Tattoos.

complicatedwishes

This is my newest. This was taken just after it was done so you can still see the purple pen and my skin is bright red. This was done a month ago. I am booked in for the shading to be done on the 18th October.

10412005_10154530075960713_6714225809435

I took a pen and drew a tiny little deathly hallow symbol (the one on my avatar) on my wrist. It's maybe a third of an inch across and half an inch tall. I told my mom that I wanted this as a tattoo. She flat out told me that if I got it, she and my dad would cut off my college fund. Because she thinks all tattoos are tacky and she doesn't like them.

And it took a lot of prodding for her to tell me she thought they were tacky. For a while it was just 'i don't like them.' Okay, why? "I don't like them." WHY???? 'They're tacky.'

:thumbsdown: Even my tiny little drawing she thought was tacky.

I'm glad that something that can be covered by my thumb makes you want to cut off college funds.

She also said that she doesn't like how someone would poke you with needles.

YOU ARE WEARING EARNINGS> STAPH.

I took a pen and drew a tiny little deathly hallow symbol (the one on my avatar) on my wrist. It's maybe a third of an inch across and half an inch tall. I told my mom that I wanted this as a tattoo. She flat out told me that if I got it, she and my dad would cut off my college fund. Because she thinks all tattoos are tacky and she doesn't like them.

And it took a lot of prodding for her to tell me she thought they were tacky. For a while it was just 'i don't like them.' Okay, why? "I don't like them." WHY???? 'They're tacky.'

:thumbsdown: Even my tiny little drawing she thought was tacky.

I'm glad that something that can be covered by my thumb makes you want to cut off college funds.

She also said that she doesn't like how someone would poke you with needles.

YOU ARE WEARING EARNINGS> STAPH.

Wow, overreaction much? So what if she thinks it's tacky? It's not her body. I think that sounds like a cool tatoo. I draw in pen on myself all the time. At the moment I have a half bird thing with the head on my thumb and the wing coming out of the crook of my hand. I just love the idea of art that's alive. Flat paper is so boring :P

Wow, overreaction much? So what if she thinks it's tacky? It's not her body. I think that sounds like a cool tatoo. I draw in pen on myself all the time. At the moment I have a half bird thing with the head on my thumb and the wing coming out of the crook of my hand. I just love the idea of art that's alive. Flat paper is so boring :P

It's not her body, but it's her money that I need. I think it's silly as well, but there's really nothing I can do on it.

I love drawing on myself with pen as well. It feels really nice, and it's really easy to wash off and start with a clean slate.

For record, this is the tacky tattoo that could stop me from getting a job. With a penny for size.

tattoo.png

I plan on getting tattoos after I'm hired for my first career-type position as a sort of reward for myself. I'm finishing up grad school right now, so that should be soon! I have plans for four different tattoos, but the placement of most would be easily covered. I do want a word on my inner wrist similar to the deathly hallows symbol that brynchilla posted. But I want it in white ink. I also want a clover on my opposite hand around the thumb muscle area (what is that even called?), but I plan on it being small enough to not be an issue professionally.

I don't really understand why it IS still an issue professionally, for most tattoos. Obviously, if the tattoo is vulgar or somehow obscene, then I get it. But a flower on someone's arm or a rocking sleeve with some excellent artwork isn't hurting anyone or challenging the validity of your work...

I have chosen not to have traditional tattoos, however, I do have permanent eyeliner tattoos.

I've heard of people getting it before. Was it painful? I would think it would be, because the eyes are a rather sensitive place.

Are you happy that you got it? Does it make putting make up on easier?

(If you don't feel comfortable answering these questions, you don't have to. I always seem to just throw questions at people whenever I learn they've had an experience that I haven't.)

I've heard of people getting it before. Was it painful? I would think it would be, because the eyes are a rather sensitive place.

Are you happy that you got it? Does it make putting make up on easier?

(If you don't feel comfortable answering these questions, you don't have to. I always seem to just throw questions at people whenever I learn they've had an experience that I haven't.)

It wasn't terribly painful, the needle was smaller than that used for regular tattoos - I started with the eyebrows, figured it would be less sensitive

I am happy with it - The main reason I did it was because my eyebrows are so light, without makeup it looks funny to me and we do a lot of back-country camping and I don't like to deal with the make-up, so I feel better about myself having it done ;)

Ask away, I don't mind questions at all!

Mariaelise, I agree with you, but I am somewhat biased against facial tattoos and stretched out piercings on people. Anywhere else seems to be fair game to me, but I have to draw a bit of a line on the face, the main reason being for the sake of being a productive citizen. You're less likely to be taken seriously, and less likely to be offered opportunities, especially in the employment department. If a person wants to tattoo their face, fair enough, but I just personally think it's in poor judgment and poor taste.

