Neopets Pet Name Change

Sun-and-Rain

Do you think we will ever be able to change our Neopet names?  I laughed out loud at the April Fools joke for this year, the "Name Change Certificate" where the caption was something like, "...because we all know some of you weren't mature enough when creating your first account name."  

I read that it will probably be impossible to change an account name, but changing pet names could be a possibility in the future.  Do any of you want this to be an option?  Think this will happen?  Have a clue when it will be?

I think it's a lovely pipe dream, but I kind of suspect that it might turn out to not be a realistic option though. SO many names used already...Unless this is a potential option because of the purging of abandoned accounts.

I'd be very interested to know why it would be impossible to change an account name though, because I really don't see why it would. For "impossible" I read "way more work than we realistically want to have to do"... :shiftyeyes_anim:

It would be cool if they let us change our pet names to the names of abandoned pet names. There's no harm done since the original owners can't revisit them.

I don't know how much of a possibility this is and I'm not sure what I think of it... All I can imagine is the PC being like: "UC + Custom name UFT!". lol

I guess it would have to be a one-time thing (per account, rather than per pet) to avoid too much chaos.

I can definitely imagine that if it did ever happen it would end up being a premium thing. :rolleyes_anim:

If it DID become possible for the general populace it would most definitely want to cost a big ol' whack of NP. To make sure people didn't just do it constantly and create confusion, or do it on a whim and totally regret it later, plus to work as an NP sink.

On the avatar forum I'm staff on we do it that way, it's not a monster fee like it would need to be on Neo, but it's enough to make sure people are sure before they ask for a name change. Seems the best way for that alone.

I can definitely imagine that if it did ever happen it would end up being a premium thing. :rolleyes_anim:

If it DID become possible for the general populace it would most definitely want to cost a big ol' whack of NP. To make sure people didn't just do it constantly and create confusion, or do it on a whim and totally regret it later, plus to work as an NP sink.

On the avatar forum I'm staff on we do it that way, it's not a monster fee like it would need to be on Neo, but it's enough to make sure people are sure before they ask for a name change. Seems the best way for that alone.

There goes my plan for adopting multiple badly named pets, giving them decent names so they have a better chance of being adopted, and then repounding them...

I'd LOVE it! I have a pet I adopted from the pound with a goofy name... I changed her colour and her gender already (and as she's a cybunny not a pteri I figure she must've had a species change before I came along)... I'd love her to have a 'normal' name... even if old names weren't possibly up for grabs I'm sure I could do better than "S_pteri_s_2001". It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue ;)

There goes my plan for adopting multiple badly named pets, giving them decent names so they have a better chance of being adopted, and then repounding them...

Yeah now THAT would be an awesome thing to be able to do, wouldn't it?! And that would definitely (eventually) fix all those poor pets on Lost and Pound that are trapped in limbo forever because of their names, too.

They could have it as a VERY lucky RE or spin on the wheel of extravagance.  Imagine how many people would spin the wheel for a chance like that!

They could have it as a VERY lucky RE or spin on the wheel of extravagance.  Imagine how many people would spin the wheel for a chance like that!

YES, it would be perfect as a wheel of extravagance prize, just as long as there was a "thing" that you won to enable the change, you weren't expected to do it there and then or lose your chance, lol. The thing wouldn't want to be saleable either as that would defeat the object, can you imagine how much they'd cost if people could sell them? :laughingsmiley:

I think it would be really beneficial to TNT to make it a NC item.  I know players who don't usually dabble with payable items would consider it for a name change, myself included.  It could bring in a surplus but make sure people aren't changing it obsessively.

The pound names are a great point, too!  It really would make the unwanted pets due to names (sad) more desirable.

I'd LOVE it! I have a pet I adopted from the pound with a goofy name... I changed her colour and her gender already (and as she's a cybunny not a pteri I figure she must've had a species change before I came along)... I'd love her to have a 'normal' name... even if old names weren't possibly up for grabs I'm sure I could do better than "S_pteri_s_2001". It doesn't exactly roll off the tongue ;)

charelan, that name is definitely a mouthful, but that is great you chose her anyways =]

I think it would be really beneficial to TNT to make it a NC item.  I know players who don't usually dabble with payable items would consider it for a name change, myself included.  It could bring in a surplus but make sure people aren't changing it obsessively.

Yeah you're right, I shouldn't be so cynical. I suppose I look at things that way because I can't afford premium myself. I'd be happy if this scenario happened, as long as there was also a non-premium alternative available. Like Tracy's suggestion of it being a Wheel of Extravagance option, and/or a rare RE.

I think the NC idea is pretty good! rather than being connected to premium it could be a one-off, like buying an NC item.. I bet people would do it and would generate a little revenue..

It could ALSO be added to something like the Wheel of Extravagance... the 'prize' could be the 'certificate' like in the April Fool's joke, and you could use it like a fountain faerie prize - any time unless you spun and got another...

I'm liking this a lot!! We need some of the TNT staff reading this thread ;)

Oh duh, I just realised I was confusing premium with NC stuff. It would be a lot fairer if it was an NC item, unless it was going to cost 10 bucks or something ofc! Seeing as everyone has a chance of winning NC on Expellibox, and we get given some every now and again for various reasons I could get behind that.

It really would be an excellent way to clear NP out of the economy if it was an option on the Wheel of Extravagance though. Yes, TNT, are you paying attention? :shiftyeyes_anim:

Years ago I had a friend here who was a very nice and giving person. She was also a mother of a young child and had a very maternal quality. One day she told me she had adopted an Eyrie and had even painted it Lost Desert! Then she surprised me by offering to let me adopt him. I thought, wow, thanks! So of course I agreed. Then I saw the name, which obviously was chosen by the original owner: mycrazyeyrie. :rolleyes_anim: Oh well, he looks good anyway.  :laughingsmiley:

My other adopted pet, a girl Xweetok, was named HayleyAW. I don't mind that one as much. Sounds kinda cute. :wub_anim:

Oh duh, I just realised I was confusing premium with NC stuff. It would be a lot fairer if it was an NC item, unless it was going to cost 10 bucks or something ofc! Seeing as everyone has a chance of winning NC on Expellibox, and we get given some every now and again for various reasons I could get behind that.

It really would be an excellent way to clear NP out of the economy if it was an option on the Wheel of Extravagance though. Yes, TNT, are you paying attention? :shiftyeyes_anim:

I completely understand with the Premium gig, if they made the name change Premium only there would be a lot of angry players out there.  I understand why they have Premium, though, because of course the site needs to be funded if all of us want to keep playing.  And making the name change an NC item would be the best option for that!  It would spread across anyone who wants it and it would bring in revenue.

TNT?  Yes?

Is anyone familiar with how this could be executed coding wise?  Maybe it's more challenging than we realize to offer a name change.

Also, lakecat, that is a cuter option than many others out there =]  And that's nice you were able to adopt her  :laughingsmiley:

It would be interesting to know if it was actually difficult to change a username. I seriously wouldn't have thought it would be, it isn't on forums, but hey, who knows?

That's true.  There are more accounts on Neopets, though, than TDN but I'm not sure how either system works so I'm not going to pretend to :)

However, if TNT made an April Fool's joke out of the name change it is at least, hopefully, on their minds.  Potential!