Should TNT bring back some of the retired avatars - discuss.

chubit

Just because you missed out on certain avatars, that doesn't mean you shouldn't try to get what you can! New users can still get a lot of avatars, even without retired ones. If you take away the retired avatars I have, I would have 293 which is still a lot! They just have to put in the work and effort.

I feel like, as a relatively amateur avatar collector, I absolutely want access to the retired avatars. Problem being that what makes them special is that they were earned. Now, if they released certain plots for us to go through, I'd like a version of the avatar to be available for completing the plot. I had a lot of outside circumstances interfering during some of the plots. It's not even that I only want the avatar. I'm sad that I couldn't participate at the time. But I do think if they were going to do that that they should have some sort of modification on the avatar to make it clear that it was earned in some way other than the original way of earning. Rather like the pilfered banner for the Thieves Guild boon. Some little modifier like that would make it obvious who earned it the first time versus who earned/won/got it later in an alternative method.

After reading many of the posts/debates on this subject, I would like to change my original thought....Spyke said it best above! I too was around for most of them, but not terribly active and wanted them re-released for the opportunity, but can also understand the the reasons not to. I love the idea of a variation of them, IF, they are going to be out.

Well, from re-releasing avatars from the Coincidence people learned that there are at least two avatars that were never released.

Could TNT just release the ones they never released?

They're already made, so they wouldn't have to worry about creating new ones.

What avatars would people like to see?

There have been plenty of people asking for a Key Quest avatar.

I think one for having an old pet would be nice.

Or having a shop at a certain size.

Having a certain number of any item in your SDB.

I definitely think releasing the unreleased avatars could be cool. I really like the old pet idea brynchilla mentioned, maybe in combination with having an elderly painted aged pet if they wanted to make it more complicated than just that. Actually, most of brynchilla's ideas would be pretty nice. I think maybe a neohome one could be cool and encourage people to play with that aspect of the site more. Maybe placing a certain number of items in your neohome? I also think a TCG card collector one could be cool since they do the stamp album ones.

I do agree with Mumtup- I have zero skill at the game ones and I nearly had a fit trying to get the Feed Florg one.

To keep this more on topic, though, I had a bit of an expansion on my earlier idea. What if you had to purchase map pieces to unlock access to old plots, similar to how you unlock lab ray access? Then once you had access to the plot, you could complete it and get your modified avatar? I don't think anyone would really argue that you had earned the modified version that you ultimately got and it really wouldn't be that difficult to make happen.

• 4 weeks later...

since the Great Deflation of Krawks and Draiks, nothing on Neo has much meaning anymore so I'd be for un-retiring some retired avatars that can be linked to something else that's around today like

10th Birthday**

Altador Cup**

Altador Cup Staff Tourney
Coco Roller

Daily Dare Staff Tournament

Gamesmaster Aaa

Plushie Nova

TCG - Wanna Play

TCG Wizard

**should be renamed if it does become unretired

I'm mostly saying this because I'm an avatar collector, there's never enough avatars around to pique my interest :sad01_anim:

with Habi gone, there's a possibility for an avatar and the Editorial has promised an avatar for the Lottery but lately, it seems like they're trying to figure out more ways to inject Neocash-tied-in-events. they think of themselves more and waaaaaaay down the list, there's us and what we want :sad02:

since the Great Deflation of Krawks and Draiks, nothing on Neo has much meaning anymore so I'd be for un-retiring some retired avatars that can be linked to something else that's around today like

10th Birthday**

Altador Cup**

Altador Cup Staff Tourney

Coco Roller

Daily Dare Staff Tournament

Gamesmaster Aaa

Plushie Nova

TCG - Wanna Play

TCG Wizard

**should be renamed if it does become unretired

I'm mostly saying this because I'm an avatar collector, there's never enough avatars around to pique my interest :sad01_anim:

with Habi gone, there's a possibility for an avatar and the Editorial has promised an avatar for the Lottery but lately, it seems like they're trying to figure out more ways to inject Neocash-tied-in-events. they think of themselves more and waaaaaaay down the list, there's us and what we want :sad02:

The Draik/Krawk thing is just one aspect of the site, there are still many others that you can try.

And because that happened to go down, that doesn't mean other parts of the site have to follow.

With the transition, I think they need to earn more money. So they're going to press Neocash. And there have always been Neocash tie ins ever since the mall was opened.

We just need to be patient and wait for the avatar. It's coming, they just have more important things to worry about.

Avatar collecting is fun! Try going for some of the game ones.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my gosh! The conversations that went on while I was away are so good - this is genuinely why I love neopets & the people I meet, you all think deeply about this stuff. Because even though it's just a game, it's also nice to know that we can chat about this stuff with some seriousness.

