What's with all the avatar hype?

carlyle

^^What missjustina said. Personally I'm not really into them either, but yes, lots of people I know are avatar addicts. Some of them are pretty to have and use on the Neoboards. :)

It's a goal that keeps me on the site. I'm not really into stock, or restocking, or anything like that. Avatars are the little bit-by-bit achievements that I know I can reach, and it's fun to see the number go up. :)

I don't really care about the neoboards, so I don't go for avatars to get a good looking image or font/color combo when posting. The avatars for me are achievements really like mentioned above. It's something to work towards and keeps you on the site more.

You guys have other goals as well, right? When you start collecting avatars, does it necessarily mean that you have got the exact pets you wanted and are financially "well off" (how many nps would you need for that), or is it just that you would prefer to get avatars?

You guys have other goals as well, right? When you start collecting avatars, does it necessarily mean that you have got the exact pets you wanted and are financially "well off" (how many nps would you need for that), or is it just that you would prefer to get avatars?

Some people (like me; actually I'm probably the only one who does this) have multiple goals at one time. My current goals are to get an Alien Aisha, train Zyla439 so she has decent stats, get to level 50 at Illusen's Quest/Jhudora's Quest/Habitarium, upgrade Zyla439's set and make it to 5 million or 10 million NP.

Other people only have one goal at a time, like to get 1 million or to get 200 avatars, and they work on them a lot until they accomplish their goals- or just go throughout their Neopian life, working on their goal until they're done.

A lot of people have things they'd like to get and work on them as the mood strikes them. I, for example, have several pets left to paint, specific avatars I want to get, ect. Avatars are just a very visual, shareable thing for people to collect. It's easy to impress someone when you have 300 avatars or you're using a really rare one and people enjoy that.

Avatars are my main goal, really, aside from general account improvement. I have my two dream pets, and I have trained Ansteigen to be stronger than I ever thought I would (though I am going to keep going for as long as I continue to play the site). I am pretty well off, financially, though I still need to go a lot further to be able to afford even the cheapest of the stamp avatars.

I just find avatars a lot of fun. They get me to explore bits of the site I wouldn't otherwise use. For example, I only started using the stock market for the avatar, but now I love it, and invest in it daily, even though I achieved the avatar about six months ago. I play games that I wouldn't otherwise touch in order to get those avatars.

I'm not really interested in saving up my np anymore. I don't let myself withdraw so much that I go below 5 million. I just earn enough to pay for my daily expenses without taking out of my savings. The pet I'm zapping is going to one day be a Magma Kyrii, which is really inexpensive, so I'm just having fun zapping him for now. Unless I finally get a Fountain Faerie quest, I'm happy with my Faerie Zafara and Christmas Aisha's paint jobs. I haven't decided what color I want my Lenny to be.

My goals are to finish Neoquest II, which costs no np, get the Lab Technician as a battledome challenger, which is also free, and keep training my battledome pet, which I earn enough np to do each without saving or taking np out of the bank. I've started putting np away to upgrade my battledome set, but I decided to wait a few months to see where prices are after the Obelisk War is over and I have made some np from the Altador Cup prize shop. If I come up with a goal that does require me to save np, I have a good idea of how much I earn in a day if I'm taking saving seriously. I haven't gotten to the point where I am willing to spend millions on an avatar, but I've been doing a lot of avatar collecting lately. I actually made a profit getting the Lawyerbot avatar. I think it adds more variety to the stuff I do daily.

I'm mainly focused on the avatars. I don't plan to create the pets needed for the avatars, I'm hoping the ALP or others will be able to assist me on some of them.

As far as other goals, I do want to sooner or later start training my pet up, which will take most of my time aside from avatar collecting. As I already have most of the quick/easy ones, my avatar count will start slowing down now.

I do have other goals such as collect more books for my main pet and try to finish off my stamp album or at least add to it as much as I can.

I'm starting to look into collecting TCG cards now as well as possibly starting a gallery to collect more things, but I think I'm going to put the gallery off.

Most people have goals, but some people just have less goals at a time. I think avatar count is a good indication how much work you've put into your account as you can quickly see depending on the number how much time and/or wealth has been put into it.

I have seen older accounts that have great customized pets and such that have little to no avatars, but they do have older ones that are retired now, which shows how long they've been part of the site.

