wasn't restricted to X amount of time I could spend online. I lived alone, had my own life and I could spent as much time as I wanted on things. So I started reading, getting deeper into things and so I found out about all the challenges on the site: events and things to collect like avatars. So, now I just want them all. I can never get them all since a lot have retired by now, but I don't want to miss another one!

I think that for most people that collect them, it gives them a nice feeling inside. They are happy with every single one they have obtained. A goal reached with the reward being a little picture. It's like the stamps/stickers you got at school when you were young and did something great. Its just a little picture but it made you happy about yourself and what you did/achieved.

At least, that's the way it is for me :p

I like them because I feel like I haven't entirely wasted 9 years of my life! It shows I've grown at playing, I'm good at certain games, certain battles, certain money spending skills...

I have other goals too - I want to get to at least 250 avatars (annoyingly I managed to miss quite a few site plots so am forever stuck...), get 1mil neopoints (I have a spending problem), complete my gallery of weird collections - seriously, omelettes and apples are in there, complete the Lost Desert stamp page, get the pieces of the lab map so I can start zapping a pet, and get a Water Uni.

I love my original pet to bits, and I'm not sure I want to change her species or colour - red has done me well enough all this time, but I also feel a bit like she's looked down on cause she isn't painted. I have PBs in my inventory - I just don't know if I want to use them haha.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't find them very important to me either, but avatars might as well just be labelled "Achievements" like they are on another virtual pet site (Neo is better XD). I'm more interested in training my pet, saving NP up for rare wearables and PBs, and great weapons. Customisation and battle...those seem to be my two main interests as well as making NP and keeping my pets happy. If I get an avatar every once in a while I'm like "YAY!" but often I don't try for them, especially the ones that puts your pet's health or mood at risk. (which is why I avoid the Snowager and Apple Bobbing, even though the latter DOES give out wearables).

I also play games for other reasons that to just get the avatar. I have a select few I know I'm really good at, and play to make a quick 3k if possible. If I get the avatar, nice, if not, eh, I may get it someday. Even if I have obtained it, I may still play the game, such is the case with Snowmuncher, one of my favourite games.

For me, collecting avatars is the most important thing on Neopets. I don't know why, but I think it has something to do with a sense of accomplishment. I'm always jumping up and down when I manage to get one. Of course; gaining NPs would make me happy too, but never nearly as much as a new avatar. Unless I win a million NPs, maybe lol XD As for stock market...nah. I think it's an awesome part of Neopets, but I never garnered enough excitement to try it out.

• 2 weeks later...

i have to say i agree to players who said that each avatar is an achievement, the rarer the avatar, the greater satisfaction one feels when achieved :) personally, getting avies is one of the reasons why I keep playing neopets, makes me strive to play better at games, makes me save NP for the high priced items needed for avie :D

Any game that has achievements to unlock, I find addicting. Avatars are like that on Neopets--it gives me something to strive for! It's the same reason why I started collecting stamps, too. Though that means it's especially sad when there are retired avatars that I can't get because I wasn't active when they were available... My percentage bar of avatars collected can never be full :(

I think avatars are a fun, challenging thing to collect. Not everyone likes it and it's fine, but it's clearly something a lot of people LOVE to do (I know I'm one of them). They seem to be some kind of status symbol too, but I don't really like that. I don't like all the judging that goes on with how many avatar you have, what kind of avatars you have, if you have a lot of retired ones, what avatar you use at the moment, ect...

Like if I want to use a clickable avatar, I get less people talking to me and taking me seriously on the neoboards than if I use a really old one from the Maraqua plot, it makes no sense to me.

I really like trying to get game avatars too, even though I don,t have many (not very good at flash games lol) But it's a real challenge so when you finally get that avatar it's all worth it.

Avatars can be fun, especially with a reasonable challenge/way, to get them. But despite the avatars I've collected, not many compared to avid collectors, I stick with the default Peophin species avatar. If they come up with a new/neat Peophin avatar I might change to that. ;) I have some other peophin avatars, but while they're pretty cool, not really interesting enough for me to change to them for a long period of time. ;)

I like collecting Peophin items for my peophin gallery. But when new ones are released and they are super expensive, I wait until they come down in price. NP is hard to make for those of us who focus more on flash-games as a source of NP. My other goal, and underlying one, is to make my peophin a great battler. So he gets some training, and can really do some damage with his mostly mid level equipment. I like taking on opponents that are higher than my pet's stats are, though soon that won't matter much because the boosts don't go much higher. lol But yeah, I prefer underlevel battling in the 1p opponents. Same goes for games like Neoquest 2, I tend to fight, and usually win, against enemies when I'm much weaker than guides would recommend. lol So setting little challenges for yourself can be fun too! ;)

It'd be NICE to collect all the avatars, read all the books, etc. etc. etc. But it's not realistic. Even if Neopets is around for another decade, they keep cranking out new EVERYTHING. So keeping up and having enough NP on-hand for everything to stay current is probably pretty nigh-on impossible. XD

Like if I want to use a clickable avatar, I get less people talking to me and taking me seriously on the neoboards than if I use a really old one from the Maraqua plot, it makes no sense to me.

I don't use the Neoboards that much so luckily I haven't had this happen to me yet. I choose the avatar I want to use because it's pretty, not just because it's super rare. ~~Haters gonna hate~~

• 2 weeks later...

I don't use the Neoboards that much so luckily I haven't had this happen to me yet. I choose the avatar I want to use because it's pretty, not just because it's super rare. ~~Haters gonna hate~~

I wish everyone would think like you. But it is not the impression I get from people on neopets at all. Especially on the avatar boards ( I guess I can understand that one, but still you should not judge someone because of the way an avvie looks)

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoy the challenge of collecting them. I've acquired my dream pets and stuff, so I'm going through other stuff. I still collect other things, and I take care of my shop stock, play other games, etc. But avatars are my current obsession, I guess. It's kind of a status thing, like the posts above me were discussing, but for me, it's a way of catching up on Neopets after having been such an apathetic player before. Kind of a way for me to show that I am a serious player and that I've put a lot of time and effort into my Neopets and my acheivements :)

It'd be NICE to collect all the avatars, read all the books, etc. etc. etc. But it's not realistic. Even if Neopets is around for another decade, they keep cranking out new EVERYTHING. So keeping up and having enough NP on-hand for everything to stay current is probably pretty nigh-on impossible. XD

I have to agree with you there. Especially when old ones retire as well.

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I don't much venture onto the forums, but I do like to change around my siggy and av from time to time. I just love collecting them, it is an achievement thing. It was one of the first things I got into on NP back when I first started and I've always enjoyed it, although I'm pretty pitiful at game avatars. I like to look at it like I'm just enriching my account. Plus, they're fun.

My account is 8 1/2 years old and I've only just started collecting them....I really wish I had paid attention to them earlier, because now there are so many I can't get....like someone said on an earlier post, for me, it's a way to explore different parts of the site I wouldn't tusually do and the number is something others can see :)

• 2 weeks later...

Collecting avatars is more easy and fun than collecting stamps. Both things I love to do, collecting books as well. I love to do it just because and that way we can explore more of NP, I also got to know nice people because of avies. Stocking is not my thing, never got the feeling to do it also my computer is very slow wich can be very annoying sometimes

• 4 weeks later...

It's a goal that keeps me on the site. I'm not really into stock, or restocking, or anything like that. Avatars are the little bit-by-bit achievements that I know I can reach, and it's fun to see the number go up. :)

Same here really! This sums it up really well... just being able to work on something bit by bit seems rewarding somehow