Official Neopets down/having issues board

Spritzie

Maybe TNT could start lessening their content

1 Scrap N.C Mall

2 Refrain from events like the games galore that put a load on their website and servers if it means that it interferes even obtaining the normal amount of game points

They're really not going to scrap the NC Mall. If they did it would place somewhere in-between conversions and new YYB for rage.

Still loading very slowly for me. I can load a few pages in chinese but not much at all :|

It's terribly slow for me, too. It took me a while to log in after I was logged out, and I can't access the boards. I hope I'm not locked out of my Habitarium … :(

ETA: I can load Habitarium, but clicking on the gems doesn't register. I think I'm going to leave the tab open, just in case …

They're really not going to scrap the NC Mall. If they did it would place somewhere in-between conversions and new YYB for rage.

Still loading very slowly for me. I can load a few pages in chinese but not much at all :|

there's no way they'd scrap it because it makes them money. wouldn't it be lovely if they just made all the NC wearables buyable with NP and abolished NC entirely?! ;p

loading painfully slow for me, I've given up for now

I managed to get my bank interest, go to the healing springs, check the news, and zap my pet and petpet. I'm done for now I think. It's just too slow and I'd prefer to get on with other things and come back to it when it's normal. On the positive side though, what with several people having issues we know it's not our own end like I first assumed so everything else (like this forum) is working fine. :)

It's not like they planned for this to happen. It's a giant website with loads of traffic, which will probably be heightened due to 5x scores. Glitches are bound to happen at any time.

tl:dr: If you really care about Neopets, read my post please.

Obviously they don't want it to happen. It costs them money. Regardless, Viacom is a multi-billion dollar company. $14.9 billion in revenue last year with over $2.1 billion made in pure profit. Neopets is currently the 5,733rd ranked site on the internet, usually somewhere in the 4-8K range. That's way too much money for a company to make and not be able to keep a site with that kind of traffic online. They don't seem to want to spend the money it would take to make the site more reliable. And no, it's not reliable. This happens all the time. Glitches? Indeed. All over the site, all the time. Some which have existed for years. As a premium member that actually pays money, it's even more frustrating. I'm quite sure there is a rise in traffic due to the "Scores Galore" weekend, and if I know that, surely they should. Plus it's not like this is the first time they've done it, so I'm sure they're aware.

And customer service? Forget it. I've never had a ticket replied to or had any questions answered. Even the premium support is basically nonexistent. I even had an incident where a man (predator) sent my young daughter very unsettling neomails. It was like pulling teeth to get this guy frozen and get the legal ball rolling. Of course she too lost her account that she'd worked so hard on for years even though she did nothing wrong. Only thing I asked the legal team for was to please inform me as to how the legal aspects were going... finding the person, charging and prosecuting them, etc. Of course I never heard anything further. Seems crazy that as a parent I had absolutely no recourse but to depend on Viacom to do something. I had no way to go after this guy on my own and make sure he was brought to justice. He made new accounts as well. Hopefully they were all banned, but who knows? He could very well still be on there somewhere. His wife's account is still active. His wife who wouldn't believe me even when I sent her screenshots of the neomails.

Google, Facebook, Yahoo, YouTube, Amazon all have sites way more busy than Neopets and I have never seen any of them down. The last month statistics are available (March 2012) Google.com had 176,255,305 unique monthly visitors. Neopets had 765,170. The sad thing is that number has been steadily going down for years. Perhaps there is a reason for that? I personally ran a website consistently ranked in the top 40K that contained no ads and was paid for out of my own pocket and yet my uptime was a lot better than Neo's. Same thing at another site where I was the forum administrator. That site was consistently in the top 2K. Also, with both sites we had shared offsite hosting. We sure didn't have our own data centers.

