what do you think about the leaked pics online ?

Angeló

Ah yes, nothing like sexual perversion and invasion of privacy in the morning!

It's gross. Nothing is safe online but that doesn't mean anyone has any right to someone elses private information.

If I see one "they shouldn't take nude photos" comment... you better run! :P

Ah yes, nothing like sexual perversion and invasion of privacy in the morning!

It's gross. Nothing is safe online but that doesn't mean anyone has any right to someone elses private information.

If I see one "they shouldn't take nude photos" comment... you better run! :P

Exactly. It's like saying "well she shouldn't have been wearing something like that, she was asking for it".

It's victim blaming, it defends the one who committed the crime, it tells women their bodies are just objects and toys for men to play with, and it's disgusting. The end.

a few days ago 200 celebrity pics were leaked from the iCloud .. what do you think about that ?? are we really safe online ?? :O

I think this is a circumstance to introspectively refine some behaviors as well as provide another lesson for traversing this medium of communication that is not another life detached from reality, but a part of life in the avenues of our reality.

I think Alexandra Daddario's tweet ( http://i.imgur.com/SBzq2D3.png ) is refreshing and indirectly highlights her personal responsibility where she takes ownership of what her personhood will encounter and minimizing the availability of such exploits ... you have to prepare yourself, you set the scene, choose the content .... don't expect the greater sum or "other consciousness" to serve you... you serve you, before others subsidize and define you.

Amazing.

As with all property... I think the owner has the responsibility to see it sail off in whatever potential the owner sees appropriate. ... just as with people who choose to include children with media and those who don't... you can't let criminality/fear/agenda take the wheel of your choices and prerogatives of free will and expression for YOU ...

I believe nothing on the internet is safe, no matter how many firewalls, scans or programs you have to make your self think you are protected. If you have internet connection, no files you have on your PC are safe, be it you're a random victim or you really ticked off a hacker.

Not sure where I read it, but the internet is like a home; if you change in front of an open window people can still see you.

Honestly, having to ask "Are we really safe, online..." no we're not. We never were and we never will be because there is no such this as 100% privacy when we're on the internet.

But it wasn't all leaked because of Icloud, some were leaked through twitter, and honestly if you're dumb enough to put those photos on twitter (even under a privacy setting) you're a complete idiot, In which case, I wouldn't feel sorry for them.

I just don't understand how after there have been many previous leaks of various other celebrities, these woman still felt it was a good idea. It's absolutely ignorant to think "Well it's already happened to ______, ______ and _______ so I doubt it will happen to me." Especially when you're won of those girls that guys like to really gok over, like Ariana Grande, for example because, it's not a matter of IF someone hacks you, it's really a matter of WHEN.

For the most part, I do kinda feel sorry for them; because these are young women, who might have taken these photos in the privacy of their own home for their boyfriend, or husband. Let's get real though, every celeb that using social media, or who uses an Iphone is a target.

I wouldn't wish this upon anyone,

However, there's a part of me that doesn't feel bad for them at all.

I've had very strong feelings about this, because at this day and age, this shouldn't be happening. But the fact remains that nothing is every really safe online - if someone with malicious intent wants to get at you, they will.

It's an invasion of privacy, equal to someone looking into your bedroom window and taking the shots themselves. It makes me sick that the "hacker" tried to make money off them. These photos were never meant to go public, and no matter what some people might think, celebrities have the right to a private life in which these photos might exist. I also read somewhere that a lot of the photos were actually deleted, so whoever did the hacking went through a LOT of trouble to retrieve them.

Bad people will always exist in the world no matter what technology is available, it's a matter of trying to keep up with them in order to keep safe. I feel bad that celebrities are treated more like objects since they live in the public eye, and someone thinks it's alright to not respect their privacy. With the age of social media, it makes it doubly hard for them to keep private, although I've seen posts that are absolutely careless security-wise. While I am not rich or famous, I still try not to over share anything online and still keep a lot of things private. I don't have fans who will want to know what I ate for lunch, anyway :P

...and just another reason why I don't trust Apple :worried:

I'm all for not invading people's privacy, but unfortunately, the mass of humanity isn't like that. It's easy to say to not put up nude photos, but in reality, nothing at all is safe on the internet, nudes or not. It's already bad enough that nudity already equals sex, and the photos are embarrassing when they get leaked when nudes should be portrayed as natural, beautiful works of art in the first place. I feel sorry for those celebs, but quite frankly, everyday people's photos get leaked every day, the way I see it, if you see a nude of me on the internet (you won't, btw) well either you like it or you just move on.

People forget that what's online is on there forever, but at some point, some responsibility needs to happen. Even the stupid know the risk of consequences by putting nude or sexually degrading photos of themselves online. Personally, I've seen none of these celeb pics and have no desire to. Hopefully this will just die down soon, because clearly, there's a lot more important things to talk about.

I think this is a circumstance to introspectively refine some behaviors as well as provide another lesson for traversing this medium of communication that is not another life detached from reality, but a part of life in the avenues of our reality.

I think Alexandra Daddario's tweet ( http://i.imgur.com/SBzq2D3.png ) is refreshing and indirectly highlights her personal responsibility where she takes ownership of what her personhood will encounter and minimizing the availability of such exploits ... you have to prepare yourself, you set the scene, choose the content .... don't expect the greater sum or "other consciousness" to serve you... you serve you, before others subsidize and define you.

"refine" behaviors? you're implying that they did something wrong or that they let themselves get exploited. they did something in private that is not inherently wrong and then put it behind a virtual locked door which a criminal broke into. if a burglar broke into my house and stole my tv, i wouldn't have to apologize for having a tv.

and nightfall, i hope this dies down too but not for the same reason you do. it's an embarrassing situation for these people so of course it'd be better for others to not talk about it. but it's not just a piece of sordid celebrity gossip. it's an opportunity to talk about our conceptions of online privacy and the exploitation of women. those are pretty important issues to discuss.

