Hang Out and Post

Giovanni Gale

Wow! That's pretty awesome. I've only been to Europe once, and it was a whirlwind two-week trip.

Ireland's at the top of my list... I really liked Northern France too.

I've never had the chance so far, to get very far out of the US. I've been to Mexico and the Bahamas. That's it. But I will travel. Someday. Europe is biggest on my list since there's just so much to see there.

I never really flew to far away from the U.S.A., only place I recall flying to was Puerto Rico with my family to meet some of my relatives over there.

All of my flights have been short flights, within my province, on small planes. I have never been on a jetliner. I've only ever flown in a deHavilland DHC-8-100.

The longest flight I think I've been on was my flight to Alaska. It was broken down into 2 flights. Denver, CO to Salt Lake City, UT, to Anchorage, AK. We had no lay-over between. (Our first flight was late, so we literally ran to our second flight, while they held the plane for us.)

We left Colorado at 5pm. We arrive in Anchorage Alaska at 4am.

Bit off topic, but I love that a lot of you Americans want to visit Europe - and a lot of you want to visit Ireland. What about Ireland is it that appeals to you all? Not that I'm saying it shouldn't, I'm just intrigued. :)

For Ireland, it's actually my husband. He's Irish, so he wants to go to Ireland. That's actually why I want to go to Germany. Both sides of my family is German. (Then Egypt is a country/culture that's always been fascinating to me and Japan is a country/culture that's always been fascinating to him.)

As for Europe interesting me, there's just such variety of rich cultural stuff there, in a relatively close area.

(Oh and as far as off-topic, that's the idea of this board. Off-topic, is on-topic here. :laughingsmiley: )

Bit off topic, but I love that a lot of you Americans want to visit Europe - and a lot of you want to visit Ireland. What about Ireland is it that appeals to you all? Not that I'm saying it shouldn't, I'm just intrigued. :)

I just want to visit every single place I can get to so I can broaden my horizon in the field of Culinary Arts.

I am very open minded about trying new foods and always try it regardless what it is.

And if I don't like it, hey at least I tried it ahaha xD

Like one time I went to an Authentic Vietnamese restaurant with my dad's Navy buddy's family and my dad served me a dish.

He didn't tell me what it was until I tried it, found out after I ate a few that it was frog legs.

Seriously tastes like chicken wings >.>;

Wouldn't mind eating them again as long as he doesn't tell me ahaha.

Also, I would love to visit Ireland with my best friend since she's Irish herself.

For Ireland, it's actually my husband. He's Irish, so he wants to go to Ireland. That's actually why I want to go to Germany. Both sides of my family is German. (Then Egypt is a country/culture that's always been fascinating to me and Japan is a country/culture that's always been fascinating to him.)

As for Europe interesting me, there's just such variety of rich cultural stuff there, in a relatively close area.

(Oh and as far as off-topic, that's the idea of this board. Off-topic, is on-topic here. :laughingsmiley: )

That's really cool. I live in England and have never been to Ireland, so it's on my visit list too! But I lived in Germany for a year last year; best year of my life. You'll love it. It's easy to forget, living in Europe, how lucky you are to have so many different countries so close together.

And Airiya - that's such a good attitude to have! I hate it when people say they don't like things when they haven't even tried them - how do you KNOW?!

I'm just waiting for my father and my brother to install new shelves in my room.

I'm currently in the living room waiting for things to be finished, which they're almost complete.

That's really cool. I live in England and have never been to Ireland, so it's on my visit list too! But I lived in Germany for a year last year; best year of my life. You'll love it. It's easy to forget, living in Europe, how lucky you are to have so many different countries so close together.

I'd love to live somewhere in Europe. Anywhere really. What part of Germany did you live in?

I don't know what part my family was from. My dad's dad is my only surviving grandparent now. My mom's mom used to love talking about her family, but she never did say what part. (Her parents, or grandparents came over to the US from Russia. They were completely German, but they were living in Russia during the time that Russia offered people land to come live there.)

I'd love to live somewhere in Europe. Anywhere really. What part of Germany did you live in?

I don't know what part my family was from. My dad's dad is my only surviving grandparent now. My mom's mom used to love talking about her family, but she never did say what part. (Her parents, or grandparents came over to the US from Russia. They were completely German, but they were living in Russia during the time that Russia offered people land to come live there.)

So you must be either half German or half Russian? I'm like over half Italian.

So you must be either half German or half Russian? I'm like over half Italian.

I'm actually not Russian at all. I'm mostly German, with a tiny bit of Swiss. The marriages and children had already happened before Russia, so they were only living there for a short time before coming to the US.

I'm actually not Russian at all. I'm mostly German, with a tiny bit of Swiss. The marriages and children had already happened before Russia, so they were only living there for a short time before coming to the US.

Still kinda cool though. I love world cultures and love it when I find out peoples ethnic backgrounds. That gives me another reason to research. I'm Italian, Mongolian, Hungarian, Irish,and it's very remote but a teensy bit of Finnish. Yeah, I'm awesome like that :D

My background is a bit easier because my dad's side is German, as is my mom's. My husband's is a lot harder. He has a lot of different things in his blood, including Cherokee Indian, but the largest portion is Irish.

My married last name was completely Irish at one point, several generations ago in his family (It was one of the O'K.... names) but at some point, someone decided to Americanize it.

My background is a bit easier because my dad's side is German, as is my mom's. My husband's is a lot harder. He has a lot of different things in his blood, including Cherokee Indian, but the largest portion is Irish.

My married last name was completely Irish at one point, several generations ago in his family (It was one of the O'K.... names) but at some point, someone decided to Americanize it.

My last name is Hungarian and it was Americanized. I don't blame them...it had a Z right after the S.

He wants to change it back to the Irish version. I don't. (I got to keep my initials after getting married since both my maiden and married last names started with K.) Plus it doesn't really matter, because we won't be having kids, so there will be no one to pass the name onto.

For me, it's because I'm Irish. It's always been a dream for me to go there - I got to go to Dublin for a little under two days, and I really want to go back and be able to travel the country. I also play Irish music, so I would love to go sit in on some seisiuns. :yes:

Wow, I missed a whole lot of conversation here. I lived in Dresden, Eastern Germany, for a year as part of my uni course. Really beautiful place about an hour away from Berlin and 90 minutes from Prague. I'd recommend it if you ever get the chance. It's so cool that so many of you have such diverse backgrounds too, I find that all really interesting. As for me, I'm plain old English as far as I know!

So...opposite side of it, where would you recommend as the one and only best place in America to visit??? I've been to a few places, but I'm interested where you'll say considering it's such a massive country :P

Best place in the US? Alaska. Hands down. For me, at least. (Disney World is a close second. :laughingsmiley: )

But it depends on what you're into. If you're into nature and photography, I would recommend Alaska and Colorado. If you're more of a city person, NYC.

I want to go makeup shopping....

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Spritzie) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please keep your posts at 7 words or above.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.