End of the world. Do you believe it?

Kaito Dark

I believe it in terms that it'll be war and humanity that'll eventually end civilization. :c There's something scary about dormant nuclear weapons, not to mention all the destruction we're causing to the earth... man, this topic kind of makes you think.

I believe that the Mayan Calendar ends on that date(because well...it does lol), But not the world. I believe the world will end eventually but no one knows when or how, It could be a giant asteroid, the sun exploding, a black hole, global warming, nuclear holocaust, war, a HUGE number of things, Probably man made things :\ lol. However I will take your money off your hands for Dec 21st 2012 for safekeeping ;)

Basically all of the end of the world "evidence" that I have heard of is nonsense..

It doesn't make sense to base everything off of the Mayans.. I mean, we don't even share even remotely similar cultural values or practices.. sure, they had a great calendar, but really? Just because theirs stopped doesn't really mean anything special :mellow:

• 3 weeks later...

In honesty if the world was going to end then it could happen at anytime, even before the time you've read this! :shiftyeyes_anim: Just because the calendar ends doesn't mean the world will. No one should have the power to predict that and I look forward to talking to you all on December 22nd, wishing you a very merry (almost) christmas! Live life to the full while you still can, instead of worrying about the world ending, even if you believe it will, go and enjoy the fresh air! :laughingsmiley: Go on. Turn the computer off. ENJOY! *turns computer off and enjoys fresh air* (no offence intended to any people who believe that it will end. I respect your opinion too :rolleyes_anim:)

Didn't the day on the Mayan Calendar already pass, because the Mayans didn't take leap years into account?

Absolutely and in addition to that (I can't remember exactly the details) but, when the Mayan calendar was translated into the Gregorian calendar that we use today there were a lot of discrepancies. So that if it was done properly, "the end of the world" will not occur on Dec.21, it should have happened like a year or two ago. And hey, guess what, we're still alive!

All I can say is "If the Mayans were so good at predicting things, why didn't they see the Spanish coming"

lol. They didn't even predict their demise.

I don't think that the world is actually going to end, I think it's all a bunch of rubbish. However, that isn't going to stop me from having an "end of the world party", just in case. ;)

Yea, I am pretty sure I'll have one in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know for sure if the Mayans explicitly said the world would end? Or did we just assume that? For all we know, the end of the world as we know it could be something good. But who knows. Maybe they predicted the very soon destruction of their civilization and wanted to troll the future inhabitants. :P

• 4 weeks later...

I really don't believe that the world will end in December. I do believe that the world will end. But I don't think that this will be in the near future. I have two theories. That maybe the destruction of the world and mankind will be brought by mankind (pollution, war, etc). And it is possible that the planet will just heal herself through another Ice Age. Ice Age (or rather Glacial Age), mankind can survive.

From Wikipedia:

"An ice age, or more precisely, a glacial age, is a period of long-term reduction in the temperature of the Earth's surface and atmosphere, resulting in the presence or expansion of continental ice sheets, polar ice sheets and alpine glaciers. Within a long-term ice age, individual pulses of cold climate are termed "glacial periods" (or alternatively "glacials" or "glaciations" or colloquially as "ice age"), and intermittent warm periods are called "interglacials". Glaciologically, ice age implies the presence of extensive ice sheets in the northern and southern hemispheres.[1] By this definition, we are still in the ice age that began 2.6 million years ago at the start of the Pleistocene epoch, because the Greenland and Antarctic ice sheets still exist.[2]

Maureen Raymo, William Ruddiman and others propose that the Tibetan and Colorado Plateaus are immense CO2 "scrubbers" with a capacity to remove enough CO2 from the global atmosphere to be a significant causal factor of the 40 million year Cenozoic Cooling trend. They further claim that approximately half of their uplift (and CO2 "scrubbing" capacity) occurred in the past 10 million years.[40][41]"

• 4 weeks later...

The best part is that the 21st is my brother's birthday. He plans to watch 2012 on that day.

I like your brother's idea!!

It's not going to happen. The Mayans didn't count leap years! And also I read somewhere that the ending is about the ending of the fourth race of humans and that the fifth race will arise. So I'm curious to see what the fifth race of humans is meant to look like :woot:

Don't you know, every day in the mayan baktun is represented by a different animal (many of wich are mythological), so the calander ends because they ran out of animals. :P

Seriously though, the guy that had been spouting about how the world was going to end on the 21st of december is the same guy that started all that Annuniki crap. It's all bogus hooplah. Archeologists have been disproving his nonsense for years now.

There is however one thing a few people mentioned. . . a lot of folks DO belive the world is going to end on the 21st. . . which makes me terrified of the human race and how they might react. Mass suicides, riots, raids even. . . there's no telling how everyone is going to flip out. That's what I'M afraid of anyways. Lord knows what happened with the Y2K freaks. Imagine that about 200x worse.

Do I believe the world is going to end? No. The world will continue to spin and be whether we are here or not. Even once the sun goes through it's star stages and eventually consumes the Earth and becomes space dust. That space dust is still Earth. Just in a different physical state and will continue to exist. Do I believe humanity will eventually end? Yes. Whether we all die off and/or evolve into some other manner of species eventually humanity as we know it today will end and/or be different. Do I believe it will happen on the 21st? No. Nobody can predict the evolvement of a species. It happens slowly over a very long period of time.

I'm just now seeing this topic. :P Anyways. I am usually not supersticious at all. Ever. Now that the day is drawing closer I'm still finding myself anxious about the whole thing. Then again, my anxiety makes me terrified of everything from thunderstorms to tornados. So if it even starts to rain that day I will probably freak out.

Oh gee, I'm going to need some xanax that day. lol. It totally sucks because I know I don't believe in it, I really don't. So why am I scared?

-_-

I'm just now seeing this topic. :P Anyways. I am usually not supersticious at all. Ever. Now that the day is drawing closer I'm still finding myself anxious about the whole thing. Then again, my anxiety makes me terrified of everything from thunderstorms to tornados. So if it even starts to rain that day I will probably freak out.

Oh gee, I'm going to need some xanax that day. lol. It totally sucks because I know I don't believe in it, I really don't. So why am I scared?

-_-

I know right? I use xanax as an as needed anxiety med and am gonna need it that day as well.