Getting published in The Neopian Times

Lothlaurien

Hi! I'm just getting back into playing Neopets after a fairly long absence and I've been trying to collect as many avatars as I can. I really love both the Neopian Times ones and since the official writing board seemed pretty dead I was wondering if anyone here had any advice/tips on getting published? Mainly how difficult it is, whether it makes a difference what you write (articles, stories etc.), the best time to submit and that sort of thing. Or is there perhaps a fairly up-to-date guide somewhere I can take a look at?

I've been published a few times now, hoping to get 10 publications for the avatar within the year! I've never had a submission rejected, although I have had one held for several issues before it was published. They accept all types of articles - listicles, quizzes, column-styles, reports, opinion pieces, just about anything. I'm not sure about getting stories published, but I believe it's easiest to get one published when there aren't too many active series. It's a little harder to get published now, because the NT doesn't seem to come out consistently anymore, but don't let that discourage you! The plus there is that it doesn't seem to matter anymore when you submit, as all submissions appear to be considered at one time rather than singularly as they roll in.

• When you have an article idea, search up the keywords relating to it in the Neopian Times search box. Make sure your article hasn't already been written! They aren't likely to publish an article on a specific topic that's already been written about, unless lots has changed since the previous article was published.
  • Ensure your article is written in the tone of Neopets culture. Articles shouldn't talk about Neopets as though it's an online game, but rather as though you are a citizen of Neopia, caring for your pets within that world, culture and lore.
  • Pay attention to your tone. Read out loud what you've written - if it feels awkward, it probably is. Try to write the words you would speak out loud if you were explaining your topic to someone verbally. 
  • Proper grammar and spelling are a must. Run your article through an error catcher, or if you're hearing, try listening to it through Google translate by copying and pasting it into the translation box and hitting the speaker - I'm deaf, but I've been told a lot of hearing people find this to be a great way to notice their errors.

I hope this helps! 🙂

I've never tried to submit anything for the Neopian Times, but while reading this thread I thought of a story that doesn't look like it's been done. For the avatar, does it have to be an article specifically, or does just being published 10 times count?

7 hours ago, Sciurus carolinensis said:

I've never tried to submit anything for the Neopian Times, but while reading this thread I thought of a story that doesn't look like it's been done. For the avatar, does it have to be an article specifically, or does just being published 10 times count?

I believe anything outside of the editorial counts. Articles, comics, stories...

I've only been published once and it took a few tries; I just kept submitting until it was accepted.

Thank you, @cottontailcat! That's all really helpful. I definitely wouldn't have thought of searching past issues to see what's already been written about. Must be quite hard to come up with completely new stuff, considering how long it's been going!

I was also wondering that about the avatars so thank you as well, @Wildbreeze!

• 1 month later...

Also keep an eye on the current issues. I got accepted twice in the past and once was because I focused on a particular issue linked to the site plot going on at the time. But if you look at what is published at any time, it tends to link to events or news if there is any - another example would be the news that Fyora was stepping down as Faerie Queen; near enough the entire Times issue was dedicated to stories about Fyora or the faeries. So if something is announced and it sparks an idea in your head, jump on it!

I keep meaning to give it another shot now I'm active again, but that means getting my backside in gear and actually writing something.