So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

I really like dystopian books and I don't mind if they are a bit uncomfortable to read as it's those kinds of books that really stay with you and make you think. Some of my favourite books are Animal Farm, 1984, Lord of the Flies, Catcher in the Rye and Catch 22. I've not gotten round to reading any Asimov though but it's definitely on my list.

I'm currently making my way through Haruki Murakami's novels and he makes references to other literature and i'm planning to read some of the books mentioned in Norwegian Wood so it feels a bit like a weird treasure hunt.

I'm the kind of person that will put a song on to play if it's mentioned in a book too because i'm weird like that.

I've also finally gotten round to reading the hunger games, I put it off because of the hype and because it sounded a lot like the book Battle Royale which I loved. I'm glad I read it now though and i'm looking forward to reading the next two when I get round to buying them.

I really like dystopian books and I don't mind if they are a bit uncomfortable to read as it's those kinds of books that really stay with you and make you think. Some of my favourite books are Animal Farm, 1984, Lord of the Flies, Catcher in the Rye and Catch 22. I've not gotten round to reading any Asimov though but it's definitely on my list.

I'm currently making my way through Haruki Murakami's novels and he makes references to other literature and i'm planning to read some of the books mentioned in Norwegian Wood so it feels a bit like a weird treasure hunt.

I'm the kind of person that will put a song on to play if it's mentioned in a book too because i'm weird like that.

I've also finally gotten round to reading the hunger games, I put it off because of the hype and because it sounded a lot like the book Battle Royale which I loved. I'm glad I read it now though and i'm looking forward to reading the next two when I get round to buying them.

Ahhh I'm writing an essay right now about Lord of the Flies for English class...

And I wrote one last year about Animal Farm XD

I was reading Emma by Jane Austen, and now I'm on a biography about Cleopatra's rise and fall...I thought it would be more interesting, I dont know maybe it's the context of the book and how it's written but it makes me fall asleep...FAST.

I really like medieval or dragon type books with fantasy...does anyone have good suggestions?

I was reading Emma by Jane Austen, and now I'm on a biography about Cleopatra's rise and fall...I thought it would be more interesting, I dont know maybe it's the context of the book and how it's written but it makes me fall asleep...FAST.

I really like medieval or dragon type books with fantasy...does anyone have good suggestions?

well, i've read The Eyes of the Dragon by Stephen King. it was kind of weird, but ok. There's also those George R.R. Martin books but they're a little... explicit. and irritating. lol. i've always loved the Inheritance series by Paolini. Some other fantasy-ish books are Sabriel (Garth Nix), The Forgotten Beasts of Eld (McKillip), and Temeraire (Novik). Also, if you're looking for dragons, Anne McCaffrey's Pern series covers it, but she's more science fiction than fantasy.

hopefully one of those was good... ^_^

currently i'm rereading The Sight for the third time. It has nothing to do with dragons, though. :P

I'm really into manga and anime soo....

I'm reading fruits basket (AND i watch the anime) and although i already finished the anime of death note, i haven't finished reading it...

Fruits basket: beautiful story about friendship

Death note: a psychological thriller (i though it was shonen-ai so it is for older men but almost everybody reads it) with much intelligence... The riddles and detectivework are great and it must have taken so much thought to think of it... I LOVE RAITO/LIGHT SOOO MUCH, and my friends say i remind them of misa ;p

And for school, i'm reading a dutch book called 'de aanslag', it's about when the germans took over haarlem, the capital of one of the provinces and the city where my school is. It's literature so it's quite hard, but i enjoy reading it :)

What is the "City of...." book about?

I've always wanted to know. :rock:

Well they're about a world separate from ours, that protects ours sorta thing. It's good, not as.....um...frustrated? as the Twilight novels, which I though were ok, but not great.

I am reading "the Dark Tower" at the moment, which is the 7th and final (well, there is an 8th, but in the storyline it is in between book 4 and 5 :P ) book in the Dark Tower series. Someone just died and it made me cry, even though I must have read this book about a dozen times already... *blushes* I'm crazy, I know... LOL. I just love my fictional friends from Mid-World. :) ♥

And I loooovvveee the dark tower books. I mean, I read them all up to Wizard and Glass when I was young, and then when the final 3 came out I about had a heart attack. The graphic novels are on my list of books to buy. I just finished the short story "I have no mouth, and I must scream" by Harlan Elliso n. For anyone into post apocalyptic or horror type deals, it's just.....creepy. Really, really creepy & frightening and thought provoking. But short! :laughingsmiley:

Well they're about a world separate from ours, that protects ours sorta thing. It's good, not as.....um...frustrated? as the Twilight novels, which I though were ok, but not great.