I understand you want to take up for the site as you obviously love it, as do I, but more people really need to say something instead of always giving them a free pass. Constructive criticism is good. In short the site needs a massive overhaul. The coding is clearly in bad need of optimization. The many constant, nagging glitches need to be fixed. Obviously when needing to report such abhorrent behaviors as the one I listed above the process should be much easier and there should be follow ups. Customer service needs a vast improvement. Perhaps they need to hire a large amount of temporary workers to help do the job. Seems like they need to hire more people period. In general it seems the site is maintained, ran and updated by a skeleton crew. If they'd need to take the site down for a few days or even a week, to overhaul it, I'm all for it. Unfortunately that's not likely to happen. Corporations tend to be very short-sighted. They only think about how much money shutting the site down would cost them. How much it would cost to bring temporary coders and programmers on board. The extra money they'd have to spend to keep some more customer service people, coders and programmers on staff permanently. They don't think about the fact that it would bring people back to the site over time. More people to read ads, more to sign up for premium, more to buy neocash. Instead of the number of people visiting dwindling, it would actually increase. In the long run, they'd make their money back and then some. Not only that, but the players, old and new, would be much happier. Even TDN would benefit as more people would be here as well!

Neopets has been dying for years. It may not be that apparent to some, but the statistics do not lie. It is something that saddens me greatly. It is something I want to see change. Please, if you truly care about the site do something to try to encourage Viacom to invest in the site as they should. Email them, write them, call them, whatever. Heck, make a Youtube video and address it to them. I know there are others that share my feelings. However, the voices of a few can be easy to ignore, but the voices of hundreds, even thousands can be quite attention grabbing.

Sorry for the novel. I just needed to get that off my chest.

tl;dr: If you really care about Neopets, read my post please.

There we go, i opened like 12 pages in the last few hours, TNT really need to work on this, its getting anoying

Restocking in chinese now, chinese works fine.

I was cursing for like 5 minutes because of the slooow loading, then when it finally loaded the page I turned language to chinese and guess what? It works perfectly. So thanks Lohden :)

tl:dr: If you really care about Neopets, read my post please.

Obviously they don't want it to happen. It costs them money. Regardless, Viacom is a multi-billion dollar company. $14.9 billion in revenue last year with over $2.1 billion made in pure profit. Neopets is currently the 5,733rd ranked site on the internet, usually somewhere in the 4-8K range. That's way too much money for a company to make and not be able to keep a site with that kind of traffic online. They don't seem to want to spend the money it would take to make the site more reliable. And no, it's not reliable. This happens all the time. Glitches? Indeed. All over the site, all the time. Some which have existed for years. As a premium member that actually pays money, it's even more frustrating. I'm quite sure there is a rise in traffic due to the "Scores Galore" weekend, and if I know that, surely they should. Plus it's not like this is the first time they've done it, so I'm sure they're aware.

And customer service? Forget it. I've never had a ticket replied to or had any questions answered. Even the premium support is basically nonexistent. I even had an incident where a man (predator) sent my young daughter very unsettling neomails. It was like pulling teeth to get this guy frozen and get the legal ball rolling. Of course she too lost her account that she'd worked so hard on for years even though she did nothing wrong. Only thing I asked the legal team for was to please inform me as to how the legal aspects were going... finding the person, charging and prosecuting them, etc. Of course I never heard anything further. Seems crazy that as a parent I had absolutely no recourse but to depend on Viacom to do something. I had no way to go after this guy on my own and make sure he was brought to justice. He made new accounts as well. Hopefully they were all banned, but who knows? He could very well still be on there somewhere. His wife's account is still active. His wife who wouldn't believe me even when I sent her screenshots of the neomails.

Google, Facebook, Yahoo, YouTube, Amazon all have sites way more busy than Neopets and I have never seen any of them down. The last month statistics are available (March 2012) Google.com had 176,255,305 unique monthly visitors. Neopets had 765,170. The sad thing is that number has been steadily going down for years. Perhaps there is a reason for that? I personally ran a website consistently ranked in the top 40K that contained no ads and was paid for out of my own pocket and yet my uptime was a lot better than Neo's. Same thing at another site where I was the forum administrator. That site was consistently in the top 2K. Also, with both sites we had shared offsite hosting. We sure didn't have our own data centers.

