Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

It'd be fun to play chess with you guys sometime. I'm not actually that good, I've been playing 4th and 5th board all season because I missed preseason when I could easily play 2nd or 3rd.

Basketball's a lot of fun. I used to play it, but I never got to be that good at it.

She was Ryan. She wanted to continue into HS, then possibly get a basketball scholarship for college. She probably could have, but she quit before HS. But she was crazy about it. (Plus, she was a Chicago Bulls fan, and this was going on during the years the Bulls were in the finals with the Utah Jazz.)

I'd actually go to my basketball practices in my Utah Jazz jerseys.

@Will

I play 3rd. -nodnod- I think our team is the 3rd best currently. The one team that we avoided the sweep with though goes national every year. Them be insane. o.o'

Lol, Jazz sucks. Just sayin'. :P

Lol, Jazz sucks. Just sayin'. :P

Well they do now. :laughingsmiley: They went to the finals with the Bulls for 2 years. (And the last year, they would have won, had it not been for several bad ref calls, but that's a whole different conversation. :P)

They were my favorite at the time. The best thing was, they actually really motivated me to play harder. My coach was amused I seemed do better with my free throws when I was wearing my Karl Malone jersey. (I struggled with free throws. Lay ups were my best/favorite shot.)

I've played checkers before, but it really wasn't my strong point.

I'm worse at playing Chess. :P

I'm sure Grant and I could throw up a TDN chess tournament setup of some sort for you guys, if you ever felt like it. :P

Ooh la la! A chess tournament! I've played chess before and I know which pieces go where, but thats about it. :P

About the basketball thing, I am actually not bad! We were playing in gym, and at least 5 kids and the gym teacher asked me which team I play basketball for out of school! :laughingsmiley: Basketball isnt my sport though. I swim. b)

I swim too! Poorly. xD My disease has always kept me off most physical sports.

That said, I'm pretty useless at chess too. :P

If you guys want, we could all just play chess against each other by posting our moves.

For example, if I were to go first, I could just type e2-e4, which would be just moving up the king-side pawn. Y'know, basically standard chess notation.

I actually can't swim, but I'm sure I've said that before :laughingsmiley:

Except that would be technically inelegant, and as a programmer I can't stand technical inelegance. :P

Edit: The chess moves, I mean, not the swimming. xD

My height was a disadvantage in bball for me. I was 5'4 when I was 15. And I was on basketball teams, when I was 11-12. So who knows how tall I was then. I was actually a forward in grade school. But by 6th grade, I would have been a guard. My sister was called the Jolly Green Giant through most of school, because she was tall very early.

I used to taking swimming lessons when I was little. I stopped when I moved up to the highest group and all that was left was the diving class.

I used to take some swimming lessons, but mainly I've stayed in practice myself over the years. It's one of the few exercises that can help me to stave off the arthritis without overexerting myself. :yes:

I'm waaaaay too short to play basketball though. xD

I took a few swimming lessons when I was just a very very little kid. Then, when I went for more swimming lessons in my early teens, I was not allowed to progress very far because of my ears. My ears don't pressurize properly. Especially the right one. It's a result of many, many ear infections from the time I was a baby until the time I was 13. My right ear drum also perforated twice, once when I was ten, and once when I was eleven, both over winter breaks. (So both years I missed out on most of my Christmas break, and one or two weeks of school...)

It sucks, but I know I can swim well enough to save my life if I had to. Though maybe not in rough or fast moving water (I live by a lake.. so the water doesn't have much of a current, on the top anyway, and it's not really capable of getting all that rough). So I don't feel too badly about it.

I'm getting a swimming pass to go to my local pool every day for the next few months. It's good for my knees, and the pool in my back yard is only open in the summer.

You have a pool in your back yard? xD I kinda wish we had one here - unfortunately it's not possible to build one, 'cos our septic tank is in the way.

Awesome. :) I've never swum in salt water before - is there much difference from chlorine pools?

All right - I'll be sure to bring that up if we're ever choosing a new pool. :yes: I presume the one downside would be corrosion on metallic stuff?

Have you never swum (? is that the right word? swam? :eh: ) in salt water at all or just a salt water pool? I like at the ocean so swimming in the ocean is my personal favorite but I have to agree salt water pools are very nice. And I don't think there are really that many metallic part of a pool, most are plastic aren't they? And well, quite frankly, salt water pools don't seem to be all that salty.

Ohh okay. Thank you Livvy. :D (Congrats!)

I didn't even know they had salt water pools. (Except on cruise ships, for easy emptying in storms and such.) But my husband's parents in Florida, have a salt water pool in their backyard.

Theo is 151 cm, or approximately a couple inches shorter than me, putting him at about 5' flat. :yes:

Yep, and I'm at the end of my growth spurt. So yeah. xD

Have you never swum (? is that the right word? swam? :eh: ) in salt water at all or just a salt water pool? I like at the ocean so swimming in the ocean is my personal favorite but I have to agree salt water pools are very nice. And I don't think there are really that many metallic part of a pool, most are plastic aren't they? And well, quite frankly, salt water pools don't seem to be all that salty.

I've only been swimming in chlorine pools and the occasional river so far - I'm not strong enough to handle myself in the ocean unfortunately. :( Ah well.

And I'm mainly concerned about corrosive effects on watches and stuff. :yes: But I don't usually wear them when swimming anyway.