Not beating video games

Naamah D.

I've been playing video games from a very young age. I got Pokemon Blue and a Gameboy color when I was little girl and sometimes still play the game as a 21 year old woman. One of my family members talks to me like I'm some wannabe gamer. He says that I'm a noob because I don't beat video games and it really hurts my feelings. I have over 140 games and I love playing them and honestly, I don't think a noob would have over 140 games. I've put 19 years of my life into my hobby and don't want my passion to turn into a way to get criticized and made fun of.

Does anyone else go through this?

It took me 11 years to finish Final Fantasy 8. I really don't know why I waited so long... I played it almost fully 3 times before going through the ending. So yes, you are not alone ^^ Don't worry about what others think of you.

I am 9000000% done with the "lol girl gamers can't play games well, they have to make me sandwich instead!!!" thing.

Anyone who has over 140 video games, and has played for a huge part of their life, no matter their gender, is in no way a "noob". You're not inexperienced at all. Don't listen to him, he doesn't know what he's saying.

That is impressive and forget what other people say, they're totally irrelevant and jerks.

It took me about 8 years to finish Super Mario Bros 3 for GBA since I was lazy and I'm not a big video games fan. (The only video game I play is Wii Sports for exercise. Oh and the time my research advisor made me play them so I could improve my hand-eye coordination skills for my lab project - true story.)

I'm not really a fan of rushing through to beat a game. I like to experience as much of the game as possible. ;) I've been playing through one recently, Bravely Default. 130 hours and counting! :D Chapter 8, everyone at level 99, just learning job skills before I awaken the last crystal. ;)

It took me...... over a DECADE to beat Wizards and Warriors 2 (for the the NES). Earth Realm, (2nd to last, before Ice-Fire mountain) there's an extremely TINY ledge you have to double jump to, hold the A button to do an automatic second jump. But if you miss, you slide down and have to go around again. Total pain! LOL

There's nothing wrong with playing a game for the experiences IN the game. ;) Nice collection at 140! :D I have a TON of games too from over the years. Still have my old NES, SNES and gameboy games among others. XD You can find a dual type system on eBay that can play EITHER NES or SNES games, 2 slots in one deck, you can only play one game/type at a time. So if you've got old NES or SNES games, but no way to play (no or broken system) those seem pretty neat. lol :D

Enjoy your gaming! :)

I remember beating some LoZ games, but it took me a while. I don't like sitting down and going through the entire game in a span of a day or even a week. I like to stop and experience the game, like what Aquamentis said. I don't think anyone should EVER go around telling other people "omg you're a wannabe gamer!!" because it's just mean and hurtful. :| It's like going up to a bunch of people playing a sport you love and shouting "Stoooppp! Stop having fun! Only I should be able to have fun!" It sounds ridiculous because it IS ridiculous.

Enjoy yourself with your gaming! Forget that person who thinks that they have the authority to label one person as a "wannabe gamer," because no one has that authority.

(Or maybe challenge them to some fighting game and totally kick their butt at it or something. :P)

You're NOT a wannabe gamer! Just ignore peoples silly opinions and have fun, enjoy your passion and don't you ever stop playing because of the opinions of some mean persons. I sometimes feel like I'm a wannabe gamer/nerd/otaku, just because I haven't watched, read and played nearly as much as other persons my age (I'm turning 22 in August). No one has said that I'm a wannabe (yet), but that maybe has to do with the fact that I have a quite limited social life... . I don't own 140 games, I had to sell nearly all the games I owned (and I lost some). I only have left an old Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time cartridge, that I haven't even played through to the end yet, but just because other stuff in life got in my way I will not stop considering myself a nerd. I'm still a huge fan of all this stuff, even though I haven't been able to dedicate more time (and money) to it. So.... yeah, ignore the jerks that tell you that you're a wannabe gamer and have fun!!! Oh and please, never make anyone a sandwich instead of playing video games. Sexist jerks aren't worth your time.

Unfortunately that kind of snobbery is something that kinda comes with the territory of loving something that for a long time was a very male dominated hobby. I fight the same things at work (I am in the minority of being a female manager working for a large comic book company), but things definitely get a bit easier as time passes and it is more and more common for females to take part in all the wonderful nerdy things in this world. And us gamer girls just have to stand strong and show everyone that we are a force to be reckoned with too ;)

You can find a dual type system on eBay that can play EITHER NES or SNES games, 2 slots in one deck, you can only play one game/type at a time. So if you've got old NES or SNES games, but no way to play (no or broken system) those seem pretty neat. lol :D

I actually have the Retron 3, which will play NES, SNES AND Sega Genesis games. Only like $60-$70 on eBay, and definitely worth it for those that enjoy their Retro games as well!!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Rune Valentine) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button. Quotes will automatically come up into your reply box when you click on "Quote" even after you've already typed a response.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Video games exist for pleasure; nothing else. It doesn't matter if he thinks that you don't complete video games. Besides, what is completion anyway? Take Pokemon X (the only Poke game I've ever played) for example. Beating the story, collecting all 718 Pokemon, and creating the strongest team are all different levels of completion. How far you take it is up to you.

My whole family plays video games and I'm sure we have over 140 games. My first console was the DS lite when I was like 7, and it was the latest thing. I have been obsessed ever since...

I'll admit, I'm the kind of gamer that wants to collect EVERYTHING THE GAME HAS TO OFFER! Because of that, I tend to not beat games until I have everything or feel that I've accomplished most things. With a busy schedule, it can take a long time to beat. My own bf made fun of me for not beating Skyrim after 400+ hours while he did in around 200 hours. I had to explain to him that I have more stuff done and I tend to explore slowly and fully.

I have plenty of games I haven't beaten yet and it doesn't make me any less of a gamer. People need to chill and remember that games were made to amuse us :P

Don't get me started on Star Ocean: Til the End of Time...I only started the beginning and never touched it again for over 10+ years xD

Sometimes I don't beat games on purpose. I don't want to actually SAVE Zelda, I don't even like her. :UU
The guy obviously doesn't know what he's talking about.
In fact, next time tell him that he doesn't know what he's talking about. U:
If you can sit there and have an in depth conversation about games, to the point where people who haven't played the games before wouldn't understand the conversation, then you're not the odd one out. The end.

• 1 month later...

a "wannabe gamer" ??? That's so stupid, if you like playing games then play them. You don't need to play x amount of games to be qualified as a "gamer". It took me YEARS to beat a Zelda game. I LOVE Zelda, just because it took me a long time to beat it doesn't make me less of a Zelda Fan. Girl, you do you and don't worry about what they say regarding your gaming hobby :)