Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

Despite the fact that salt is corrosive, it does take repeated exposure of the metallic stuff so I guess it's not usually that much of a problem. My bike on the other hand, is starting to get a little corroded from it getting all salt watery from me riding it home after going to the beach, poor bike.

And I definately should have chosen 'immersed oneself in water' that would have been a winner of a statement :king:

I haven't been swimming in the ocean since I was around 6. After that, I've only been to a beach 4 other times, and I didn't go in past my knees. But I've gone to the Gulf side in Florida, Long Beach in Cali, Cabo San Lucas Mexico, and in the Bahamas.

But in the mountains, a few hours from here, we have some hot springs. They stick badly, and there's the sulfur. But they're nice and warm. (And open all year.) I haven't been there in forever either.

Swum is the past participle, making it appropriate in that usage (unless my grammar is deteriorating even faster than I realised). :yes:

Edit: It seems there are a whole bunch of swimming experiences I've been missing out on. xD

Well, yes, the ocean is far more salty, but salt-water pools are really nice. I remember the last time I went swimming in the ocean (or at least I think it was the last time). I stepped on a barnacle, with bare feet, and the thing stabbed into my big toe, and stayed there. Barnacles out of their shell are really soft and gross looking. I feel sorry for it now, but I wasn't even a teenager yet then, and I was terrified of the thing, and angry that it stabbed me. LOL

I personally would not wear a watch when I was going swimming in any water, but I would assume that if you dry out whatever it is you are taking in the water, the corrosive effects would not be that great. Just like if you get lucky, with a watch that is not waterproof, if you dry it out right away, sometimes you can make it work again.

Heh, I now have an image of an angry barnacle stuck in my head for some reason. xD

And yep, all the manuals for waterproof electronics usually say to rinse them in fresh water and dry them out immediately if they're exposed to salt water. :yes:

Eh, well, even waterproof electronics suffer a lot of negative effects from water exposure. Colours tend to fade out, button mechanisms get less elastic, etc. :yes: Which is why I try not to actually use the 'waterproof' feature when I can avoid it. xD

I had a "Waterproof" Watch once and then I took a shower...it wasn't on my wrist but apparently 'Waterproof' doesn't mean 'in a steamy room while your having a shower and not taking any damage' proof...

Hmm... odd, waterproof should mean sealed, even against steam condensation. You should start a class action lawsuit or something. :P

Well, people have started class action lawsuits over less. xD Apparently some guy started one because his daughter managed to crack the glass on her iPhone when she dropped it...

You know, one of my favourite podcasters saw this problem coming as soon as Apple announced that the iPhone 4 would have glass on both sides. :laughingsmiley:

Indeed. Most people around the world see the USA as the land of lawsuits, at least in my experience. xD

It is, really. People just go crazy with the lawsuits here. That's why there's all those jokes about warning labels on products. You know like on a hot drink cup: "Warning: Contents may be hot." It's like, REALLY? :ohno:

My favorite is on a jar of peanuts: "May contain nuts" I would hope so. o_O

Heh, yeah, I think I remember something similar from Monty Python illustrating the importance of those warnings though. xD

*digs* And here it is!

That one is silly too. The idiocy of some people is just...astounding. Did the hot coffee people win the suit? *is too lazy to read past posts*

Almost time to start hw. So I might poof anytime. :D

Eh, I have a lot of respect for companies that are willing to stand up and fight against dumb lawsuits (patents, DMCA, etc.) instead of just settling them (which is the financially safer option). :yes: