So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

I'm reading The Rebel by Albert Camus ...

I love philosophy .. but this one is too hard :D it's about post-World War II Europe so I have to mentally jump to that era in order to comprehend the state of mind he was in ...

so far it's 6/10 ...

EEh! A topic for me :)

I love A.Camus! My favourite work of his is Stranger. It's just amazing. We read parts of ''The Rebel'' in school. I have yet to finish it.

I'm currently reading Franz Kafka's ''Judgement''. So far it's amazing. He has a unique style like no one else. I also recomend his ''Metamorphosis''. Next on my list is Boccacio's Decameron. I've read parts of it, now I want to read the rest.

Stephen King is pretty good. But I don't like ''It'' so much, because clowns totally freak me out :(

But my favourite of all is the trilogy ''Divine Comedy''. And I love Greek & Roman literature.

I don't read a lot, but today I took The Hobbit from the library.

Strangely, I was walking down the halls at school with the book in my hand, and tonnes of people kept on telling me "Great choice! That's such a good book!"

Yea Hobbit was good.

I was wondering... any of you read The Man Who Loved Clowns?

It was pretty amazing.

But my favourite of all is the trilogy ''Divine Comedy''. And I love Greek & Roman literature.

you liked the whole thing? I mean, Purgatory was good (in my opinion), but... The Inferno bored me to death. I mean, I like morbid, revolting things, but it honestly seemed like Dante was just making up symbolic punishments for personal vengeance. Plus, the fact that he was a character in his own story bugged me a little.

Anyway... I'm about to start A Brave New World. Hopefully it's as good (if not better than) Vonnegut's Player Piano. And has anyone read the short story August 2026 by Bradbury? it was awesome. Not that I particularly like Bradbury.

and now i'm going to stop before i start ranting about satire... :*

I'm currently reading the book Anna Dressed in Blood. So far I love it.

Usually I read adult novels, mystery/suspense/horror. I could classify this one more as "Teen". But for anyone that loves the paranormal, I would recommend you to look into this book! (:

I finished Misery by Stephan King.

Up till near the end of the book, I wasn't impressed. Just when it's left to about 50 or so pages, it gets really good. It was gruesome! :D

8.5/10, because of the FANTASTIC ending.

(Although I think teh part 3 ending is better than the actual ending itself)

Brave new world is awesome~

Okay, here's one on my sister's keeper. :3

WARNING: SPOILER ALERT!

I just read My Sister’s Keeper by Jodi Picoult… It’s now my favourite book by her. I personally do feel that Picoult is overrated, but there are two books I’ve read that have stuck in my mind. One: House Rules – Which I’ll talk about on a later date and Two: My Sister’s Keeper.

She did a really great job with this book… there are two major turning points in it. One, when Anna reveals that backing of her filed suing is Kate, and two, when Anna dies. The Kate thing is new, but it’s not so much of a suprise, mostly because when you read enough, you realise that all stories have a dramatic twist/turning point. If they don’t, they’re called fairy tales:

Cinderella goes to the ball.

Meets Prince.

Marries Prince.

Lives happily ever after.

A STORY, though, would go along the line of:

Cinderella goes to ball.

Meets Prince.

Marries the oh-so-perfect Prince, who is smitten with her.

Then realizes he has a deadly secret.

Etc.

So the Kate thing was okayyyyy and the thing about Campbell, too. (WHICH PARENT WOULD NAME THEIR KID CAMPBELL??!) I mean, from the start you know he always loved Julia and gave her up for a good reason etc etc etc but I was SUPER excited to get to the point where he gave his secret up, instead of all the awesomely hilarious but untrue ones that are revealed earlier. I will post all of them separately, later, when I scout them out.

Anyway, when I found out why, it wasn’t a big deal, and that led to a kind of let down, too. :<

But I like the bit when Anna dies, really, because it made me think. Basically my thoughts were going along the line of:

“I wonder what her parents feel.”

“Spending whole lives worrying about the other one dying, and now Anna going away.”

“Can you imagine that they pampered and gave everything to the wrong kid; took everything away from the one who died in the end?”

And, the first and foremost one:

“Damn.”

The thing about this is, I’ve not grown to love any of the characters. In fact, I realize that in all of Picoult’s books, even if I can cry for a character, even if I can feel angry for one, even if I can explode with injustice for another, I never actually end up in love with them.

What I do like, though, are the COURT SCENES – because they are awesome and amazing and the arguments are just beautiful. I would love to watch a real one one day, just sneak into court and listen to the life of someone who I don’t even know being battled and pulled apart by two opposing counsels, with the hope that the one that is right will be able to get his work done.

But even then, there is the problem when there is never a “right”, right?

I liked that about this book. There was no right or wrong final verdict (I also liked that Kate survived in place of her sister – although I didn’t feel happy or anything for her. I think Picoult could have put in more about her from around the whole story looking at things from different character’s point of view. There’s so little about her, I don’t know what kind of person she is. At least I know Anna. But she’s dead, so it doesn’t matter.), which put a damper on the scene, and kind of ruined the whole argument thing that I LOVE, but the non right wrong thing worked out beautifully, so. icon_smile.gif?m=1306998945g

Anna dying was a very good plot twistage/manipulation, very well done, Picoult! Though obviously you would not care about a girl spewing out words about you and your books. Still.

I loved this.

You go, Anna. You go.

EDIT: 8.5/10.

I completely agree with you. Though, the book that got me into Picoult was 'Vanishing Acts.' An amazing book.

I don't find her to be overrated because of the Twilight thing. She deserves more credit than Meyer in my opinion, for sure.

I'm re-reading the Eragon, Eldest, and Brisingr before I start Inheritance :)

I need to read Inheritance so bad! Ahh.

And on my own note, I love Harry Potter, don't get me wrong... But the writing isn't 'superb.' It's the story line that gets people into the series. I think J.K Rowling just got lucky. (No offence to anyone) And it was mostly the movies that got her all the attention anyways.

Stephen King? Love his imagination but I do find him to be overrated.

I do read Nicholas Cage, the only romance novels I do read.

And, Sarah Dessen? For young adult books, I really do love the topics she touches on. Brings a lot of things to light.

I don't find her to be overrated because of the Twilight thing. She deserves more credit than Meyer in my opinion, for sure.

Hmm? I don't understand - did I say this? :O What relation does she have with twilight! I agree with the fact she's written more books - but I've liked host more than any of the picoult ones I've read. I'll have to pick up vanishing acts. :D

And on my own note, I love Harry Potter, don't get me wrong... But the writing isn't 'superb.' It's the story line that gets people into the series. I think J.K Rowling just got lucky. (No offence to anyone) And it was mostly the movies that got her all the attention anyways.

AGREED.

Stephen King? Love his imagination but I do find him to be overrated.
Agreed again! Carrie was pretty amazing, though, but it took a LOT to get me into Misery, I was skipping loads because it was so... *winces* boring.

I do read Nicholas Cage, the only romance novels I do read.

What, the vampire? :P

Agreed again! Carrie was pretty amazing, though, but it took a LOT to get me into Misery, I was skipping loads because it was so... *winces* boring.

You should try to read The Talisman and Black House. He wrote these two together with Peter Straub.

I literally cried a couple times throughout these 2 books. :*

I am totally in love with SK's stories, and there is only one book that he wrote that I don't like (Colorado Kid). I do understand though that his style might be a tough chew for people who are not into his style.

I've just finished Darkness Falling (Forever Twighlight) by Peter Crowther - Gotta say it bored me a little, I kept flicking through overly long descriptions and hoping for something else but the whole book was very samey. I was very disappointed :(

I'm about to read Gypsy Princess by Violet MP Cannon, she is a Romany Gypsy, living in Britain, about 20 I would think and this is her story of growing up as a Gypsy. Looking forward to it, not my normal type of book, but this interests me <3

I'm about to read Gypsy Princess by Violet MP Cannon, she is a Romany Gypsy, living in Britain, about 20 I would think and this is her story of growing up as a Gypsy. Looking forward to it, not my normal type of book, but this interests me <3

That sounds really interesting! I heard about that book in my anthropology class two years ago, but I still haven't had the motivation to actually go get a copy... I'll have to check it out. ^_^

I've just started on Your Heart Belongs to Me by Dean Koontz.

About a 100 pages into the book, it's super suspensful... can't wait to see how this turns out!

I heard that that was... interesting, to the say the least. I honestly got tired of Koontz when I realized his writing never changes, but that's just me. ^_^

I just started Brave New World. It's an interesting concept, making the entire population basically the same human... multiple sets of twins from the same cell and all... as a twin I find the idea that creating 75 identical twins amusing. Me and my twin are completely different, so... the solidarity of a society built on twins really wouldn't be all that different (besides being the same ethnic group).

but I'm not even sure if that's what the book's about, because I'm only on page 11. XD If it is, though, the author has a very unrealistic concept.

The Devil's Redhead

along with many fanfictions.

I heard that that was... interesting, to the say the least. I honestly got tired of Koontz when I realized his writing never changes, but that's just me. ^_^

I just started Brave New World. It's an interesting concept, making the entire population basically the same human... multiple sets of twins from the same cell and all... as a twin I find the idea that creating 75 identical twins amusing. Me and my twin are completely different, so... the solidarity of a society built on twins really wouldn't be all that different (besides being the same ethnic group).

but I'm not even sure if that's what the book's about, because I'm only on page 11. XD If it is, though, the author has a very unrealistic concept.

