So what are you reading?

Lauren_x

I'm reading A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle. 10/10. Absolutely wonderful! It is EXACTLY everything Provencal! It's witty, but not a difficult read at all. I wish it wasn't going to end (it's around 200 pages long). It's an English book, but that doesn't mean only the English can understand the humor. I think that this is great if you're looking for a short, light but incredibly hilarious read. :laughingsmiley:

Read all of them!! I finished A Dance with Dragons somewhat recently and I am frustrated that it will be years until the next book comes out. They get really good.

Currently reading Robinson Crusoe.by Daniel Defoe. Considered a "classic", so I haaaave to.

I intend to. I've got them all, I just never got around to reading them. I thought Clash of Kings was a bit slow at first but it's now getting really, really good. I'm on the verge of obsession, actually. D:

I'm reading The Last Apprentice: Rise of the Huntress by Joseph Delaney. I have the next book in the series so I'll read that once I finish this one.

Currently reading The Trial by Kafka.

The last three books I read (books I read this year, I am slow :S) were:

Remains of the Day 5/5

Life of Pi 4/5

The Double and The Gambler 3/5

I don't know what it is, but I just really don't like the way Dostoyevsky ends his books. I liked both of the stories, but especially the ending of The Double...eh.

My teacher just recommended Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut, so I picked it up from the library. He said it changed his life, and several other people

have spoke highly if it, so I'm sure it's good.

(on the Castle book series) I've been wondering forever the story about the true author too! Everywhere I look, it just credits 'Richard Castle' as the author.

Slaughterhouse Five is really good. It's one of my go to books for lending when I'm not sure if people are going to be into the same kind of genres I am. That and Woman in the Dunes.

Anything by Kurt Vonnegut is definitely a good read. He has an interesting perspective on the world and we share the same cynicism so I love his work ;)

Currently reading Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. Always been a Palahniuk fan and this one doesn't disappoint!

Currently reading Insurgent. I am enjoying all of the Dystopian themed books that are being released as of late so I have been reading many like that lately. I will probably re-read Pride & Prejudice again after though.

Currently reading Insurgent. I am enjoying all of the Dystopian themed books that are being released as of late so I have been reading many like that lately. I will probably re-read Pride & Prejudice again after though.

I love those books. :D Just finished reading Divergent and started reading Insurgent recently.

So my friends went to go see Warm Bodies the other day (I had other plans ) and I was surprised to find out it was based on a book.

It was only like 200 something pages so I *cough* "acquired" it and read through it in one sitting.

It was interesting to say the least; not exactly terrible but it wasn't wonderful either. I've never read a book on zombies before so that was a first. Still not sure if I feel like the ending was perfect for the book or a generic cop-out lol.

It was a lot more thought provoking (as much as a teen fantasy romance can be) than I expected so that was a plus. I'm curious as to what the movie is like now; I feel it's a lot more in that whole Twilight-tween-crap genre than the book might have been?

It's a quick read so if you got a couple of hours to burn might as well give it a go lol.

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please do not use curse words in your posts. Acronyms containing curse words aren't allowed either. These have been removed.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

• 3 weeks later...

I'm reading a number of books right now. I am rereading City of Bones since I found out they are making it into a movie! I love romance and fantasy novels, but love the occasional mystery novel. I am currently involved in a Magical Cats mystery novel (4th book in the series) called Cat Trick. I love to read and so always have a book.

I'm still in the middle of King Lear, as well as Life and Time by Isaac Asimov and Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe (it's my second run-through; I suspected the ending would be what it was, so I'm skimming to re-read all the foreshadowing). Haven't started A Year Down Yonder yet; I will once I finish rereading Aristotle and Dante.

Currently reading Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. Always been a Palahniuk fan and this one doesn't disappoint!

Yes! All of Chuck Palahniuk's books are absolute gold. Diary is my favorite, followed by Choke. When people say they've never read Fight Club or Choke I'm always adamant to recommend the books. The movies are pretty fantastic, but the books are infinitely better (ain't that always the truth, though?)