As for the piercings, as cool as they look, once you stretch your ear piercing out like that, it can't be undone. Your ear will never look the same because it doesn't heal. The whole bias/productive citizen/employment/poor judgment/poor taste thing would apply here as well in my book. In getting gainful work, appearance is everything, so that's the only thing that really irks me about it.

I agree up with the facial tattoos and mainly everything else until the stretched ears.

Stretched ears do heal, there is a process to healing and downsizing. Mine were at 3/4" and due to a blowout went all the way back down to a 4 within days, had I left it alone it more than likely would have healed all the way back down to almost "normal" sized again.

Nothing about piercings is permanent (no, not even dermals) other than the occasional scarring.

It wasn't terribly painful, the needle was smaller than that used for regular tattoos - I started with the eyebrows, figured it would be less sensitive

I am happy with it - The main reason I did it was because my eyebrows are so light, without makeup it looks funny to me and we do a lot of back-country camping and I don't like to deal with the make-up, so I feel better about myself having it done ;)

Ask away, I don't mind questions at all!

Thank-you for the info!

I have light eye brows as well, so I know where you're coming from. Are you there eyebrows? It's me, bryn.

Thank-you for the info!

I have light eye brows as well, so I know where you're coming from. Are you there eyebrows? It's me, bryn.

The other thing I like about it, was that they said it can be undone and/or redone as needed or wanted - I'm happy with mine for now, so I can't confirm that yet.

I have one tattoo, that I got almost exactly a year ago. :) I got the symbol of The Deathly Hallows tattooed on my foot, in the form of an ankle bracelette (sp?) ...

I'm not the type of person to just go and get a tattoo for the heck of it. I waited until I was 25 to make the choice if that was the tattoo I wanted or not. Harry Potter has been a part of my life since the 1st book came out. So over half of my life, and I wanted this tattoo since the last book came out. May sound silly, I don't know, but Harry Potter has a very special place in my heart. These books have been there for me through some of the darkest parts of my life, when no one else was. That's why I decided on this tattoo. Plus, I'm still completely obsessed with these books. :)

That being said, I love tattoos. I really would like to get another one, but I can't figure out what else I would want to get right now. To each his/her own when it comes to tattoos. You can figure out when it comes to your own body if it's tacky or not. Some people may not agree with this, but I do think tattoo's should have some sort of meaning to you. I think it makes them special, and unique. Personal opinion :)

unf I want so many tattoo's but being in the healthcare field its a big NO-NO.

I wish I could get a sleeve.

I know the option to wear a long sleeve shirt under my scrubs is available.

but its not something I would want to do everyday.

I'm getting my Wolf/Raven tattoo filled in on Saturday, I'll post up a picture when it's done.

No idea how I upload a picture here, so I hope this works, It's taken from my Instagram
10724781_739990456036537_71293244_n.jpg

2 sessions down, 6 hours down, 1 more 3 hour ish session to go.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.
Please don't double post. If your post is the most recent reply and you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.
Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 4 weeks later...

My parents were talking about tattoos, and I was just around the corner. So I jumped out.

Apparently, tattoos are disrepective to your body, because you are poking it with ink and needles. (And yet, childbirth is okay. Let's put this foreign substance in you. It's going to mess up your body, and could hurt you. And sometimes you don't want it. But apparently it's not the same thing. :shiftyeyes_anim: ) And that even if you're the best of the best at what you do, if you have tattoo sleeves nobody is going to hire you.

And, here's the kicker: tattoos are bad because God didn't create Adam and eve with tattoos. Oh mother, mother, mother. :whofarted:

After that, she walked away because she said she wasn't a good debater. And then came back and went on about how she is a business lady, and this is her professional opinion and walked away with a smile. :sad01_anim: No mother, this is sad.

Edit: My dad says that if I want to get a tattoo when I move out, I'd better have a really good job first. Because apparently the tattoo I wanted will keep me from getting one.

tattoo.png

That's the tattoo I want to get.

My new idea is to get a tattoo connect the dots that looks like freckles. They'll blend right in.

This reminds me of a commercial I saw back in the day. Older president of a company was in his office - suit, tie, very modern office, and his IT guy comes in - tattoos, dyed hair, etc. President was impressed by IT guys works and got invited to IT guys kegger party. It was funny and showed that just because we are different, we can still get along.

Has anyone else seen it?

This reminds me of a commercial I saw back in the day. Older president of a company was in his office - suit, tie, very modern office, and his IT guy comes in - tattoos, dyed hair, etc. President was impressed by IT guys works and got invited to IT guys kegger party. It was funny and showed that just because we are different, we can still get along.

Has anyone else seen it?

I have't seen it, but it seems interesting.

It shows that just because people look a certain way, that doesn't mean they both can't act the same way.

