Official Warning - Help?

coda

Hi TDN. Sorry for posting about this for my first post, but I'm not sure where else to turn to, since my usual go-to places for discussion are affected. I read the forum rules to the best of my extent, but please let me know if there is still something I am doing wrong.
Today's been a rough day on Neopets; I'm pretty bummed out.
I received an official warning because I messaged someone looking for an unbuyable item, but I found their post outside of Neo, so I mentioned where I found their post (just the name of the site, no links or mention of user info exchange or anything else!). I received the warning immediately after sending it, and I felt terrible.
I went back to the site and found out the person I neomailed had gotten warned too without letting me know, making this situation even more terrible, so I apologized as sincerely as I could. I also tried to send them the item they wanted as a way of apologizing, but turns out they blocked me...
I'm kind of afraid to talk now. I don't want others punished for what I say and it isn't fun being punished by Neopets in addition to the affected party. I've been on Neopets for over a decade, and this is the first time I've received such a warning, so I'm a bit more sensitive than I rationally should be. Is there anything I should be doing to prevent this? I've done all I can think of to make amends, but am I allowed to give up continuing to feel guilty, since the other person considers what I did unforgivable regardless of what I do?
I tried to analyze what I sent, but I think I'm too biased to do so. Where does what I said violate the rules, since I did not post links, advertise the websites, or exchange user information? This is the message I received:
You have received an official warning from the Neopets Team for violating the Neopets Terms and Conditions. Please do not post off-site links of ANY kind or advertise commercial websites. Also for your own safety, do not exchange user information for other websites and games (this includes friend codes!)

The following is the message(s) that caused you to receive this warning. Any profanity, inappropriate language, or bad acronyms have been replaced with asterisks (****):

Hello! I saw your post on _*****. Are you still looking to buy the _?

Thank you all and sorry for being whiny. I think I'm too invested in Neopets to be rational and not feel hurt by this situation. You can kick some sense into me, perhaps?

Unfortunately, I do not have any experience in this area. I try to keep a very low profile on Neopets, for fear of what happened to you. I get freaked out here, on TDN, when I get warned for double posting! I'm curious to know what the "*****" are blocking/hiding from yuor original post, as it stated, "Any profanity, inappropriate language, or bad acronyms have been replaced with asterisks (****):" - meaning
. I've read on these forums how the Neopets filters are super strict, so words like "grape" and "skill" get blocked or you receive warnings. In any case, it is just a warning. As long as you don't get any more in a certain period of time, I think you will be fine. It's not like your account was frozen or you were banned from the site. As far as the other person is concerned, I can understand them blocking you. I'm sure they did it to protect themselves/Neopets account. You tried to sincerely apologize. If they can't accept that, then I wouldn't worry about it. You were (are) truly sorry and you didn't mean for it to happen. Everybody makes mistakes, even with the best of intentions. I'm sure other more knowledgible (sp?) TDN'ers will respond with their words of wisdom on this matter.

That's strange that the person got in trouble for receiving an unsolicited NM. Either JS-TNT is completely incompetent, or the site in question is a known cheating site (just being active on there could get you in trouble). Either way, it's not really your fault that they advertised their Neopets name on that site. If you really want to apologize, you could try to do it on the other site (via PM), but you're probably just better off leaving it at that and hoping they forget about you. It really wasn't your fault.

My friend received a warning for talking about his bartending job on Neopets (we usually talk elsewhere, and he forgot we were NMing instead of PMing). It's really just that, a warning. It goes on your Neopets "permanent record," but as long as you don't slip up again, it doesn't really matter. You could respond to the ticket and point out that you were not advertising a site nor soliciting/sharing info to contact someone off-site -- just trying to find out if they needed an item and letting them know where you got their contact info from (it's not advertising because the other person obviously already knew of the other site, and you didn't try to share a link) -- and that you thought you'd be safer conducting all of your interactions with them on Neopets instead of off-site....

You have to be really careful even mentioning other websites (including Google...). And communicating outside of Neopets, even if you know each other in real life (I've known of siblings who got in trouble for mentioning that they'd call the other... no exchange of info, obviously! they already had it!). I guess if you want to contact someone from off-site, contact them on the off-site place first, and then keep any discussion on Neopets without reference to that outside conversation at all.

Thank you so much to both of you for your advice! It really helped put the situation in perspective and I've calmed down significantly. Felt like I was being punished for trying to interact with others; I only recently started to participate in any form of community again after a long period of keeping to myself.

The "_*****" was Reddit. It shouldn't have affected the user I neomailed, since that's a pretty safe site. I will definitely be more careful... I will probably be very very paranoid for a long time though.

I did send in a ticket earlier letting them know that what I wrote didn't seem to break the rules they mentioned and that they should at least remove the warning for the person I neomailed. However, I am expecting a generic response to my situation because that seems to be the trend.

Gotta keep moving forward though. I am indebted to both you; sense has been restored! :)

The "_*****" was Reddit. It shouldn't have affected the user I neomailed, since that's a pretty safe site. I will definitely be more careful... I will probably be very very paranoid for a long time though.

I did send in a ticket earlier letting them know that what I wrote didn't seem to break the rules they mentioned and that they should at least remove the warning for the person I neomailed. However, I am expecting a generic response to my situation because that seems to be the trend.

no matter how safe a site is, you're not allowed to mention any site that isn't on the pre-approved list that kody linked. :(

Eh I wouldn't worry about it too much. Warnings are usually removed after 6 months without any other infractions, so it's just an off thing for the two of you.

Sucks that it had to happen, but Reddit does warn up the wazoo not the mention it anywhere on Neopets for this very reason: it auto triggers the warning.

Hang in there! You can talk about anything Neopets as long as it abides by the rules :D

Wow, it was right there in the sidebar on the subreddit. I've never heard it mentioned before and I never realized you couldn't even MENTION something, but I should've seen that sidebar... :| Very shameful, because I'm the person that reads the Terms and Conditions... Ugh. I'm going to go wallow in shame now.

I got in the same trouble when I told them if they were on dA to add me, and I got a warning and I freaked out and stopped messaging people for a whole week.

I no longer talk about dA on neopets.. and Neopets doesn't even like the tdnforums.. I tried to link it to someone and they said "go back and rewrite this message" and I did, I changed it to "Oh your Ixi looks adorable" or something like that

It's really difficult when you want to talk with someone off of neopets but you can't due to these rules =/

Wow, it was right there in the sidebar on the subreddit. I've never heard it mentioned before and I never realized you couldn't even MENTION something, but I should've seen that sidebar... :| Very shameful, because I'm the person that reads the Terms and Conditions... Ugh. I'm going to go wallow in shame now.

Hahaha, relax! I know exactly how you feel. I felt the very same way when I received my first (and only) warning. I too am the kind that plays strictly by the rules. But you don't have to worry, it was an automatic message, and if you're a correct player, it will be gone from your file soon :)