Anyway, I like avatars where you can only get one but not the other, so people very much had to *pick a team*.

That shows a nice variety. That's the shame with the obelisk avatars - you can get them all - which is great as a collector, but doesn't really let you have an identity with one.

I was thinking about it, but avatar collecting is the reason why I stay/always come back to neopets. I've worked hard in the past for avatars, so I'd like to come back and get new ones. If I were to lose this account, I don't think I could reset, because it'd be without all those years of hard work.

Oh my gosh! The conversations that went on while I was away are so good - this is genuinely why I love neopets & the people I meet, you all think deeply about this stuff. Because even though it's just a game, it's also nice to know that we can chat about this stuff with some seriousness.

Anyway, I like avatars where you can only get one but not the other, so people very much had to *pick a team*.

That shows a nice variety. That's the shame with the obelisk avatars - you can get them all - which is great as a collector, but doesn't really let you have an identity with one.

I was thinking about it, but avatar collecting is the reason why I stay/always come back to neopets. I've worked hard in the past for avatars, so I'd like to come back and get new ones. If I were to lose this account, I don't think I could reset, because it'd be without all those years of hard work.

I remember when the Sway avatar came out, and people freaked because they said it wasn't fair that the Sway got a special avatar and no one else did. That was the point. They won, so they got something no one else did. But, as with all winning teams, the loosers will say it wasn't their fault they didn't pick the easy team or the one with the most members. *sigh*

I like that the other avatars for the different factions added to my number, but it seems less special now.

I'm with you on the last one. If I lost my account, I don't think I would be very motivated to come back and earn all of them again. This is the most avatars I've ever had, and it took a while to get there. I'd probably come back, but I don't know what my motivation would be.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd definitely love to be able to get the avatar from the LDP, seeing as I was around for the plot, but, being a total newbie, wasn't aware that there was more to plots than comics. I do think that maybe there should be some avatars released that are aesthetically similar to retired ones. For instance, avatars similar to some of the MIP ones would be nice, since all of those are awesomely designed. Especially the Nevermind one.

Personally, I feel that the event-avatars and similar should stay retired, because they're so closely connected to one, specific event and there was only one short time during which it could be gained. They were designed to be limited in nature, as to say.

On the other hand, I would have absolutely no issue with bringing back the scarce few avatars that became retired not because they always were designed to only be available for a short while but because the feature (game, etc.) granting it was removed from site.

I don't believe that event avatars should become obtainable, such as the Neopocalypse or the old Battledome ones. I agree with the majority that if you didn't work for it, or weren't there during the time, you shouldn't just be handed the opportunity to get it. It loses the pride and sense of accomplishment you get from obtaining them. However, for random/item/game type avatars, such as CoCo Roll, they should be brought back, if only for a limited time :rolleyes_anim:

I would love if Coco Roll would come back.

I'm hoping it does!

If you look at JN, you'll see that Neo is still working on several mobile functions and what not, so the app is still in works?

If so, it would be easy to bring that avatar back.

Well, I've got a mixed opinion on this. Some avatars, like certain events and things you had to log on every day to do challenges to get.. I think those should stay retired... however some of the ones that are unattainable I feel like could be rereleased in a different format perhaps. Change the colors slightly, state that they're a "second edition" or something. That way people could get the avatar they really want, but it would still be special to have the originals.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Oh the coco roller! That was once my favourite avatar and I was so sad that I couldn't get it :c

It would be cool if newcomers could work their way through old plots if that was a workable option, it would give people more reason to be on the site if nothing else, which would benefit Jumpstart. Don't think retired avatars should be resurrected though. Can't really say why, it just doesn't feel right.

It would be cool if newcomers could work their way through old plots if that was a workable option, it would give people more reason to be on the site if nothing else, which would benefit Jumpstart. Don't think retired avatars should be resurrected though. Can't really say why, it just doesn't feel right.

I'm on the fence about that. Plots have to be in the moment. Part of the fun comes from talking about them on Board 7, missing that is missing a lot. There is already one that you can go through at any time.

What Neo needs is more plots/events to keep the people here.

I agree! I would love to be able to take part in some of the plots that are now closed.

Yes, this is the main idea I agree with! I don't think all retired avatars should come back, of course, but I'd love to have the chance to play through plots that I missed...and earn some old avatars while I was at it! It might be impossible to make it work, but it's still an alluring idea. Heck, I wouldn't mind being able to play old plots without avatars...but that's a different topic ;)