I think we need to get rid of the thought that tattoos = unprofessional. It's just a bit of ink on your skin. It's like degrading someone because they choose to dye their hair.

I have't seen it, but it seems interesting.

It shows that just because people look a certain way, that doesn't mean they both can't act the same way.

I think we need to get rid of the thought that tattoos = unprofessional. It's just a bit of ink on your skin. It's like degrading someone because they choose to dye their hair.

All because people look a certain way doesn't mean they're a horrible person. All because someone has piercings, tattoos or dyed hair doesn't mean that they're a drug addict or worse.

There are straight laced people who are just rude and cruel. Saying somebody with tattoos is some piece of crap who will never amount to anything is like assuming that all because somebody isn't skinny or "fit" they live off of cheeseburgers and chocolate. The reason I put fit with quotation marks is because people can be larger and be perfectly healthy at the same time. I'm so tired of all of the prejudice based on how someone looks.

All because people look a certain way doesn't mean they're a horrible person. All because someone has piercings, tattoos or dyed hair doesn't mean that they're a drug addict or worse.

There are straight laced people who are just rude and cruel. Saying somebody with tattoos is some piece of crap who will never amount to anything is like assuming that all because somebody isn't skinny or "fit" they live off of cheeseburgers and chocolate. The reason I put fit with quotation marks is because people can be larger and be perfectly healthy at the same time. I'm so tired of all of the prejudice based on how someone looks.

Oh goodness. It's so very important not to judge people off the way they look. I might not look like the most in shape person, and yet I can spend hours running around and keeping ahead of toddlers and young elementary school kids.

Were we not taught to not judge a book by its cover? And yet the same people who taught us that, are doing exactly that!

• 4 weeks later...

I myself probably am never going to get a tattoo, and if I do get a tattoo it would probably be something related to a drastic life event. My sister and her boyfriend both have many tattoos and I'm totally fine with it. I just don't have anything that I'd want to be permanent right now. But this will probably change in the future, who knows?!

I love tattoos! I one on the top of my foot, one on my ankle, one on my calf, one on my back, and one behind my ear. At my work I sometimes wear my hair up and I often wear open top shoes, so a couple of my tattoos are usually visible. Or I sometimes wear skirts. My tattoos did not prevent me from getting my job and getting promoted to manager of a software support department. My tattoos have never hindered me in any of my goals. And I have never declined hiring someone due to their tattoos. I think that tattoos are a lot more widely accepted now than they previously were. I got my first tattoo around 20 years ago and at that time it was less common for women to have tattoos, now it seem it's uncommon to NOT have at least one. :-) I also like tattoos with meanings. Each of my tattoos have special meanings and stories. I enjoy asking people what their tattoos mean and hearing their stories. I also love seeing the joy on peoples faces when they tell stories about loved ones who have passed away, but live on in a tattoo.

Just my opinion. :-) Thanks for listening.

That's the thing, so many people have tattoos that have meaning behind them. It's not just 'oh, I'm going to go inject ink in my body. Fun!' No, stop.

It was a little funny. I showed my mom a picture of a 3D butterfly tattoo on someone's shoulder, but I didn't tell her it was a tattoo. She said it was a little weird looking, but pretty non the less. But when I told her that it was a tattoo, she said it was ugly. :I Not cool.

8688.jpg

That's the tattoo, if anyone was wondering.

I have 8 tattoos.

jack and sexy sally on my arm with me and my bfs initals with a infinity symbol.

bats starting above jacks heaD n ending on my back shoulder

I have a heart (big) on my for arm that says "love" and my BF has the puzzle piece from it that say true.

I have a carttonish blue and green sparrow on my chest

batman symbol with minni bats torn away from it on my hip bone (that one hurt the most)

and finaly on my other arm I have a pink pretty bow with stars and tie dye behind it. (takes up my whole forearm and was my first)

I am 22 and regret none of my tattoos nor will I ever.

infact I plan in being coverd with them from knuckle to ankle :)

I have wanted to be a tattoo artist since I was in 8th grade (even did my jobshadow in middle school at a shop)

and I find it really annoying when people put others down for choices that people make to help them either feel better about themselves or grieve.

tattoos are beautiful and should be appreciated for the time and amount of thought that goes into them.

I do not how ever condone tattoos on minors.

I don't think that the mind is completely ready to make decisions like this at a adolescent age.

same with piercings. I don't care what any one says about piercings they are serious and a lot of the time stay with you for ever due to scaring. and if not properly taken care of can lead to really nasty infections.

I have had 14 or 16 piercingand if I could go back I would have stopped my self and waited. now I only have my belly and tongue pierced.

and cant get new piercings any more cause my last one got infected so bad it turned into cellulitis.

but any way I guess what I am saying as long as your of age and have a legit reason for getting them and think about them long and hard then there is 100% no reason people should hate on them.