Why is there a limit for "like" button?

The_Warblers

Err? What are you talking about?

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

I've always wondered about this too ever since I noticed it.

Err? What are you talking about?

You get a limit of the amount of posts you can like on the TDN forums a day.

So people don't go around liking every post.

Our intention for activating the like button was for users to help recognize helpful or knowledgeable posts/users, as well has have another outlet for people to acknowledge they agree with a post to avoid spamming a topic with simple "i agree *random words to get around 7 word rule* or restating what another user has already said to show your support/agreement.

Since it also reflects a reputation system that can be seen on user profiles, there is a limit that has been added so it's not abused by giving a false sense of reputation (as that's partially why we added the feature.)

At any rate, if I recall correctly, the more posts you have, the more likes you are able to give per day. :)

Ah, well you just have to be careful with your likes then. Frankly I'd rather hear why people like what I'm saying. Like my thread on my database, lots of likes but not a single opinion or helpful hand.

Ah, well you just have to be careful with your likes then. Frankly I'd rather hear why people like what I'm saying. Like my thread on my database, lots of likes but not a single opinion or helpful hand.

I was about to like this, but I've run out of likes. ;)

I know what you mean though. It bothers me on other sites when people just click like and don't give me any feedback. Sometimes it's nice to have people actually converse with you, instead of just saying that what you said/did was nice.

A large amount of users were/are uncomfortable with a +/- reputation system, as it's often abused, so we went with a simple 1 like = 1 rep to help distinguish users who are actively helping our community.

The system is fine the way it is, imo. It's to acknowledge your support of a post/comment/user and that's what it is doing, which we take seriously, as should others. I don't foresee us changing how it is set up any time soon :)

I agree with Snwflk. I always get a warm fuzzy feeling when someone likes something of mine- if people had an unlimited number of likes, every post would get liked, and it wouldn't seem special.

There are lots of posts that I like because there is nothing I can really say to them- it converys my message just as well as a 'congrats' or 'hooray!' or 'I agree completely', or such. If a conversation can really be brought out of something, I don't think that people are not involving themselves in a conversation they would have had just because they can like things. You know?

EDIT: Okay, that last sentence doesn't really make a lot of sense. It's my bedtime! LOL