AC Team Score Calculations

Hello Everyone,

I apologize if there is a guide somewhere on this, but I am having a hard time finding information because current coverage is so popular.  How exactly are a player's points contributed to his/her AC team's through your game play?  Is this common knowledge or unreleased by TNT?

More specifically,

1. Do you hurt your team's score by not playing for a given day?  I also read that if you abstain it does not hurt the team, but if you send one score it will because you are now a factor into the percentages.

2. Is there a minimum of scores you should send per type of game a day to benefit your team?

3. I am aware of the minimum sending scores, but is it the higher the better?  For example, will 7 YYB goals earn my team more points than 4?  Or is it the difference from the other team's scores that matter?  (i.e. FL-7, KL-3 = difference-4).

4. When looking at previous results against another team, how are the numbers calculated? (5-4, 8-5, 2-4, etc.)

Thank you in advance, and I'm sorry if this is any repeat  :laughingsmiley:

Hello Everyone,

I apologize if there is a guide somewhere on this, but I am having a hard time finding information because current coverage is so popular.  How exactly are a player's points contributed to his/her AC team's through your game play?  Is this common knowledge or unreleased by TNT?

More specifically,

1. Do you hurt your team's score by not playing for a given day?  I also read that if you abstain it does not hurt the team, but if you send one score it will because you are now a factor into the percentages.

2. Is there a minimum of scores you should send per type of game a day to benefit your team?

3. I am aware of the minimum sending scores, but is it the higher the better?  For example, will 7 YYB goals earn my team more points than 4?  Or is it the difference from the other team's scores that matter?  (i.e. FL-7, KL-3 = difference-4).

4. When looking at previous results against another team, how are the numbers calculated? (5-4, 8-5, 2-4, etc.)

Thank you in advance, and I'm sorry if this is any repeat  :laughingsmiley:

I don't know the answer to any of those questions but they are all great questions that I confess I'm also curious about.

I don't know the answer to any of those questions but they are all great questions that I confess I'm also curious about.

Thanks nicolelouise, most seem to not be sure as well. Or, perhaps it isn't as bothersome to them.

I wonder why TNT won't reveal the process if that is the case.

http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=735

Another player just shared this article with me written by a staff member, it clears up a few of the questions. Makes me feel a lot better!

This post has been edited by a member of staff (Songbirdsara) because of a violation of the forum rules.

Please don't double post. If your post is the most recent reply and you would like to add something, use the 'Edit' button.

Please check your user inbox to see if you have been contacted regarding this incident, then review our rules.

Hmm, I read that editorial, or at least I tried to >_< After the first paragraph or so my brain got very NOPE at me about it because it wasn't making much sense to me.

I don't know that it answers whether we're damaging our team by only playing a few games, that's what I REALLY want to know, because I just can't mentally manage more than a few games. Any I send scores for are decent scores, I'm not doing any damage that way, if the other team gets more than 2 goals I refresh and start again. In general my scores will be something like 7-1 or similar, but if I'm actively harming my team by only playing a handful of games (or less, I only managed 2 yesterday) then I really need to know. :worried:

I don't know that it answers whether we're damaging our team by only playing a few games, that's what I REALLY want to know  :worried:

. Exactly, if I can only play like up to 5-10 games of each on any given day, do I play or does it hurt my team too much?

Maybe no-one actually knows...

I'm just sticking with Shootout Showdown now, just in case...playing over 100 games of that yesterday, that should be safe, I hope!

Based on last week's editorial, it sounds to me like abstaining is WORSE than sending low scores. The editorial says: "...sending more scores is better than sending none..."

So while sending high scores is better than sending low scores, "hurting" your team seems to be a mis-characterization. It means that low scores hurt your team if the alternative is sending a high score. I think the article is saying that the best way to help your team is to try your best and play the most times. If you can't do that, pick either trying your best or playing the most times (no guidance has been given on this point). Either of these is better than not playing at all.

This week's editorial provided a better example: http://www.neopets.com/ntimes/index.phtml?section=editorial&issue=736

Ah, good find Lamppost (I am also envious of your avatar count, way to go!).

The best grasp I can get based on the information is to understand it very generally: Every score (for a particular game) that is submitted is added up, then divided by the number of games played, then the number of players.  This accounts for numerous minimum scores hurting your team, and an medium amount of average to high scores helping it.

Also in the editorial that Lamppost linked, a user asks about how Maraqua and Kreludor were affected by the cheaters.  The author says they "quarantined illegitimate players... [who] were still being counted towards the team total, but as they froze a large number of those accounts, the team size went back down to where it should be and things balanced out."  Perhaps when they quarantined players, it kept their contribution to the team, but they weren't allowed to send scores so it hurt their team.  The total addition of the games scores was a 0 for each of them, but the total was still divided as if they were.  Lamppost may be correct, abstaining could be worse than even contributing minimally.