Nyssa

I've been wondering this for quite some time now, but I just can't seem to understand why people would collect avatars.

Of course there are avatars that I like (because it's cool or whatever), but why would you want to 'collect 'em all'? No offense, I'm seriously just curious.

So please, tell me, why do you collect avatars? :)

I've been wondering this for quite some time now, but I just can't seem to understand why people would collect avatars.

Of course there are avatars that I like (because it's cool or whatever), but why would you want to 'collect 'em all'? No offense, I'm seriously just curious.

So please, tell me, why do you collect avatars? :)

I don't really collect them, but they are a great way to show off how well you are doing on the site, to show off what games you are good at. There is even a high score for avatar collection. No one has collected them all, nor will they ever. But it is a great way to show off how you are doing on the site the same way they paint pets or collect trophies.

Personally I have this thing inside my brain that says I need to collect things. *shrugs* I like to collect stuff. Hats, flair (Facebook), Video Games, Pokemon cards, whatever.

I know I collect them as something just for something to do on the site. Everyone has some kind of goal on neopets, whether it is getting on the high score table, collecting stamps, or earning rare avatars. I actually never got the point of collecting avatars until about 9 months ago when I earned one for playing a game. Then I decided to become a collector. Getting an avatar gives you a sense of accomplishment (most of the time), as quite a few of the avatars are rare and hard to get. They are also nice to have if you use the neoboards.

I'm trying to collect as many avatars as I can, without going to extreme lengths (or cost. At least at this point.) I don't even use the Neoboards. I never have. Granted, I've always been a collector... my entire life... I even joke that I collect dust. (On my collections.) Plus, I've been into graphic design, and have done things similar to these avatars in the past... so I enjoy them. Even though I haven't changed my default av from the "Angry Air" one since I unlocked it. Personally, I think they're fun.

Having a lot of avatars show dedication to Neopets. Because many of them are hard to get... either because of their cost or because they require certain skills. Avatars motivate people into playing the game too, as they are goals to achieve.

Some players also dream to get the 'Avatar Collector' avatar, that you get by being in the top 50 of avatar collectors.

I just really like to collect things you know. Like pokemon, you know you're not gonna use every single one you catch and use them all for everything. Collecting is one of the many goals that makes neopets worthwhile and exciting =D No goals = what's the point sometimes you know?

Most people collect avatars or gallery items from what I've seen.

Like everyone else said, collecting is fun and shows how skillful you are when you obtain certain hard ones :)

You need a reason to collect avatars? @_@ -thinks-

No clue, but it sure is rewarding to see that little square of pixels after you put a lot of effort into it <3 I personally love collecting avatars, but never really thought about why. I guess it's fun to have a challenge =D

I'm not massively into collecting avatars...I'm more into collecting plushies and stamps...but the avatars provide an extra collecting thing, and although I won't go to any extra expense (at the moment) to collect avatars, I will try to get those I can...if only for the sake of collecting.

You need a reason to collect avatars? @_@ -thinks-

No clue, but it sure is rewarding to see that little square of pixels after you put a lot of effort into it <3 I personally love collecting avatars, but never really thought about why. I guess it's fun to have a challenge =D

Agreed 100%. It's the thrill of the chase and the reward is awesome :D

I just like having something to work toward, its kind of exciting logging on knowing that your close to getting a new avvie, kind of like saving your pocket money or working really hard for a reward. And they are cute, and make other people jelous :)

Wow, a lot of replies ;p

Yeah that's kinda what I figured, but I just wanted to hear people say it ;p. I guess I understand the collection drift *looks at huge pile of Pokémon cards*.

It just never really grabbed me I guess.

I don't use the neoboards either, I just have this obsessive need to collect them :S

If I stop to think about it, it's kinda silly. Doesn't stop me from though :D I've got 244, and all of the remaining available ones are either REALLY expensive, calendar day avies, and a few games that I have yet to get good at.

you know maybe TNT should add some sort of feature where instead of just having an avatar and a number on the lookup, you can actually click on that and see users' avatars (kinda like TDN has here). that way the collection would be that much more valuable..

I don't use the neoboards either, I just have this obsessive need to collect them :S

If I stop to think about it, it's kinda silly. Doesn't stop me from though :D I've got 244, and all of the remaining available ones are either REALLY expensive, calendar day avies, and a few games that I have yet to get good at.

Exactly! I agree. I've always liked things like that, even though I never had a good use for them. I'm having trouble with a lot of the games... I only have almost 160. But I'm working on it. I'm going to be getting 6+ annual ones in the next couple months.

you know maybe TNT should add some sort of feature where instead of just having an avatar and a number on the lookup, you can actually click on that and see users' avatars (kinda like TDN has here). that way the collection would be that much more valuable..

I've had the same idea. When I see people with tons of the avatars, I'm always really curious as to which ones they have... if they have any of the crazy rare ones. I'm always curious about stuff like that.

I have no idea why I collect them. o_O;; They looked cool I guess? xD Silly reason, but that was what started me on this spree. I can't say I'm in the top tier of avvie collector, but I'm proud enough of my collection! (I even used a snorkle snout instead of selling o_O;;) Another reason is because I make such avvies/icons for AIM users long ago, so it's sort of nostalgic to look at such avvies again...

And YES to an option which shows what avvies a person has! xD

Well, for one thing I like to show off to my freinds and strangewrs alike that I actually did something worthwhile. My avatar collection makes me very proud when I walk around carrying 220 of 'em behind me.

Plus there's so many and they're all so pretty. o.o

Also, like some say, I like to collect things nad avvies are no exception.

It relaxes me.

Avvie hunting gives me something to do on Neo. Without it i'm not sure what i'd do. I'd probably have quit by now actually if I didn't have to keep uping my avvie count.

And it's just fun for me.