End of the world. Do you believe it?

Kaito Dark

Its 2012 already and the 21st of December is drawing closer.

Even as I type this, the seconds tick by, drawing us closer to the dreaded day.

Have you seen any signs of calamities lately? There was the Japan earthquake, Indonesia earthquake, etc. But will that affect all our lives?

So do you guys believe in the Mayans' prediction? Do you think we are really ALL gonna die?

~I don't. I don't think we're going to die. Maybe because I don't want to.

But in a way, it would be nice if we could all just die and never come back. Hakuna Matata! There'll be no more worries.

if it does, watch Australia, :P since we'll be one of the first to welcome the 21st of December :laughingsmiley:

i would be bummed. because its 4 days before Christmas, which means.. you bought Christmas presents (if you were organised) and didn't get to open any of your presents.

or could be really happy since you could be really disorganised and don't have to waste money on presents which won't get opened :P hehehe

also.. Boxing Day Sales <3 <3 <3 :laughingsmiley:

(and i also consider the Mayan Prediction thing.. err.. untrue. sorry to true believers :P )

What a lot of people don't know is that yes, the calendar is ending, but the Mayans made several calendars, and another one is supposed to start after this one ends. The end of this calendar symbolizes a change...from what I remember from the show I was watching is that with the next calendar, the poles are switching, not drastically of course, but slowly over time.

I believe the world might very well end.

I'm not superstitious. I don't believe that the Mayans predicted the end of the world. But the problem is, other people are superstitious and misinterpret things. There are a lot of very superstitious people in the world who find that day to be highly symbolic. And you know what? I wouldn't put it past these people to BRING ABOUT the end of the world.

I suspect there will be mass suicides. Mass attacks. Mass foraging for food. If it gets really bad, bombs.

That worries me far more than any prophecy.

Didn't the day on the Mayan Calendar already pass, because the Mayans didn't take leap years into account?

The world will eventually end yes, but it will never be predicted as to when. It could happen tomorrow, or five minutes from now, it all depends on the cosmos and what it's agenda is. Do you all remember the Y2K crap? Everyone freaked out then over nothing and it's the same now. We're all going to die one day anyway so there's no point in worrying about it.

I kind of laugh at the people spending their entire lives and income on shelters, food, etc. and practicing "get away" plans and such. It's even more pointless if you live close to a volcano/hot spot or in range of a tsunami because all the stuff you have stored away or your shelter is going to be destroyed. Also if you had to escape from an area how would you even trasport it all? Nine times out of ten I believe you wouldn't even have enough time to pack if something was happening anyway.

On the other hand if it were a nuclear disaster or whatever kind of thing like that then it might work out. Watch the movie The Road with Viggo Mortensen. I think it would come to something like that if a nuclear disaster were to wipe most everything out. So in that case I guess it's helpful to be prepared, if you survive that is, only just have a lot of weapons and security.

So to answer the question, no I do not beleive the world will end on December 21st 2012.

Didn't the day on the Mayan Calendar already pass, because the Mayans didn't take leap years into account?

Exactly. If they did, it would be somewhere in August 2013.

I don't believe it. The world could end any time now, but i don't think on 12/21/12. and i heard the scientists who predicted that originally were like "erp, no, sorry guise we messed up, its gonna be in 2036 now durr"

What a lot of people don't know is that yes, the calendar is ending, but the Mayans made several calendars, and another one is supposed to start after this one ends. The end of this calendar symbolizes a change...from what I remember from the show I was watching is that with the next calendar, the poles are switching, not drastically of course, but slowly over time.

I saw a show about that and yeah, the Earth's magnetic poles ARE shifting. The way they're going right now, eventually the 'magnetic' north pole will be in Siberia and it will throw us into another quasi-ice-age; apparently it happens every.. Cripes, I can't remember if it's every 250,000 years or 450,000.. Either way, I DO remember the scientists saying that we were already overdue for the next one, so it could happen any time.. As it is, there have already been changes in the earth's electromagnetic shield, weaknesses if you will, and with the strength of the solar storms we're supposed to be getting this year, we COULD be looking at some very drastic changes to life as we know it.. WHEN exactly it will happen is really still up in the air, but with the increase in earthquakes, number and strength of hurricanes and tropical storms, drastic climate effects (like the winter that Europe had this year, all those people dying from the extreme cold while we barely had what you would call a Winter in CANADA of all places), I would hedge a guess that it's on it's way..

Weirdly enough, I had a dream last night that we got hit by an enormous solar mass ejection that scorched half the Earth, killing billions and sending the survivors back to the stone age, LOL! So vivid too, sometimes I hate that I always dream in color..