I understand you want to take up for the site as you obviously love it, as do I, but more people really need to say something instead of always giving them a free pass. Constructive criticism is good. In short the site needs a massive overhaul. The coding is clearly in bad need of optimization. The many constant, nagging glitches need to be fixed. Obviously when needing to report such abhorrent behaviors as the one I listed above the process should be much easier and there should be follow ups. Customer service needs a vast improvement. Perhaps they need to hire a large amount of temporary workers to help do the job. Seems like they need to hire more people period. In general it seems the site is maintained, ran and updated by a skeleton crew. If they'd need to take the site down for a few days or even a week, to overhaul it, I'm all for it. Unfortunately that's not likely to happen. Corporations tend to be very short-sighted. They only think about how much money shutting the site down would cost them. How much it would cost to bring temporary coders and programmers on board. The extra money they'd have to spend to keep some more customer service people, coders and programmers on staff permanently. They don't think about the fact that it would bring people back to the site over time. More people to read ads, more to sign up for premium, more to buy neocash. Instead of the number of people visiting dwindling, it would actually increase. In the long run, they'd make their money back and then some. Not only that, but the players, old and new, would be much happier. Even TDN would benefit as more people would be here as well!

Neopets has been dying for years. It may not be that apparent to some, but the statistics do not lie. It is something that saddens me greatly. It is something I want to see change. Please, if you truly care about the site do something to try to encourage Viacom to invest in the site as they should. Email them, write them, call them, whatever. Heck, make a Youtube video and address it to them. I know there are others that share my feelings. However, the voices of a few can be easy to ignore, but the voices of hundreds, even thousands can be quite attention grabbing.

Sorry for the novel. I just needed to get that off my chest.

tl;dr: If you really care about Neopets, read my post please.

this was a really, really good post lol. everyone should read it

Sloooow... It's a shame that we have to go to Chineese to be able to do something...

At least I'm having fun with google translate :laughingsmiley:

My Yurble, in Catalan translated from the chineese version is a "Your bread"...

this was a really, really good post lol. everyone should read it

Oh boy! This means more hilarious translations for today!

And I agree with rtr75, those website have been far bigger and busier, but they hardly ever go down.

Thank you both. Keiwo, maybe you can split my post off, start a new thread and sticky it? Heehee ;). Assuming you can split, I'm not familar with IP's forum software. I know vBulletin inside and out though! Of course I don't really expect that, but I really wish more people could hear my message. It's hard to find an outlet. I can't really post it on the neoboards can I?

I understand that fan sites like TDN don't want to be negative towards the sites they exist for, but at some point all the fan sites need to think about why they exist. Don't they all want the site they support to thrive? I know firsthand that it costs some money to keep a site like TDN running. The more visitors Neo gets, the more you get here. It's time that all the fan sites quit pretending that there aren't problems with Neopets that need to be addressed. Instead of burying our heads in the sand maybe TDN, JN, SN. PPT and others could come together and let Viacom know how passionate we are all about the site and tell them what they need to do to fix things. I don't think things will improve if we don't.

By the way, I just wanted to say that I've been a visitor of this site for years. I have a habit of becoming a bit obssessive with my internet forums so I resist as long as I can before registering. I always have three tabs open on my browser; my portal, habitarium and the TDN dailies page.

Additionally, who thinks the words that trigger auto warnings need to go away? At least I'm assuming it's automatic. If an actual human read it I don't think they'd have a problem. I got a warning for saying "I think I've drunk a whole two-liter of Coke today." in a Neomail. The reason was talking about drugs and alcohol. Seriously?

Im getting rid of doing things in chinese, its almost 8 hours slow now, they really need to fix it fast

Yeah I did that for awhile, then I decided it wasn't worth the trouble. As far as being fixed fast... well it's been like this for at least 7-8 hours that I know of. It would make sense to fix it fast as visitors/page views = $$$ but it seems that there is no one manning the ship as it's the weekend. That or it's a real serious problem.

Are they even aware?

Woo, fixed!!!!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Neomysterion) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Make sure your posts are at 7 words or more.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Thanks for letting me know Dynohawk. I'm very pleased that Neopets is back in working order, but still saddened that I can't play the Espellibox due to the NC Mall being down. Hopefully, TNT will get at it pretty soon...

The site seems to be loading normally now :laughingsmiley:

However there are a few glitches that weren't there before. But hey, I'm not gonna complain - now I can run habi overnight and get some 5x scores in before I go to bed :thumbsup:

I'm glad it's back up! Took way too long if you ask me. :P

While I agree with rtr75 on pretty much everything, I do want to point out that getting temp employees that can instantly work on existing coding and revamping it properly is nowhere near as easy as it sounds. You've had your own site(s), but have you ever started working for a company with a specific request in mind where you have to work with coding someone else wrote? It's a nightmare, let me tell you that from experience. Not to mention that it's a multi-team project, each section of the site would require a different team to work on it, requiring more efficient communication etc. etc. etc.... There's so much involved it's not even funny anymore.

That's not to say you're not right with the idea, but understand that it's a dang tough job to do considering not only the amount of data, but also the amount of employees who all need to be on a single line and follow company policies at the same time! It's never going to be just a 'temp job', not the coding part unfortunately. :(

Especially when you are dealing with a site that is popular with children, there must be some strict policies when working on the site. Employees must go through a background check and have a lot of training, I'd imagine

Working in a similar-ish industry, I can also say, that it doesn't matter how well prepared you are, you add something new, you think it's all going to work and then something happens, thing is you don't know what's happened or why, which bit of code is messing up another bit of code, and it's a bit like a big ball of string that you have to unravel, if you knew why it was doing it, it would never have happened in the first place, so I'm sure they want to get it up as quickly as possible, but until they unravel that big ball of string, they can't. No matter how big your company is, you can rest assured that the bit that only one person coded/wrote/has the keys for/painted/made the phone call ;) is the bit that goes down whilst they're on 2 weeks leave, it's Murphy's Law. :)

I would imagine some, if not all of the problems of late, are due to trying to "unravel" premium, and "restitch" it, in the new way, new code to add, old code to remove, from the whole site.

There is of course another possibility, if Neopets is not a big earner for Viacom, maybe they're just not too fussed, they will obviously concentrate on the bits that make them the big bucks, not something we as Neopetters wish to consider, but obviously for them as a Company, it goes without saying.

I'm glad it's back up! Took way too long if you ask me. :P

While I agree with rtr75 on pretty much everything, I do want to point out that getting temp employees that can instantly work on existing coding and revamping it properly is nowhere near as easy as it sounds. You've had your own site(s), but have you ever started working for a company with a specific request in mind where you have to work with coding someone else wrote? It's a nightmare, let me tell you that from experience. Not to mention that it's a multi-team project, each section of the site would require a different team to work on it, requiring more efficient communication etc. etc. etc.... There's so much involved it's not even funny anymore.

That's not to say you're not right with the idea, but understand that it's a dang tough job to do considering not only the amount of data, but also the amount of employees who all need to be on a single line and follow company policies at the same time! It's never going to be just a 'temp job', not the coding part unfortunately. :(

Oh no doubt. I totally agree with you. It'd be hard to get everybody on the same page for an undertaking of that size especially when many of them are temp workers. I feel they could pull it off though. This is the same company that created MTV! That might not mean much now, but many years ago it sure did.

Working in a similar-ish industry, I can also say, that it doesn't matter how well prepared you are, you add something new, you think it's all going to work and then something happens, thing is you don't know what's happened or why, which bit of code is messing up another bit of code, and it's a bit like a big ball of string that you have to unravel, if you knew why it was doing it, it would never have happened in the first place, so I'm sure they want to get it up as quickly as possible, but until they unravel that big ball of string, they can't. No matter how big your company is, you can rest assured that the bit that only one person coded/wrote/has the keys for/painted/made the phone call ;) is the bit that goes down whilst they're on 2 weeks leave, it's Murphy's Law. :)

I would imagine some, if not all of the problems of late, are due to trying to "unravel" premium, and "restitch" it, in the new way, new code to add, old code to remove, from the whole site.

There is of course another possibility, if Neopets is not a big earner for Viacom, maybe they're just not too fussed, they will obviously concentrate on the bits that make them the big bucks, not something we as Neopetters wish to consider, but obviously for them as a Company, it goes without saying.

Yeah, all the reworking of premium could've had something to do with it. I also agree with you about being a big earner. The sad thing is though, it could be so much more. That's what really depresses me. It's like they don't see the potential that I'm sure we all do.

I also think that a lot of the site's problems stem from them adding things on top of already sketchy coding. So many things have been changed or added the last 5 years. Without regular optimization, that's going to wreak havoc on your databases. You don't put in new granite counter tops when the sink is full of dirty dishes.

Yes you're totally right, coding has changed so much, browsers change continuously it must be a HUGE job to try and update constantly, and like you, I think it's a marvellous site and deserves the love, sometimes big companies like Viacom, buy littler companies like Neopets not because they really like them, but because they don't want them to be competition, which is sad, it's what big supermarkets do too :( , good analogy with the kitchen too!