"refine" behaviors? you're implying that they did something wrong or that they let themselves get exploited. they did something in private that is not inherently wrong and then put it behind a virtual locked door which a criminal broke into. if a burglar broke into my house and stole my tv, i wouldn't have to apologize for having a tv.

- As with many things that are criminal we always leave something to exploit ... how we prepare in our own context of life and idiosyncrasies does determine how the experience is managed short term and long term. I have not met anyone who felt they felt at any time no amount of danger or vulnerability, but having the physical and emotion strength from beneficial approaches identified by them/us internally is a great sense of "defense" as well as "offense".

- You never apologize, you learn, and fortify your life in the ways that makes sense to you ... no apologies would be given to the burglar ... but I would reflect on what I could proactively do ( without encroaching my choices on others living civilly ) to prevent the access/exploitation points in my own situation and overall life... whatever that was/is.

This article here: http://m.dailylife.com.au/news-and-views/dl-opinion/this-is-why-you-shouldnt-click-on-the-naked-photos-of-jennifer-lawrence-20140901-3eo6s.html

It says it all.

I feel so badly for these people, because at the end of the day they aren't just celebrities, they're people. And this sort of thing unjustly happens to a lot of other folk out there.

It angers me a LOT when people victim blame, i.e. say rubbish such as "they brought it on themselves by taking the photos in the first place". NO. It does NOT work that way - if a burglar broke into your house and stole something of value to you, regardless of how well it was hidden from sight (jewellery for example), then are people going to turn around to you and say "well it's your own fault for owning jewellery in the first place, and being the sort of person who wears jewellery"? Of course they're not - this is the SAME principle happening here.

Yeah, I've had one or two people comment about it on my Facebook. One of my brother's longtime friends made a status about the #rhymes-with-happening and one of his friends commented something along the lines of "Yeah it was good". Made me sick to my stomach. Just because these people are public figures does NOT mean that we own them. They have a right to privacy too.

But to answer your question, no, I don't think anyone is safe on the internet. Be very, very careful with what you post online and with your photos. Because there are some sick, twisted individuals who would love nothing more then to distribute that information without your consent and use it against you. And there are more of them out there than you realize.

It's all about having power over someone, and it's how these people get their jollies.

I feel really bad for the people who get there pictures leaked like that. When I was in college (before "the cloud") someone stole pictures from a friends lap top and sent them to a few people and the pictures just spread everywhere. It really ruined her life, prevented her from getting a commission in the Navy (yes the pictures went THAT far) That said, not to sound like a "victim shamer" I just think it's best to play it safe and never use a phone or computer to take personal pictures like that...I know it's hard these days to not have things accessible to the internet creepers out there...just a really bad lesson to have to learn if it happens to you.

Few people mentioned having a burgler come into your home and stealing an object. I really think that's an apples and oranges comparison (but still as close as it gets as far as comparisons go) With objects, we can insure them or just buy another one, can't insure or put a price on privacy!!! Always remember that and try to play it safe.

Exactly. It's like saying "well she shouldn't have been wearing something like that, she was asking for it".

It's victim blaming, it defends the one who committed the crime, it tells women their bodies are just objects and toys for men to play with, and it's disgusting. The end.

Exactly!! You are absolutely right. Kaley Cuoco shouldn't have been going to the bathroom, then she wouldn't have had to worry. LOL. Now really. You can't always say, "they shouldn't have been.........."

My grandmother, rest her soul, said to me, when I was nine years old, "boy those shorts are so short. And women wonder why they get -----." First of all, I was a 9 yo girl. Second, they were regular shorts that everyone wore in the late 70's early 80's, and third, nobody asks for THAT!! If Gramma could see the internet. She would be appalled. LOL

Few people mentioned having a burgler come into your home and stealing an object. I really think that's an apples and oranges comparison (but still as close as it gets as far as comparisons go) With objects, we can insure them or just buy another one, can't insure or put a price on privacy!!! Always remember that and try to play it safe.

we can bring it back to the realm of non-material goods and compare it to something else highly personal kept on a machine like letters or poetry not meant to be seen by others. the fact that nudes are automatically tied with sex makes it easy to proselytize about making smart decisions.

and yes, to avoid this ever happening, it's the safest choice just to not take nude photos. but the fact that people present this as a solution is further proof that we live in an oppressive society and that we've all internalized that oppression. women fear retribution from men (in the form of exposure), so we adjust our behavior accordingly to cope. it's something that all women do automatically because we don't want to get raped and murdered, but we can also acknowledge that it's a problematic aspect of society rather than resigning ourselves to it under the guise of "that's just the way things are."

btw, there are people on both sides of the argument here, but whether or not we're in agreement, i want to thank the tdn members who have contributed to the thread so far for making it possible to have a civilized discussion about these issues. i'm sure we've all seen how the rest of the internet has been handling it.

What do I think?

A) it is absolutely a massive invasion of privacy and if the ones guilty of doing it can be caught they ought be punished to the fullest extent of the law

B ) I have to admit that it amazes me that people still act surprised when such a thing happens. The reality is that you ought to assume that every. single. thing. you do/say/type/post/paste/upload on the internet might be seen by someone you don't want to see it (be it your mom, your kids, your spouse, the NSA, or a complete stranger).

In a perfect world we would have the security and privacy to be safe to post as we please...however, we do NOT live in a perfect world.

So, to wrap...

Am I disgusted by the invasion of their privacy? YES.

Am I surprised? NO

/shakes head