My Gram's always been a believer in 'end of times' (the religious one), bit of a paranoic, but some of the stuff she taught me about surviving is pretty cool, I think I'd make it ;)

This is just like the new millennium end of the world scare.

The world will end, yes, one day, but I'm certain it won't be on December 21st 2012, or even in my lifetime.

http://jameswatt.me/...rian-leap-year/

shutterstock1830582.jpg?w=660

Soooo... The current "baktun" DOES end on December 21, 2012. But it still doesn't mean it's the end of the world. It simply means that just like we started a new millennium on January 1, 2000, the Mayans would have started a new "baktun" on 13.0.0.0.0 - which happens to be our December 21, 2012. So basically it's Y2K all over again. How silly. :P

What's pretty much going to happen is the "End" of the Fourth Mayan Millenium.

It's no different from switching from 1999 to 2000.

If anyone was old enough to remember all the hype and slight terror about computers crashing and the world going crazy? That might happen again.

However, since back then, there were no huge attacks or bombings or anything too crazy, I seriously doubt that that would happen this time around.

Side note: If you believe in the Bible, Abraham was promised the land of Israel for an eternal inheritance. How could he inherit it if it was gone? Genesis 13:14-18

Since I believe the Bible, that's how I knew for myself that the world wouldn't end on Dec 21st. But reading that article and doing some additional study proves the point for those who don't believe in the Bible.

:)

Best wishes!

~Sendryl

Just to clarify, I don't believe that the world will end on Dec. 21, or this year at all, or even the next. Who knows when it will happen, all I'm saying is that there IS some pretty funky stuff going on right now and on it's way, scientifically proven/predicted and I like to know what's comin'.. I wasn't one of the ones who got all caught up in the whole Y2K thing, pretty much thought it was paranoid bull-pucky from the get go because it was all supposition, no fact, no proof.. All the stuff I talked about in my previous post has been scientifically proven to be happening or about to happen, they just don't know when exactly it's going to get extreme.. That's all..

The only thing that will change is the day, and perhaps less people to overpopulate the Earth due to those people believing the hype and doing mass suicides (as said before). Of course, if you look at how much hype y2k had and the very little disturbances that happened, chances are people are going to freak out, but not really do anything.

Yes, the poles are actually shifting. The tsunami/earthquake that hit Japan pushed the poles a decent amount and made more people aware of the fact that the poles are shifting. We can't expect Earth to stay exactly the same for all eternity...that's like expecting a person to never die or grow old.

The program I saw interviewed these 2 scientists who get together every 5 years and track where the magnetic north pole is, guess they've been doing it for the last 30 years and there's been quite a significant shift in where it is now from where it was 30 years ago.. It's actually gotten to the point where they can't even land where it is anymore because it's shifted so far out over the water (and because of deterioration of the polar ice caps), but apparently it's headed towards Siberia. I've just been obsessed with stuff like this since I saw a tornado when I was about 7; anything to do with weather, or natural disasters or things that affect the weather or precipitate disasters, I can't get enough of it :P Maybe I should have gone into geology or meteorology or whatever the heck deals with all of that, instead of Physiotherapy :mellow:

it will not happen as if you think about it, who are the people who should worry about it most, the mayans, right but they are not the least and the teensiest bit worried. according to their legend this evil dragon-snake come and the gods destroy it and every 52 years everything resets. plus its scientifically proven that the world could be ending this very moment.

Sure, the world will end, but I doubt it will be any time soon. Probably when the sun dies, or we've polluted the planet so much that it is impossible for living things to grow any more.

If I've counted correctly, there have been over 100 previous dates where the end of the world was supposed to happen (take a look at this list: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_dates_predicted_for_apocalyptic_events); what makes you think 2012 will be any different?

In 2013 I'll watch the movie '2012' and laugh.

The world isn't going to end. xD No, no. It's silly.

I do believe that the world might go a bit mad that day, but that's about it. It's safe to say, I won't be venturing outside that day. Nope. I'm locking myself in my house or I'll just sleep all day. So many people are going to commit suicide and go mad.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't think I believe in it, and like others have said I definitely won't be venturing out that day as I think some people are gonna go a little nuts :P will just lock myself inside my house :)

I don't believe that the world is going to end on December 21st, 2012, because A: I'm naturally skeptical, and B:the Mayans didn't even believe the world would end on December 21st, 2012. That date in the Mayan Calendar is just it ticking over to the next B'ak'tun (sp?), which is a large unit of time invented by them. It's basically like Y2K for Meso-Americans.