Happy 35th Anniversary to the NES!

Tedhaun

On October 18th of 1985, the western equivalent of Nintendo's Famicom and known savior of the video game crash of the 1980s, the Nintendo Entertainment System (or NES for short), was released in North America. This October 18th marks the 35th anniversary of the beloved 8-bit powerhouse that revolutionized video gaming for many years to come.

ASjEY.png

Do you have any fond memories of the original NES back in your youth? Are there any NES games you've enjoyed from the console's heyday or even today? Any NES accessories or other NES-related memorabilia you own? Feel free to share and discuss if you choose to do so.

Now get on out there and play some games of Super Mario Bros., The Legend of Zelda, Metroid, and any other NES games you know and love from the console's library and also watch The Wizard if you want as a way to celebrate the NES's 35th anniversary.

Now you're playing with power, Nintendo Power!

I have never played on one. 😮

What a deprived childhood, right? Lol. Nothing in the way of video gaming until I reached adulthood. Wait, no, that's a lie; I stayed at a class mate's house once and we played Duck... Hunt? on their... Commodore, maybe?

Hmm, looking online, it wasn't Duck Hunt, it was more basic. More basic!? xDDD It was though, as far as I remember, but as my introduction to computers it was mind-blowing ofc!

*investigates further*

AHA!

image.png.b64c6b507a82162b116cd534c613eda4.png There we go!

I sold my NES a while back, as the games didn't draw me in enough, but it single-handedly saved the crashing video game market. Also, it paved the way for consoles like the Switch, and even the Playstation. So it has my respect.

I played the NES as a very small child - largely Mario and yes, Duck Hunt! I have fond memories to this day of me and my brother co-opting one of dads friends to get us to the hardest Mario levels, promptly dying and getting him to do it again. Until dad rescued him and then we were left to our own ineptitude.

I really got into gaming with the SNES, and have many memories of sole play gaming and me and my brother trying to kill each other on Star Wars Pod Racer... I so wish they’d remaster that game. It’s the only racing game I truly enjoyed!

But every time I think of Mario, I think of Colin and his unbelievable patience with two hyperactive small people. So his memory lives on!

On 10/18/2020 at 1:58 PM, jellysundae said:

I have never played on one. 😮

What a deprived childhood, right? Lol. Nothing in the way of video gaming until I reached adulthood. Wait, no, that's a lie; I stayed at a class mate's house once and we played Duck... Hunt? on their... Commodore, maybe?

Hmm, looking online, it wasn't Duck Hunt, it was more basic. More basic!? xDDD It was though, as far as I remember, but as my introduction to computers it was mind-blowing ofc!

*investigates further*

AHA!

image.png.b64c6b507a82162b116cd534c613eda4.png There we go!

You were right first time. Duck (my phone nearly got me in trouble with auto correct!) Hunt is a thing and I was addicted to it as a small ‘un!

image.jpeg.99d61e13929429074ab4e51d70ca2aec.jpeg

• 4 months later...

The NES was my 3rd gaming system.  My first was Pong. My second was an Atari 7800.  My third was a NES with Zelda.  It became my favorite Nintendo series.