Definitely! I'm focused on training my Maraquan Aisha, and I'm also saving up for a Mara pb (I've decided I'd prefer her as a Poogle, oops - so that'll be expensive).

I love avatar collecting :D

Pretty much like others have said, it feels good when you achieve a new avatar (especially what needs skill)

I have a lot of other goals as well. NP making is my main goal now. I'm really interested in it.

Game avatars and trophy I usually plays when I have time, because school works and other stuffs take much time from me also.

I would personally do avatars if the avatar system were organized into achievement-style tasks and all of them were achievable. That is a big reason why I don't like book club, stamps, or avatars (I have OCD for things like this). Don't the retired things you can never get from all your playing bother you?

I would personally do avatars if the avatar system were organized into achievement-style tasks and all of them were achievable. That is a big reason why I don't like book club, stamps, or avatars (I have OCD for things like this). Don't the retired things you can never get from all your playing bother you?

Of course they bother me. I have a section on my avatar petpage with all of the retired ones, and they annoy me to no end. But they keep me playing in a way, so I won't come back after another hiatus and find MORE avatars I will never be able to get.

It's all in your perspective. :)

I can see some people interested in collecting avatars because it's an aspect of their account they can brag about. Everyone is able to see how many avatars you have so it can be a 'showing off' kind of thing - not to say this is anyone's, or my, main reason for collecting. However, in comparison, no one can see how much you've invested into the stock or market or how well it's doing, etc. So avatars are just another way of showing off what you're good at on Neo: there's expensive avatars for those that like to make NP, there are BD avatars for those who like to train their pets and fight, there's games avatars for those who are good at games, etc.

As for the retired ones, of course it annoys me. My account is old enough to have gotten all of the retired avatars, but I always seemed to be on hiatuses during plots and events and I'm annoyed everytime I come back to find out I missed another one. Yet, that's not going to stop me from getting the avatars I still can. Plus there are tons of game avatars that might as well be retired for all the chance I have to get them, which annoy me to no end as well, but that's the point. Everyone can't get everything. Find your talent and achieve what you can.

I didn't care for avatar collecting at first, but... haha. :'D Here I am, trying to get some game avatars.

It's really to show off, but it's also neat to have a different avatar when you post or just on your account. I collect everything now.

The retired aspect is sure annoying... but I'll live with that. I now have 2 retired avatars (Battledome Veteran and the Obelisk one), so yay.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lol..I remember when I first started playing, I came across some of the clickable avatars accidentally and barely noticed them. I didn't realise they were a 'thing' till I started looking on the fan sites and places, such as this one, and I admit I was a bit puzzled how people could get so obsessive about them...spend so many neopoints on them...put so much time and effort into acquiring them. Now here I am,,..just bought a faerie queen doll.. a toy..for 2 million (which I know isn't seen as a lot anymore, but it still kind of is to me, considering it's the most neopoints I'd ever had) for my pet to play with just so I can get an avatar. Not to mention playing the same game every single day getting frustrated out of my mind JUST so I can get an avatar. Oy...yeah I got the avatar bug! :D

I do have other goals. For me it's just another fun thing to do on the site. Another thing to collect. I love collecting..always have, so it was natural I would become an avatar collector.

I've been trying to get the Stock Market avatar for quite awhile now. I'm just over half way there (and I've gotten further before) but when the stocks go high I can't stop myself from selling them so I've never quite finished (I'm debating on if/when to sell SWNC right now). At this point, I really want the avatar because I've been trying off and on for over a year. Why do I want it? I don't know...I'm happy with the avatar I use:

custard.gif

which I got about 200 avatars ago for 10NP, but I want the Stock Market one all the same. But the good thing is that I've made tons of neopoints while aiming for this avatar, unlike some of the others where I've spent quite a bit.

My NP goal is 50 million in the bank so I can buy stocks every day from just the interest generated. But that's obviously quite a long-term goal (and will likely involve me selling off my gallery), so in the mean time I'm training my pets and working on trophies and avatars.

I freaking love avatars... I think that's what keeps me motivated. I really like that they added the neofriend sidebar thing so it gives me a chance to compete with my friends. I don't really use the neoboards themselves.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest JussttBre

I love collecting them. It gives me goals and challenges to constantly work off. I'm also into guilds and love it when I have a rare or expensive avatar to show off. I guess a part of it is just showing off. :rolleyes_anim: