Halloween

Piticent

I still don't know if I want to hand out candy or go trick-or-treating one last time with my friends :|

If I decide to go dress up as something this year, I have three ideas so far: Dave Strider, a stereotypical hipster kid or a Yooyuball player. :P I can't choose between any of them right now, but I have well over a month to make up my mind.

EDIT: If you want suggestions (if you change your mind and decide to go trick-or-treating), you should totally go as a Yooyuball player or some other Neopets character. Or a tacky tourist, which is what I went as last year :)

You know how much I want to go trick or treating, but I may end up giving out candy again or something. I may get some Halloween candy for those after-Halloween sales however. Besides that, I may end up watching Halloween specials at home to celebrate the Halloween season.

On Halloween I just sit around the house eating candy corn and doing stuff. So no, I don't do costumes. I don't hand out candy because there are no kids in our cul de sac. I need to make a to watch list of Halloween cartoon episodes.

XD love it, ruto!

I like the neo ideas but please no more. I have to somehow preserve my social life :P

If wore a Neopets themed costume, I would never forgive myself. I plan one getting my first tattoo on Halloween.

I've actually never celebrated Halloween, or gone trick or treating. I’m Christian, so… my family doesn’t believe in that. I think free candy would be fun though! :< Can you mail some to me via email. :) Um… Go as a… a…. I don’t know. Though I honestly think you should go as a dubloon I know I would. :)

Is there a general look your're going for? (Spooky, silly, etc)

I don't think I'm dressing up this year, but the munchkin decided she wants to be Alice (Alice In Wonderland)...which is funny, considering she started off wanting to be a spider or a dragon.

I'm more looking forward to all the food and crafts I get to do. (especially Pumpkin Ravioli...and and caramel apple pops [which reminds me, I forgot to pick up a melon baller] ) :D

I know this is really long, but it's worth the read:

My house has spent a few years crafting a wonderful reputation on Halloween. My husband and I, along with one of our friends, always try to come up with an elaborate plan for handing out candy.

The first year:

Growing up, the "porch dummy" - clothes stuffed with pillows and paper to make it look like a person, seated in a lawn chair - was always a Halloween feature. So any Halloween plan I have has to incorporate a porch dummy, in some fashion. My friend decided that he wanted to dress up as the porch dummy, so we found him a huge, old snowmobile suit at a thrift shop, and stuffed some rags in there with him, to make it look lumpy, covered his face with a dark piece of fabric, and he sat in the chair on the porch, looking limp. Kids would poke at him when they came to the door to get candy, and sometimes he would move or jump up at them. My husband, meanwhile, was wearing a straight jacket and was tied to the porch railing. He would charge at people like a crazed maniac, until his hands went numb.

The second year:

My husband and I had to hand out candy at his parents' house, because they were on vacation. My friend, however, decided to come over and be the porch dummy anyway. He sat on the porch with a bunch of cans of pop in front of him, and a sign that read "Take one." (we only get 40 kids coming to our house, so we always give out cans of pop.)Some kids remembered him dressing up as the porch dummy the year before and were hesitant to come near, but there were some newcomers that he did manage to startle - a group of teenage girls, in particular, when he rose up quietly from his chair and hovered over them. (He's over 6 feet tall.)

The third year:

There was a small change in theme. There was still a porch dummy, but it was just a stuffed snowsuit this time. People were still wary of it. My friend was tied to the porch rail, covered in fake blood (black bean sauce and red food colouring - smells terrible, but looks authentic), with my husband standing over him, dressed like a mountain-man hillbilly, holding a stout stick menacingly. I was handing out cans of pop. I think some of the fake blood is still staining the decking on the porch.

Last year:

The porch dummy gained a skeleton, made from wrapping paper tubes, so that it still looked like someone was in the snowsuit, and he got moved to beside the steps, in the driveway. The three of us donned black, hooded robes, like Dementors. My husband and I took turns handing out pop. Meanwhile, my friend, concealed in the darkness of his black robe, hid up on the porch roof and dropped candy down on kids as they were coming up the stairs. Some of the older kids would scream and run away, but the little kids loved it! I can remember one kid saying, "Look mommy! Candy from the heavens!" I still hear kids talking about the "candy from the sky" when they walk by our house with their parents.

Incidentally, the porch dummy had built such a reputation, that some of the teenage girls in our neighbourhood wouldn't even come to the door, because they were too afraid to pass by it in the driveway. I remember one girl poking it with her wand, screaming, and running away.

This year:

I have a reputation to uphold. That isn't easy. We don't have a plan yet for this year. My husband and I thought of a great idea a few months ago, but we've forgotten it now. I hope I'm able to remember it, because it was simple and not so amazing that we would not be able to top it next year.

You should find an Oscar the Grouch costume. Complete with garbage bin.

I once went out for Halloween as a garbage can. I think I was 10 or 11, at the time. My friend was dressed as a garbage man. I took a standard plastic can, cut out the bottom, and cut two holes for my arms. It was hard to walk, because the can came down below my knees, so I had to sort of shuffle along.

Where I live, we often have snow for Halloween. This year, there was lots of snow on the ground, and we got freezing rain on Halloween. It was very slippery, and I was already having trouble walking. There was one house I went to with a sloping driveway. I slipped and wiped out, rolling down the driveway in my garbage can! :laughingsmiley: Because the can came down past my knees, I couldn't kneel to get up off the ground. My arms were kind of stuck in an awkward position too. It took my mum and her friend several tries to get me standing again, because I kept slipping. It was absolutely hilarious!

I don't recommend this sort of costume for anyone that is trick-or-treating alone, especially if you somewhere that might be icy.

That sounds like so much fun! I wish we got more trick-or-treaters but the one year I stayed home to hand out candy I think we only had three and I ended up eating the rest of the candy, which was BAD. :) If we ever move to a neighborhood with more kids I will have to make sure my husband agrees to being a porch dummy!

I am usually stuck at home on halloween but two years ago we were invited to a halloween party and I dressed up as a roller derby girl complete with roller skates, and two years before that my husband donned a black eye and bruises and I dressed up as a tough girl... these ideas always happen the day before halloween. One year we actually went to the halloween store to find costumes but they all come with short skirts, or are just cheesy. Homemade is always the best idea!

HALLOWEEN! OMG I LOVE HALLOWEEN. >w<

I don't know what I'm going to do this year. I'm in an apartment just off campus, so I might put on a costume and see if any little kids come by for candy. >.>

They used to go trick-or-treating from dorm to dorm when I lived on-campus. Kids had it goooooood. XD

Halloween's my favourite holiday, and I always dress up, and I probably always will every year of my life. I have to hand out candy anymore, I miss trick-or-treating. Yeah, I'm somebody who just grew up recently. So...maybe find a party to go to or hand out candy. This year I'm planning to be a faerie, and not the Tinkerbell kind either, but a Fae of ancient lore, the kind that kidnaps children and leaves changelings in their place, the kind that seduces people with their beautiful looks, and are weakened by iron. All mythical creatures were percieved as evil back in the Middle Ages, so therefore Halloween (or Samhain actually) is the PERFECT holiday for faeries. That's why I'm going to be a Fae this year.

I looove Halloween. It's one of my favorite days of the year. It might be weird but my favorite thing about it probably isn't even dressing up or getting candy. I just love the excuse to walk around outside for a few hours because autumn weather is by far my favorite weather. It's always so beautiful outside but I don't get outside enough, and on Halloween I can be outside and walking around for hours and it's just amazing.

• A vending machine because you're handing out candy!
  • A character from one of your favorite movies/tv shows/books.
  • Attach cotton balls to a hat and clothes for clouds. When people ask what you are say "cloudy, with a chance of showers" and squirt them with a squirt gun.
  • Donatello (because he's the best Ninja Turtle)
  • Zombie

My boyfriend and I are dressing up as Drew Carey and Mimi in zombie form (because the show is dead, haaa) this year.

Halloween's my favourite holiday, and I always dress up, and I probably always will every year of my life. I have to hand out candy anymore, I miss trick-or-treating. Yeah, I'm somebody who just grew up recently. So...maybe find a party to go to or hand out candy. This year I'm planning to be a faerie, and not the Tinkerbell kind either, but a Fae of ancient lore, the kind that kidnaps children and leaves changelings in their place, the kind that seduces people with their beautiful looks, and are weakened by iron. All mythical creatures were percieved as evil back in the Middle Ages, so therefore Halloween (or Samhain actually) is the PERFECT holiday for faeries. That's why I'm going to be a Fae this year.

Faeries are my favorite! How are you planning your costume?

I looove Halloween. It's one of my favorite days of the year. It might be weird but my favorite thing about it probably isn't even dressing up or getting candy. I just love the excuse to walk around outside for a few hours because autumn weather is by far my favorite weather. It's always so beautiful outside but I don't get outside enough, and on Halloween I can be outside and walking around for hours and it's just amazing.

I don't think that's odd at all. I love autumn, and it's an amazing time to go walking around at night. The air is cool, there's always a breeze, and it smells wonderful outside - like decaying leaves and other organic smells.

The last time I went trick-or-treating, when I was 15, I think, it was purely for the sake of going for a walk on a glorious fall night. I was actively following a pagan path, so it was beautiful night for celebrating the end of the cycle of life.

Dress up as a bunny and put a bunch of electric cords on you. Then tell people you're going to electro-cute them.

That's what I was going to do, but I'm dressing up as Fluttershy instead.

Faeries are my favorite! How are you planning your costume?

Awesome, didn't know someone was interested! Well, I still am not quite certain how I'm going to plan it or what it might look like, but i got a colour scheme down - black, dark purple, white, and sliver. I know I'm going to have dramatic makeup with lots of silver and black, and my dress will be either black or dark purple, but I can't decided between it being long or short. Long might be better as I'm not going to be a modern view of faeries.

And I also probably should wear gloves, but I'm also thinking long silver nails as well. Can't have both!

Awesome, didn't know someone was interested! Well, I still am not quite certain how I'm going to plan it or what it might look like, but i got a colour scheme down - black, dark purple, white, and sliver. I know I'm going to have dramatic makeup with lots of silver and black, and my dress will be either black or dark purple, but I can't decided between it being long or short. Long might be better as I'm not going to be a modern view of faeries.

And I also probably should wear gloves, but I'm also thinking long silver nails as well. Can't have both!

Those sound like great ideas! I think a long dress would work best, and definitely nails not gloves... are you planning on wings?

Those sound like great ideas! I think a long dress would work best, and definitely nails not gloves... are you planning on wings?

I agree on the long dress, and got more ideas today. If you say I should wear nails and not gloves, I'll go with those, hopefully they'll stay on well. I've only worn false nails once and they didn't work, nor did they stay on at all! I've avoided them ever since.

And while Fae in the middle ages did not always have wings, I think I should wear wings so these modern people will know I'm a Fae and not a witch or vampire. So...it's going to be black faerie wings for me. Buttefly ones, and I already found a good pair. :)

Ever since I dyed my hair red, everyone says I look like Tyra Banks. So I am going to be her, and a bunch of my friends are dressing up as models. Everytime we stop at someones house when they answer I am going to be like "You are AMERICA'S NEXT TOP MODEL!" Lol.