I ended up having to read Brave New World for 2 of my classes in college. I hate that book so much. Essentially, they're taught to have sex at the age of 5.

Well, it's my first book from him! :P

Also, Brave New World is awesome. It's not unrealistic, because they explain everything out in the story. Page 11? Stick to it. It's awesome.

Also, Brave New World is awesome. It's not unrealistic, because they explain everything out in the story. Page 11? Stick to it. It's awesome.

I'll be sure to stick with it, then. ^_^

I ended up having to read Brave New World for 2 of my classes in college. I hate that book so much. Essentially, they're taught to have sex at the age of 5.

lol I hope I don't hate it that much. XD

That sounds really interesting! I heard about that book in my anthropology class two years ago, but I still haven't had the motivation to actually go get a copy... I'll have to check it out. ^_^

It was fab! I read it in 3 nights, stayed up till 1 in the morning every night reading under the covers, when I had to be at work in the morning!! It was (on the whole) a very happy and upbeat book, some tragedy, but mostly a much more positive look at Gypsy life, the one thing that really struck me, was how FREE they were in childhood, made me quite envious!

If you read it, let me know what you think! :)

It was fab! I read it in 3 nights, stayed up till 1 in the morning every night reading under the covers, when I had to be at work in the morning!! It was (on the whole) a very happy and upbeat book, some tragedy, but mostly a much more positive look at Gypsy life, the one thing that really struck me, was how FREE they were in childhood, made me quite envious!

If you read it, let me know what you think! :)

I'll be sure to read it now that I've heard it's that good! Just as soon as I get a copy... ^^

As for Brave New World, I finished it late last night. I'm glad I stuck to it, because the ending was very good. That seems to always be the case with the older satires on society. Player Piano was the same way for me: the beginning was dull, the middle was interesting, and finally the ending was highly amusing. I will say that my earlier statement was completely off! The solidarity was not only through DNA, but through drugs inducing happiness and built-in conditioning against the horrible or fantastic parts of life... I can't imagine living without emotions, or art, or religion. Those are really all I have. And honestly, I think I like suffering just as much as I like the fun or happy stuff. It's not fun, but without the downs there'd be no ups.

So, overall I thought it was rather good.

Welll... on to the next read. I'm not sure what it'll be yet - either The Count of Monte Cristo or Divergent, or... maybe if I see something else at the library, that instead.

Update: I just finished Life of Pi and loved it! ^_^ And I finally borrowed a copy of Divergent. XD

• 1 month later...

I just finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy.

I've got to say I was a little bit disappointed. They were very readable but not what I'd call 'great'. I liked Mockingjay best. Although, haha, I will admit I read all three within three days. It's just that sort of easygoing narrative that doesn't have much depth or employ any great literary techniques but is still engaging and forces you to keep reading. Most of the characters were pretty one dimensional in my opinion too. ?

Still it's another book fad I can cross off my list :D

I've been watching Game Of Thrones and I'm completely addicted so I'm going to start those books too :)

I've got to say I was a little bit disappointed. They were very readable but not what I'd call 'great'. I liked Mockingjay best. Although, haha, I will admit I read all three within three days. It's just that sort of easygoing narrative that doesn't have much depth or employ any great literary techniques but is still engaging and forces you to keep reading. Most of the characters were pretty one dimensional in my opinion too. ?

I've been watching Game Of Thrones and I'm completely addicted so I'm going to start those books too :)

I still need to read that Hunger Games book! So many books, so little time... And I've always wondered about the TV series for the G RR Martin books... But when they took over a year to publish the last book, I kind of forgot all the plot and decided not to watch it. I don't like Daenerys anyway. Not in the last books, at least. ANYWAY, I think they're good books & you'll probably like them! =)

I finished Divergent a few weeks ago, and I don't know how to feel about it. It was easy to read, but i found myself almost bored by the plot... I think I liked it overall, though ^_^

Also, I started The Girl Who Played With Fire. *sigh* ... All the parts with the journalist are sooo boring. I have no patience for a writer writing about a writer. It's like Dante's Inferno all over again... Who cares what Blomkvist is doing?? I don't care if he's the main character! <_<

Lol. Just being dramatic. It's not THAT boring. :D

i'm about to start reading inheritance by christopher paolini.. it's the latest (and final) book of the eragon series and i bought it quite some time ago, fully intending to get right into it immediately. obviously, i failed to do so. : p i'm looking forward to it!

I just made a massive post in the hunger games thread that said basically this but in about a hundred times more characters. May I steal your words? :P But, yes, same - read them in three days. I was surprised at how quickly I read them actually - I'm quite out of practice.

I may finally be getting my hands on a copy of "To Kill a Mockingbird". Anything I need to watch out for?