And I loooovvveee the dark tower books. I mean, I read them all up to Wizard and Glass when I was young, and then when the final 3 came out I about had a heart attack. The graphic novels are on my list of books to buy. I just finished the short story "I have no mouth, and I must scream" by Harlan Elliso n. For anyone into post apocalyptic or horror type deals, it's just.....creepy. Really, really creepy & frightening and thought provoking. But short! :laughingsmiley:

I started reading dark tower about 15 years ago and got addicted right away. I just keep getting back to the series. It probably sounds weird but after a while I just start to miss Roland and his gang. :)

I have the 1st and 2nd comic set in the dark tower series. I really want the other ones too but I only buy them when I get a good deal :P

By the way, you do know there is a book eight now, right? ;) It just came out last April and it is called The Wind through the Keyhole. Just figured I'd point it out since I heard of a lot of tower fans that didnt get the memo on that one :P

So far this summer I've already read the second and third Hunger Games books, and now I'm (finally) reading the 7th Harry Potter. I don't think it's really necessary to say how good they are, since they're all such popular books.... I think it's funny that Deathly Hallows is two movies, though, because it's reading really fast for me! d; (2/3 done after 2 days... hehe.)

By the way, you do know there is a book eight now, right? ;) It just came out last April and it is called The Wind through the Keyhole. Just figured I'd point it out since I heard of a lot of tower fans that didnt get the memo on that one :P

Yeah, I missed that memo!

I found out about it just about a month ago, but I haven't been to my bookstore in a while. And Wal-mart doesn't carry it. :sad02: I'm pretty out of reading material right now, I'm going to have to go on a book shopping binge soon :woot:

I am working on 'Silence', the third to the 'Hush Hush' saga. It is not clear as to whether it's the last and I hope it's not, it's a very good and creative story. Nora is strong and dedicated heroine although a bit arrogant. Not like most and Patch is not your typical romantic boyfriend, as decent a guy as he became over the years he still has that dark side to him that makes him a fallen.

I like how the Fallen history is not like the little I am most familiar with, how they rebelled against their job to look over Adam and Eve rather than sided with Lucifer to overtake paradise and then regret the decision when they discovered that he had deceived them(I think that was how it went). These fallen are dark and seek human bodies even by it's cruel means rather than seek redepemption. I from my personal expierence found that unique.

I am working on 'Silence', the third to the 'Hush Hush' saga. It is not clear as to whether it's the last and I hope it's not, it's a very good and creative story.

It's not the last - there's one more book called Finale that hasn't been released yet. But I like that series as well :)

I'm currently reading Darkest Mercy by Melissa Marr. It's the final book in an urban faery tale series she wrote. It's decent so far.

It's not the last - there's one more book called Finale that hasn't been released yet. But I like that series as well :)

Awesomeness although I am not sure I a a fan of that title hehe, do you know when it's to be released?

Awesomeness although I am not sure I a a fan of that title hehe, do you know when it's to be released?

October 23 of this year. And yeah, it seems like the author was vaguely doing some sort of musical theme/volume theme with the titles, but Finale is just so in-your-face "look! the series is over! this is it!"

October 23 of this year. And yeah, it seems like the author was vaguely doing some sort of musical theme/volume theme with the titles, but Finale is just so in-your-face "look! the series is over! this is it!"

Yeah I can see the volume theme (although I am not sure what Cresendo means but I assume it fits since Hush Hush and Silence are volumes). Finale does not fit that theme, like you said it's very in your face and kind of lazy. Like Um...ok well it's the end so I'll just call it the end.

Yeah I can see the volume theme (although I am not sure what Cresendo means but I assume it fits since Hush Hush and Silence are volumes). Finale does not fit that theme, like you said it's very in your face and kind of lazy. Like Um...ok well it's the end so I'll just call it the end.

A crescendo is an increase in volume, as in "The noise crescendoed as more voices were added to the conversation."

Hopefully the book will be less lazy than the title, and give a fitting end to the series.

In other news, I'm now reading Black Heart by Holly Black. :P

Just started reading The Lying Game series. I love the show on tv so I'm hoping the books will be just as good! (most likely better)

I love The Lying Game and PLL on TV, but I've never read the books.

Please let me know if they're good!

Right now, I'm reading City of Lost Souls by Cassandra Clare.

Although, I prefer The Infernal Devices to The Mortal Instruments.

Last night I began to read the first Maximum Ride book.

I had read part of it and quit, but I was so bored I decided to try it again.

Not bad so far. :yes: