Advertisements

granny63020

I looked to see if I could find a more appropriate place to post this and I didn't find anything so if there is another place please move the message. I'm am posting to ask if anyone else has noticed an increase, a big increase in the amount of ad's. As soon as I open this area of TDN I have a pop up message. As soon as I delete that one another drops from the top or rises from the bottom. When I move from one topic to the next there seems to be several ad's popping up during the  move. It is different than it was and I don't know why but the increase in ad's is horrible. Why has this happened? Is there a way to stop it? I know things are different I just don't know what to do about it. Thanks for any suggestions.

8 hours ago, granny63020 said:

I looked to see if I could find a more appropriate place to post this and I didn't find anything so if there is another place please move the message. I'm am posting to ask if anyone else has noticed an increase, a big increase in the amount of ad's. As soon as I open this area of TDN I have a pop up message. As soon as I delete that one another drops from the top or rises from the bottom. When I move from one topic to the next there seems to be several ad's popping up during the  move. It is different than it was and I don't know why but the increase in ad's is horrible. Why has this happened? Is there a way to stop it? I know things are different I just don't know what to do about it. Thanks for any suggestions.

Do you know how to screenshot? If so, please send in a screenshot and Ian can take a look. Also, it would be helpful to know what page or pages this is happening to you on. I tried seeing it on my end but I think my antivirus is blocking them. It might be one of the ad partners that is being obtrusive again. It happens from time to time. After sending your screenshot, you can turn on an ad-blocker so you can use the site without the annoying ads until it gets resolved. Feel free to send me a PM if you like. 🙂

59 minutes ago, Mouseykins said:

Do you know how to screenshot?

There was a message pop up before I posted that message but it wouldn't allow a Screen shot. I will try on the next one. All of this is coming from  here,TDN. As far as a virus, I called Geek Squad had them run and analyze a computer scan they found nothing so I called them again because it continued to happen  They came to the house and worked on it and told me no virus. I called a 3rd time and they are coming out again on Nov 1.  I only posted after the 1st couple of weeks not being able to fix it from my end thinking that maybe TDN had increased the ads they have. Thanks for replying and I will screenshot if possible.

It just happened again as I tried to move to another topic in Random Events. I clicked that topic and was directed to a 1/2 page ad. As I tried to screen shot it was not an option and when I thought I would see if copy was available it went away and took me to the Random Event page that I was trying to access.

I would recommend an ad-blocker! Maybe you can ask Geek Squad to install one for you? I, personally like "ublock origin" most as ad-blocker, but any will be fine.

Also, do you happen to remember what the advertisements are about? Is is always about the same? Maybe that way we can figure out which partner might be obtrusive and Ian can could look into it.

I don't know if this will work but I was clicking to read a posted message on TDN and a full page ad popped up that I couldn't SS but I copies the link from my address bar. I also tried to click on copy from the middle of the ad. I do not know which is what but below is what I captured. Then of course I was directed back to TDN

https://www.temu.com/subject/n3/dpacommon-a-psurl.html?

1 hour ago, Duma said:

Also, do you happen to remember what the advertisements are about? Is is always about the same? Maybe that way we can figure out which partner might be obtrusive and Ian can could look into it.

Duma, up until this started I had no problems. I would rather get rid of the problem inside of trying to put a patch over it. I have had problems in the past with ad blockers. Oh and no, they are different ads. They rotate in and out and I have seen the same ad more than once but it doesn't seen to be the same one over and over. I am going to copy the address bar from now on because it seems I can not copy or SS the ad. I don't know why but maybe copying the address bar will help identify the problem?

Yes, it might. I see that the first one if from Temu.

Hopefully it can be sorted out fast for you! I would be super annoyed if it kept happening.

If you're using windows, you can also use the snipping tool to get screenshots.  (unless microsoft has removed it)  Search for snipping tool in the search bar, and it'll give you a little thing with a box that says "new"! on the side.  You can drag it to select a portion, unless the ad goes away really quickly.  You can also hit the windows key+r, then snippingtool (no space) in the run box to open it.  Unless they're closing, I've yet to run across anything that the snipping tool won't let me grab.

The second I clicked TDN I got a 1/2 page ad. I copied the link in the address bar but it isn't displying instead what you see is not what it was. UGH!

I just came back and got another full page ad

I did not have this as a screen shot. I promise you it is not the link I copied in my address bar. The one posted above this one is also not something I copied from the address bar. They are actual advertisements. and now I am going crazy! I can only say I am sorry because it isn't what I see or what I copied.

2 hours ago, granny63020 said:

I just came back and got another full page ad

I did not have this as a screen shot. I promise you it is not the link I copied in my address bar. The one posted above this one is also not something I copied from the address bar. They are actual advertisements. and now I am going crazy! I can only say I am sorry because it isn't what I see or what I copied.

It's kind of a pain, but if it's not too much trouble you could also take a photo or video from your phone of your computer screen, then either upload it from your phone here or text/email it to your computer to upload.

I second installing an ad-blocker, maybe a different one from the past one you use that caused issues, but totally understood if you're not comfy with that. If you use Chrome, it's super easy and as long as you keep it up to date it should work well, or de-install/re-install when you have issues.

Since I was unable to screen shot any of the ads I have been writing/keeping track of where they come from. I have several 1/2 pages ads coming from Temu, Temu is also displaying whole page ads.  I have some pop ups from unidentified that have no name I can find that just says *click here* those take up the middle of the page. I won't click them and X them out.  These ads pop up if I am looking at apage on TDN and I switch topics/pages. Always an ad pop up between the pages no matter how many pages I look at. Also when I change pages I get a drop down or pop up that goes across the entire bottom or top of the page, even with the ads popping up. Those seem to come from Temu as well. The ones across the bottom or top do have a tab at the left side of the pop up with an arrow so I can close it. To be clear, I have never opened a Temu page, I have never purchased a Temu item. I didn't know what it was until it started popping up here.  I clicked off the tiny arrow and it said *Personalize ads on this site* and I turned off the option. I don't think this will matter and it will cause another ad to pop up, well see I guess. I have no idea why this started happening or how to stop it. I've never had this problem on TDN so I'm willing to try whatever you say to get rid of it but not putting any download stuff like ad blockers that was mentioned. I haven't used them before and I don't want to start now.

I just got another pop up middle of the page, *View PDF Manuals*  gave me an option at the bottom of the ad to Open or close both options surrounded with a box.

Another pop up across the bottom since I closed the TEMU ad and it says*Explore Satellite Maps - Enter Your Location then a blue box with the word open  / both of these poppped up as I was moving between topics.

Enter Your Location to Quickly Access Satellite Maps, 3D Maps & Street View. mapsassist.com/
satellite-maps/free