I'm curious as to what the movie is like now; I feel it's a lot more in that whole Twilight-tween-crap genre than the book might have been?

I've never read the book, but my sweetie wanted to see "Warm Bodies" because the main character was in "Skins". So I humored the desire and went to see it too and I must say I was pleasantly surprised! It draws obvious parallels with Romeo and Juliet (R and Julie? and the balcony scene? c'mon), but it was genuinely enjoyable. R's inner dialogue is compelling and his best friend is a pretty cool character too. And you can't really go wrong with a film involving John Malkovich :P

Currently I am reading Toast by Nigel Slater. I picked it up at a second hand bookstore, and I was surprised when I friend told me there is a film based on it with Helena Bonham Carter. I'm about halfway through the book and it's quite interesting. I can't wait to finish it and check out the film.

I just finished Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer and I thought it was absolutely genius. I can't recommend it highly enough if you haven't read it yet. I've still got one more ASOIAF book left to finish, so I think that'll be my next read.

I just finished Everything is Illuminated by Jonathan Safran Foer and I thought it was absolutely genius. I can't recommend it highly enough if you haven't read it yet. I've still got one more ASOIAF book left to finish, so I think that'll be my next read.

Jonathan Safran Foer is one of my favorite authors. I highly recommend reading Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, if you haven't already. I love the phrase "don't judge a book by it's movie!" and that's definitely true with Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close. The book is just as well crafter as Everything is Illuminated, but unlike the masterpiece with Elijah Wood and Eugene Hutz the movie adaptation of ELIC leaves a lot to be desired.

Have you been watching the "Game of Thrones" television series? I am always curious to see what people think about the series versus the books, especially since I am under the impression the book series isn't even complete? I feel like I need to read them, but I'm not sure what to expect as far as wrapping my brain around the book with the television series already in my head.

I also finished reading Toast and it was great. The author is a food critic, but he's an excellent storyteller and I would recommend it.

I am actually uncertain of what I am going to read now. I am going to be fairly busy this summer so I've been considering a reread of both the Harry Potter series and the Hunger Games. Rereading is more leisurely during downtime and before bed, where as starting a new book will have me chomping at the bit to read it in every spare moment. I usually end up procrastinating in order to read, so I figured old favorites would be safer.

Currently reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson after having been recommended by a friend who found out I loved The Night Angel trilogy. So far it's been interesting! He's a great storyteller with lots of interesting concepts into a world of magic :) It's a huge, huge, book so it'll keep me entertained for a while.

Next on my reading list is Skulduggery Pleasant: Kingdom of the Wicked. I can't get Derek Landy books here because he's an Irish author and therefore not very popular here, but a friend bought it for me so I'm excited to get started!

• 2 weeks later...

I finished reading The Hooded Man by Jay Bennett yesterday. It was good. Now I'm reading Ranger's Apprentice Book One: The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan.

I've made up my mind to try to read some of the doorstopper-sized books I've had on my to-read shelf since forever. Right now I have about 200 pages left in Doctor Zhivago, an epic about Russia spanning WWI - the Soviet Revolution that follows two characters (one male, one female) as their lives intersect over and over. It's really good - I'm enjoying it much more than the other Russian epic I've read recently, Anna Karenina. I'm especially impressed with the female characters and the way they're handled.

BTW, there's a 2002 2-part Masterpiece Theater adaptation starring Kiera Knightley on Netflix streaming, and it's really well done, besides a few changes I didn't agree with.

I finished King Lear and A Year Down Yonder. Still working my way through Life and Time by Isaac Asimov; I don't think I'll finish all the essays before it's due back. For fun, I'll be reading Moon over Manifest soon.

I'm just about halfway through The Pallbearers by Stephen J. Cannell.

I discovered Cannell because he was a poker buddy of the "author" Rick Castle on Castle. I was curious as to who the authors were I didn't recognize (James Patterson and Michael Connelly being the ones I did recognize) and decided to look him up.

I'm really enjoying this series. (It's the Shane Scully series) It's a cop/crime/law series, but it had a totally different spin from the norm, it seems, so definitely enjoyable.